• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
I have 5 Aunties and calling them Auntie sounds way better then calling them Aunt.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
It sounds too old. Maybe call your grandparents sister Auntie. But your parents sister being Auntie sounds wrong, unless they make pretzels I guess.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Auntie is to Aunt as Mommy is to Mom. Its just very juvenile sounding and its an extra syllable no one has time for.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
auntie is big in the black community.

i say "tia". i'm latino.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to come across like I"m mocking black culture.

The big white dispute is between "aunt" and "ant"

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Aunt or Auntie is fine. Neither sounds like "baby talk". Some of y'all are weird.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
why do we have different cultures and languages?

wasn't it about building a tower to god or sommat?

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Just to be clear even though I think auntie sounds weird to me it doesn't mean I have a problem with the terminology. It's not super prevelant in white families. I've heard my African American friends say it but they grew up calling their aunties that

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
When I was 2-4 years old I called my mom "mommy". I've never actually heard an adult call their mother that. It might be a cultural thing though.
Well, I find it odd but my first language is Spanish and I make heavy use of ma, mamá, and mommy since I could talk. This includes around just English speakers and never had anyone point it out to me. So I find this weird.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Just like the 2 ways of pronouncing it, I think it's regional.

Before I moved: Everyone uses "auntie" (including adults)
After moving: Use "aunt" to refer to family, but sometimes "aunties" to refer to older women

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Well, I find it odd but my first language is Spanish and I make heavy use of ma, mamá, and mommy since I could talk. This includes around just English speakers and never had anyone point it out to me. So I find this weird.

Do you watch English TV or movies at all? You will almost never hear that word come out of an adult characters mouth, unless it is an adult talking to a child. Again its clearly a cultural thing and nobody is going to be so rude to tell you not to call your mom "mommy", but I'm just saying its not typical amongst people I know or TV/Movies I watch for adult characters to refer to their mom as mommy.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"Aunt" ends too sharply - you can't easily roll the word into the actual name of the person. For example, "Auntie Mary" flows WAY better than "Aunt Mary."

In the abstract I would use the word "aunt" - for example, "I was visiting my aunt last weekend" - but as a title, it's always Auntie.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
its football vs soccer or feet vs meters, most cultures I think use auntie/uncle while a few (American? not sure who else) use Aunt/Uncle

i know when we visit my wifes (asian) in country relatives literally everyone is either auntie X or uncle Y, the actual relation doesn't matter. Its almost the equivalent of Mr or Mrs. If you help an old lady across the street or to pull down a can from the grocery store, you rush up "let me help you auntie..."

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have time for extra syllables. I've saved so much time saying Aunt instead of (the longer one), you don't even know!

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
my generation was the ant generation, somewhere along the line people tried to sell the auntie lie. I witnessed it happen, but said nothing.

sometimes i said "aunt"

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Because it is? It's literally juvenile terminology

Like said above, it could be a regional / cultural thing.
You just made me think back to the time i was over a white friend's house and his mom told him to do something and he went off on her. As black child that was like seeing a UFO for the first time.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
I used to call mine Auntie when I was a kid, as an adult I just call them by name, some are common names so if someone needs clarification on who I'm talking about it'll be "My Aunt" for non-family members or "Auntie ________" for relatives. Though that's rare as they usually pick up that if I say "Jen" I mean our shared Aunt, or if I'm talking to an Aunt/Uncle that I mean their sister.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
12b79c3be58a5254e2d485bcdcf414ba.gif

Killmonger knows what's up.

...and it's also used by Nigerians.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Do you watch English TV or movies at all? You will almost never hear that word come out of an adult characters mouth, unless it is an adult talking to a child. Again its clearly a cultural thing and nobody is going to be so rude to tell you not to call your mom "mommy", but I'm just saying its not typical amongst people I know or TV/Movies I watch for adult characters to refer to their mom as mommy.
It's not something I ever though about until I read this thread frankly. Also I'm American who just had non-English speaking parents. I refer to my mother as mommy like 90% of the time. In person or on the phone(even text lol).

This notion that it's not a thing adults say is throwing me for a loop. Either way, learned something new today, will happily raise my daughter to refer to her mother as Mommy as she grows still. Maybe folks will feel less weird and start using it more.

This conversation just reminds me why I find English such a harsh and ugly language.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
Auntie and Aunt were both terms I used as a kid. I dont think I've said either along with Uncle since I was a teen.