Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I just feel platformers should allow you to hurt enemies by jumping on them, instead having to switch characters completely kills the feel/speed of combat in the game and the lack of enemies throughout level outside of pure set piece fights makes the world's feel empty.
You can still jump on them (I found this out when trying to use tornado wolf on enemies), though that doesn't fix the issue of having to change to a character who can jump in the first place, assuming you have one as I assume later stages may not let you have a jumping character.

If anything, instead of 80+ costumes that do mainly one thing, they should've had like half the costumes that do more. Make the wolf also be able to do the ground pound & the dragon also able to do a flutter jump with its wings. It feels like they took Mario Odyssey's concept but decided to apply Lego game logic to it in that so many different abilities are spread across so many damn characters, thus requiring a ton of switching just to do basic things. But least with Lego games, it's much quicker to switch & you can hold more characters at once.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
You can still jump on them (I found this out when trying to use tornado wolf on enemies), though that doesn't fix the issue of having to change to a character who can jump in the first place, assuming you have one as I assume later stages may not let you have a jumping character.

If anything, instead of 80+ costumes that do mainly one thing, they should've had like half the costumes that do more. Make the wolf also be able to do the ground pound & the dragon also able to do a flutter jump with its wings. It feels like they took Mario Odyssey's concept but decided to apply Lego game logic to it in that so many different abilities are spread across so many damn characters, thus requiring a ton of switching just to do basic things. But least with Lego games, it's much quicker to switch & you can hold more characters at once.
Also, this is unrelated to gameplay, but I'd rather have characters turn INTO the creatures with maybe personalized design elements.

They look really fucking stupid in those costumes.

Oct 31, 2017
Think I did all but Chapter Six Act One, game is just ok. Not 60 bucks worth it IMHO, but the game isn't that bad. I just feel platformers should allow you to hurt enemies by jumping on them, instead having to switch characters completely kills the feel/speed of combat in the game and the lack of enemies throughout level outside of pure set piece fights makes the world's feel empty. Having each costume have one mere abilities is also a bit of a letdown, would have been cool to do a couple more things in each costume. I feel in comparison to Banjo series that has the transformations, Banjo's feels sort of exciting upon transformation and set jiggies that go along with needing the transformation, this feels sort of basic. I agree with the sentiment that this feels very bare bones as far as gameplay mechanics go.
You can kill them by jumping on them just saying

Meta

"This guy are sick"
Oct 29, 2017
tenor.gif

Super underrated post.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Really? Oh, guess that's only for certain costumes then. Because I did it with the Clock Gear costume and it worked
To be fair, I didn't really explore this too much outside of 1 instance but I chalked it up due to that but I know Zonic mentioned above that it can be done with the werewolf wind costume so maybe some costumes give you it, others don't!

neoJABES

Dec 23, 2017
Just went and watched some Billy Hatcher vids on YouTube to remind myself what that game was like. Game looks all around better then Bilan in everyway and it's from almost 20 years ago... Let's let that sink in.

Think I may dig out the Gamecube and play some Billy to get the Naka fix I was hoping to get from Bilan.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
People absolutely love dogpiling and this is the new target.

I honestly think Internet has chosen this game to bash it. I was seeing some youtubers playing the demo the other day, and the level of nitpicking on display was straight up embarrasing.

The game is not that bad. Yeesh.

No.

The game is actually that bad. It controls terribly, looks awful and the camera is so bad that it's actually making some people nauseous.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This game is a disaster. Early contender for worst game of the year. Like goddamn there's nothing good about this.

Gacha Santa Alter

"This guy are sick"
Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
Tried it yesterday.

The opening cutscene is nice, and that's the only nice thing I can say about it. Reviewers are going to have a field day with this one I think.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I just saw this pic from the Megadrive Mini launch and it made me think of:
EEv_X-HU0AMh9Jf

Naka: "Hey, Ohshima, I got an idea for a game. Wanna help?"
Ohshima: "Sure. What about Yasuhara?"
Naka: "Shhh. Don't tell him!"
Yasuhara: "What you guys talkin' about?"

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly... I liked the super weirdness of the post game dance show lol
I'm getting the impression that the concept for this game is quite influenced by Mario Odyssey. "People liked Mario's transformations? We double down on that! Peope liked Jump Up Superstar? We'll have a song and dance after every boss!"

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope this is an older demo and they've got time to address feedback before it releases in March. There are so many small things that would make a huge impact, like instantaneous costume switching.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
so tons of people in this thread have posted legitimate and common criticism which you seem to be ignoring, so let's flip it and have you actually defend the game rather than just say it's not that bad?

because it's really not an uncommon sentiment anywhere on the internet that the game is underbaked and has a ton of questionable design decisions, but rather than claim we're piling on after experiencing it ourselves why not address that instead

Oct 27, 2017
Downloaded, played and deleted. It didn't feel as much bad as it was just terribly boring and not very fun or exciting to play. Character design was also kinda ehhh.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Honestly I feel like tightening up the character movement (much faster/instant speed ramp when you begin to move, less maintained momentum as you turn/stop moving), speeding up the character by a bit (somewhere between 30% and 50% based on watching YouTube videos at double speed) and allowing instant costume switches while running would do wonders for the feel of this game. There are bigger issues that would be a lot harder to address (mediocre special stages and very mixed art quality, to name a couple) but just getting the player feeling snappier would be nice, I think.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
The person who said the gameplay is like putting a square block into a square hole is spot on

that's all the game is

even if a lot of issues were fixed all the game is, is "use this power up to reach this"

idk how they thought that would be fun

I mean, maybe it would be, in a super simplistic way, if the animations and movement were remotely satisfying but they aren't

Unfortunately the game has charmed me in a very weird way. I MAY get it when it's $20

In April

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019
Am I missing something or is the PC demo locked to 720p?

If you have a high DPI density set in Windows, you must edit the executable properties and set high DPI scaling to the Application. Then the other videos modes will unlock. I've tried it at 1440p.

It has no unlocked framerate though. Although I have a 120 hz monitor, it's only 60fps.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know if it's been said but turn off automatic camera immediately. Game almost unplayable for me until I saw you could turn it off

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly I feel like tightening up the character movement (much faster/instant speed ramp when you begin to move, less maintained momentum as you turn/stop moving), speeding up the character by a bit (somewhere between 30% and 50% based on watching YouTube videos at double speed) and allowing instant costume switches while running would do wonders for the feel of this game. There are bigger issues that would be a lot harder to address (mediocre special stages and very mixed art quality, to name a couple) but just getting the player feeling snappier would be nice, I think.
Yep. I feel like swapping costumes mid air could be cool, too, although that'd completely break level design.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They'd need to rework the level design for this but I really wish they would. Another comfort feature would be edge grabbing and climbing but I feel like that'd be an even bigger ask.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
After having played the Demo i think this Game will land on a very solid and respectable 56 on Metacritic

DaveB

Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Gave the demo a whirl on Switch and I think it's gonna be a pass for me. Echoing others' criticisms about character movement speed and the costume switching.

It's also rough graphically on the Switch between a frequently sub-30 fps frame rate and the lack of AA that makes everything have jagged or shimmering edges. I only played it in portable mode, so I don't know if it exhibits the same flaws docked.

I'm also not a fan of losing a costume if you get hit. They should just institute some sort of standard HP system - be it hearts or whatever - and leave the wardrobe alone. It's aggravating to lose a costume you find out you need later, meaning you have to backtrack to reclaim it before you can proceed.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I played it, honestly I didn't think it was as terrible as people are making it out but it's certainly not in the class with top of the line platformers out there, wasn't particularly challenging at all... I feel like this would be a great game for kid maybe? My kids enjoyed watching me play and had no problems picking it up, so maybe it's meant for that audience instead of the typical gamer gamers. I'm not going to say every game that isn't to my exact tastes is bad, I feel like this would be maybe a good pick for a young audience.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
I played it, honestly I didn't think it was as terrible as people are making it out but it's certainly not in the class with top of the line platformers out there, wasn't particularly challenging at all... I feel like this would be a great game for kid maybe? My kids enjoyed watching me play and had no problems picking it up, so maybe it's meant for that audience instead of the typical gamer gamers. I'm not going to say every game that isn't to my exact tastes is bad, I feel like this would be maybe a good pick for a young audience.
That is always a bad argument.
There are tons of Games, Movies, Books out there that are aimed at children that are, you know good actually.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
That is always a bad argument.
There are tons of Games, Movies, Books out there that are aimed at children that are, you know good actually.

Meh.

Just the same, there are tons of games, movies and books out there that are aimed at children that are... fucking terrible IMO.

Doesn't change the fact that kids might like it.

ShaggyLobo

Jan 25, 2021
Meh.

Just the same, there are tons of games, movies and books out there that are aimed at children that are... fucking terrible IMO.

Doesn't change the fact that kids might like it.

Anyone, kids included, "might like" anything. Including the many decent to very good family friendly games out there that will be competing with this. Kinda puts us on a dead end to discuss the game's merits on those terms.