• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Mine is:

Ladders.

Specifically, why do designers make two speeds to climb one, slow and hold sprint to climb fast when there is no stamina system?

Has anyone in the history of gaming ever thought "Oh no, a ladder. I hope they don't make me climb it too fast!"

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Mine is:

Ladders.

Specifically, why do designers make two speeds to climb one, slow and hold sprint to climb fast when there is no stamina system?

Has anyone in the history of gaming ever thought "Oh no, a ladder. I hope they don't make me climb it too fast!"

Climbing ladders at the speed of light ruins my immersion. /s
Speaking of ladders, I hate when games will let you climb up the wrong side of them.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
pokemon firered and leafgreens recap feature for when you come back to an rpg after not playing for a while.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
All the old FPS games had it right from the start. Full speed running by default, with an optional "walk" key for weirdos. Nowadays we have to hold an extra button to sprint, and it stops us from shooting? Who thought of this crap

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
GameCube had analog triggers... Everything they have released since doesn't. Basically denying themselves access to sim racers.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Supreme Commander invented strategic zoom where you can zoom in and out with the mouse wheel to see the entire map and no other RTS game uses it. It was and still is a breakthrough.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Oct 25, 2017
Just let me have a spreadsheet for my inventory and no postage stamp sized text, jfc.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
ITT: QOL = Design Choices
(Subtitles arent a design issue, design issues are dumb problems that random games solve and then every other game seems to ignore)

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
Reloading in games. Improved a lot by Active reload from Gears of war. In games where you primarily shoot reloading is the one thing that consistently gets in the way of the fun part, but it's never that big of an issue I guess because it's only for a couple seconds. And you can use that time to heal or scout your next target.

But still, active reload gave each gun a uniqueness to it, as well as having its own skill, and risk reward system. It made something that people often forget about a fun mini game. It was something that when I first did it I thought every shooter would copy and yet I can't think of one that ever did.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
How the industry hasn't universally accepted triangle to switch guns and circle to reload is beyond me. It feels like every game changes it slightly to fuck it up.

They added subtitles a few days ago

Circle? You mean square?

Triangle/Y to switch weapons and Circle/X to reload is the standard.

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
Back in the PS1/N64 days when devs were trying to port RTS games to console it became clear that controllers are terrible input devices for controlling a mouse cursor but for some reason it has come back in the last couple of years and every other bloody game uses it for their menus nowadays. The D pad is a tried and tested method for quick, accurate menu input but we have to use a slow, clunky cursor instead

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
All the old FPS games had it right from the start. Full speed running by default, with an optional "walk" key for weirdos. Nowadays we have to hold an extra button to sprint, and it stops us from shooting? Who thought of this crap

FPS is a genre where realism is appreciated. It's not something abstract like a Metroidvania or a JRPG.

Not making a noise near a enemy to surprise them is a thing in most competitive FPS. While some have sprint as default, others have the notion that people are not realistically sprinting by default, or that's kinda hard to run and shoot at the same time.

There's an argument in saying that maybe older FPS devs didn't want to bother with stuff like that back then because wasn't worth it with older hardware.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vehicle controls in FPS games. Why do most of them use GTA style controls that are overly complicated when Halo perfected it almost 20 years ago.

Field of view slider.

Those usually are not options due to technical reasons. Increasing the FOV means more things need to be rendered on screen. Granted, an FOV slider should be an option on the Xbox One X.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Reloading in games. Improved a lot by Active reload from Gears of war. In games where you primarily shoot reloading is the one thing that consistently gets in the way of the fun part, but it's never that big of an issue I guess because it's only for a couple seconds. And you can use that time to heal or scout your next target.

But still, active reload gave each gun a uniqueness to it, as well as having its own skill, and risk reward system. It made something that people often forget about a fun mini game. It was something that when I first did it I thought every shooter would copy and yet I can't think of one that ever did.
The best reloading is Tediore guns in Borderlands, where reloading is an attack that's stronger depending on how many leftover bullets you give up with it. You can intentionally reload with nearly full magazines as a burst damage tactic in exchange for ammo efficiency.

Also Splatoon where reloading also includes crouching, healing, sprinting, and climbing all at once.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Those usually are not options due to technical reasons. Increasing the FOV means more things need to be rendered on screen. Granted, an FOV slider should be an option on the Xbox One X.
Oh whoops, that's a damn good point. Still, I really wish more games would sacrifice some visual fidelity for a FOV option.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh whoops, that's a damn good point. Still, I really wish more games would sacrifice some visual fidelity for a FOV option.
I would think some games could possible work with a limited FOV slider. It would be nice for example to increase the FOV in Halo 3 on MCC.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Shuffling teams if they make for uncompetitive matches and only matching parties with other parties in matchmaking. The second is especially mind blowing as to why it is still a thing in so many competitive games.

One of my biggest design gripes is when better performing players are rewarded with better performing equipment/guns/powers/etc. which increases their competitive advantage even more. Solved by cosmetic rewards. Even if cosmetic rewards don't hook people like powerful rewards too (I disagree, and many successful titles of today would too), the trade off is worth it because the alternative is so damn stupid for player retention reasons alone.

fargodog

Banned
Feb 24, 2019
How are we so far into the dark and twisted world of video games and it still comes as a pleasant surprise to us when a game has a good UI and UX?

Oxyrain

Oct 25, 2017
Supreme Commander invented strategic zoom where you can zoom in and out with the mouse wheel to see the entire map and no other RTS game uses it. It was and still is a breakthrough.

I miss strategic zoom and it's pretty jarring in other games when you try to do it and it's not available. I think it was a feature of the Spring Engine games before SupCom was announced but wasn't as smooth when scrolling the wheel.

GlassCup64

Dec 16, 2017
I recall reading a report that players essentially expect a run button. Otherwise, it feels "weird."

GameCube had analog triggers... Everything they have released since doesn't. Basically denying themselves access to sim racers.
Nintendo got caught in a lawsuit around the analog triggers and since then have not implemented them in any games or proceeding controllers.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Back in the PS1/N64 days when devs were trying to port RTS games to console it became clear that controllers are terrible input devices for controlling a mouse cursor but for some reason it has come back in the last couple of years and every other bloody game uses it for their menus nowadays. The D pad is a tried and tested method for quick, accurate menu input but we have to use a slow, clunky cursor instead

Oh yeah I hate this trend as well. It is a totally cheap cop out for not wanting to invest time in a snappy controller centric UI.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Games not letting you use the D-pad to navigate menus and UI. Why would I EVER use the analogue stick for that.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like the idea of 'run button's or rather, basically anything that I'm actively doing to make my character faster, so I actually like the ladder thing. Feels like I have more control even when doing something super basic.

Deleted member 7948

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you cant pause cutscenes in dmc v and theres no subtitles in the spyro remakes.
SUBTITLES
  • Added subtitles in all languages (across all three games) for previously unsupported cinematics, including:
    • Character headers to identify active speakers
    • Succinct line splits for readability
    • Colored text for improved character association in most languages

https://support.activision.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Latest-Updates-for-Spyro-Reignited-Trilogy

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
There's one thing I see crop up once in awhile that annoys me, and that's not hiding your monster clossets well. Like Destiny where it is often just a black cut out with a bit of a glowy effect so you know what it is. It's better than enemies just poping into existence when they respawn, but would it be so bad to add a door or something?

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
Press X to interact. Also X makes you jump... over the thing you're trying to interact with. Looking at you FFXV.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Another thing is EA Sports games. It's not any one specific thing, but they're always taking away or breaking something that worked perfectly fine in a previous installment. And sometimes it's really really basic shit, like just being able to edit a player, or not tracking a normal career stat in franchise.

Feb 15, 2019
While not exactly basic, Smite has an entire system for communication without having to stop moving or talk to other people called the VGS (Voice Guided System) and it absolutely makes cooperating with your teammates so much easier and I can't stand it that other people just haven't stolen that concept and reused it with their own spin.