Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Considering ticket prices have only increased in the last 10 years films like The Force Awakens and Infinity War should have had no problem at least matching Avatar. However they did not come close.

Non 3D ticket prices are now pricier than 3D tickets from 10 years ago around here.

It wasn't just 3D. It was IMAX 3D. Those showings were sold out for a long time and they were very expensive.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
It wasn't just 3D. It was IMAX 3D. Those showings were sold out for a long time and they were very expensive.

That's only one theater in an multiplex that might have had it playing on 6 screens. Not to mention many cities only have 1 imax screen if they have even that one. 3D helped Avatar but if you actually go and look at the numbers its longevity is what made Avatar its money. Avatar is barely in the top 100 in opening weekend domestic and international sales. What makes it exceptional is that it did opening weekend numbers for like 8 or 10 weeks. That's also why it hasn't been topped. You don't see those kinds of long term sales as much any more because the dead seasons are so much shorter than they were a decade ago.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Crazy to think this was the opening shot of Iron Man, and how far we've come....
iron-man-1.png

Nov 1, 2017
Even with if this were true, it takes a lot of assumptions to believe it will do *worse* than the predecessor. If you follow that logic, it would still do the same as IW, not worse.

Thanos and the snap have become ingrained in pop culture over the last year or so. No way the general interest in watching this film hasn't gone up.

Endgame will have a lot more competition than IW. I could easily see it grossing a bit less. It's also longer, which could mean less showtimes in the long run.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
It is tough to find examples of the penultimate film doing better than the finale in big franchises where the finale is highly anticipated:

Revenge of the sith made 200m more than clones
Deathly hallows part 2 made 400m more than part 1
Return of the king 200m+ more than two towers

Couple of exceptions like hunger games but certainly trends point to endgame outgrossing infinity war by 15-30%. If it is on the high end of that like Harry Potter then titanic goes down and avatar is in danger.

Interesting, thanks! Like I said, my guess was not data-backed. I'd love to see this happen.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
I watched it in IMAX 3D (real IMAX) when it was released. Showings were booked like crazy for weeks. I also remeber those ticket prices being cheaper than current 2D IMAX prices at the same theatre.

3D played a factor in the overall gross. Avatar benefited from 3D and the price that came along with it. However the way 3D is thrown out sometimes as the reason it grossed 2.7B makes it seem like it was the only factor.

Films don't gross that much without having many positive factors playing a role.

Phoony17

Oct 27, 2017
Narangba, AUS

This is going to do insane numbers in China.

It'll kill it across it's entire run but I think OW won't be that big. It opens on the Wednesday which, correct me if I'm wrong, is different to the normal Friday release there.

Sunday is also a working day in China that weekend because the following week has holidays. Sunday drop will be quite massive.