Oct 25, 2017
I could see MAPPA maybe adding the convos Eren had with the others that weren't shown. Also really think they could omit some of the stuff that was briefly glossed over yet could cause tons of debates like Eren being the one who caused Dina to eat his mom. I don't feel like removing that would take anything away, but actually make it better.
No keep that shit with Dina. I don't mind the Mikasa's mine convo being wiped from existence, but Eren being the one that causes all of his problems needs to stay.

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
A bit annoyed with all the "cuck" and "incel" shit flying around...
Personally, I see that scene as Eren opening up to his best friend like he's never done before because it's his last chance to do so. Yes, he's being childish and self-centered there, and so blunt it's funny/pathetic (especially considering he had just been acting like the edgiest of edgelords for years, at that point), but he says himself that he knows all that, he knows it's a horrible thing to even think, and Mikasa must never know. He's just frustrated that he can no longer have that kind of life. It's kind of a far less dramatic version of Carla's "don't go". That doesn't make them awful people.
And yes, I can see how Mikasa's last scene can make it look a lot worse because "holy shit, Eren got his selfish wish anyway: Mikasa's life still revolves around him years later!", but let's not forget that Historia was seen celebrating her child's third birthday: in all likelihood, Mikasa's there because it's the third anniversary of Eren's death, not because she's "always" there.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I could see MAPPA maybe adding the convos Eren had with the others that weren't shown. Also really think they could omit some of the stuff that was briefly glossed over yet could cause tons of debates like Eren being the one who caused Dina to eat his mom. I don't feel like removing that would take anything away, but actually make it better.
I might be off my rocker, I might be in my "hot take" phase of digesting the chapter and these things may not be the improvements I think they are, but here's a couple of things:

• Remove the shit with Ymir.
  • Remove the stuff with Dina, because it is way undercooked and adds very little, except controversy.
  • Either flesh out the convos with other people or just skip out on everyone crying over Eren at the end there. Really, no one but Armin and Mikasa, who still loved him despite everything, should mourn his dumb ass like that.
  • That thank you for being mass murderer line should be changed somehow. It could be just a bad translation, but damn.
  • Change Historia's words at the end there so she ISN'T suddenly pro-genocide. That way, there's more of a tangible hope of things possibly working out and the peace effort possibly succeeding despite Paradis going Yeager-Nazi out of fear.
  • Have Mikasa visit Eren's grave with a child in her arms or something. Goddamn it, she can still hold feelings and regrets over him, but she should have moved on. Why undo her greatest moment at the end of 138 like that.
Some of this might be going too far into straight up retcon instead of working with the ending we were given and I really, really hate the fact that Eren's insanity was swerved into "Code Geass sacrifice" at the end, but hey these are my hot takes.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
JNDMgOX.png

Wari Oman

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 2, 2021
I liked it, but I could understand why people have issues with it.
Also the chapter confirmed that Eren was both locked into his fate and he also wanted it, which makes sense and is interesting enough in a chicken or the egg sort of way.

What I don't get is why Armin doesn't give him more shit for it, even thanking him. Is it Armin's way of coping and deluding himself? That does seem to be a theme these past chapters..[/spoilers]

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I think the real purpose of the Dina scene besides SHOCK is to show how Eren is truly responsible for everything. He and the fans can no longer completely pass the buck to Reiner and co for the death of his mom, he's become more directly responsible.

Eren is responsible for his own origin story. Eren is one of the most selfish characters ever, what a team he and Historia make.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Final chapter:

That sucked. That was more disappointing than I imagined it would be. Just...what.

I'm still in the "please say sike" phase because some of the lines from that chapter felt like parody and I questioned whether I was reading a troll translation or something. BRuh.

FMA still the goat

Wari Oman

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 2, 2021
I think the real purpose of the Dina scene besides SHOCK is to show how Eren is truly responsible for everything. He and the fans can no longer completely pass the buck to Reiner and co for the death of his mom, he's become more directly responsible.

Eren is responsible for his own origin story. Eren is one of the most selfish characters ever, what a team he and Historia make.

Yeah it really shows that he is the absolute worst and both a slave to his fate AND desires which are intertwined.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
so...

that little farm convo between Eren and Mikasa, that was the same deal as what he did with Armin? Time also moves very differently in that place, no? I wonder if Eren and Mikasa actually got what felt like 4 years together before she got mind wiped? Would that help explain why she was still so caught up over him in the end?

Yeah it really shows that he is the absolute worst and both a slave to his fate AND desires which are intertwined.

and we kind of get a glimpse of this when he is talking to Ramzi, before the boy dies.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Overall, I think the ending needed to be two chapters instead.

Aside from some... weird dialogue and plot point choices on Isayama's part, giving the ending more breathing room alone would have done a lot to improve it.

As it stands, it is not anywhere as bad as some of the misinterpreted leaks suggested
For example, it is clear from the full chapter that, no, Eren didn't actually go on his genocide path, because Mikasa wouldn't be with him (or rather Mikasa was too flustered on the spot to admit her feelings there when he suddenly asked her out of nowhere for the first time in their lives ... seriously, Eren being like that over one woman who was straight up simping for him is hilarious). Him also being a pathetic simp is besides the point.

The one truly awful part that can't be skipped over in an adaptation or something is Mikasa undoing the only character development she has ever gotten and still being a simp for Eren.
but it is kinda lukewarm.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the actual reason for the Dina scene was to show Eren directed Dina away from Bert because Armin was going to inherit the Colossal... I mean, Eren's mom had already been crushed in a titan warzone. If Dina didn't eat her then one of the other pures would have. Yeah, Eren is "responsible" for the insta-kill of his mom but it seems to be done more out of necessity for Armin to be the one to save humanity.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah gotta be honest, this ending ruined the entire series. This is easily the worst ending Ive ever read on a super popular shonnen. This shit makes Kimetsu No Yaiba ending look Oscar worthy. Eren was ruined, Mikasa was ruined, Ymir was ruined. What the fuck Isayama you mad man.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah gotta be honest, this ending ruined the entire series. This is easily the worst ending Ive ever read on a super popular shonnen. This shit makes Kimetsu No Yaiba ending look Oscar worthy. Eren was ruined, Mikasa was ruined, Ymir was ruined. What the fuck Isayama you mad man.

I think some of the damage can be mitigated if you imagine Eren and Mikasa spent what FELT like 4 years in their little dream world, would explain why they felt so obsessed with each other.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
So, wanted to buy the manga chapters instead of waiting for the anime for months. Just finished the last available episode of season 4 before the 2nd half. Which manga chapter does this align to?

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing really to say about this chapter besides "It was fine." Ending stories is a hard thing to do, especially one as intricate as this one.

Hell of a ride Isayama

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think some of the damage can be mitigated if you imagine Eren and Mikasa spent what FELT like 4 years in their little dream world, would explain why they felt so obsessed with each other.
True, if they really were in some form of the paths realm, we know time just crawls by in there.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017

I never thought I'd ever type something like this but yeah Demon Slayer's garbage ending was better than this.

I'm sure over time I'll be a lot more level headed about this over time but I'm just so disappointed at the moment. It's like GoT all over again.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So, wanted to buy the manga chapters instead of waiting for the anime for months. Just finished the last available episode of season 4 before the 2nd half. Which manga chapter does this align to?

If you have a crunchyroll sub the first chapter (115) there is the one the anime left off of (a lot of it was covered in the episode but one major thing wasn't)

Timelord19

One Winged Slayer
Aug 21, 2018
Mallorca, Spain
It would have been cool if future Eren somehow mind wipped himself to act like this, because this Eren and the character post time skip are different persons[\SPOILER]

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
Goddamnit.
We didn't.
I think we did a long time ago. He simply showed him the Rumbling.
Grisha went along with the plan when Future Eren reminded him of his duty / his sister's death, then regretted it because holy shit the Rumbling though, then let Eren eat him anyway because he had just heard about his second wife's death.

I think the actual reason for the Dina scene was to show Eren directed Dina away from Bert because Armin was going to inherit the Colossal... I mean, Eren's mom had already been crushed in a titan warzone. If Dina didn't eat her then one of the other pures would have. Yeah, Eren is "responsible" for the insta-kill of his mom but it seems to be done more out of necessity for Armin to be the one to save humanity.
Yeah, I think it's more of a "it's fucked up that Eren's Doctor Manhattan powers/role had him reenact that scene from that perspective", which is why Armin decides to immediately change the subject.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't get what the point of Bert was, like was Dina going to eat him instead? Was that ever implied? Why did Eren need to direct her away from him?

Wari Oman

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 2, 2021

I think Mikasa's feelings have been clear since Season 2. It's just Eren's that come kinda out of nowwhere after being a blockhead for so long. The first time he asked is also when he meets Ramzi and between that and this chapter there is nothing.

I hope the anime fixes this a bit.

JAA55

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego
So from what I got from this chapter. The only way for Eren to end the titan curse was for Ymir to see mikasa kill him? Guess any other ending wouldn't have ended the titan curse

Eren has to be the biggest slave of the story yet free. Like how I see it he was free to do what he wanted because he was born. Yet he was always gonna be a psychopath that would commit genocide. A slave to his own self.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
I think Mikasa's feelings have been clear since Season 2. It's just Eren's that come kinda out of nowwhere after being a blockhead for so long. The first time he asked is also when he meets Ramzi and between that and this chapter there is nothing.

I hope the anime fixes this a bit.

Oh yeah, her feelings have been super clear. I just thought that tiny head-canon simply made her 3 year simp slightly more understandable.

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
So from what I got from this chapter. The only way for Eren to end the titan curse was for Ymir to see mikasa kill him? Guess any other ending wouldn't have ended the titan curse
Well, Zeke's plan might have worked. And I'm not convinced there wouldn't have been other ways. We'll never know.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Then Eren is more of a slave than Mikasa was. No wonder why he stated he hate her. She reminds himself of everything that he represents.
I still don't get what the point of Bert was, like was Dina going to eat him instead? Was that ever implied? Why did Eren need to direct her away from him?

I mean going by titan instinct i'd say yes? Pure titans go for the first human they see and eat. Don't think Dina had the choice to ignore Bertholt

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I mean going by titan instinct i'd say yes? Pure titans go for the first human they see and eat. Don't think Dina had the choice to ignore Bertholt
True, but it looked like the titans were going for humans in shiganshina anyway no? also bertholdt is way too powerful to be threatened by one measly Titan like Dina, I can't picture a scenario at all where he lets himself get killed by her

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Did those colossal titans responsible for the rumbling turn back into humans as well? Wish we got to see their expressions as they're just chilling butt naked in the middle of nowhere wondering what the fuck happened

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
True, but it looked like the titans were going for humans in shiganshina anyway no? also bertholdt is way too powerful to be threatened by one measly Titan like Dina, I can't picture a scenario at all where he lets himself get killed by her

Marcel was killed by a measly Titan.

Also this was a Bert who had just exited the Colossal Titan state. He was likely too tired to transform him again that soon. [/spoiler

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
okay so I was re-reading chapter 137 and something stupid but also maybe important caught my eye...

Zeke is talking to Armin in the PATHS about Ymir's first transformation. He states that after she gave birth to an undying body, "then she escaped to a world that was free.. of even death." I take it this what made Eren feel free, yet also a slave... Furthermore, Zeke does not say that she MADE this world merely that she ESCAPED to it. Could Eren still be stuck in PATHS and could they still be around even AFTER the end of the titans?

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
okay so I was re-reading chapter 137 and something stupid but also maybe important caught my eye...

Zeke is talking to Armin in the PATHS about Ymir's first transformation. He states that after she gave birth to an undying body, "then she escaped to a world that was free.. of even death." I take it this what made Eren feel free, yet also a slave... Furthermore, Zeke does not say that she MADE this world merely that she ESCAPED to it. Could Eren still be stuck in PATHS and could they still be around even AFTER the end of the titans?
In the new chapter we see the spirits of Sasha and the older Scout crew fading away and the living Eldians can actually see them disappearing. I think this implies that the paths realm is gone, along with the titans.