• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of my favorite games on NES. And until Batman Arkham City this was my favorite Batman game.

0hYqXUSBAGP1jE1enDYifdbHeM88qmRbWzIeLz_HT4-f80ZRSy0DsyxsmuJ-UwpS7AWhAIXMu-3464-2Gq3NbyYhbc_1yQWFsuDaa03zGD2gx0nWEperdw

Developed by Sunsoft and released in 1989 this game did everything right starting by the most important, the gameplay:

Gameplay: This is an action / platformer game. Batman is fun and easy to control (even today). He can climb the walls and has a few weapons (4) but all of them are useful in different situations. The game is difficult, but for a NES game it has a normal difficulty.

PiercingDrearyBluetickcoonhound-size_restricted.gif

Level design: The levels are linear, but there are few shortcuts and they use the verticality very well. Overall you rarely feel like you are doing the same thing with the levels or when fighting the enemies

tumblr_p0oqm75VT91tdkro1o8_r1_250.gifv

Graphics: for a NES game, the graphics are phenomenal and varied. Each level has its own distinctive look.

DSKphg.gif

j2xviHj.gif

bYsYvlEDr06DpmFcMx6agjzW1w4t9cM6LuwLgvx-cuXYn1e0kjqKDtbiGSa7ZeQ0E_aKS30kuRXRyNvlI28-SqHQP7Rpl3v21sXSsHSPWWyDxzLK

Music: this is one of the best use of the NES audio I know off. And more importantly the tunes are really catchy, you will remember a few of them.

I played others batman on others machines, but until the PS3 / X360 games I found them all inferior to the NES game. The sequel (Batman Return of the Joker) is also excellent, even if it's more action.

So did you play this classic? Because if you didn't, you really should !

tumblr_n459e3jUrl1qegdapo1_400.gifv

Last edited:

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed it a lot as a kid, though I could never get past level 5(i think)

really liked the wall jumping mechanics

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still the best Batman game. The levels could use a little more visual variety but other than that, no big complaints.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Not in my NES top 10, but it's a great game and has the typical superb sunsoft presentation for the time.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Awesome game, rad soundtrack. I once watched a band play the music live over a live speedrun on stage.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best Nintendo soundtrack ever. I also loved how you could skip one particular boss in the game too. Small touches like his cape billowing as he lands is superb detail.

I'd pay for a remaster.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This is one of my favorite games on NES. And until Batman Arkham City this was my favorite Batman game.

0hYqXUSBAGP1jE1enDYifdbHeM88qmRbWzIeLz_HT4-f80ZRSy0DsyxsmuJ-UwpS7AWhAIXMu-3464-2Gq3NbyYhbc_1yQWFsuDaa03zGD2gx0nWEperdw

Developed by Sunsoft and released in 1989 this game did everything right starting by the most important, the gameplay:

Gameplay: This is an action / platformer game. Batman is fun and easy to control (even today). He can climb the walls and has a few weapons (4) but all of them are useful in different situations. The game is difficult, but for a NES game it has a normal difficulty.

PiercingDrearyBluetickcoonhound-size_restricted.gif

Level design: The levels are linear, but there are few shortcuts and they use the verticality very well. Overall you rarely feel like you are doing the same thing with the levels or when fighting the enemies

tumblr_p0oqm75VT91tdkro1o8_r1_250.gifv

Graphics: for a NES game, the graphics are phenomenal and varied. Each level has its own distinctive look.

DSKphg.gif

j2xviHj.gif

bYsYvlEDr06DpmFcMx6agjzW1w4t9cM6LuwLgvx-cuXYn1e0kjqKDtbiGSa7ZeQ0E_aKS30kuRXRyNvlI28-SqHQP7Rpl3v21sXSsHSPWWyDxzLK

Music: this is one of the best use the NES audio I know off. And more importantly the tunes are really catchy, you will remember a few of them.

I played others batman on others machines, but until the PS3 / X360 games I found them all inferior to the NES game. The sequel (Batman Return of the Joker) is also excellent, even if it's more action.

So did you play this classic? Because if you didn't, you really should !

tumblr_n459e3jUrl1qegdapo1_400.gifv

After this game, the best Batman was Batman Returns for the SNES by Konami.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Really loved this game and Its music was so good. This thread made me want to play it after decades.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
This game kicked my ass when I was a kid. Between limited gaming time and being a kid, I don't think I ever got past the second level or so.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It's a hell of a game! Used to love playing it. Always liked the look of it. Love the shit out of purple Batman.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I remember this game fondly.

Even as a kid at that age, I had already begun to develop a strong weariness of licensed games, since 90+% of my previous experiences had been terrible. So when a friend rented this one and showed it to me, I was like "Oh boy, this is gonna suck." Then I started playing and at first I was completely dubious. Wait, this... doesn't suck? No this can't be! There's gotta be a catch. Surely it has got to get wor... YOU CAN WALLJUMP!? WHAAAT. And the music rocks!? And this weapon that splits into 3 is super amazing!? YOU NEED TO DROP AND WALLJUMP off to the left make it accross without getting hit by the electricity coil!? Okay. This is amazing. Then it got super hard and I never really made it past the 5th level. I really should return to it.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I miss the era where you can have movie videogames that could be really really good.

What era was that? Because the 8, 16 and 32 bit eras were notorious for having awful movie licensed games. For every Batman, there were 20 horrible licensed games.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely loved it. When Arkham Asylum came out, I saw people saying things like "The first good Batman game!" and I just remembered this.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is one of my favorite games ever. I got to the point where I could pretty easily beat it but what really blows me away are the speedruns of fit. It was neat to first see they actually use a couple of tricks I figured out on my own back in the day but the stuff they go much further with is incredible to watch. So much weapon swapping on the go.

OP
OP
Andromeda

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Really loved this game and Its music was so good. This thread made me want to play it after decades.
Do it ! The game is still very enjoyable, it has aged very well.

It's a hell of a game! Used to love playing it. Always liked the look of it. Love the shit out of purple Batman.
I feel the same. I think it's because the devs were constrained by the NES hardware, so they had to be creative and the results are great. It's dark, which is fitting for a Batman game, but also detailed because all the dark areas cost nothing so they could put more details elsewhere.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love the game OP and it trumps the SNES games too(I love those too)..... However it can't hold a candle to the adventures of Batman and Robin for the Sega Genesis. I have a softer spot for TAS and that game just oozes style. When you see it in motion on a CRT it's just mind blowing that a Sega Genesis was capable of that. Really nifty programming
BelovedRingedBug-max-1mb.gif

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The hardest game i've ever played. Couldn't almost make it to the first boss. I even had better time with lion king and aladdin

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the aesthetic and music way back then.

Op you would be interested to know of Cybershadow, it's heavily inspired by the game, you may even recognize similar sfx. Out this year I think?

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed this game a lot as a kid. I have memories of it being very difficult and I don't think I ever beat it until I was much older.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
This is the game that took me from video games are a fun diversion to a full on love of the hobby. It will always have a special place in my heart.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Fun final fight style beat em up. Well worth it if you're a Batman fan and specifically the Burton films.
I am kind of sick of beat em ups.

The exception is always Turtles in Time. For some reason I can always play that and it never gets old for me.

You need someone else playing with you or it is not fun and thats tough to find at this stage in my life.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Not exactly the same but did clear the game boy version, not too sure if I got that far on the nes one

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Incredibly underrated in every way. I LOVE NES Batman.

Return of the Joker is also really good but quite different. Pushes the NES really hard and looks great. Also has a killer OST.

Last edited:

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the best art and music on the platform, and downright astonishing for 1989. And then it plays brilliantly to boot! Walljumps have never felt so good again.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I am kind of sick of beat em ups.

The exception is always Turtles in Time. For some reason I can always play that and it never gets old for me.

You need someone else playing with you or it is not fun and thats tough to find at this stage in my life.
Oh, well in that case I can't recommend it to you then lol.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Great game of course!

Small anecdote: Rented the game in the day. I recorded some of the music to audio cassette.

Months and years later I couldn't remember what game had that awesome music! I think it might have taken me until I got on the net and discovered emulation until I confirmed it again for myself.

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Got this game by accident back in 89-90. Someone left it behind in an groxery store shopping cart in the parking lot. My little sister had grabbed it and brought it home.

Enjoyed it, purple batsuit, wall jumping and all.

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
I only remember how freakin' hard this was back then and some how I managed to beat the game. I felt like a god. Then onto Ninga Gaiden :P

Jun 22, 2018
Loved it. My favorite Uncle got this game for me for Christmas when I was like seven, even though he had caught some bad breaks, lost his job, and didn't have much money. Still remember sitting on my bedroom floor playing it with him on Christmas morning while the adults all chatted in the living room. Later that year, my pretentious aunt left him, the family stopped talking to him, and I never saw him again. Still think of him when I fire it up! Think I'm gonna try to look him up now actually and say thanks.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
One of the many NES games I played as a kid but could never beat. Still had fun playing it though. Good times.