forrest

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This is definitely on the list for me to pick up OP. Looking to get it digitally on Switch if the price is right. I'm a bit overloaded on games right now, playing Destiny 2, haven't touched my copy of Mario Odyssey, but I'm definitely looking forward to Battlechasers!

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
What exactly makes the combat good? From what I see, it seems like a rather middling turn-based RPG that's tuned to be too easy and ultimately underutilizes the vast amount of its mechanics.
Go back to the old country and look at the thread there if you think it looks too easy. Almost universally, people actually thought it was too hard and the devs smoothed the difficulty because of it. The difficulty does taper off late game with some of the top end gear and the ability to overlevel, but there isn't a JRPG out there that isn't true for.

Anyway, in response to your question, the game has really strong role-oriented mechanics and fun, flexible, totally distinct characters.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still in the earlier stages of the game, but I love how brilliantly the tank + heal + dps system works. Haven't had any problems with the difficulty so far (latest patch).

Pedetemptim

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I bought Battle Chasers because of the favorable impressions I've seen everywhere. As I'm a fan of turn-based RPGs, and the combat system was very well received, it seemed to be a very safe purchase. Much to my surprise, I ended up uninstalling the game a couple of hours in, for reasons entirely unrelated to the combat system, which I did like: I always welcome experiments with mana.

You see, Harm's Way, the town that serves as the party's base, makes no sense at all. It consists of six buildings, all of which house businesses. How do they manage to stay afloat? The island the game is set on is ravaged by bandits. You pass through an abandoned village before arriving in Harm's Way. All other common people appear to have been driven out. The bandits themselves aren't allowed in Harm's Way and get thrown out by the blacksmith (I'm not sure why they don't torch the town in response to such treatment). The bandits also intercept and kill all outsiders who attempt to enter their territory, and the playable party seems to be the only group that managed to get through the blockade. So who was it that fueled the economy of Harm's Way before the party's arrival? Who did the merchants sell their goods to? If there were no customers left, why did these skilled artisans choose to stay behind instead of fleeing the land?

The straw that broke the camel's back was the fairly large sewer system found under Harm's Way. A sewer system. Under a town with a population of six. How much waste does each of the six inhabitants have to produce to make a couple of holes in the ground an inadequate disposal measure? Who commissioned the construction? Who provided the manual labor? Where did the funding come from?

These questions didn't just flash in my head once or twice. They kept plaguing my mind as I attempted to advance further, and they sucked all the fun of out of the dungeon crawling. For the first time in my life, I found myself incapable of enjoying a game exclusively because of its inability to provide convincing narrative framing. I blame the Trails series. I should probably stay away from fantasy games from now on, unless I know that serious effort went into their world building.

Note that this isn't meant to be an attack on Battle Chasers or the tastes of people who enjoy the game. As a straightforward sword and sorcery dungeon crawler, it appears to be quite solid from what I've played, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with liking straightforward sword and sorcery dungeon crawlers. I used to like them too. My experience with the game was surprising to myself: I knew what I was getting, I got exactly that, and yet I was still disappointed because a shift in my tastes had managed to occur unnoticeably and stay unnoticed until then.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
Eh...none of that is true in my playtime? It's pretty challenging and I'm forced to constantly be aware of my HP/MP stores, use my perks, and strategize all the time.

What makes you think so? Sorry, but this is a pretty dismissive post and I'd be more inclined to address actual examples and points.

Sorry, I was not in a very good mood when I made that post. The reason I ask is that it seems to follow a similar line of tedium that many turn-based JRPGs that derive from Dragon Quest do. Namely that

1. A Lack of Renewable resources makes general combat encounters deficient in complexity to be satisfying. (I believe this game tries to remedy this with an overcharge mechanic, but many of the combat encounters I've seen seem solvable by just using the standard attack). As a result, you are limited not in your thinking, but how many potions you have on hand which doesn't really make for satisfying heuristics in my experience.
2. The non-existence of "space" leads to competition between who has the most MP and HP which is not complex enough to be satisfying. SMT, for example, remedies this by making Turns be what the player competes over with the enemies for example (it's not the best example since trade-offs don't really exist for hitting weaknesses in those games though).
3. The stress on efficiency isn't tight enough usually. What I like in games that Zeboyd works on is that they tend to make enemies stronger as the battle goes on which puts more stress on using resources and making trade-offs.
4. The emphasis on DPS limits other components in my experience such as defense.
5. Status effects also often overlap or aren't effective enough which isn't that interesting. For something that gets around this, Pokemon has some issues like the standard Poison status being basically just a worse Burn, but the difference between being paralyzed and being burned or being afflicted with Toxic is hugely drastic because of the impact on stats that is nearly permanent (in multiplayer).

So how does the game get around these issues? I am admittedly interested if you say that it's actually rather difficult.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I was not in a very good mood when I made that post. The reason I ask is that it seems to follow a similar line of tedium that many turn-based JRPGs that derive from Dragon Quest do. Namely that

1. A Lack of Renewable resources makes general combat encounters deficient in complexity to be satisfying. (I believe this game tries to remedy this with an overcharge mechanic, but many of the combat encounters I've seen seem solvable by just using the standard attack). As a result, you are limited not in your thinking, but how many potions you have on hand which doesn't really make for satisfying heuristics in my experience.
2. The non-existence of "space" leads to competition between who has the most MP and HP which is not complex enough to be satisfying. SMT, for example, remedies this by making Turns be what the player competes over with the enemies for example (it's not the best example since trade-offs don't really exist for hitting weaknesses in those games though).
3. The stress on efficiency isn't tight enough usually. What I like in games that Zeboyd works on is that they tend to make enemies stronger as the battle goes on which puts more stress on using resources and making trade-offs.
4. The emphasis on DPS limits other components in my experience such as defense.
5. Status effects also often overlap or aren't effective enough which isn't that interesting. For something that gets around this, Pokemon has some issues like the standard Poison status being basically just a worse Burn, but the difference between being paralyzed and being burned or being afflicted with Toxic is hugely drastic because of the impact on stats that is nearly permanent (in multiplayer).

So how does the game get around these issues? I am admittedly interested if you say that it's actually rather difficult.

1. In my experience, each encounter on the overworld is challenging. You can outlevel in an area, but usually the next area you go to will have enemies at your level or higher. I wouldn't say anything I've run in to in a new area can be beat simply with light attacks. The overcharge mechanic encourages you to use normal attacks because it can then power up your special moves (Garrus especially). You could, of course, stock up on potions, just as you can overlevel in any RPG and bypass any strategy with the use of heals/items.

2. I don't think this is true since the roles work really well and anybody dying means your party is going to be far less efficient, no matter who has the most MP/HP.

3. In dungeons, I typically don't have many items, so I have to be efficient, or else I'm constantly running back and forth to Harm's way in order to heal up. Dungeons, for me, are an endurance run. This is, of course, partially self imposed because I have never used items much in RPGs, and also because money is still hard for me to come by and any items that are worth anything for healing are expensive and/or I don't have the items to craft.

4. I actually love defense in this game. I prefer using Gully/Alumon and building shields around my party so that they can survive attacks. I use Monica instead of Garrus (because I like her more), and focus on debuffs so that when I do hit, my attacks do more damage and I can get more critical hits. Defense is very, very strong in this game, in my opinion.

5. Status effects are hit and miss. There are several that make your physical attacks/magic attacks do more. There are debuffs that guarantee certain attacks will give you criticals when the enemy is afflicted with that ailment. There are ailments that stack like Bleed, Ignite, Chill, that, combined with creating shields can wittle enemies down while you buff yourself. And your party can be afflicted with these as well which makes them even more dangerous as they stack and cause you more damage.

Also, I must note, that I never do any dungeon on normal, I always run Hard/Legendary. Several of the sidequests I've run into have been far out of my level (found a hangman type enemy that just one-shots me...also Caldeus, lol). Dungeons are all really fun and, like I said, I have to be careful with how I spend Mana/Items, since I don't want to waste time constantly running back and forth from the main hub back to the dungeon.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
The status effects are the MVP here. The fact that you can inflict multiple different types, and that you can stack more than one of the same type, has great impact on the combat. The enemies can do the same, so you cleansing your debuffs becomes quite important. The enemies also have interesting buffs where for example, a curse type effect might deal damage to players every turn, or even enemy killed will increase damage received by 1%, etc. All of these effects keep you on your toes.

The different roles players have also play a very important role. For example, if you are not tanking, you can easily get one or two shot even in random encounters.

Overcharge is also a neat little system to preserve resources and buff up at the same time, but the trade off is that you're wasting turns using weaker moves and taking longer to beat enemies and prolonging the fight. This can have impacts where enemies have certain status buffs where they get stronger every attack dealt to them, so ideally you want to beat them as quickly as possible. All these status effects and abilities play well together with each other.

Money is very tight in the game (at least before patches when I played it), so you won't have many potions for healing or reviving. If you play the game in Heroic directly (or Legendary after latest patch), then the difficulty and challenge will be fine.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
i was on the edge of buying it, and just purchased it today.
Thanks for the recommendation Silky!

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
game looks great. waiting on the Switch version personally, hopefully it runs well

Picked up the physical PS4 release when my local Gamestop finally got a copy. Played for a few hours but got distracted along with School/Work. Looks like im getting a Switch soon so I might just wait and get it on there too. This game would be the perfect jrpg for the Switch!

Have they given any updates on the release window for the Switch version?

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Hm, still getting crashes, like once every day, even after the latest patch. Playing on PS4 Pro.

Sometimes it gets stuck into infinite loading screen.
I still really like the game. But the more I play, the more it feels unpolished.
Hope everything will be fixed with the Switch release.

Last edited:

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the game due to how difficult it is on Heroic and Legendary. You can get wiped out any time.

So what's your favorite party setup? I'm currently running Garrison, Alumon, Knolan from Gar, Al, and Red Monika.

Hm, still getting crashes, like once every day, even after the latest patch. Playing on PS4 Pro.

Sometimes it gets stuck into infinite loading screen.
I still really like the game. But the more I play, the more it feels unpolished.
Hope everything will be fixed with the Switch release.

I get crashes still from PS4 Pro but never infinite loading screen and there's also this weird hitches.

It's most likely that it will be worse on Switch given the hardware, hopefully they could put out another patch,

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a fan of Joe Mad art style, but the game looks very fun. I will consider it on Switch.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I was sad when I heard that party members not in battle earn 0 experience. I know a lot of games do this and I know it doesn't really make sense that a member who didn't participate in the battle would get any experience anyway, but it kinda bums me out. Makes me much more likely to just pick me 3 favourites and never change, which I don't really like doing.

Still interested in the game though.

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I remember them saying that they were waiting for certain Unity updates/patches before committing to a Switch release date, that was two months ago. Any word since then?

Excited to play this on my Switch.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
I bought this after a friend recommended it and I'm mostly having fun with it. I'm worried it may soon become too repetitive since the first three starting characters are great but then you get:
-Nolan, a mage with no synergy with the rest who also heals, but... meh?
-Monica, a rogue that honestly looks ridiculous and I'm not sure if I can get over it.
So... am I going to be playing with the same three characters for the whole game?

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
I bought this after a friend recommended it and I'm mostly having fun with it. I'm worried it may soon become too repetitive since the first three starting characters are great but then you get:
-Monica, a rogue that honestly looks ridiculous and I'm not sure if I can get over it.
So... am I going to be playing with the same three characters for the whole game?

I haven't received my game yet, but even i can tell you there's more than 3 characters, so don't worry.

Ravidrath

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm enjoying the game as I research Calibretto for his appearance in our game, but I have to say... I have never seen a better case study on the importance of good battle music.

While the animations and sound effects have good impact, battles just kind of feel empty and slow without something catchy playing behind them.

Also, I think Switch is definitely going to be the definitive version of the game. It has some pretty addictive grind loops that I think will feel better on the go than on the couch.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Later on you can make a better team than the starting three, simply because the starting team becomes a little slow to take down enemies.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Man, this game is killing my soul.
The more I play it, the more I want it to end.
I really liked the game in the beginning.

I think I'm at the 5th dungeon and always choose legendary difficulty. The game is still crashing every day, in many different situations (PS4 Pro, all patches installed).
The loading times are often way too long and frequent. Everything is slow. The combat, the loading times and even the menus are sloppy / janky.
Also not a fan of the soundtrack. I already played more than 70 hours, but it feels like there are only 2 different tracks, because they all sound very similar / generic.

The technical problems are really hurting the experience. There are many framerate skips in battle animations too.
And man, the enemy variety is really boring. Feels like I'm fighting the same bandits, skeletons and spiders, over and over again.

At first the game felt like and 7 or 8 out of 10.
Now it feels more like 6/10

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
This looks so damn good. I'm patietly waiting for the Switch version, but I'll grab it on PC if I see a great deal.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Is the Pro version 60 fps or not? Seems strange to only have separate parts of the game at 60.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Wow, now I only see a black screen when these comic cutscenes appear. Even restarting the console didn't help. Seems like I have to "enjoy" all cutscenes with sound only from now on, lol.

It's a technical mess on PS4.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, now I only see a black screen when these comic cutscenes appear. Even restarting the console didn't help. Seems like I have to "enjoy" all cutscenes with sound only from now on, lol.

It's a technical mess on PS4.

Thats a shame. Did this start happening after the latest update on PS4? Are you on a regular or Pro PS4?

I bought the game for PS4 when Gamestop finally got the physical version in, but I havent started it yet. Was going to just wait and get the Switch version. But it looks like its been delayed with no date in sight atm. Might just end up getting the Steam version if it seems to be working fine still...

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Thats a shame. Did this start happening after the latest update on PS4? Are you on a regular or Pro PS4?

I bought the game for PS4 when Gamestop finally got the physical version in, but I havent started it yet. Was going to just wait and get the Switch version. But it looks like its been delayed with no date in sight atm. Might just end up getting the Steam version if it seems to be working fine still...

Playing on Pro 1080p TV.
The game had a lot of crashes before, without the patches.

Edit: Just had another heavy bug. I couldn't move on the world map anymore, because the dots which show your path where you can go disappeared. Luckily a restart of the game helped and the dots were back, so i could walk the path again.

Last edited:

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
GAME Spain is saying the retail Switch version is now cancelled :(

https://twitter.com/VideojuegosGAME/status/935435667852746752

I can't make threads yet, so I didn't know where to post it. Sorry if this isn't the place.

Well this is concerning. I get the impression a lot of people were looking for that Switch version. Let's hope it isn't cancelled...

Oct 27, 2017
Does it have a "hard" mode? Turn-based RPGs are usually piss easy to me unless they're dragon quest.

Keeping eye out for switch release.

lolilolailo

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully it's just physical and not digital too, but given their talk about port troubles I am concerned. I would have thought the Switch version is too important for them to scrap though - pretty sure it's been highlighted by Nintendo too?
The game was in a Direct IIRC, so it's highlighted, yeah.

I have the Switch version preordered, and seeing how well indie games sell, I hope they don't cancel it :/