• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1378

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017

- First episode on the service is the longest single time running one, Earthbound
- Episodes will still come to YouTube, but this allows people to support him on Prime where he makes more money
- While plenty of episodes are now up, there are remastered episodes on the way

Important to note that this is seemingly region locked. They are only available for American and UK consumers. Meaning everyone else in the world has to wait to see the new episodes, even if you pay from Prime. Seems like VPNs will not work, as well.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1378

Oct 25, 2017
I'll always be fond of James Rolfe and the Nerd.

How the remastered episodes are going to work!?
I imagine they'll use the highest quality recordings they can find of them and touch up the special effects to be less... Shitty. I hope they don't though, because those effects are endearing because they're shitty.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Important to note that this is seemingly region locked. They are only available for American and UK consumers. Meaning everyone else in the world has to wait to see the new episodes, even if you pay from Prime. Seems like VPNs will not work, as well.

Fucking hell, why do they do this?...
You know what's BULLSHIT? Region locked content for paid online services.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I get it, since Youtube probably pays next to nothing, but I didn't even know Amazon was looking for original content like this.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
He doesn't come out and say it but it almost sounds like he got some sort of deal with Amazon? If that's the case congrats.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'll always be fond of James Rolfe and the Nerd.

How the remastered episodes are going to work!?

I imagine they'll use the highest quality recordings they can find of them and touch up the special effects to be less... Shitty. I hope they don't though, because those effects are endearing because they're shitty.

I know some episodes got additional content on the dvd/blu ray release like the virtual boy episode getting gameplay footage of jack bros since he got a copy after recording it. I know some of these are on already on youtube, but that idea could extend to several of his older reviews in theory.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's really going to rip into Earthbound? Why would you want to make everyone hate you with your debut video?

ranmafan

Oct 27, 2017
I finally ended up getting prime since it's so cheap in Japan and I would've been so happy to watch this as I love AVGN, but if it's really region locked that's just ridiculous. Making those of us wait in other countries even if we have amazon prime, not fair, not fair at all. I hope the wait isn't long but that's something they need to fix for those of us in other countries outside the us and uk

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
User Banned (2 Days): Provocative drive-by post, thread derailment, history of similar behaviour.
Do people still actively want the toxic gaming personality schtick? Who is the target market other than Gators?

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
When I first entered I was like "Hey, nice. Finally I'll have something to watch on Prime Video". Then I realized this is only for US and UK and my disappointment became immeasurable. What a shame, really.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
AVGN is good people. His 'angry' character was done with a clear sense of 'this is a joke' that was clearly lost on on 'angry' gamers since who genuinely seem upset about really stupid inconsequential shit.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1378

Oct 25, 2017
Do people still actively want the toxic gaming personality schtick? Who is the target market other than Gators?
...Gamergate supporters are not the only people allowed to enjoy someone having fun playing a character shitting on awful games. And even then, this episode isn't even about a bad game. He likes the game.

I think you've missed the point if you think AVGN is a "toxic gaming personality".

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
...Gamergate supporters are not the only people allowed to enjoy someone having fun playing a character shitting on awful games. And even then, this episode isn't even about a bad game. He likes the game.

I think you've missed the point if you think AVGN is a "toxic gaming personality".

Angry is literally his entire branding, how is that not toxic? There's a way to laugh at shitty games without blowing your top about it, "satire" or not.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
He's really going to rip into Earthbound? Why would you want to make everyone hate you with your debut video?
It's more of a critique of some design choices common to the era or due to the limitations of the hardware, but in the nerd format. I would say 80% is positive or neutral comments about how strange the game is. Even get some into some of the theories associated with the game.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1378

Oct 25, 2017
Angry is literally his entire branding, how is that not toxic? There's a way to laugh at shitty games without blowing your top about it, "satire" or not.
Cinemassacre is his branding. AVGN is his most popular character he plays. Films are his true passion, he just likes games a lot.

How is it toxic for someone to play a character that screams "fuck this shitty game" about old games? The videos are apolitical, he doesn't encourage any kind of harassment whatsoever, etc.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It's more of a critique of some design choices common to the era or due to the limitations of the hardware, but in the nerd format. I would say 80% is positive or neutral comments about how strange the game is. Even get some into some of the theories associated with the game.

Yup. To be fair Earthbound had some really questionable design choices. The extremely punishing item limit and management is one of them.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017

Considering that his latest AVGN episodes have 1.4-1.6 million views on Youtube quite a few people still enjoy his content.
And good job shitting on his fans as being Gamer Gate supporters. Just because you don't enjoy his content or style doesn't mean that his fans are Gamer Gate supporters. Why even post in this thread?

OP
OP

Deleted member 1378

Oct 25, 2017
Considering that his latest AVGN episodes have 1.4-1.6 million views on Youtube quite a few people still enjoy his content.
And good job shitting on his fans as being Gamer Gate supporters. Just because you don't enjoy his content or style doesn't mean that his fans are Gamer Gate supporters. Why even post in this thread?
Gotta make sure we know he's superior to us by not enjoying the "toxic" character Rolfe plays.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
I predict people will rip his new episodes from Prime and upload them to their own Youtube channels.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Angry is literally his entire branding, how is that not toxic?

Anger is a natural human emotion. It's something we all experience. He's playing up the "anger" angle at video games.

Not personalities, not journalists, not specific developers (companies in the abstract, but not people), but literally just the games.

If you think that's somehow related to GG, that's on you.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Weird, but glad to see he's still doing well. Earthbound is an interesting choice, hopefully the harshest comment he has for it is some long and excessively nasty explanation of what the scratch and sniff sticker smelled like

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'd totally want to support this but uh...

Paying for Amazon Prime Video also supports NRA-TV and InfoWars, so uh, no thanks.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy for James. I've been wanting to rewatch his older videos since they're straight up nostalgia for me now

mantis

Oct 25, 2017

I am able to watch it on the UK site with my Austrian/German (Prime) account. May have to do with the new EU law about streaming services.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
...because he was one of the progenitors of the act which has morphed into toxic gamer entitlement and a crushing cynicsm in the hobby by people who can't tell that it's an act?
469.gif