jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
The woman in this series got done dirty
Agreed
i honestly think it's a little suspect that
the three most important women in the series between Mikasa Ymir and historia all end up with or love men who mistreated and abused them at some point or throughout their lives

also, historia gets relegated into barely being part of the story just so he can use her as a red herring

Last edited:

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
Yeah
The movie apparently nailed being the anti End of Evangelion with a strong focus on therapeutic experiences and support from loved ones that help bring Shinji out of his depression and finally take a step for himself. Instead of him simply falling into the dark abyss like in EOE

It also gave a big FAT glorious middle finger to Asuka/Rei/Kaworu x Shinji shippers by pretty much having Shinji say out loud how much toxic those relationships are and have Shinji run off with the most random possible choice. And man THEY MAD.

Word of mouth is very positive.

If last year you asked me which one was more likely to fall flat on it's ass while the other nailed the ending ...SNK would NOT have been my choice lmao
You know, reading this. I'm happy for Shinji lol. I guess I'll have to watch the movies now since I've only ever seen the anime and the first movie that came out soon after. Hopefully they're still on netflix and hopefully the new one streams somewhere legal soon. I'm down for this ride.

I'll be there when Shingeki no Kyojin:You are (Not) Monke arrives.
You know, it would be ballsy and cool if Isayama did the ending with this in mind but we know deep down it's not :'(

Oct 28, 2017
Aight, girl can't confess her feelings to me and calls me family so I'm going to nuke the world. Seriously where the fuck did these feelings come from. The Eren is "Forgiven" crap is awful as well. Also Eldia is fascist (again), wonderful.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Agreed
the three most important women in the series between Mikasa Ymir and historia all end up with or love men who mistreated and abused them at some point or throughout their lives

also, historia gets relegated into barely being part of the story just so he can use her as a red herring
Seriously did not expect this after the series has been so unusually good about generally treating the women well in other respects

Then you look at this and it's like eugh

Oct 26, 2017
Still not over why the series decided to be about gender in the finale... Doesn't really make any sense as Attack on Titan's gender politics have been completely nonexistent.

Beyond that, Attack on Titan has the pretty common struggle of... not really understanding how many people there are?

Eren's plan hinges on 20% of the world population not being able to slaughter one million people but... There were two billion people on Earth by 1927... 20% of two billion is 400 million and they will absolutely kill everyone on the island.

This ending has basically no grounding whatsoever to anything in reality while not having done the prior work to make these breaks from reality seem plausible. Almost everyone outside the Island was depicted as a comically racist Nazi... I am incredibly doubtful they care about Armin stopping Eren after Eren killed 1.6 billion to 2 billion people.

Ymir falling in love with the man who raped her and enslaved her and had her children eat her is just gross. "Stockholm Syndrome" as a trope doesn't go far enough to justify this without chapters and chapters and chapters of story. Ymir, Eren, and Mikasa go down as somehow significantly worse characters than Sasuke and Sakura, immediately three of the worst characters of any popular manga ever.

Mikasa pining after Eren/Hitler as the last few panels is just... It's so much worse than any parody of Sakura could ever come off as. She's worse than Padme... Worse than pretty much any heroine I can think of.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I honestly think I might have preferred the kooky time loop theory compared to this Code Geass ending.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
The woman in this series got done dirty
Seriously did not expect this after the series has been so unusually good about generally treating the women well in other respects

Then you look at this and it's like eugh

Gabi is the best female character in this story and now no one can argue otherwise.

She gets a clear and decent arc, she's useful and her ending isn't
her becoming a fascist(Historia), getting offscreen'd(Ymir), simping for a shitbag man (Mikasa) or being killed (Sasha). Gabi gets to live out her days with her husbando, Falco, and Papa Levi.

Stunner911

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Wakanda
Gabi is the best female character in this story and now no one can argue otherwise.

her becoming a fascist(Historia), getting offscreen'd(Ymir), simping for a shitbag man (Mikasa) or being killed (Sasha).
I'm glad my girl Gabi got a good ending

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Still not over why the series decided to be about gender in the finale... Doesn't really make any sense as Attack on Titan's gender politics have been completely nonexistent.

Beyond that, Attack on Titan has the pretty common struggle of... not really understanding how many people there are?

Eren's plan hinges on 20% of the world population not being able to slaughter one million people but... There were two billion people on Earth by 1927... 20% of two billion is 400 million and they will absolutely kill everyone on the island.

This ending has basically no grounding whatsoever to anything in reality while not having done the prior work to make these breaks from reality seem plausible. Almost everyone outside the Island was depicted as a comically racist Nazi... I am incredibly doubtful they care about Armin stopping Eren after Eren killed 1.6 billion to 2 billion people.

Ymir falling in love with the man who raped her and enslaved her and had her children eat her is just gross. "Stockholm Syndrome" as a trope doesn't go far enough to justify this without chapters and chapters and chapters of story. Ymir, Eren, and Mikasa go down as somehow significantly worse characters than Sasuke and Sakura, immediately three of the worst characters of any popular manga ever.

Mikasa pining after Eren/Hitler as the last few panels is just... It's so much worse than any parody of Sakura could ever come off as. She's worse than Padme... Worse than pretty much any heroine I can think of.
So keep in mind that the rest of the world is recovering. Ecosystems and natural resources outside of Paradis have basically been flattened to kingdom come so even with their population they're probably still struggling real hard just because they don't have the means to fight back anymore. It's why I feel this peace treaty rings a bit hollow because the rest of the world doesn't really have a choice. Either they get peace or they're gonna get creamed. It's basically a win for genocide if only because this only ends with Paradis on top of the world

Or I could just be completely wrong

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017

her becoming a fascist(Historia), getting offscreen'd(Ymir), simping for a shitbag man (Mikasa) or being killed (Sasha). Gabi gets to live out her days with her husbando, Falco, and Papa Levi.
True, Gabi did end up being surprisingly awesome. She's definitely the best female character now.

Oct 26, 2017
So keep in mind that the rest of the world is recovering. Ecosystems and natural resources outside of Paradis have basically been flattened to kingdom come so even with their population they're probably still struggling real hard just because they don't have the means to fight back anymore. It's why I feel this peace treaty rings a bit hollow because the rest of the world doesn't really have a choice. Either they get peace or they're gonna get creamed. It's basically a win for genocide if only because this only ends with Paradis on top of the world

Or I could just be completely wrong

While the devastation of the environment is obviously horrible for everything in the world, the numbers are still so overwhelming that I'm doubtful any of the people on the Island survive in any reasonable scenario. 15 million people with guns kill everyone there and I'm certain you could find 15 million people who want to kill the people they believed caused the apocalypse.

meataem

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 29, 2019
Gabi lived until the end, belly-to-belly suplexed the shit out of her husbando, and adopted Levi.

That's an 11/10 ending in my book.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
While the devastation of the environment is obviously horrible for everything in the world, the numbers are still so overwhelming that I'm doubtful any of the people on the Island survive in any reasonable scenario. 15 million people with guns kill everyone there and I'm certain you could find 15 million people who want to kill the people they believed caused the apocalypse.

Logistics say they'd be
continents away though. The Marleyan continent is now almost completely empty. They'd only have enough people to fill up a city or two plus their cities are all destroyed anyway.

The world would inevitably win but Paradis can still cause a lot more damage and it'll probably be a generation or two before society is fine enough to start wars again.

Oct 26, 2017
Logistics say they'd be
continents away though. The Marleyan continent is now almost completely empty. They'd only have enough people to fill up a city or two plus their cities are all destroyed anyway.

The world would inevitably win but Paradis can still cause a lot more damage and it'll probably be a generation or two before society is fine enough to start wars again.

I mean, depending on the level of environmental devastation, Eren might have just killed 99.9% of humanity instead of 80% because everyone will instantly start starving to death and immediately start encountering horrible diseases.

The environmental devastating in general here is... confusing. Marley still looks like a normal city in the early mid 1900s... Which is not how things should be going if Eren destroyed the environment as he claimed. Basically all commonly used natural resources should be gone and everything in chaos... Just a bizarre apocalypse.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly my biggest issue with this chapter is that we're long past the point where we should be trying to paint Eren in a positive light like this.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I liked it, but I could understand why people have issues with it.
Also the chapter confirmed that Eren was both locked into his fate and he also wanted it, which makes sense and is interesting enough in a chicken or the egg sort of way.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it, thoughts and comments

honestly, it was fine. Good even. Nothing mind blowing, but it wasn't some 180 GOT shit people in here were hyperbolizing it to be. My biggest issues were mainly:
- Armin than king Eren for becoming a mass murderer. Just an odd way to word that
- Historia got sidelined HARD. She doesn't even speak iirc? Maybe she was always meant to be bc the only arc she was important in was her arc but yeah.
- it simply could've been more detailed. Like I didn't get the part at all where Eren brought up bertholdt, and would've liked to see more of his convos with the other characters.

Overall it was good though. A triumph for the characters, but not a Golden route by any means. The way they got this glimmer of hope is crushing, and there is hints at conflict still to come. It's a nice ending, but not too nice to where it seems uncharacteristic of the show

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Logistics say they'd be

yeah numbers don't mean than much when you're across the ocean with a completely crushed economy and no resources and supplies cause Eren trampled everything. And we saw the Hiruzu are still allies so with Paradis renewed Jaegarist militarist spirit they are gonna go full bore in building up a war machine.

The rest of world is gonna be struggling with famine and disease for a while before they can even think about powering a war engine strong enough to cross the world and take down Paradis.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Agreed
Finished it, thoughts and comments

honestly, it was fine. Good even. Nothing mind blowing, but it wasn't some 180 GOT shit people in here were hyperbolizing it to be. My biggest issues were mainly:
- Armin than king Eren for becoming a mass murderer. Just an odd way to word that
- Historia got sidelined HARD. She doesn't even speak iirc? Maybe she was always meant to be bc the only arc she was important in was her arc but yeah.
- it simply could've been more detailed. Like I didn't get the part at all where Eren brought up bertholdt, and would've liked to see more of his convos with the other characters.

Overall it was good though. A triumph for the characters, but not a Golden route by any means. The way they got this glimmer of hope is crushing, and there is hints at conflict still to come. It's a nice ending, but not too nice to where it seems uncharacteristic of the show

agree

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Agreed

Reject Mikasa/Historia/Ymir, Return to Gabi

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017

this song just fits so well for this chapter damn.

After reading this typeset, im a bit satisfied, some translations can be fixed but damn what a ride.

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
I'd be more on board with the ending if not for the thanking Eren being phrased the way it was, and if not for Eren/Mikasa having been such a one-sided thing near the entire manga. Like I'm used to these kinds of shonen sidelining romance, but not to making the romance super central in the end

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My take on this is that while Eren did want the world wiped clean, he was also unable to choose either way but rather endure both killing innocents(wanting a fresh start for the world and not wanting children dead are technically two very different things, but you obviously can't do one without the other) and accepting his own death, both in the sense that the events would end with his friends murdering him, and that he didn't deserve to go on after causing a near mass extinction event. Armin thanking him was probably just a way for him to make Eren feel like his own forced suffering was worth something. Let's be clear, none of these characters are saints at this point, and rolling out of the Rumbling and into ambassador roles(with the exception of Mikasa who becomes a recluse) due to their roles in the Rumbling means they are bearing some of the weight of Eren's actions. I think on some level they realize that and their praise of Eren relates more to the person they used to know who was basically forced by the Titans to become Satan, and doing so with their survival as the goal and end result. It's awkward, but it's an awkward ending both in and out of context.

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
My take on this is that while Eren did want the world wiped clean, he was also unable to choose either way but rather endure both killing innocents(wanting a fresh start for the world and not wanting children dead are technically two very different things, but you obviously can't do one without the other) and accepting his own death, both in the sense that the events would end with his friends murdering him, and that he didn't deserve to go on after causing a near mass extinction event. Armin thanking him was probably just a way for him to make Eren feel like his own forced suffering was worth something. Let's be clear, none of these characters are saints at this point, and rolling out of the Rumbling and into ambassador roles(with the exception of Mikasa who becomes a recluse) due to their roles in the Rumbling means they are bearing some of the weight of Eren's actions. I think on some level they realize that and their praise of Eren relates more to the person they used to know who was basically forced by the Titans to become Satan, and doing so with their survival as the goal and end result. It's awkward, but it's an awkward ending both in and out of context.
I can agree with some of this but it was still super awkward in the way it was presented. But like,

Mikasa at the end talking to Eren's grave, I don't think it's supposed to be a touching moment. Mikasa is obviously not well. I don't think we're supposed to look at that and say "aw she got a happy ending." Poor girl's psyche is probably toast.

I wish there was another chapter to expand on some of this stuff but Isayama was clearly set on finishing at 139.

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
I really can't believe what I was reading with the last chapter. Armin thanking Eren for being a mass murderer for him. The other alliance friends also thanking Eren.

Eren not knowing why he did the Rumbling with the motivation now apparently being incel rage over Mikasa. That dream he sent shows he wouldn't have gone through with it if she would have been his gf and we now know he did put that in her head.

What the hell happened with Isayama? The manga Game of Thrones. Deserves all the derision it gets.

Oct 25, 2017
Yo what the fuck am I reading.
What the fuck at this conversation about Eren being mad if Mikasas ever loved someone else.
What the fuck is this fucking shit? Damn this better be a mistranslation.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Yo what the fuck am I reading.
What the fuck at this conversation about Eren being mad if Mikasas ever loved someone else.
What the fuck is this fucking shit?

Deep down,
Eren is an insecure, greedy and immature brat. An actual man-child.

I really can't believe what I was reading with the last chapter. Armin thanking Eren for being a mass murderer for him. The other alliance friends also thanking Eren.

Eren not knowing why he did the Rumbling with the motivation now apparently being incel rage over Mikasa. That dream he sent shows he wouldn't have gone through with it if she would have been his gf and we now know he did put that in her head.

What the hell happened with Isayama? The manga Game of Thrones. Deserves all the derision it gets.

He didn't do it out of incel rage though. It was predetermined but he also would have to done it just to wipe the world clear because that's just the way he was born. And I guess he wanted to make his friends look like the heroes to the world so they'd be safe.[/spoiler

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto
Pretty underwhelming final chapter. Incel Eren is hilarious though. After never expressing interest in Mikasa, now he wants to lock down her sex life lmao.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mikasa at the end talking to Eren's grave, I don't think it's supposed to be a touching moment. Mikasa is obviously not well. I don't think we're supposed to look at that and say "aw she got a happy ending." Poor girl's psyche is probably toast.
I totally agree, I don't exactly know what Isayama's intent was with Mikasa, but she is clearly completely fucked up at this point. It does seem like every moment for Mikasa after Eren went rogue was probably the worst possible outcome that could exacerbate her already deep complexes towards Eren, herself, and their relationship. I almost feel like Eren's goofy "d'oh, I love Mikasa too!" in the Armin/Eren chat sequence is Isayama trying to save face for giving that character(Mikasa) such a horrible arc.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Done. Some thoughts:

- Ymir just poofs out of existence and Eren is like "Mikasa saved Ymir. Or something. I dunno, you'd have to ask her" is such a cop out, especially since Mikasa had nothing to do with Ymir's initial heel turn against Zeke. I suppose the main idea that Isayama was going for is Mikasa being willing to rebel against a "loved one" for the greater good is inspiring to Ymir when she was unable to do so herself, but it's so awkwardly executed and feels like the character has no real conclusion at all.

- Speaking of poofing out of existence and no real conclusion, the worm is gone. It's not dead, or disintegrated, or even mentioned. It's like Isayama just straight up forgot about it.

- Eren redirecting Dina to kill his mother was pointless. 100% pointless. I have no idea why it was even mentioned, other than shock factor.

- Eren's sudden desperate need for Mikasa's love makes no sense. He didn't display an ounce of romantic interest in her in the entire series until that very moment.

- What was with Grisha's "You are free" moment with baby Eren? It doesn't even make sense in context. For starters, Eren's literally never been free in his entire life. That's basically his whole character. It's like Isayama changed the ending but knew he had to shove that panel in there somewhere after revealing it before, but he didn't bother to make it fit at all.

- By all rights, despite killing billions, Eren didn't really seem to accomplish much? He ended the curse of the titans and maybe staved off war for a handful of years at most, but that also leaves Eldians and Paradis without their biggest weapon against the hatred from the rest of the world, which has gotten even worse since the failed rumbling. If his end goal truly was protecting his friends and his home, the partial rumbling of Marley still seems like it would have been the better option. And, you know, wouldn't have killed billions of innocent people.

- Mikasa has apparently been sitting under a tree for 3 years crying over Eren instead of moving on? Great, Eren got his wish.

red13th

Oct 25, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Falco is best character so I'm glad he ended up well with Gabi (who REALLY grew on me, damn!). However... what a trashy ending. I think the bad translation contributed to the overall terrible experience but I couldn't resist. lol

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Pretty underwhelming final chapter. Incel Eren is hilarious though. After never expressing interest in Mikasa, now he wants to lock down her sex life lmao.

Motherfucker really is a fucking school shooter. I thought Eren drew that AU for laughs but there was too much truth to it.

I can't wait for Jean and Mikasa to
have the roughest, most vigorous outdoors sex imaginable for 3 days straight so Eren can see and screech "YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO WAIT AT LEAST 10 YEARS!! CACAW!!! TATAKAE!!!! CACAW!!!! TATAKAE!!!!

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Done. Some thoughts:

- Ymir just poofs out of existence and Eren is like "Mikasa saved Ymir. Or something. I dunno, you'd have to ask her" is such a cop out, especially since Mikasa had nothing to do with Ymir's initial heel turn against Zeke. I suppose the main idea that Isayama was going for is Mikasa being willing to rebel against a "loved one" for the greater good is inspiring to Ymir when she was unable to do so herself, but it's so awkwardly executed and feels like the character has no real conclusion at all.

- Speaking of poofing out of existence and no real conclusion, the worm is gone. It's not dead, or disintegrated, or even mentioned. It's like Isayama just straight up forgot about it.

- Eren redirecting Dina to kill his mother was pointless. 100% pointless. I have no idea why it was even mentioned, other than shock factor.

- Eren's sudden desperate need for Mikasa's love makes no sense. He didn't display an ounce of romantic interest in her in the entire series until that very moment.

- What was with Grisha's "You are free" moment with baby Eren? It doesn't even make sense in context. For starters, Eren's literally never been free in his entire life. That's basically his whole character. It's like Isayama changed the ending but knew he had to shove that panel in there somewhere after revealing it before, but he didn't bother to make it fit at all.

- By all rights, despite killing billions, Eren didn't really seem to accomplish much? He ended the curse of the titans and maybe staved off war for a handful of years at most, but that also leaves Eldians and Paradis without their biggest weapon against the hatred from the rest of the world, which has gotten even worse since the failed rumbling. If his end goal truly was protecting his friends and his home, the partial rumbling of Marley still seems like it would have been the better option. And, you know, wouldn't have killed billions of innocent people.

- Mikasa has apparently been sitting under a tree for 3 years crying over Eren instead of moving on? Great, Eren got his wish.

To be fair,
I would say that Eren asking Mikasa what he is to her? is him expressing romantic interest. Grisha's you are free is connected to what Eren said back in season 1 where he says that everyone is free when they are born.

Sooo...
Is Levi dead?

Why would you think that?

We see Levi in a wheelchair being pushed around by 15 year old Falco and Gabi. I guess he lives with them now or maybe he opened his tea shop and they work for him.

See:

EyazaP-VgAESbnx

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
man the amount of people excusing bad writing for fandom wars is insane

Oh well, not like the popularity of this series is gonna hold for much longer anyways. Good riddance is all I can say; the discussion surrounding what works and what doesn't was honestly exhausting. Glad the series ended on a fucked up enough conclusion thematically and politically that no one will touch it with a ten foot pole once word gets out, if the ending has to go out on a note like this.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
That translation assuaged some of my problems (apparently Historia wasn't a super gung-ho Jaegerist, but she still assisted him with her pregnancy anyway? I dunno, Historia needed more screentime) but man that one line from Armin is really bad and I hope that's just a weird translation. Looking forward to the official release.

Also lol of course that line from Armin at the end about "we can still talk it out" was fake, glad I wasn't following that shitty twitter translation thread

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
I really would have preferred some AU theory or something. It was really hard to wrap everything up in one final chapter - but I think Isayama thought it was like this super clever "end of the prestige" reveal.

When did Eren "tell" everyone his true intentions then erase their memories? I'm still confused on this part.

I like that the world is still at war and his actions didn't really save everything - but for him to say "I don't know why I did it"? The fuck? I wanted him to have some conviction. Also him killing his mom was super unneeded. Made no sense to me.