• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Glad to see all the people making a big deal out of PS5's BC expected "issues" were right and justified. Truly a small amount of games will be playable day one.

/s

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
  • Before purchasing add-ons to play with your PS4 games on PS5 consoles, please try to boot and play your PS4 games on your PS5 console to see if you are happy with the play experience.
While I'm happy that most games are playable, this line is a bit scary.

I read that as in: "we haven't fully tested all 4.000+ PS4 games yet."

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
In contrast to Xbox 'it just works' as well as all the other enhancements we get on next gen on Series X, this is quite lackluster. Also the fact they need to explain so much and say you should try stuff before buying DLC to make sure the experience is adequate enough to your liking doesn't inspire confidence at all.

xbox will be similar. Kinect games won't/can't work for example and there may be others. Not all games will get boosts either. Sony are just being their usual dry self about how they go about informing people. My bet is still that bc will be basically the same. Dynamic res games will more regularly hit higher res, unlocked framerate games will run faster. Capped framerate/re won't do anything because they're capped.

Total Cereal

Oct 28, 2017
It's good that the list of compatible games is so high, but after seeing how BC games run on Series X, it's hard not to be disappointed. Some games may run better is a far cry from all games will run better.

Oct 25, 2017
Prob been confirmed.. but all games work on launch day?
Why wouldn't they? Cerny said PS4 compatibility was built into the core design of the system. By default everything should work with some outliers, as listed in the OP here. The whole "100 games at launch with more to come later" interpretation of Cerny's words was absolutely ludicrous from the start.

mangrilla

Aug 28, 2020
Washington, DC
PS4 save data transfer is a bit odd

What is going on with Cloud saves? I suppose Ill just use a USB drive and be done with it but I have a lot of saves on the cloud as well

So the mention about game saves is under the heading "Transfer digital games from a PS4 console to a PS5 console." Cloud saves won't be used to transfer digital games, so it's not discussed there. There's no reason to believe that cloud saves won't transfer.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
kxadufcnikvwew7iom8m.gif

Guys... Life of black Tiger survived the purge.

Oct 25, 2017
I fully expected this; wasn't really any reason to doubt that they'd have most games working at launch. It's such a similar architecture, after all. My main concern right now is in regards to games getting upgrades for the console that are paid and/or don't carry saves over.

Man, I hope Naughty Dog patches in an unlocked framerate mode to TLoU:P2 so that we can use boost mode to play it at 60fps.
Yup, this is the outstanding issue for me as well. I want to see some free patches even if it's ONLY to unlock framerates on PS4 first party exclusives. Boosted resolution would be nice, too, but dear god give us 60fps please.

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
lol what? what are the huge differences?

For a start boost mode isn't a thing on xbox. it just does it without the need to be implemented. Auto HDR is also a thing for every backwards compatible game with no input. so to me that's a pretty huge difference - it simply means bc games will be better on xbox in general if boost mood isn't implemented and the game has uncapped frame rates or resolution etc. unless i'm reading something wrong here about boost mode.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I am very curious to know why Shadow Complex isn't compatible. The game runs on Unreal Engine. Did the devs use some weird programming that didn't adhere to Sony's guidelines for PS4 coding?

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
A game that's locked to 1080p 30fps will never go above that no matter how much hardware you throw at it. It's select games, not "select few" btw.

Yeah I know that, that's just common sense, but some games like the Just Cause games, The Last Guardian and many games with PS4 Pro performance modes really failed to maintain their targets and made the games feel unplayable to me. So for The Last Guardian in particular Im hoping I'll be able to enable boost, same with God of War 4's performance mode

Also I just really like the Xbox's forced Vsync, 16x Anisotropic Filtering and AA as well, really cleans up the image on a 4K panel so I hope Sony will do that as well

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Cant play Joes Diner on PS5? Preorder CANCELED.

I hope we get more details on boost mode soon, maybe they can get around framerate caps. Bloodborne 👀

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Can you just log into your account and download the games you own from the store?, or do you have to do a digital transfer?

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
I'm assuming cloud saves can be downloaded to the PS5 and we won't need to use this WiFi transfer tool?

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
In contrast to Xbox 'it just works' as well as all the other enhancements we get on next gen on Series X, this is quite lackluster. Also the fact they need to explain so much and say you should try stuff before buying DLC to make sure the experience is adequate enough to your liking doesn't inspire confidence at all.
Series X doesn't have 100% compatibility, either.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Glad this was at long last cleared up in 100% non ambiguous terms.

This was all they had to do from the beginning, but they got there in the end.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I'm wondering if this is just the beginning list. Even thought they said "99% is playable", 10 games is a LOT less than 1% of the PS4's library.

I find it hard to believe they've tested every game so far, it's probably just from games they've tested.

That said, even though I have no immediate plans on purchasing a PS5, if the list is complete, I am happy none are ones I care about playing.

Oct 25, 2017
  • Before purchasing add-ons to play with your PS4 games on PS5 consoles, please try to boot and play your PS4 games on your PS5 console to see if you are happy with the play experience.
While I'm happy that most games are playable, this line is a bit scary.
I'd rather that be the case instead of waiting for Sony to get around to every little game.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Literally an infinitesimal list made up of a handful of games that I would never attempt to play anyways. Good shit, Sony!

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still annoyed the new camera doesn't work for PSVR, that really should have been abstracted at the system level. Yeah, I know, it's a console, but games shouldn't be caring about the exact model of camera, they should at least be able to handle a downscaled video stream provided by the kernel.

I'm not at all optimistic about current PSVR titles running on PSVR 2 without major patches. I'd be more annoyed, but I think we'd want major patches anyway.

That said, I love that one of the 11 games that doesn't work is actually called "Just deal with it!".
'Just deal with it!' not being playable on PS5 is just poetic.
I was too slow again, lol