Which of these describes you?

• I never back out from online matches, no matter what

Votes: 142 34.1%
  • I’ll back out from matches if conditions are unfavorable (Map/Connection/Items, etc.)

Votes: 142 34.1%
  • I’ll tough out poor conditions and finish the match

Votes: 103 24.8%
  • I’ll back out on a whim

Votes: 51 12.3%
  • I’ll rage quit if things don’t go my way

Votes: 31 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 38 9.1%

• Total voters

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
What say you? I guess I fall under the "unfavorable conditions" category, and this is mostly regarding a game like Super Smash Bros. Ultimate where you can have "preferred rules" but still get unfavorable matchups like gimmick stages or items on. Yeah, I'll back out from that, sorry. I'm just not interested in playing those kind of games. Nintendo is more at fault here if you ask me, because the "preferred rules" setting isn't a guarantee. I'd easily take a longer wait time over a short time to wind up in a 4-player Smash with items on.

Shooters are another game where I think I fall under the "back out on a whim" category purely because you're liable to join a losing game in progress, or a lobby full of vulgarity. If it's a game like DragonBall FighterZ, I'll more than likely never back out, because I just enjoy the game too much even when I'm losing. Laggy matches though? BTFO, sorry not sorry.

Oct 29, 2017
I'll back out of any online game if I'm not having fun. My enjoyment is far more important than anything else when it comes to video games.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
If I'm not having fun I'll back out.

My time is more valuable to me than sticking with a match I'm not enjoying.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
My set of rules when coming across a bad/laggy match.

1. If I win, I always stay no matter what. I'll give the guy a chance no matter on the condition, even if it's the laggiest match possible. After the rematch I'm out regardless of outcome.
2. If I lose, I'll leave if the conditions are bad. (lag, weird lobby etc).

Otherwise I stick around until I get a lot of good games in.

Oct 26, 2017
In COD at least, the same people that back out of any game that's not going their way are also the ones that freak out when they join a match in progress, but I don't think they quite get the connection.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
If you join my cross-Atlantic Street Figther lobby, I'll kick your ass so fast, you think you didn't connect. Get the fuck out with this shit.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I mostly only play fighting games online. I can put up with un-ideal situations for two minutes so I never back out.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't back out of ranked Rocket League matches, but what really gets to me are the players that become incredibly toxic early on because we're a goal or 2 down with plenty of time to catch up.

At that point I debate leaving but stick it out.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
I'll back out of any online game if I'm not having fun. My enjoyment is far more important than anything else when it comes to video games.

This is the polar opposite of my thoughts. If I start a game, it's unfair to my team mates to quit, even if I'm doing badly. To put your enjoyment\time at the expense of the other team mates who you leave to pick up the slack is slightly selfish in my personal opinion.

I detest quitters, if you quit on me in halo 5, I'll leave feedback with the hope that Microsoft ban them at some point.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the polar opposite of my thoughts. If I start a game, it's unfair to my team mates to quit, even if I'm doing badly. To put your enjoyment\time at the expense of the other team mates who you leave to pick up the slack is slightly selfish in my personal opinion.

I detest quitters, if you quit on me in halo 5, I'll leave feedback with the hope that Microsoft ban them at some point.
It's a game. I don't like quitters either but I understand why people gotta quit once in awhile. Don't like people who quit when things aren't going there way though. That's BS.

Got Danny

Nov 8, 2017
Only thing I'll never back out of is fighting games, especially Tekken.

Anything else it depends on the situation

Oct 29, 2017

You think people who quit an online game should be banned from said game? You DETEST them? That's insane.

This is an example of someone who makes online gaming far too seriously. Why should I care about my teammates over my own enjoyment? I'm always a team player and I love playing the objective, but once it gets frustrating, I am perfectly fine with leaving. It's not selfish to prioritize your mental health/priorities in life because...my teammates might feel bad? Absolutle nonsense.

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I never back out of games even when there's clearly unfavorable conditions like your whole team backing out of a halo match. It's pretty fun holding your own and giving them a hard time winning. I even managed to pull out a win in some of these scenarios. Overall, I don't like when it's done to me so I don't do it.

Last edited:

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
If I know I can't win and I'm not into it, I'll surrender or whatever and give the win. I do this will all kinds of things like chess and other board games. Know when to admit defeat.

OP
OP
KartuneDX

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
You think people who quit an online game should be banned from said game? You DETEST them? That's insane.

This is an example of someone who makes online gaming far too seriously. Why should I care about my teammates over my own enjoyment? I'm always a team player and I love playing the objective, but once it gets frustrating, I am perfectly fine with leaving. It's not selfish to prioritize your mental health/priorities in life because...my teammates might feel bad? Absolutle nonsense.

This question in general tends to drive up a sense of elitism in that regard. "If you can't finish a game don't bother playing" is a lame attitude. Things come up.

If you join my cross-Atlantic Street Figther lobby, I'll kick your ass so fast, you think you didn't connect. Get the fuck out with this shit.

This seems so needlessly hostile :/

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
I'll back out of any sports games when there is lag (thankfully, most games finally have connection bars prior to joining).

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Never back out, always finish the match. I love still trying to win when joining a losing match, its one of the best feelings when you do.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I usually don't back out but if something urgent calls I'll leave. If the connection is absolutely unplayable (and I have generous standards) then I will also leave(i.e dying in halo and not respawning cause the lag is so bad)

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If it's laggy, I don't even try. I just run at my opponent and hope they kill me.

If match is good, I'll play as long as they will.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
I don't back out, I want others to respect my time so always try to respect theirs...

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I generally stick them out when I actually do play multiplayer. I don't want to make it suck for anyone else who might be playing, either on my team or the other.

Somehow I got a report like years ago on 360 that I "quit early." I really don't know why someone would report that, unless it was that one time I tried playing Castle Crashers online and it was some young kids who all they wanted to do was play the first "Barbarian" boss over and over so I just quit.

Smoshow

Oct 25, 2017
My set of rules when coming across a bad/laggy match.

1. If I win, I always stay no matter what. I'll give the guy a chance no matter on the condition, even if it's the laggiest match possible. After the rematch I'm out regardless of outcome.
2. If I lose, I'll leave if the conditions are bad. (lag, weird lobby etc).

Otherwise I stick around until I get a lot of good games in.

This is how I roll too!

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll back out of 6 randoms vs 6-party matches.
Back out of already started matches if team heavily behind.
Back out of toxic players.
If match quality terrible I'm out.

If a game tries keep you in match with threat of ban, like Overwatch, I'll just AFK.

Gaming is for my fun, not propping up others fun at my expense.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
I will always try to complete my matches no matter what.

In exceedingly rare circumstances I will quit if the win conditions become literally impossible. I had this happen to me in a CTF Halo 3 game where we were being spawn camped and the other team wasn't scoring. I was not waiting for that match to end!

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
Depends on where I'm at.
When I lived in California, matches came fast so I could be much more picky when playing online. Back then I'd never accept a match below 4 bars. Now that I'm back on an island in the middle of nowhere I'll take any match I can get because when you have hourlong matchmaking or longer you can't be picky :(
Never rage quit, though. Even when I was in cali, if the match got bad I'd stick it out and just leave after.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
This. I try not to back out and leave my team hanging but I'm selfish and if I have to leave or feel like I don't want to play anymore and there's still a long time to go I'll drop out. If it's far along I probably stick it out.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I think I have played 20k matches in World of Tanks and I have never quit unless it's an irl matter. We have assholes who suicide at the start of a match because they think they're going to lose. Don't play a random match then. Games aren't serious things yes, but if you play any sort of team multiplayer you are affecting other people's enjoyment and time. The exception being if anybody is harassing you then it's fine to bail.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
If the whole team drops out and I'm by myself, I'll still give it a go for a bit if I can have fun and get a few kills but if they are just shit hot destroyers who kill me the second I'm spotted I'm out.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I think almost never. Even if I got team killed in Siege or the other team had cheaters.

The only reason I can think of where I backed out in the past few years would be when we got into a match and one of our friends dropped due to connection or a crash. We'll all quit and get 'em if it's a game they can't rejoin in.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
If I'm not having fun I'll back out.

My time is more valuable to me than sticking with a match I'm not enjoying.
Yup. I may be a bit more reluctant in competitive matches and Halo where they'll hit me with a five minute ban just for thinking of the "leave game" button but generally speaking, I'm playing to have fun. If I'm not having fun, no matter the reason, I'm out.

yerrr

Banned
Nov 19, 2019
I've quit matches because of lag, getting spawn camped, morons on the mic, didn't get my main...ect. ect.

Basically I don't have time for bullshyt.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I'll back out if the person I'm playing with has a horrible connection and it's like I'm watching a slide show, but that's it. Under no other circumstances do I ever back out or quit mid-match, because my ego isn't that fragile. :P

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Casual game? I'll back out for whatever.

Comp game? I'll stay to the end unless an IRL issue means I need to leave.

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
I don't back out of ranked Rocket League matches, but what really gets to me are the players that become incredibly toxic early on because we're a goal or 2 down with plenty of time to catch up.

At that point I debate leaving but stick it out.

"What a save!"

It was always funny when I'd be the last one on my team to stay in a losing RL match and the enemy team just goes all toxic on me for not leaving. Sorry brehs I've had tiny comebacks on occasion so I'm not giving up

But if they were toxic before hand I'll stay just to waste each other's times sry 😭

I don't leave any online matches

EduBRK

Oct 30, 2017
Brazil
I have a 5 months old baby boy. Sometimes he randomly cries and I'll stop everything I am doing to give him attention.

What I'm frequently doing is simply dropping the controller and letting my adversary win. This is happening a lot, it stings when I'm about to 2-0 someone in Street or Tekken and then duty calls.

It's life, he is FAR more important than a win. I'll just not quit because it was my "fault" I left the game, so I just let then go ham on me and I hope no one is hurt by it.

Before it used to happen less frequently, but things happen. Someone is at the door, I need to open. I never get mad at anyone dropping on me. That's life.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I'll only quit if the connection is literally unplayable. I don't shut off my console or anything though.

IMO if you rage quit there is no punishment too harsh for your salt.