• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How Excited are you for the Return of the Avatar Cinematic Universe

• 5 - Very, tickets pre-ordered

Votes: 136 14.6%
  • 4 - Looks very promissing I am in

Votes: 285 30.5%
  • 3 - I might check it out...

Votes: 166 17.8%
  • 2 - Not really feeling it, but maybe more information will turn the tables

Votes: 132 14.1%
  • 1 - I'm out.

Votes: 57 6.1%
  • 0 - Pocahontas 2: The Dark Unobtainium

Votes: 158 16.9%

• Total voters

DinkyDev

Feb 5, 2021
Spears are the new guns.

In the version attached to "Lightyear," Jake doesn't have a gun at all, but rather a long spear. The implication is clear: "Lightyear" is a movie for kids (although one that actually features a fair amount of gun, er, laser play) and they didn't want to have a gun in the trailer.
www.thewrap.com

Avatar: The Way of Water Teaser Trailer Edited for Lightyear

Avatar: The Way of Water is one of Disney's most important movies of the year and the teaser is everywhere, including on Lightyear, but with a twist.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I've looked high and low for reactions on those 4 scenes and came up empty.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
So we're almost certainly going to be getting the full theatrical trailer for this thing around November 10th when Wakanda Forever hits, given the first Avatar released its theatrical trailer 6 weeks prior to release and the teaser for TWoW was attached to a big Marvel release as well.

cobble

Banned
Aug 2, 2022
Does anybody watch the first Avatar movie over and over again, or is everybody just nostalgic for that movie after seeing it basically once?
The first one had the excitement of 3D graphics which was pretty new. Is the new one exciting because it has "water" graphics? Or is there something about the characters and world and story that has you hooked to see more?

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
Does anybody watch the first Avatar movie over and over again, or is everybody just nostalgic for that movie after seeing it basically once?
The first one had the excitement of 3D graphics which was pretty new. Is the new one exciting because it has "water" graphics? Or is there something about the characters and world and story that has you hooked to see more?
TIL some people are nostalgic for Avatar

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017

I've probably watched it a dozen times over the years. I love it. It's an excellent movie with production values beyond nearly everything else out there, and I like the characters and the story, even if it is familiar.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Do hordes of people have to be brainlessly fanatical about Avatar to justify the sequels existing?

It's a very entertaining, supremely well-made action adventure movie, I've watched it several times at home since its original theatrical release. I always saw Avatar as an open and shut kind of movie so if Cameron never returned it it would have been no skin off my back. But I am interested in seeing whatever it is he has cooked up.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's probably the best kind of escapism in the genre since its release. There are few movies that do such an effective job of transporting to the audience to another place and immersing them in its world to the degree Avatar does. There have been few movies that have done it at all in the past decade or so, let alone as well as Avatar does. Gravity and Dune are examples of movies that immerse and transport their audience on a visceral level beginning to approach the same level, but I can't really think of others.

The sequel will likely dial into this same sense of making the audience feel present like no other film has since. That's where a large amount of interest likely comes from.