Jan 20, 2023
Yeah that ++ is insane, never getting that.

I did just beat orange stake with go' ol yellow deck. Did 1 gold stake try and immediately feeling that -1 hand size in the early antes.

1 missing voucher removed from a full collection too.
is it the blank secondary?

dont talk to me about picking blank

its my 7th most picked voucher

only seen its followup once

3HkN1sO.png

PAIN

viral

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got Completionist after 77 hours. I don't think I'm gonna bother with +, ++ or the challenge runs. The ones I have remaining are just incredibly frustrating instead of being fun. Same with the high stakes, I finished gold on two, but I don't see myself suffering through on all of them. Still have the 2 decks size achievement to go, but then I'm probably done and will only here and there for fun.

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
Do we know if the patch will tweak the last challenges? Cause unless I'm missing something, they completely rely on rng, which isn't very fun.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
steamcommunity.com

Steam :: Balatro :: 1.0.1f - Patch notes

Hey everyone! I'm super happy to announce that the first meaty balance patch for Balatro is now live for everyone! Thank you so much to everyone in the community that gave feedback during the public experimental beta. If you have been a beta tester, this version is functionally identical to...

Balatro's gameplay changing patch is now live. I, for one, say "Noooooooooooooooo" cuz I haven't gone pass Red Stake cuz I've been working my way through the decks.

I'll miss you, vanilla Balatro.

zyvorg

Oct 25, 2017
Wow crazy patch notes, the 30% chance for Jokers to perish will cause a lot of grief for sure.

Dont see any specific mention, but really hoping we get to see more than 1 Legendary joker per 40 hours of gameplay.

Palas

Oct 29, 2017
Great changes, still I'm thankful I got Completionist before the patch because Gold Stake seems like hell now lol

The best part was how Full House seems to be viable as a strategy now with the Two Pair jokers. In 1.00 it basically only ever worked in the first antes. Unlike Straight, which more or less never works.

Nov 7, 2022

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Great changes, still I'm thankful I got Completionist before the patch because Gold Stake seems like hell now lol

The best part was how Full House seems to be viable as a strategy now with the Two Pair jokers. In 1.00 it basically only ever worked in the first antes. Unlike Straight, which more or less never works.
straights were decently buffed in the new patch, I still don't love going after them, but they scale faster and because of that are more viable, I won a few higher stake runs with them for the heck of trying them out.
also gold stake requires more thought but I personally find it far less hellish and far more fun than before as previous gold stake was hell and crap to play IMO :P

as for full house, the two pair jokers really don't change the needle much either way. they give you a little more early and middle ground for two pair builds which can also apply to full houses, but they aren't such good jokers that you really want them late game most of the time. It's still nice to see the extra jokers for both though, but I never found full houses to be all that hard to play even before this patch, but I ended up in full house of face cards from time to time in general which really got more of a buff from the face card joker getting moved to adding +5 per face card than the two pair jokers being added.
Wow crazy patch notes, the 30% chance for Jokers to perish will cause a lot of grief for sure.

Dont see any specific mention, but really hoping we get to see more than 1 Legendary joker per 40 hours of gameplay.
there was no changes to the legendary joker rate in this patch that I am aware of.

Oct 29, 2017
Only three jokers to unlock (four 7 of clubs, play all hearts on 1 round and play five gold cards)

I'll try to unlock these and see if I have some gas left to keep playing the game

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
A guaranteed joker booster pack at the beginning is great. I also like that the tags will give them for free.

Jan 20, 2023
i had to stop this lunch time run. now that i'm home from work, time to find out if i'm finally going to beat gold stake.

KdPERQL.png

euuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh idk its with the gods now

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
it was tight but managed to take the nerfed vampire to the end in gold stakes with flush build checkered deck
u1X5Mx4.png

yes I managed to have no stickers on any of my jokers at the end lol. I used a perishable or two along the way, but never felt the need to pick up any eternal or rental ones lol.

My flush was up to level 12, and I left my deck mostly alone to feed castle which was only a little over 200 at the end.

I thankfully got one of the easier bosses (the one that shuffles your jokers) though selling a joker would've been really easy as I could've sold my econ negative joker lol.

It also keeps my streak of beating random stakes I haven't beat with various decks yet going currently at 5 lol
U2e9uoa.png

as I've just been doing runs with various decks that I haven't beaten at gold stakes yet and building them up.

vgp

Oct 31, 2017
After starting the game yesterday, I'm not sure I will like the game as much as expected. I was ready to play tons of hours as I play a lot of roguelike deckbuilders. I love also cards game and also played online poker some years ago.
I can see what is bothering me :
- I think I miss the visual personalisation (even sometimes ugly like in slay the spire) you have in traditionnal deckbuilders (for example for a boss). So it makes it a bit too abstract for me
- Calculation of your score is a bit too complex. I love playing with numbers but I'm not able to anticipate enough the value of my hand
- I would like to have more mechanics that only poker hands (maybe later in the game ? It doesn't seems like this)
- I underestimate my "poker fatigue" even if it was years ago.

I will continue to play it a bit to see more but I'm a bit disapointed. The game is obviously good, but not so much for me. I will surely end by getting back to zachtronics solitaire.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
After starting the game yesterday, I'm not sure I will like the game as much as expected. I was ready to play tons of hours as I play a lot of roguelike deckbuilders. I love also cards game and also played online poker some years ago.
I can see what is bothering me :
- I think I miss the visual personalisation (even sometimes ugly like in slay the spire) you have in traditionnal deckbuilders (for example for a boss). So it makes it a bit too abstract for me
- Calculation of your score is a bit too complex. I love playing with numbers but I'm not able to anticipate enough the value of my hand
- I would like to have more mechanics that only poker hands (maybe later in the game ? It doesn't seems like this)
- I underestimate my "poker fatigue" even if it was years ago.

I will continue to play it a bit to see more but I'm a bit disapointed. The game is obviously good, but not so much for me. I will surely end by getting back to zachtronics solitaire.

I've legit spent around 100 hours in Zachtronics Solitaire. Cheers, Don vgp.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
So glad that they got rid of the -1 hand size and overpriced packs for gold stake. May have a chance at beating it now. The new joker labels however... Yesterday I ran into a perish+rental version of Fortune Teller. Why would I ever consider adding that? Paying each round for a scaling Joker that's gonna get disabled in a few rounds. Because of this I've found that paying for and opening Joker packs is kind of deflating now, with most of them having those label combos that make them very hard sells.

I'm gonna have to take the Joker tag more often now too. Making them free is kind of huge.

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017
So glad that they got rid of the -1 hand size and overpriced packs for gold stake. May have a chance at beating it now. The new joker labels however... Yesterday I ran into a perish+rental version of Fortune Teller. Why would I ever consider adding that? Paying each round for a scaling Joker that's gonna get disabled in a few rounds. Because of this I've found that paying for and opening Joker packs is kind of deflating now, with most of them having those label combos that make them very hard sells.

I'm gonna have to take the Joker tag more often now too. Making them free is kind of huge.
I don't mind the Perishable label but yeah it's applied just a little bit too liberally imo. It really does just make some jokers completely useless.

Not a huge complaint though, orange stakes feels sooo much better tuned now imo. Hopped on and got to the final blind of ante 8 twice yesterday with pretty solid builds both times. Before you either had to go hard and aggressive on econ or get really lucky with joker picks early otherwise there was just no chance at all to survive in the late game. Now it feels just like earlier stakes but harder... Which sounds like was the original intention (rather than limiting the player so hard that they have to play completely differently)

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
The perishable tag is kinda lame tbh
I don't mind it. It's purely to make thing more difficult and it forces you to have to play differently. Do you take a joker that has a limited life span, or take a bit weaker joker that won't become useless.

Do you sell a joker that has 3 turns left when you see a slightly weaker one, or keep holding on for a better one.

and above all else, do you start skipping more to reach a more important round before that joker expires. They tick down on rounds played, so if you have a powerful joker and start skipping more you can keep that Joker around for a number of bosses still.

And of course if people don't like the new stickers at all they could just play on purple instead. It's what I always did on the previous patch if I wanted more of a challenge (and didn't want to just make up my own challenges :P) because I absolutely hated how the pack scaling cost felt and just didn't want to play with that at all.

I'm also just glad that perishable doesn't make the joker worth less when it triggers, it was something I was concerned about when the mechanic was introduced, that you would need to decide about selling it early or losing some potential money. But jokers remain the same value when they parish including stuff like the egg that increase in value before they parish.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Only have the play 5 gold cards joker to unlock. 😫
Just play a bunch of face card builds on white stakes and hope midas shows up on your run.

Alternatively, I believe I ended up doing it the good old fashioned way of managing to get only a single gold card early on and copying that card with a bunch of death because death showed up for me but not more devil lol. Though I think to complete it I did have a devil in my consumables and got the 5th one by converting it. (DNA also obviously works well with this, but DNA is hard to find :( )

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
We aint gettin that patch on switch for a while huh...

I'm more excited than is reasonable to see what merch they have available.
I'm saying if they sold mystery packs of cards, that can contain steel, faux glass, polychrome, etc. etc. type cards in it with 1-2 Jokers etc. I'd buy so many packs... and if they sold really nice Tarot packs too. Whew!

Oct 29, 2017
Just play a bunch of face card builds on white stakes and hope midas shows up on your run.

Alternatively, I believe I ended up doing it the good old fashioned way of managing to get only a single gold card early on and copying that card with a bunch of death because death showed up for me but not more devil lol. Though I think to complete it I did have a devil in my consumables and got the 5th one by converting it. (DNA also obviously works well with this, but DNA is hard to find :( )
Yeah I was just doing the "old fashioned way" while praying for Midas which appeared one time but too late... Oh well I'll get it eventually!

Jan 20, 2023
finally, gold stake and sub 20 card achievements

only 3 left

the sub 20 card achievement was very silly. got an amazing seed on abandoned deck with 3x early immolates, and then i converted all of my hand to jokers and

well here's how things looked near the end

qidwbs4.png

i wanted to try and get to a deck of ONLY face cards on abandoned deck, and i didnt take further screens but by the end I was damn close, but i fucked up by discarding too many and actually running out of cards. never had that happen before.

also heh i made the juvenile shape with my deck

Palas

Oct 29, 2017
I finally broke the letter e barrier! At this point I in't even know what I was doing anymore. The game was kind of unraveling by itself in front of me. It's like Solitaire's winning animation, but you're playing it.

bafkreicnjd2kfowsqzkkcqheuyqlez4b2kw4azhpjeikatbmkjsgaqjmvm@jpeg

For all the talk about Balatro being addicting, we really need to talk about the joy of child's play in it. Painting over cards, making combinations just to see what they do, cheating rules just because you can, telling a little story to yourself out of nothing. This is the true strength of the game to me: it dances on the border between perfectly magical and the strictly mathematical; between careless serendipity and rigorous arbitrariness. Yes, you see numbers go up -- but the stakes are long gone. The fascination to it is no more a matter of addiction and no less a matter of childish mesmerization than are hearing about how impossibly old the Universe will be when it dies, how immensely vast is the biggest black hole we know of, or how many ants there are on Earth.

Menome

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, the patch went live yesterday? I could have played all of today? I didn't even notice a download on Steam! 😭

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I finally broke the letter e barrier! At this point I in't even know what I was doing anymore. The game was kind of unraveling by itself in front of me. It's like Solitaire's winning animation, but you're playing it.

bafkreicnjd2kfowsqzkkcqheuyqlez4b2kw4azhpjeikatbmkjsgaqjmvm@jpeg

For all the talk about Balatro being addicting, we really need to talk about the joy of child's play in it. Painting over cards, making combinations just to see what they do, cheating rules just because you can, telling a little story to yourself out of nothing. This is the true strength of the game to me: it dances on the border between perfectly magical and the strictly mathematical; between careless serendipity and rigorous arbitrariness. Yes, you see numbers go up -- but the stakes are long gone. The fascination to it is no more a matter of addiction and no less a matter of childish mesmerization than are hearing about how impossibly old the Universe will be when it dies, how immensely vast is the biggest black hole we know of, or how many ants there are on Earth.
I like this post. :)

I do think a big part of why I continue to play it (yet still pretty much suck at it) is the randomness about it when it works in your favor... where I'll keep going even if I have absolutely zero synergy happening, have barely gotten anything useful in my boosters, am sitting with just some relatively weak jokers, etc., and yet sometimes I'll draw hands or tags that take advantage of my crap setup and still win or get close to it.

I like the predictability/outcome-based system of StS too, but this still makes me feel like I'm taking big risks/gambling by not knowing exactly how everything will play out. I agree with GMTK that showing all of this would greatly reduce/drain the excitement element out of it.

But... that's just a novice's perspective.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Wow the patch made gold stakes so much easier.
I'd been wasting hours trying to get it "legit" before the patch but RNG was never on my side.

I finally knocked it out this afternoon, on checkered deck with all flushes at that. Half of my jokers were money generating ones too so renting was a non-issue.
After all those failed attempts this felt too easy now.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
image.png

Fuck my life, 2 times in a row it refused to give me the straight i needed to win.... i still had 3 of the card needed each (jack, 7 and 6) and they never showed up...

RNG truly doesn't love me

ojbd

Jul 18, 2018
Finally got my 5th overall win and first on the black deck, decided to be a complete hard-ass and also make it my no straights or flushes run (funnily enough self-limiting actually helps narrow down the focus on what kind of build you are searching for exactly) so I unlocked those two jokers. I got a hilarious recursion loop of all cards are face cards, all face cards are retriggered, all face cards give +5 mult + card shark which I had an easy time triggering because I only played pairs, two pairs and full houses.

Now to find a 2-3 decks I like and grind stakes on them to unlock the rest of the decks.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Just had one of my best runs.

Perkeo, Fortune Teller, Constellation, Blueprint, Brainstorm.
Did this before each round to copy x3, then:

Constellation, Perkeo, Fortune Teller, Blueprint, Brainstorm.
For the game.

Constellation got up to like 15x. All cards had a bonus from Wheel.

Perkeo copied a bunch of Temperance to get me up to like 250. Full house got up to 50+, then into flush five. Copied a bunch of the Specral cards and got both lucky, red seal, and polychrome on an ace. Copied a bunch of deaths with Perkeo and turned most of my deck into that ace.

I passed a couple of negative giving Spectrals early which I should have taken, got a crap negative (+15 mult at 0 discards) early and used it to get out of the all cards debuffed boss, then the only other I found was +1 discard (good utility, but not going to carry).

Only got to 13 in the end. I got a bit greedy copying my Ace instead of copying my Eris. Which I should have done as I had the voucher that gives xmult for each planet card.

Still, was so much fun!

Ketch

Oct 25, 2017
Screenshot_2024-05-04_150218.png

Best run ever. This is on green stakes nebula deck. I had rocket ship, cowboy boot, twin pants, tiny joker, baseball player, vampire and blueprint.

Originally I had blueprint on the baseball player, but I switched it to vampire once he was up to x3+ I couldn't tell which way was getting me more points.

Small blind I lost too was 600mil. I can't imagine being able to top that.

ozumas

Born to be Wise and Corrupted by Vengeance
Dec 15, 2020
I am loving the new patch and a guaranteed Joker booster pack in the first blind is awesome.

Jan 20, 2023
selling a card to deactivate boss blinds, got it in the previous ante in case i've got the very big blind or some other shit
yeah i know i was just asking what was your fifth card before you sold

cos that seems like a very sparse build to get all the way to ante 8 on gold stake with straights. just wondering what the fifth was that made it possible.

side note: just got mods running on my steam deck

hell yea, more than anything, using the one that adds key bindings, and then binding those to the back paddles, i can now smoothly and flawlessly swap between card ordering with those buttons without using any controller touch screen emulation jiggery pokery

Jan 20, 2023
yeah i'm telling you, the fifth card was the joker that deactivates the blind when you sell it, getting that boss blind in addtion to it was a coincidence, lol

i don't remember which card i had beforehand, but it wasn't a big one regardless

also my straight hand was like very high level too
ohhhhhhh right right lmao im with you. yeah, coincidence indeed

thats still pretty impressive not having a +chip card, or any scaling +mult cards at all. The only way you could scale really was planet cards which is tough when youre hunting for straights as well, v tough way to do gold imo (and you almost hit it as well which is mad)