Feb 16, 2018
Oh yikes....posts in the spoiler thread made it sound like this was going to be the greatest super hero movie ever made.

Will probably watch one day when bored and I will definitely have lots of fun, but doesn't seem like the "Zomg you HAAAAVE to watch this movieeee" film I thought/was hoping it would be.
I think most people in that thread are just happy this seems like a good representation of Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet story, and that there seems to some good fanservice for fans of comics and movies.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Its a giant crossover comic. It's the spectacle of seeing all your favorite heroes who normally don't interact team up to fight a huge threat they can only tackle together. Big stakes, doomsday plots, characters die, lots of action and incident, little character or humanity. You have to read the tie in comics/the individual ongoing for that.

Nobody favorite marvel comic is Secret Invasion or Siege or Avengers vs X men, but they have a bombastic charm and are logistically impressive. And hugely important so we're gonna read them anyway.
My favorite comic period is Zero Hour, Damage the boy from Georgia saved the day

Scuffed

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
90% and considering all the reviewers out there that just hate superhero movies just because then that is pretty amazing.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
That's not a flaw. It's a good thing that they use the full 1-10 scale for scores nstead of 9 and up being good and everything below 8 being mediocre or bad. 7 is "good" on that scale, while people on the internet like to treat 7 as "bad".

To be clear, I'm glad that they offer it. I'm just saying that it's hidden and people seem to just look at the big Tomatometer score which can be misleading. A movie can have 90% yet have average review scores that are quite a bit lower than that. I always look at the average score and do so almost immediately.

A seven definitely isn't bad to me. It's a B. It's not great, though, either. These superhero movies are talked about like they're something amazing that'll be looked down upon and cherished for years to come and be like classic movies decades from now, when they generally don't hold a candle to some of the greats.

That's a great score. A 7.8/10 on RT is in the upper echelon of superhero films.

Winter Solider is 7.6 and seen as peak MCU though..

Just so we're clear on the metacritic benchmark, Winter Soldier is 70, Guardians is 76, Civil War is 75, Spider-Man is 73, Ragnarok is 74, and BP is 88.

They're just different consensus metrics. One tells you how many people liked it, the other how much they liked it.
I don't think anyone is expecting The Godfather with aliens that shoot shit, so much as they're wondering if they're likely to have a good time.

That's the thing. Those aren't great scores. They're solid, but the ways these movies are bandied about carries the air of something amazing that's received a 9/10 or will hold up and be revered in years to come. Not decent popcorn and explosion flicks.

A C (American scale) isn't a great test score. A B is better, and that's what that is in Canada on a less crazy scale, but even then it's not an A or anything truly excellent.

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
To be clear, I'm glad that they offer it. I'm just saying that it's hidden and people seem to just look at the big Tomatometer score which can be misleading. A movie can have 90% yet have average review scores that are quite a bit lower than that. I always look at the average score and do so almost immediately.

A seven definitely isn't bad to me. It's a B. It's not great, though, either. These superhero movies are talked about like they're something amazing that'll be looked down upon and cherished for years to come and be like classic movies decades from now, when they generally don't hold a candle to some of the greats.

That's the thing. Those aren't great scores. They're solid, but the ways these movies are bandied about carries the air of something amazing that's received a 9/10 or will hold up and be revered in years to come. Not decent popcorn and explosion flicks.
The tomatometer is a good tool as well. It tells you the percent of critics who recommend the film. Similar to Roger Ebert's thumbs up and thumbs down system.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

A C (American scale) isn't a great test score. A B is better, and that's what that is in Canada on a less crazy scale, but even then it's not an A or anything truly excellent.
88 is actually a really good metacritic score. Movies have won best picture that have had worse. There hasn't been a blockbuster since lord of the rings that's scored that high. Black panther and TLJ have extremely abnormal metacritic scores. I don't know why, theyre good but not all time classics imo.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
What did Grace Randoplh say?

She seemed to like it quite a bit. But all through the review she keeps pointing out how she feels it does things that other moves have been criticized for and she wants to see how people react to it. She still seems to very much have the mindset that Marvel movies get preferential treatment by press and fans compared to a certain other studio. I really like her stuff but I wish she'd chill with that.

Nov 2, 2017
I think at this point we know that the Russo's are good directors and that they can handle ensemble casts pretty well. Like, yeah this is a bit higher stakes in terms of being a culmination, but even if the RT score isn't as godlike as some were hoping for, it's very unlikely that the movie will disappoint most Marvel fans

This ain't Zack Snyder with his long line of stinkers (even though imo man of steel was pretty decent) tackling the first ever Batman/Superman live action crossovers. Russo's and Feige are proven quantities

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
88 is actually a really good metacritic score. Movies have won best picture that have had worse. There hasn't been a blockbuster since lord of the rings that's scored that high. Black panther and TLJ have extremely abnormal metacriticc scores. I don't know why, theyre good but not all time classics imo.
I'm not a fan of metacritic for movies, it's pretty wacked.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017

She seemed to like it quite a bit. But all through the review she keeps pointing out how she feels it does things that other moves have been criticized for and she wants to see how people react to it. She still seems to very much have the mindset that Marvel movies get preferential treatment by press and fans compared to a certain other studio. I really like her stuff but I wish she'd chill with that.

I do not look forward to the tinfoil hat stuff

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I'm glad it's reviewing well, but Marvel Studios earned my trust a long time ago...I'm tempted to read the reviews but I don't want to get spoiled... out here playing frogger with these spoilers til Thursday

Oct 25, 2017
Gordita Beach
Grace Randolph

200w.gif

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad it's reviewing well, but Marvel Studios earned my trust a long time ago...I'm tempted to read the reviews but I don't want to get spoiled... out here playing frogger with these spoilers til Thursday
I have not read one review or watched one impressions, cause I was in 10 years ago and nothing has changed. I just need to watch Dr. Strange to be caught up

Neece

Oct 27, 2017

Stop converting movie grades into test score grades. A 7 on the RT is a good movie. Only 5 comic book movies have ever scored more an 8 or better on that scale. And plenty of oscar winning beloved movies score in the 7 range on RT.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017

I love Grace too, but yeah, she goes bonkers with some stuff, although I try to just have fun with her rants.

Nonetheless, she still does seem bitter about DC flopping hard.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I want the Avengers to crash upon the eternal shore that is Thanos and be broken

JackFrost

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I'm afraid my enjoyment of this movie will be affected by the idea that they may just undo all the changes made.

I am excited and my only hope is that if they make changes to the characters, they stick to them.