• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Now that Endgame has had a re-release, at what stage are you that Avatar will remain #1 of all time?

• Acceptance

Votes: 142 68.9%
  • Acceptance

Votes: 64 31.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Endgame made 2 billion in 11 days and still failed to usurp God King Cameron. Holy fuck.
The movie's audience is inherently limited by the fact that you need to watch at least half a dozen Marvel movies for it to make any kind of sense. Endgame is a sensation to be sure, but grammy and granpy aren't going to get anything out of it like they would with Titanic or Avatar. It makes sense that it was more front-loaded due to the cliffhanger and FOMO/spoiler-phobia......but yeah its audience was pretty much limited to the Marvel audience, therefore all its post-release money can only come from people taking in repeat viewings.

Redmond Barry

Nov 24, 2017
Did these people sleep through the film?

Nah, they liked it, just not enough to remember it 15 minutes after leaving the theater. The reason it repeatedly did so well is because they kept showing up in droves to a movie they already watched numerous times, much to their ignorance. Funnily enough, those 15-minute windows after exiting the theater were just enough for them to enthusiastically recommend the movie to their friends, family, and co-workers.

Leave it to an unfettered cheat like James Cameron to induce mass amnesia on an unsuspecting populace in order to make money at the box office. For shame.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Nah, they liked it, just not enough to remember it 15 minutes after leaving the theater. The reason it repeatedly did so well is because they kept showing up in droves to a movie they already watched numerous times, much to their ignorance. Funnily enough, those 15-minute windows after exiting the theater were just enough for them to enthusiastically recommend the movie to their friends, family, and co-workers.

Leave it to an unfettered cheat like James Cameron to induce mass amnesia on an unsuspecting populace in order to make money at the box office. For shame.
🧐🧐🧐🤔😂🤔👀👀👀

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't sleep through it, but I couldn't tell a character's name until people started arguing years later that people did remember character names. Since this argument has flared up again I've made a point of asking friends what they think of it. Most people barely remember it.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

lol

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
So it's looking like Endgame won't beat Avatar? How embarrassing.

They traded a confident, classy second place for crawling in mud towards the finish line for the same medal. Including an unfinished deleted scene is horse armor levels of trying to wring every dollar out of enthusiastic fans.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most people only went to see Avatar multiple times because they forgot much of the movie as soon as they walked out of the theater. Many of them even forgot that they had seen the movie at all, and bought second and third viewings thinking they had not previously viewed the film.

Originally Avatar made 3 billion dollars, but ~300 million had to be refunded to people who claimed there were fraudulent charges on their credit card since they forgot they saw the film.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one actually saw Avatar, as all the money it made was actually laundered money from the Mob that was eventually used to make countless Terminator sequels and Alita: Battle Angel.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most people only went to see Avatar multiple times because they forgot much of the movie as soon as they walked out of the theater. Many of them even forgot that they had seen the movie at all, and bought second and third viewings thinking they had not previously viewed the film.

Originally Avatar made 3 billion dollars, but ~300 million had to be refunded to people who claimed there were fraudulent charges on their credit card since they forgot they saw the film.
I can't tell who's serious 🤣

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I don't even remember Avatar."

-person who just spent weeks arguing about Avatar on a message board in 2019.
It will never not be funny how people for years kept saying that Avatar had no "cultural significance" yet the movie that had all the "cultural significance" in the world somehow couldn't beat it.

If Avatar had no "cultural significance" what the hell does that mean for The Avengers?

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact: James Cameron has spent so long working on Avatar 2 because he himself forgot he made the first one and has been remaking the exact same script and all the new technology from scratch. He's been really excited about 3D technology and has been pitching it to baffled theater owners who already installed it a decade ago.

It's the real reason he wants people to stop watching Marvel movies: he loves them and is scared if too many people watch them then they'll begin to forget.

Feb 1, 2018
Texas
The sad thing is, if Endgame got that re-expansion in China, it likely could have pulled it off.

Ironically, assuming Avatar 2 beats out Avatar, it'll be because of China as well.

China is the key to all of this, seemingly.

Redmond Barry

Nov 24, 2017
Fun fact: James Cameron has spent so long working on Avatar 2 because he himself forgot he made the first one and has been remaking the exact same script and all the new technology from scratch. He's been really excited about 3D technology and has been pitching it to baffled theater owners who already installed it a decade ago.

It's the real reason he wants people to stop watching Marvel movies: he loves them and is scared if too many people watch them then they'll begin to forget.

Another fun fact: Avatar has actually made more than $10 billion. The reason it's still shown to be at $2.7 billion is because Box Office Mojo and the like keep forgetting the movie's nth re-releases since the first one in 2010 exist, so their numbers are years out of date.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The sad thing is, if Endgame got that re-expansion in China, it likely could have pulled it off.

Ironically, assuming Avatar 2 beats out Avatar, it'll be because of China as well.

China is the key to all of this, seemingly.
True and what's even crazier is that AVATAR only made $150m in China because the market wasn't as big as it is now and Endgame did $614m there.

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
You know where I stand.

I'm curious so I'm in lol
I offer to print mine out and hold it like a sign in my usual avatar, which is me in a lucha mask (my current avatar is from a recent-ish show).
lol I'll likely take it.

You gotta post who is on the other side of the list now. I imagine it would be too hard going back through and collating those names now.
Yes. Write me up! Jake entering Thanos' butthole for all I care
Is there though.thorgif
giphy.gif

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
time to get rid of that poll OP!!! HAHAH
So the poll changes i think? In what stage of grief are the avatar fans now?
And the re-release is next weekend. Huh. Will be interesting to see how much of a dent it makes. I've no interest. Could be worth doing a poll...
PhoncipleBone new poll for the re-release?
I think this poll needs changed 😉

You know what, you all are absolutely right. Poll updated for accuracy.

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I gotta be part of the Avatar side.

i.e. The right side of history.
kXpEjSe.gif

47 names and counting. 2 are permabanned, so lets say 45.

I will keep this list open until the end of the day on July 4th. Just tell me which side are you on, Avatar or Endgame, and that shall determine the text on your avatar that you wear for the next three months.

less

Oct 25, 2017
kXpEjSe.gif

47 names and counting. 2 are permabanned, so lets say 45.

I will keep this list open until the end of the day on July 4th. Just tell me which side are you on, Avatar or Endgame, and that shall determine the text on your avatar that you wear for the next three months.

I love my avatar but for this I can make an exception. Put me on team avatar.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
PhoneyBone I hate to see you suffer alone.

I have written my name in the Book of the Beast, unleash the darkness in me.

Because I'm a winner.

sabrina-winking-at-nicholas-in-the-academy-of-unseen-arts.gif

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Status
Not open for further replies.