IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I like a BP if I'm only playing 1 game, it's a simple progression system and you always have a goal. But even just playing 1 other game immediately makes me not try and finish a BP. Never tried and never will try and juggle two battle passes.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP...what are you talking about?

You don't have to finish the battle pass. Just play normally, have fun, and get what you get.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Games became work years before battle passes, it started with loot box mechanics. The moment you could pay not to play it was over

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
Games became work years before battle passes, it started with loot box mechanics. The moment you could pay not to play it was over

Honestly I feel like it started with achievements. I feel like applying extrinsic motivation to gaming is one of the worst things since it tends to reduce the intrinsic motivation already existing within players.

Dantendo

Oct 27, 2017
South Australia
As much as they were fun to grind out whilst listening to a podcast, I had to stop playing Fortnite once it got to the point of feeling like a daily obligation.

Went through the same with Black Ops 4 but that was easier to drop once the weapons were put into loot boxes.

Worst part of battle passes is the amount of junk content you're earning that you'll never use in game.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Honestly I feel like it started with achievements. I feel like applying extrinsic motivation to gaming is one of the worst things since it tends to reduce the intrinsic motivation already existing within players.
I thought about they just as I was finished writing but didn't edit my post because while I do think it has some significance the idea of 100% a game or doing in game challenges to unlock extras has been around since the beginning, but it was always free and extra now with the option to buy boxes or time saver crap it removed that portion of the game and it modified it to take extra time if you did without spending money

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I have over 100+ skins in Fortnite and I only ever use a few and the same goes for my wife. What is anyone really missing out on if they don't get the latest battle pass?

I do like how each season continues to add more to their cosmetic options though. Every single skin this season had style options. Every one. Variations in both looks and colors. Every skin also got it's own pickaxe And glider. Really fucking good value. Another thing I like about the skins you buy are that they get updated over time, giving you more options to use. More value to people who already bought a skin and incentive for new buyers to jump in.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can't play Fortnite: Battle Royale without engaging in the Battle Pass. Like almost every Battle Pass there is a free tranche and a paid tranche.

Yes you can lol. What is this victim mentality? You can literally just play the game and get free rewards from the free battle pass. You don't have to touch it or interact with it.

I swear people don't want devs to make any money at all...

KiKaL

Oct 26, 2017
I definitely understand why people would be against them but I have enjoyed them so far.

My only experience with them is Rocket League which I have done once and liked and then if you count what Battlefield 5 does. The BFV one definitely kept me coming back each week and kept giving me motivation to play. For Rocket League I pretty much played as I normally did which was a lot. I never felt the urge to get to a certain level though.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
It's nice to have them in the games I care about. In others, they're just there. They don't really change much about the experience other than giving free rewards for playing.

It can sometimes feel like you're missing out if you don't purchase one, but they're usually cheap enough for the games where you want to be rewarded.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Battle passes are why I stopped playing fortnite - the first pass I loved, by the second one I was kinda like "but I don't want to get 5 grenade kills"..by the third half way through I was so tired of playing the game in ways I don't normally, just to get my full value of battle pass, I dropped the game, and never went back.

I didn't buy Apex's because of Fortnite (I've grown tired of Apex because despite 20ms / 0% PL connection I get one shot on my screen by smg's, and the death screen says I got hit 9 times - it drives me crazy)

I'm ready for a new BR...sorry...this was half Off Topic whining :)

Pennybags

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
RDR2's recent Outlaw Pass is weirdly pretty decent, considering Take Two/Rockstar online practices.

Other than the relatively steep amount in-game currency required, it progresses super quickly, doesn't require challenges to be completed, and on completion refunds you the same amount of currency required.

It only took about 4 to 5 afternoons of casual play out of the 3? months it is available. On top of that, because it's a flat 1000 xp per level you can generally play how you want and have a good cadence of unlockables.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Depends on the game. For something like Apex I enjoy the little challenges and checkboxes for something to focus on when I'm not playing with friends.

As for single player games that incorporated dailies and such like Assassins Creed Odyssey I just ignore it. Wasn't a requirement in that game.

WGMBY

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA
I guess I'm fine with it in Destiny 2 as long as any exp goes towards a battle pass level. One thing that bothered me with D2 previously was at a certain point doing patrols and other low level activities didn't get you anything unless you were doing them for a bounty or a quest. I am kinda wary of having to buy a pass every few months though, we'll see how it goes.

If D2 goes in a Fortnite-like direction of "only these activities/challenges contribute to your battle pass level", then I think I'm not gonna renew my pass when the time comes. I like playing Destiny to unwind, and don't want to be forced into particular activities.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. Every time I buy a Fortnite Battle Pass I get halfway done the challenges and get extremely bored. I play the game for the addictive gameplay loop, not to complete really shitty fetch quests that feel way more like chores than anything else.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
When Fortnite first started the Battle Pass system, I thought it was genius and quite affordable. Yet, I totally agree, it has become too much work. I pay 10 bucks a season and I have to put TONS of hours into the game in order to make it worthwhile. I stopped buying them because I know I'll never complete even a fraction of those challenges.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I like battle passes. I've 100 percented each Fortnite BP they've come out with. I find that sort of collectathon to be therapeutic.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
The "do you play games to have fun" thread title makes so much more sense after reading this thread. I swear some of you just look for things to bitch about.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Let me guess, this is another of those threads where ERA shows off their GAAS is the fucking worst circlejerk.

Guess what? You will not stop me from grinding Battlepasses and you will not stop me from playing GAAS games. None of you will

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, just dont worry about getting everything in the battle pass. It is that simple. This is like people complaining about devs making it difficult to get a platinum trophy or whatever in a game. Why does it matter so much. Do you need every shitty piece of cosmetic gear in Apex or every single ghost in Destiny? No. Fuck em. Play the game to have fun until you aren't having fun anymore, then quit. EZ. SOme people love doing this stuff, and that is also fine. Let them have their fun.

Snake Eater

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's the strategy, publishers WANT gamers to feel obligated and committed to play, that's how these service games are built

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A game doesn't get to demand your time, it needs to earn it. Don't buy into this bullshit, especially not on games that are already charging you $40-$60 for admission...

I mean, just dont worry about getting everything in the battle pass. It is that simple. This is like people complaining about devs making it difficult to get a platinum trophy or whatever in a game. Why does it matter so much. Do you need every shitty piece of cosmetic gear in Apex or every single ghost in Destiny? No. Fuck em. Play the game to have fun until you aren't having fun anymore, then quit. EZ

I would argue that battle passes cost money and the way I see it you should be entitled to all the content you paid for.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Let me guess, this is another of those threads where ERA shows off their GAAS is the fucking worst circlejerk.

Guess what? You will not stop me from grinding Battlepasses and you will not stop me from playing GAAS games. None of you will
Why do you take every opinion that disagress with you as a giant personal attack? Its so fucking weird

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Just don't buy the battle pass. They aren't meant for people that don't want that kind of content. You can still play the game without it

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
OP...what are you talking about?

You don't have to finish the battle pass. Just play normally, have fun, and get what you get.

But that doesn't make sense... you paid for that... you should get the items because you paid for them.

This is just a cheap tactic to keep the playerbase, and also making more money out of it

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Why do you take every opinion that disagress with you as a giant personal attack? Its so fucking weird

If ERA had their way, they'll ban every GAAS and Battlepass there is from existence and they'll tell me it's for my own sake. And I don't want that.

Just look at anyone who agrees with the OP. They think I'm crazy for even daring to like those games.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
This is like people who complain about developers putting out more cosmetics than is reasonable for an average person to buy and claiming they feel compelled to buy them because they're a completionist. This stuff is designed to halfway satiate the most ravenous players with the most free time. Even with all this stuff it's never enough, but they're not going to cut content from the live service plan because some people can't afford every skin as opposed to buying the stuff they want and they're not going to lower the level requirements for a battle pass so everyone can finish it. That makes no sense at all.

If you know you don't have time to play it weigh the cost and benefit of getting a portion of the stuff in the battle pass and make a purchasing decision like an adult.

Last edited:

the_kaotek1

Oct 25, 2017
I wish this thread had been posted a couple of months ago, when I decided to try the battle pass for Apex. I made it to level 25 or so, then other games came out and Apex got thrown in the back burner - I haven't played it since. I felt like I'd wasted 10 bucks (even though I was happy to spend some cash on a free game).

Never again, lesson learned.

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Depends on the game. For something like Apex I enjoy the little challenges and checkboxes for something to focus on when I'm not playing with friends.

As for single player games that incorporated dailies and such like Assassins Creed Odyssey I just ignore it. Wasn't a requirement in that game.

I've played 100 hours of Ac Odyssey and did not realize there were daily challenges until reading this, and even still I wouldn't know where to go in-game and find them. They are definitely not intrusive, nor do they hinder progress, in that game.

The only battle pass I've bought is Apex Season 1, and I think I got to level 3, lol. So yeah, not something I find any value in personally. Even Rocket League, which I have played for probably 3000+ hours, I unlock enough crap playing the way I always have. I just don't see how a Battle Pass is going to make a game more enjoyable for me.

May 25, 2019
London
Why do you feel compelled to "complete" the Battle Pass in the first place?

it's all mostly cosmetic stuff that is ultimately meaningless. I hop in and play a game of Apex every now and then. I think my Battle Pass was at Level 4 for this past season. It doesn't bother me at all, I enjoy the core gameplay enough to keep the title installed and on my desktop.

If you are only playing a game due to some FOMO and need to fill all of the meters, then it may be time to step back and do some self-examination.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Fortnite's battle pass turned into what felt like work this season. A lot of repetition of the challenges and leveling requirements to get the last skins in the pass. It sucks. I'm already expecting that I won't be able to juggle Fortnite and Destiny 2 this upcoming season.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
But that doesn't make sense... you paid for that... you should get the items because you paid for them.

This is just a cheap tactic to keep the playerbase, and also making more money out of it
That isn't how the business model works so, no, you don't deserve the items just because you paid for it. You can disagree with the model, but what you're saying has literally never existed. DLC for $10 that immediately unlocks cosmetics? Yes. That's a different thing entirely.

I thoroughly enjoy doing battlepass content and also find it incredibly easy to ignore if there's nothing on the "premium" track that makes me want it. The gamer need to 100% every single game they touch is unhealthy and shitty, and always has been in every game. People have been freaking out about missing small things since the dawn of gaming.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I would argue that battle passes cost money and the way I see it you should be entitled to all the content you paid for.

You are entitled to it. Just as younare entitled to all the content in every game you buy. That doesnt mean you will 100% them all. I play lots of games I dont beat and I havent done everything in a game since Symphony of the Night, but I certainly could if I wanted to.

Bookkoo

Apr 9, 2018
I know im in the minority but I kind of enjoy the battle pass when I play fortnite, I don't play often but I enjoy the skins and it gives me something to do other than just go for eliminations. I don't stress about getting max battle pass (i think ive only gotten to level 100 twice).. I think its 10 dollars every 2 or 3 months? I paid more for a WoW or FFXIV subscription lol

Nov 16, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I don't play fortnite or apex or most other online mp games (So there's not a ton of exposure for me) but still really enjoy destiny 2 and have just ignored the battle pass stuff. I play, get xp, get some gear and it's fun. I've never felt any sort of pressure from the game.

I tend to mostly stick to sp games and ignore all the mtx stuff in those as well. I'm about 100hrs into AC Odyssey have felt zero pressure to buy anything from the store. Even the XP booster thing was unnecessary as I was OP and over leveled after just a couple hours.

that said, I can totally understandable how FOMO can cause people to cave with their wallets. My brothers and I played through division 2 and had fun and they wanted me to buy the season pass to do the new stuff but I'd grown tired of the game loop so I ignored it and we started playing RDR2 online and I've yet to even look at the season pass stuff.

As a dad of 2 and a busy job my brain seems to have just turned that part of caring off.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
It's why I stopped playing Smite.

I completed their first Battle Pass and I had to play the game every day to finish it before the next one was released.

I paid for it. I want all of the rewards. So of course I'm gonna grind it, cause that's how I am.

Smite's BP severely impacted my playing time on Destiny, which is my forever game.

I don't think 100 levels in Destiny is gonna be too much of a problem. You get 9 easy levels each week because of the Rested XP bonus (hopefully that doesn't go away). And you can get many, many levels just participating in Iron Banner or grinding something out.

Oct 26, 2017
It's funny how the first game that implemented the Battlepass system was Dota 2 and they still have the best Battlepass implementation ever made.

GabeN always ahead

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I generally don't mind them, but BLOPs 4 was just insulting, the free one was endless decals and skins that barely looked different. And the occasional weapon thrown in.

Hero Prinny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh they dont really bother me, I just ignore them and play the game. I dont suffer from this FOMO that so many of you do

HomespunFur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You are entitled to it. Just as younare entitled to all the content in every game you buy. That doesnt mean you will 100% them all. I play lots of games I dont beat and I havent done everything in a game since Symphony of the Night, but I certainly could if I wanted to.

Yes but with a battlepass you are on a timer, if you don't do it in three months that's it.
Plus I always find it strange you can pay money to get more levels, it makes me feel like they are longer than they need to be so they can get more money out of you.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If you buy a battle pass with the expectation that you'll get everything then that's your problem right there. You're buying into a progression system. It's not 10 bucks for everything.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I generally don't mind them, but BLOPs 4 was just insulting, the free one was endless decals and skins that barely looked different. And the occasional weapon thrown in.
Actually, yeah. This is a big one. How much I enjoy them also depends on what is part of the free track. The best ones are where you can unlock the bigger, marquee things that the premium track gets but it takes longer.

Dauntless is a good example. If you buy the premium pass, you unlock the character skin immediately. The basic pass has you unlocking the pieces of it over time, but at the end of the pass both will have the full set. There's a super-duper version at the end of the premium pass now, but nonetheless. Both tracks get a full character skin at the end of the day.

Nov 10, 2017
Completely agree. Battle Passes somehow made video games feel like homework and they warp the gameplay and community around bizarre set of "run your belly and pat your head" challenges

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
Warframe implemented this a few months ago with their Nightwave system, and it has actively made me not want to play the game. It turns any event into something you have to wait on just in case it's one of the weekly challenges so you don't miss out on ranking. It really sucks and I hope games like it remove these types of systems since so much of the new content is locked behind the battle passes.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
It would be kind of nice if they just gave you every challenge for a season all at once and let you knock it out at your own pace.