• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So, 64p is a bummer. I mean with a big map like this? We will be hunting mosquitoes to no get bored until we find some enemy's.
I think the vehicles will change this a bit, since instead of people running from house to house looting stuff like in normal BR games. Groups will probably find vehicles and use those as transport. Of course, solo players will probably want to stay on foot and avoid detection.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, something like that. I also think a big 32v32 BR mode would be fun as well. Honestly I can imagine a single elimination Conquest mode with a collapsing circle, that sounds like it could be fun.

It is called "The Last Stand" and it works exactly like that, but it needs the Day 4 for the Grand Operations. (except no vehicles)

The problem is that it is only possible on the Norway operation because that is the only map which allows a tie due to the timer. Legend says that nobody has ever witnessed what happens during the Day 4 for other maps.

Alcohog

Apr 18, 2018
This should to be F2P, BR games need to have a huge playerbase to thrive. I'm sure some BFV owners will come back for this, but even Blackout is suffering population issues. PUBG maintains a healthy playerbase because it was the first big player on the scene.

Forgot about EA Access, that should help. But I still believe it should be F2P.
Like others have said, it looks good, way more interested than I expected.
I personally love what dice is doing with the challenges and the tides of war. It's fun because it gets everyone playing different featured modes.

Oct 27, 2017
It is called "The Last Stand" and it works exactly like that, but it needs the Day 4 for the Grand Operations. (except no vehicles)

The problem is that it is only possible on the Norway operation because that is the only map which allows a tie due to the timer. Legend says that nobody has ever witnessed what happens during the Day 4 for other maps.
god... yeah you're right. i even remember playing that mode and thinking 'oh this is their BR mode' guess i was wrong.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So, 64p is a bummer. I mean with a big map like this? We will be hunting mosquitoes to no get bored until we find some enemy's.
Its random areas within the map. Its not the entire map when you first drop, the firestorm is already starting.

Yep Its seems like its pretty much Last Stand.

p.s I have witness the legend a few times!

Kal Shintar

Dec 11, 2018

What? I've had at least three games of final stand on Devastation. One on Arras as well. It's much easier to get Last stand on the maps where the last match of the operation is Frontlines.

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017

The full map isn't available for every round. When you parachute in, the firestorm has already started and the first circle is active, so I imagine that's how they've tuned it to the game pacing they want while limiting to 64 players.

Also, a lower player count means the average player is winning more often. That validation cycle can be somewhat important to retaining a player base.

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
You are right guys, depending of the ring size. Nevertheless I would like to have more constant action!

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting to note that Jackfrags felt he had more BF moments in Firestorm than the actual BFV multiplayer.

FLUXCapacitor

Oct 25, 2017
It's looks super polished and seems to run great. Gameplay looks fun and it's got some good things going for it. But for me it looks just like PUBG... big maps with lots of running, driving, and looting only to get get one-shotted 20 minutes later and sent back to the lobby. The reason I love Apex so much is because of the shorter matches, smaller maps, and ability to be respawned. Even though it's a BR game it has a traditional multiplayer feel to it. I really wish there was a military shooter that had these aspects and I'm not sure sure this is it.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017

I'm 100% sure I had a final stand on Arras when the game just came out.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 100% sure I had a final stand on Arras when the game just came out.

I was being hyperbolic, I think I played The Last Stand on Devastation around launch, but the scoring in GO is just not viable.

However, I can seriously say that you get ONE last stand every 20 or 30 operations, and those can take one hour each.

Oct 27, 2017
Watched a bit of the JackFrags video on mute as I'm at work. It certainly looks polished but I can't help but feel that this mode would do better standalone F2P. I'll watch the rest later. I really like the emphasis on vehicles.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile

What? I've had at least three games of final stand on Devastation. One on Arras as well. It's much easier to get Last stand on the maps where the last match of the operation is Frontlines.

Yep, this! You can have Final Stand in Grand Ops but it's harder in some maps. I've played it in Fjell and Devastation and it was awesome, the ring is of an artillery barrage instead of fire though

The conditions to met for this to happen are weird though... it's like, one win each team, then day 3 has to be a tie in Frontlines where both teams have the same ammount of objectives left, in Conquest there must be a small difference in tickets when the time runs out, in Rush it seems that you need to be in the last sector and in Breaktrough I don't know lol

It's such a mythical mode, everytime you get it people are excited because most haven't played it.

Oct 26, 2017
So did they not invite any big BR streamers to this? Just BF streamers and media? JackFrags's video was a bit of a wet fart, and this next dude is like "i'm gonna play passive because I use a controller"... GTFO

Anyway, graphically looks great... the gun and vehicle play does look a lot like base BFV, I do wonder if it's a bit too simple mechanically with very low recoil... Inventory seems like a dumpster fire....

BF destruction is great. The actual Firestorm is great. The DBNO mechanics are a bit off. Frankly those DBNO mechanics would work better in BFV proper than they do here. It would be nice to finish enemies off rather than have them wriggle in the rubble alongside invisi-MMGs, but I digress.

We'll see. I hope the game is good. But everything about their strategy, from bundling it with BFV proper, to... whatever the hell this media strategy has been has just been way off the mark.

Oct 30, 2017
I hope it does well. My only gripe is Apex introduced a level of speed and movement that sets it apart from other BRs. Battlefield has sometimes struggled with delivering that sort of fluidity.

Oct 27, 2017

That's why the map is shrinking over time...

Also other than boasting you have 100 players in a match it didn't really do anything for PUBG or Fortnite to have these playercounts other than having technical difficulties at the beginning of a match. Most of the time the count is down to 60 or so before you even really get into a firefight.

Corthier

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
New England, USA
Very interested in trying this out with my mates, considering how much we all loved BFV in general. While two of us are big BR fans, the other two seem more willing to come along for the ride so this is exciting!

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have only seen the trailer so I am not quite sure but what is stopping tanks from going on a tear?

Its difficult enough to counter them in a normal BF game when anyone can spawn with Anti tank weaponry. What are you supposed to do to stop them here?

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UmeĂĄ, Sweden
Definetly willing to try this, see how it is. Wish they could up the player count though. That massive of a map with 64 players is gonna lead to some long moments of nothing really happening.
I have only seen the trailer so I am not quite sure but what is stopping tanks from going on a tear?

Its difficult enough to counter them in a normal BF game when anyone can spawn with Anti tank weaponry. What are you supposed to do to stop them here?
Seems like tanks need a driver and a gunner to work now. The driver unlike regular BFV cannot aim and fire the turret without jumping around inside the tank.

Oct 26, 2017
That's why the map is shrinking over time...

Also other than boasting you have 100 players in a match it didn't really do anything for PUBG or Fortnite to have these playercounts other than having technical difficulties at the beginning of a match. Most of the time the count is down to 60 or so before you even really get into a firefight.
I have conflicting thoughts on this. For one, it feels... so low effort. BF already supported 64 players. They were way ahead of the game. But here they are late to the BR party and sticking with the playercount they've been supporting since god knows when. Really? You guys couldn't push it to 128?

I kind of agree with you that 100 player BRs cull half the players instantly, often in laggy conditions. It seems like the Firestorm map isn't very hot drop intensive. Hot drops are fun, they make for good Twitch viewing.

I also don't like that the circle has already eliminated some of the map even before you drop. It helps compensate for the low player count I suppose, but on the other hand it basically proves that there was more room on the map to push for 100 players without compromising it from a gameplay perspective. And losing the ability to gamble on a really long drop on certain plane paths is some dumbing dow...I mean 'streamlining' of BR that I've already seen enough of and could do without.

Apex's low player count just leads to one ROFLstomp crew clearing out the whole map in about 10 minutes flat, then spending the next 2 to 10 minutes trying to find some coward team corner crouching the most out of the way buildings possible.

To be fair, I don't think any of the BRs has really quite nailed pacing down perfectly.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017

I have seen the one on Arras (not from Hannut) because nobody was capable of capturing the first point at all on day 3. It's the only time i ever saw it.

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I also don't like that the circle has already eliminated some of the map even before you drop. It helps compensate for the low player count I suppose, but on the other hand it basically proves that there was more room on the map to push for 100 players without compromising it from a gameplay perspective. And losing the ability to gamble on a really long drop on certain plane paths is some dumbing dow...I mean 'streamlining' of BR that I've already seen enough of and could do without.

On the flip side, this helps to keep the map fresh since there presumably won't be multiple maps for this game anytime soon. It's so easy to get bored with these game maps after an hour or two, so ensuring that certain areas of the map will be off limits from the start of each round means that you'll potentially have a little more variety in landing spots!

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Looks interesting.. However this is past the point of no return regarding BF:V for me.I'm getting tired of Battle Royal even thou I enjoy Apex due to it's goofy characters and amazing ping system.

Might try it at a mate's house or something I don't know we'll see.

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
Well I guess I am going to have to pickup BF:V soon. Looks incredible.

NikkiNailZ

Oct 27, 2017
Looking good! I just hope i can convince my rambo-style playgroup to play the BR mode instead of conquest.

Acewon

Oct 2, 2018
Im excited for this since it looks fun but it will most likely not work out since its not F2P.

This might be a test though and then they release a modern BR separately a couple of years from now. I just dont know how they can support this game with cosmetics when its set in WW2, with a modern game they can go all out with creative skins.

Oct 26, 2017
Did they seriously shove the YOU JUST LEVELED UP YOUR GUN notifications in the middle of your screen like normal multiplayer? I'm sure there's an option to disable that somewhere.. but the UI in BFV across the board has been totally wack. I'm shocked they even bothered to include a functional compass to be honest.

On the flip side, this helps to keep the map fresh since there presumably won't be multiple maps for this game anytime soon. It's so easy to get bored with these game maps after an hour or two, so ensuring that certain areas of the map will be off limits from the start of each round means that you'll potentially have a little more variety in landing spots!
I do make an effort to explore the maps of BRs I play, though yeah it's easy to get in a rut of just dropping the same spot over and over. I don't buy this as a solution to that though. PUBG felt the most natural as the parachute mechanics meant that the hot drops end up in different places depending on the plane paths, and so do long drops, or quick land for vehicle plays. All the other BRs I played you can drop in your favorite spot in seconds and it takes away from the experience IMO.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Looks good but I'm not sure if it'll replace PUBG for me. I'm sure the console versions will have aim assist, disappointed they couldn't raise the player count, I'm not a fan of how the gear from dead players is just scattered on the ground, and it's not clear to me if you can equip attachments to guns.

Looks better than expected and I hope they find success with it. I'm just not sure if it's for me.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have conflicting thoughts on this. For one, it feels... so low effort. BF already supported 64 players. They were way ahead of the game. But here they are late to the BR party and sticking with the playercount they've been supporting since god knows when. Really? You guys couldn't push it to 128?

I kind of agree with you that 100 player BRs cull half the players instantly, often in laggy conditions. It seems like the Firestorm map isn't very hot drop intensive. Hot drops are fun, they make for good Twitch viewing.

Apex's low player count just leads to one ROFLstomp crew clearing out the whole map in about 10 minutes flat, then spending the next 2 to 10 minutes trying to find some coward team corner crouching the most out of the way buildings possible.

To be fair, I don't think any of the BRs has really quite nailed pacing down perfectly.

I feel like Apex's problem could be easily solved by having some skill based matchmaking. And for a game that has such a high skill ceiling its kinda annoying that they havent added that in yet.

Oct 27, 2017
Looks good but I'm not sure if it'll replace PUBG for me. I'm sure the console versions will have aim assist, disappointed they couldn't raise the player count, I'm not a fan of how the gear from dead players is just scattered on the ground, and it's not clear to me if you can equip attachments to guns.

Looks better than expected and I hope they find success with it. I'm just not sure if it's for me.

If I understood it right you can't attach things directly but the rarer weapons will have attachments instead.