Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Gonna go watch it tonight. I watched it initially on a CRT monitor and it was a Cam rip (I live in a third world country we literally didn't have a cinema back in 2009). Even though I'm not too crazy about watching this again since the story is kinda cookie cutter, but it'll definitely be an upgrade lol.

gilded_Pb

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be honest, when I watched it during the initial release I didnt really care for it apart from the 3d gimmick, and even then I kinda resented it for the whole 3d fad that followed. I don't usually outright dislike anything I watch because normally I know what Im getting into before I watch it so if I completely discard something after I watch it, thats as bad as it gets. I have not had the desire to rewatch it at all. Until I saw it again yesterday. And I gotta say, I kinda loved it. Enjoyed it way more than I remember all those years ago. I didnt give a shit about that sequel before, but now Im actually looking forward to it. So nice job Cameron, the marketing worked on me.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
Gonna go watch it tonight. I watched it initially on a CRT monitor and it was a Cam rip (I live in a third world country we literally didn't have a cinema back in 2009). Even though I'm not too crazy about watching this again since the story is kinda cookie cutter, but it'll definitely be an upgrade lol.
This is definitively one of those instances where seeing it on the big screen makes a huge difference.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't seen Avatar since the original release because I thought the only way this should be watched is in the theater with 3d. I'm going to have to try and fit it in my schedule.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
There was a 14-year old sitting next to me with his mom and when I realized that this kid was either a baby or straight up not born yet when the movie originally released I almost crumbled into dust right then and there.

Dude loved it though.
Yeh that'll do it lol. I played Destiny recently with someone born after the Matrix and I was like 👩‍🦳👩‍🦳👩‍🦳

I had a similar thing when I went and saw Baz Luhrmann's Romeo and Juliet in the cinema last year. There were three women to my left who looked in their early twenties and I realised this is likely to be their first time watching it as they probably weren't even born when it came out. I thought to myself ooo you are not ready for this emotion. Sure enough the ending comes and all of them are a complete wreck. I was too, but it was satisfying seeing them go through it as well lmao.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Tickets booked for Sunday at an AMC laser screen, standard Real3D. My wife loves dine in theaters because of the huge seating so no IMAX or Dolby for us, but since these are new laser projectors that were installed recently, I'm hoping for quite the spectacle.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
There was a 14-year old sitting next to me with his mom and when I realized that this kid was either a baby or straight up not born yet when the movie originally released I almost crumbled into dust right then and there.

Dude loved it though.

Yep my son is 17, I didn't really want to chance it with 3D on his eyes back then (and tbh if he did see it he wouldn't remember it) so this'll be his first time watching. I'm trying not to hype it up too much but since he loves MCU action and VFX I think Avatar will melt his face (and the stock plot won't bother him lol). We are doing laser imax

gilded_Pb

Oct 27, 2017

Dude loved it though.
The girl that gave me the 3d glasses told me she was 4 years old when it originally came out. Felt my soul leave my body.

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Do we have info yet on what showing do/don't have HFR? I'm going to a city for work travel soon that has 4dx so I wanted to try it at least once, but I don't want to miss out on the HFR either

Oct 29, 2017
USA
This movie still holds up visually. It's enough of a reason to see this whether it's your first, second, or fifth time.

I was only able to see a plain Real3D show but it got the job done after I got the staff to fix the projector to get the 3D working properly. If there was any HFR content, I didn't catch it. Either it didn't exist or it was done extremely well and seamlessly.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I saw a potato cam of the after credit scene of Avatar 2. It was only 20 seconds in a shitty quality but it was unbelievable. Can't imagine what it looks
Like proper.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Just got back. I love this film so much, I really do. It's something I can't help but connect with and get enveloped by. It absolutely still holds up and were it to have released like this anew today it would still wow people. It looks stunning. When the teaser for Way of Water came on though, my mouth fell open. Having just watched the full first film again and still been impressed by the visuals, I wasn't ready to get an immediate comparative view. It looks phenomenal.

There was a 10:50pm showing right afterward that I was going to turn around and walk straight back into but the better seats had been taken, and in secret I was hoping for a solo showing. So I will try again in the weekday showings next week and hope to catch one where it's just me and the screen. Making it the only film I'll have seen 6 times in the cinema. I would happily keep adding to that tally were it a permanent fixture. It doesn't get old to me, and especially not in 3D on the big screen.

So thankful they re-released it and gave me a chance to see it again, as it should be seen. Oel ngati kameie.

ahoyle

Feb 16, 2018
Taking my 9 yr old daughter, 13 yr old stepson, and wife to see it on a Dolby screen tomorrow. Will be first viewing and first Dolby theater experience for all 3. Can't wait!

The Mad Mango

Oct 27, 2017
What are the odds that this will still be showing in premium formats (Dolby 3D, IMAX 3D) next weekend? My seats for this weekend aren't great.

The Mad Mango

Oct 27, 2017
100% since the large majority of screenings are for those two formats and regular 3D and nothing major is coming out to supplant this.

I'm sure the regular 3D will still be there, but I wonder about IMAX 3D in particular. Even Top Gun Maverick only stayed in imax for like 3 weeks. This is a limited two week release.

My local IMAX replaces Avatar with an Indian movie next Thursday and Friday. Nothing listed for the weekend. I think I'll just play it safe.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Went home for the weekend and got tickets for my parents and I at the local premium screen Sunday. First time I'll have ever watched it with them.

3d, 4k projector (not sure about hfr and hdr is very doubtful), atmos sound system, and reclining seats. Curious about whether it was remixed for atmos or not. Thought I read yes.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Screenshot-2022-09-23-164330.png

Looks like I'm getting HFR 😭

The Mad Mango

Oct 27, 2017
I live in Denver and I'm confused at what the best theatre/format to go see this in?

It's very convoluted, because there are essentially several desired variables at play here: 3D, 4K, HDR, HFR (in some scenes), and uncropped image.

Here's my best understanding, though keep in mind this is all what I've gathered from social media. There's no official guidelines whatsoever.

Dolby Cinema 3D or Imax Laser 3D are your best bets. Which one is better depends on the individual setup of the theater. Dolby Cinema 3D will almost certainly give you 4K, HDR, and HFR, but the image may be cropped to fill the "native" aspect ratio of the screen (which varies based on location). Imax Laser 3D will almost certainly give you 4K, HDR (though not as good as Dolby?), and an uncropped image, but only the single-laser (not the dual-laser) Imax Laser theaters will show HFR. (Source, but ignore the comment about Dolby Cinema being Cameron's preferred format. I've never seen any evidence he said this). You can figure out what setup your Imax uses here (not updated this year) : https://lfexaminer.com/theaters/

So really, single-laser Imax Laser 3D appears to be the only uncompromised option, though I suppose the Dolby Cinema may have better HDR. Worth noting though that good OLED TVs supposedly have better HDR than any theater.

Dolby Cinema 3D is a close second choice, as Avatar was intended to be screened at both aspect ratios anyway. And dual-laser Imax Laser is a close second choice too; you get the uncropped image, you just don't get the occasional HFR. Though frankly, I think the HFR usage is the most interesting part of this re-release, so I really wish they would message better which theaters are offering it.

The other options available are largely 2K, SDR to my knowledge. Though maybe they have HFR? And non-laser IMAX would still be uncropped I believe.

Last edited:

rude

Oct 25, 2017
in addition to what The Mad Mango said, it is worth noting that if you're in the US Regal has been going around doing IMAX upgrades across the country over the last year or so and has upgraded many Xenon projectors (i.e. 2K) to laser (this may not be noted on lfexaminer, so you will have to do your own investigation)

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Question for those that have seen it so far today: I know there's a clip of the sequel after the credits, but did they also play the teaser before the movie (and in 3D)?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Question for those that have seen it so far today: I know there's a clip of the sequel after the credits, but did they also play the teaser before the movie (and in 3D)?
They played the non-3D advert for it beforehand, and then the few minutes long clip plays in 3D mid-credits.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Really enjoyed it, of course couldn't have been blown away by it since it's been 13 years of seeing 3d movies, but I can see why it was such a mindblowing experience back then. Also, that CGI is insane even today, if you told me that this movie came out yesterday I would totally believe you, and then they hit you in the face with that Way of the Water scene that looks even better lol. For some reason I must be misremembering the plot, but I was 100% sure that Sigourney's survived in the Avatar body back in 2009?!? And also wasn't the "love making scene" where they connected their hair together and made such a big deal out of it cause it's so much better than sex? All of that was not there in the version I saw today, did they re cut stuff? Can't wait for the sequel now, even though I wasn't hyped at all.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They played the teaser in 3D in my showing.

The 3D looked frankly ridiculously played up for teaser-only purposes. OTOH it looked super natural and more similar to the original Avatar in the Avatar 2 clip that played after the credits.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
The one theater near me with Dolby Cinema is only showing Don't Worry Darling on it for the next two weeks, ugh. I do have a single laser IMAX so hopefully that'll be HFR.

Oct 29, 2017
USA
For some reason I must be misremembering the plot, but I was 100% sure that Sigourney's survived in the Avatar body back in 2009?!? And also wasn't the "love making scene" where they connected their hair together and made such a big deal out of it cause it's so much better than sex? All of that was not there in the version I saw today, did they re cut stuff?

1) She has always died.

2) I think them connecting their hair is an extended cut addition. This release is just the theatrical cut. I hope the eventual 4K Blu-ray has the extended cut on it, but I won't get my hopes up.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
My lord that was exceptional. Having never seen the movie in theaters before…it's absolutely jaw dropping even now. The scope, the depth of the scene (with 3D), the music, the action…it really is awesome. I love this movie. I think I had only seen it once before and was too young to really "care".

Then…you get the 4 minutes of Way of the Water. After this clip I am going into the movie fully expecting it to be the best looking movie ever. The way the CG seamlessly moved with the camera made it feel like something I had never seen before. It felt like a documentary. Like a camera was just sitting out there in the middle of the ocean watching this boy tend to a whale. Just ridiculous…

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I took my 11 year old to see it tonight in IMAX 3D. We both loved it. I always did. I had not seen it since it was originally in theaters which was obviously before my kid was born. It's great to share this experience with them.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Just got back and yup 3D really is transformational for this movie. It was just so much more visually interesting to me in 3D. The footage of the second movie looked even better! Will definately go see it in Dolby 3D as well.

Turnabout Sisters

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That title hurts. All home and streaming releases of The Last Airbender have looked like hyper processed fried asshole. I have no hope either for a proper release since I doubt much care was put into the picture quality of a kids show.

HVivi

Nov 29, 2020
Just got back from seeing it again. Such a great movie. So fun and engaging from beginning to end. The 3D was great. I was worried such a special effects heavy movie wouldn't hold up but somehow it did. Can't wait for the sequel.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
So I always go to Dolby Cinema near me.

But a theater about 40 minutes away just upgraded to a Laser IMAX. I felt newer = better. Maybe that was foolish?

Should I keep my Laser IMAX tickets or flip to Dolby Cinema? I really wish HFR was explicitly called out on the showtimes.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Metreon IMAX in SF had a special screening with Adam Arron. If you're at all curious about what he had to say before the film, someone recorded it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gysdIzjM4qQ

Anyway, I was SO CLOSE to deciding to go in IMAX 3D, cause my theater has the Laser system and a massive screen. But since it's dual laser... I won't get the HFR (reportedly), also IMAX Laser is not a true HDR like Dolby Cinema... I was going to see it that way because the showtimes work better for me. But I am now considering Dolby Cinema instead for the more feature-full experience.

If you've never seen it on IMAX before, and want to see it in 3D then dual laser will still be epic. But for me, the stars of this re-release are the HDR and the HFR scenes (since Avatar 2 and 3 both will have these) so I think people should prioritize it that way. You'll still get the 3D too, on any showing that has both, it seems.

Last edited:

Maximilian

The Dood
Verified
Feb 19, 2019
Dolby Cinema 3D, booked.

Feels weird as IMAX was the premium experience back in 2009 for the premiere.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
Saw it yesterday. Kinda amazing how much more the 3D hits after 13 years of shitty 2D>3D converted movies. And whoever thinks that the A2 preview isn't a leap from A1 should book an appointment with an eye doctor the next day. The whale alone looks so much better than any creature in the first movie.

Tom_Cody

Oct 28, 2017
Metreon IMAX in SF had a special screening with Adam Arron. If you're at all curious about what he had to say before the film, someone recorded it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gysdIzjM4qQ

Anyway, I was SO CLOSE to deciding to go in IMAX 3D, cause my theater has the Laser system and a massive screen. But since it's dual laser... I won't get the HFR (reportedly), also IMAX Laser is not a true HDR like Dolby Cinema... I was going to see it that way because the showtimes work better for me. But I am now considering Dolby Cinema instead for the more feature-full experience.

If you've never seen it on IMAX before, and want to see it in 3D then dual laser will still be epic. But for me, the stars of this re-release are the HDR and the HFR scenes (since Avatar 2 and 3 both will have these) so I think people should prioritize it that way. You'll still get the 3D too, on any showing that has both, it seems.

WTF, dual laser isn't HFR? I just bought a ticket for a dual laser IMAX for next week.

The communication related to this release has been so bad. I guess I can't blame them since 95% of the people going to see this probably won't care and just want to enjoy the movie, but it's really annoying for me.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
So which would be better, IMAX 3D or Dolby? The closest Dolby 3D theater to me is an hour and a half drive, so would non-3D Dolby be the way to go or is IMAX 3D still the better choice of the two?

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
This re-release pulling in strong numbers globally is just perfect proof of how much of a bubble social media is. Like, there are hundreds of millions of people who aren't Chronically Online and just watch movies and enjoy them without really talking about it.

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
Got 3$ tickets to this tonight in RPX 3d (thanks wario 64). Cant wait, havnt seen it since theaters in 2009

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

‘Avatar’ Rerelease Rises To $11M Worldwide Through Friday – International Box Office

Avatar rerelease generates $11 million globally through Friday on way to $25M weekend
Already on Wednesday and Thursday, Avatar saw several No. 1 openings, and on Friday added top starts in Indonesia and Taiwan. In the UK, the launch day was $300K at No. 3 (Don't Worry Darling and Ticket to Paradise are ahead of it there). This was 13% bigger than Star Wars: Episode I's rerelease launch and 249% bigger than the recent rerelease of Spider-Man: No Way Home. Eighty-six percent of box office was from 3D.

Japan for its part took 100% of its grosses from 3D and landed 7% behind Phantom Menace's 2012 reissue and 488% higher than No Way Home's more recent rerelease.

How is Avatar doing this against the pop cultural phenomenon that is Spider-Man

😏

Seems it will do okay numbers for a re-release.