• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Also, Clint dying wouldn't have been surprising or especially emotional compared to Widow, one of the longest tenured characters.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
man I don't think a theater experience will ever beat the one I got tonight

when cap held mjollnr people went WILD

Oct 25, 2017
He should have died. He's a shitty ass character, plus Renner's performance was super weak. Why am I being asked to care so much about this character all of a sudden?

Even though I've enjoyed Hawkeye and Renner's performance, arguably they offed Black Widow on the assumption that people would care more about her dying for keeps.

I honestly think the scene and sacrifice really works in a ton of ways set up not necessarily by this movie but by basically everything that came before--Black Widow in the first Avengers is introduced mid-operation, pissed that she's being interrupted, but immediately drops her current mission when she hears Barton has been compromised. A lot of the movies that come after touch on their personal bond, and it's unsurprising that when the world goes to absolute shit and Clint cannot cope with his loss he cuts off contact with a remaining person he cares about. The relationship there has been established over time without ever getting to be a real focal point of the movie, and the ultimate payoff is the reversal of the Gamora sacrifice--instead of one person destroying something they love to further their own gains, it's someone sacrificing themselves to protect someone they love. Either character trying to sacrifice themself to save the other would make sense, and the path they picked relies more heavily on people caring about Black Widow than Hawkeye.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
So if cap got with Peggy, do you think it is fucked up that he basically prevented the relationship with the other dude that Peggy ended up marrying?

My friend had a big problem with that lol.
I don't think that. In that timeline Peggy had not met that man and the only reason she did was because there was no cap for her to get together with. He didn't prevent anything, he just made something different happen. And that's fine because at the end it's a minor thing because Steve is just one man, and not as powerful as an infinity stone that's holding the fabric of reality together. Any changes he makes would be course corrected and normalised by the universe in the grand scheme of things.

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
I really enjoyed the movie but the Russo's haven't quite nailed the pacing. The movie feels like it flows in fits n starts. You def feel the runtime with this one, too. Cameron they are not when it comes to 3-hour movies.
Infinity War was better paced, that's for certain, Endgame feels like two films concepts mixed together, you have the fallout of the snap, then a time travel movie, then a war battle movie. Infinity War was just ONE DAY, so cutting between everyone kept it fast and fresh, even on rewatches, Endgame you have the whole five year time skip, time travel stuff, etc, so just in that comparison alone it's going to feel more clogged down.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest revaluation was that Infinity War took place in 2014.

I just assumed MCU movies for the most part are set in the year they are released.
No. GOTG takes place in 2014. IW in 2018 and Endgame in 2023. Ebony Maw even says Nebula is from 9 years in the future.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah I've seen it and I like the homestead scenes I just don't feel any connection with his character and the rest of the team. He feels like more of an outsider than Capt Marvel.

well you should feel the connection between he and nat, it's made pretty clear in avengers, age of ultron, even civil war with their little fake tussle. his kids call her auntie nat. they were going to name their next child natasha but it turned out to be a boy so they had to go with nathaniel. the clint nat relationship has been strong throughout these movies.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I would guess/hope that the Hawkeye Disney+ show will deal heavily with Clint's guilt over Natasha sacrificing herself for him, and that that will be a driving factor in his passing the mantle on to Kate Bishop.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
It would be great to get a see this on a series on Disney+
Well he does have the space stone with him. And even if not that then we've seen his Quantum travel suit can take coordinates for inputs, would be easy now that they have the exact coordinates of where they took the stones from. Since they all activated their time suits from those locations to get back.

Additionally he also has the hammer and could likely communicate with Heimdall to get to Asgard where he could get transports.

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
I thought the time travel quest in the middle was pretty weak and overlong. It felt like the avengers greatest hits. The first movie felt like it had a lot more stakes than this one.

I will say they ended it pretty epicly though. I guess I would've liked if they got there a little more cleverly.
The time travel quest had so many great moments - character moments and fan moments:
- Cap saying hail hydra to get away with the scepter
- Cap facing off against himself and cringing a bit at the "i could do this all day" line
- Loki opportunistically zipping out with the tesseract (making you think "well what the hell are they going to do now?")
- reframing the post-battle portion of Avengers 1 to show the corruption already present in shield
- the payoff of dr strange's timestone plan, as giving it away is what convinced the ancient one to give the time stone to banner
- the ancient one's time-omniscience showing itself as she knows Dr Strange will come in 5 years' time
- gamora and war machine's little bonding moment over both being part machine
- cap's in-the-flesh encounter with Peggy that plants the seed of coming back to her and staying there
- stark's last chance to spend time with his dad — especially touching after his discovery of his dad's message to him in iron man 2
- Hawkeye and black widow expressing their love for one another in a fight to determine who'll die for the good of the universe and finally erase all the red on their respective ledgers
- Thor having the opportunity to see - and be really seen and understood - by his mother before her death. It was an encounter that finally helps him overcome his depression at failing to kill Thanos and to accept himself for who he is.

And there's more stuff I'm forgetting, but for me this was a great part of the movie.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
The one thing I'm curious about is why would Nebula not immediately activate her time suit after unfreezing. I guess she wanted to warn Clint and Nat, but she could have still activated it straight after as it's a mere button press.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
So if cap got with Peggy, do you think it is fucked up that he basically prevented the relationship with the other dude that Peggy ended up marrying?

My friend had a big problem with that lol.

Did you got to the bathroom in the part where Hulk yells at everyone that they can't change the past and that BTTF is all bullshit?

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
Just got back from watching. Awesome movie, but who was the kid at Tony Stark's funeral.

Edit:
nvm :)

Deleted member 22407

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Clint and Nat dying for him. That whole scene made no fucking sense. There was not set up for it, comes out of nowhere.
Lol I literally just watched Avengers and there's a part where Black Widow talks about her past and how she massacred lots of people. Shield assuaged Clint to take her out, but instead "saved" her. It makes more sense now but the whole were best friends thing wasn't as powerful without that scene

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's the first trailer released before Endgame.

I really doubt that they'd go to the trouble of faking every outdoor shot, but who knows.
Someone mentioned before that Sony is in charge of advertising for that movie, so large-scale fakery for the sake of that trailer is doubly unlikely.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
The coolest part was Cap using Mjolnir
I saw the film again today and yep, that was the hypest of hypest moment in any MCU film I've seen till date. Close 2nd being the entrance of everyone that followed later that made me kind of teary eyed even in 2nd watch. 3rd for me would perhaps be the bridge fight with immigrant song in Ragnarok.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I have never seen a theater reacting so emotionally like for this movie. From laughing with fat Thor, cheering Cap with his Hail Hydra and hammering Thanos to the complete silence and sadness for Tony's death. It was such an amazing experience.

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
It's a bit crazy for me to think Steve and Tony and Nat won't be a part of this anymore. :(

Out of the original 6, Thor, Hawkeye, and Hulk will still stick around in some way and then the newer heroes. I look forward to seeing where they go with this and I hope in 10 years time...we'll still be seeing Spidey on the big screen.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I really doubt that they'd go to the trouble of faking every outdoor shot, but who knows.
Someone mentioned before that Sony is in charge of advertising for that movie, so large-scale fakery for the sake of that trailer is doubly unlikely.

They don't have to fake anything. You're not going to see personal moments of struggle in a trailer like that, especially if they were trying to keep secrets for this.

It's already been said in interviews that Peter is more reluctant to be Spider-Man in FFH and just wants to enjoy his vacation, and it's almost certain that part of his motivation in that decision is what he experienced here.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe this was already brought up, but I realize on top of killing off Tony and giving us Retiring age Steve, the Russo's just gave basically every OG Avenger cast member an out of the MCU. My dumbass just realized the credits sequence was the actors signing off from the films.

Black Widow is dead and could stay dead indefinitely.

Hulk's true love is dead and the gauntlet did a number to his body. I could see him playing minor supporting roles in the future but he's basically out of commission.

Thor is tricky. He's basically wants to wander the universe but he's flying off with the GotG. They'll could easily write off his absence in Vol. 3 by saying he went his own way. that escaped Loki with the Tesseract is a important plot element that they can't really have without Thor, though.

Hawkeye was basically retired like 3 movies ago and really wants to just settle in with his family. I don't see him ever coming back in any substantial way.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Random thought: Did Nebula know about the Vormir sacrifice at all? How come she didn't tell them?

You'd think Cap would've been the one to die....

I actually got spoiled that Cap would die wielding Mjolnir. idk if that was a lucky guess or they shot alternate scenes but I fully believed it, and ended up taking the focus off Iron Man for me so I was truly caught off guard when he died.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
You'd think Cap would've been the one to die....
That's what I was thinking months ago but I was also biased because I wanted Tony to live more.

Tony should have died in Iron Man 1, his whole arc since Avengers has been about stopping Thanos. He's his opposite. The Stark gauntlet was predictable. And Strange's words in IW definitely alluded to Tony needing to die.

In Ultron we saw in Steve's dream we saw that what he wants the most is to go back to be with Peggy. At the end of Ultron, he gives up on that dream because he thinks it's impossible, until he sees Peggy in the 70s.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I love how they're setting up spidey, dude at 15-16 has already fought intergalactic foes and has had the greatest mentors around him.

Dudes gonna be a monster once he figures it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.