• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
www.cnn.com

Barr says Trump's tweets about DOJ cases make it 'impossible to do my job'

Attorney General William Barr on Thursday rebuked President Donald Trump for publicly commenting on sensitive investigations but insisted the Justice Department had acted appropriately after an extraordinary falling out with career prosecutors who had handled the case of Roger Stone earlier this...

Orangina ain't gonna be happy.

AG Barr: I'm not going to be bullied by the President

"To have public statements and tweets made about the department, about people in the department, our men and women here, about cases pending in the department and about judges before whom we have cases, make it impossible for me to do my job," Barr said, "and to assure the courts and the prosecutors in the department that we're doing our work with integrity."

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Bet you everything I have he talked with Trump before this to let him know he'd say this bullshit. All is well.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if he knows there's going to be investigations into the Roger Stone thing and he wants to separate himself from that.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Barr drawing a line in the sand. Right behind Trump.

This is just theatre.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
The New York Times made it pretty clear Barr is trying to give himself and the President cover for having collaborated reduced Stone's sentence. So Barr's putting on a show to try and say there was no...collusion...basically.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Who's actually buying Barr's crocodile tears?

Isn't this just posturing to try distract from his DOJ giving Stone a lighter sentence because Donny whined about it on Twitter?

AtomLung

Oct 25, 2017
"I want to be Trump's fixer, but he isn't holding up the guise of impartiality, so I have to pretend like I'm troubled"

stew

Dec 2, 2017
This dipshit won't do anything, but I hope it will make Trump respond to him, and then let them fight.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Theater

If he's so upset he can resign. He won't because he likely already told Trump what he'll say to the press and his statements are all just a BS show.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
"The fact that the tweets are out there and correspond to things we're doing at the department sort of give grist to the mill and that's why I think it's time to stop the tweeting about the Department of Justice criminal cases," Barr said.

cYL7hSz.gif

Right.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you should silence the POTUS! I like how the POTUS tells it like it is! If you don't like it maybe you should quit!

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"I'm not going to be bullied by the President. Bottom bitches deserve more respect than that."

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
He's laying the ground work before he has to testify. Trying to act like he wasn't asked by Trump to help Stone.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck off Bill Barr, you're the most corrupt AG in American history. Trump's tweets don't make it impossible to do your job, because you're just doing everything that Trump wants you to do via Twitter. Trump tweets with impunity because of how you protect him.

And to think, I was kind of giving him the benefit of the doubt when Jeff Sessions resigned and I was like "oh, interesting, Trump is bringing in a veteran of the Justice Department, who will probably be deferential to the law and tradition Justice Dept..."

His job is to cover up crimes, but it's impossible to cover up crimes when the guy committing the crimes keeps yelling "EYY, LOOK AT MY BOY HERE, COVERING UP MY CRIMES!"

Yeah, but Barr also issued the memorandum that sitting presidents cannot be indicted which carte blanch gives Trump the ability to commit whatever crimes without Barr needing to cover them up.

Bill Barr looking for any kind of sympathy can lick by bum pimples.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Just theater to give the illusion that the DoJ is still independent to quell the justified outrage for Trump taking full control of the department.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
He is just upset that Trump has already publicly exposed his meddling to the world. He's telling Trump that he's saying the quiet part out loud.

stew

Dec 2, 2017
Barr will also have to testify in Congress in the end of March, he's clearly covering himself.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Did something happen? Why is he suddenly making public statement critical of Trump?

It's likely around the Roger Stone fiasco.

Roger Stone, a long time Trump ally and campaign surrogate, was found guilty of 7 / 7 charges in his trial about lying to congress, witness tampering, campaign finance violations, and other charges. Because Stone also threatened a witness ("Prepare to die," he said) and numerous other violations of good will during his trial, Government prosecutors who report to Bill Barr, recommended a stiff sentence 7-9 years. This is a significant prison sentence for Stone, I know others may want longer, but it was stiff and it was mostly around Stone's behavior at trial. He did other things like Instagramming the face and name of the judge hearing the trial, in and of itself given Stones' explosive allies, something that could be taken as a threat, he violated multiple gag orders, and tried to interfere in Bob Mueller's investigation of Trump.

Barr, through an intermediary, issued a statement that the Government would be officially contradicting their prosecutors, and requesting a reduced sentence. This was made public on Fox News. Prosecutors found out about this through Fox News, not even from their own department. It was public before the prosecutors even heard about it, despite that they recommended the sentence a day before AND that the recommendation would have certainly been approved by the Justice Dept before they went through with it. Coincidentally, Donald Trump took to twitter in the very early morning hours -- likely sitting on the toilet -- saying that Stone has been unfairly treated, is completely innocent, and that his recommended sentence was too harsh and not deserved and that he'd do something about it.

As a result, the four government prosecutors who had made the case against Stone withdrew from the trial in protest. One of them actually resigned from the Justice Dept. as a federal prosecutor (which is a low-paying but much sought after role for any lawyer, federal prosecutors often go onto major positions in government -- often times federal judges which may eventually lead to a Supreme Court appointment). This was a major act of protest by lawyers for the government, something that's probably never happened in most of our lifetimes.

If you're interested in a deeper dive, listen to this podcast from Preet Bharara and Anne Milgram, former government prosecutors talk about it yesterday:

cafe.com

Stay Tuned Special: Stone Cold Crisis (with Anne Milgram) - CAFE

In this special episode of Stay Tuned, “Stone Cold Crisis,” Preet Bharara and Anne Milgram dig into some seriously troubling news: The DOJ’s decision to overrule career prosecutors’ recommended sentence for Roger Stone, Trump’s long-time advisor and friend, a day after Trump called the initial...

It's clear that Trump will pardon Stone if he faces any jail time it's just a question of when.

Last edited: