• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
that seems about right. we hit diminishing returns a long time ago. most people only use their phones for things that current mid-range phones can perfectly handle

very happy with my pocophone and it'll last me till whatever the next midrange-priced flagship killer will be in 2/3 years.

Last edited:

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
Had the same smartphone since early 2015 right here. Right now, I'd only buy a new phone if it was a high spec phone that had a changeable battery.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
Been rocking a 6 plus for years now. I do want to upgrade at some point but it's not a priority right now.

YuriLowell

Oct 26, 2017
My iPhone 7 is getting close to three years old and it has shit WiFi, drops calls, and drops Bluetooth constantly. I'm hoping the iPhone 8 drops in price when the next one gets announced in September.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any plans that don't include a phone that are lower? Like what if you want to just buy a phone outright and get it on a plan?
No can do. IIRC you can't get a contract with any of the big three without contracting a phone at the same time.
And even if you could, you wouldn't get the two-year rebate that makes a new phone "free": you'd only be paying the inflated price for two years.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
iPhone 8 here - I'll admit that I'm getting an upgrade itch, and sort of wishing I had jumped on the X instead of the 8, but here I am. I may upgrade this year if they significantly upgrade the camera, but I'm going to wait to see the price.

The one advantage to upgrading now is that I'll get a lot more for my 8 than I will next year at this time. It's still cheaper than picking up a brand new Apple Upgrade monthly payment, though.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
Over 2 years for me with an S8+ since launch. My phone is literally scratch free and I recharge it nightly with around 60% battery left despite over 8 hours of streaming music and an hour of Netflix or whatever a day.

I'll upgrade once 5G becomes available in my area and not before.