• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Y'all gonna be honest I think this event here is gonna make Falco change significantly. Like Reiner is probably gonna show up to give his powers to him and Falco just goes nuts with it. I think the plot is gonna turn him down a dark path while Gabi begins to walk a brighter path

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Big "Reiner and Bert reveal their identities"-energy there lol. Now do Armin and Mikasa have high enough Charisma stats to convince Eren not to go apeshit is the question here 🤔 cause I'm leaning heavy towards no
I don't think so, neither Eren nor them are convincing each other, and I feel it's better this way, shit's gonna be tragic.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
There are still people stanning for Floch, but aside from the fact he's a terrible person I feel like the only thing we know about him is he is wishy washy and obsessed with authority. At least with Gabi I can say I like the characterization, but aside from Floch shouting "Eren is right about everything" I don't know what there is to like about him.

On the whole the tension in this episode was incredible. So much anxiety about Falco/Gabi being found out, them being too open with Nicolo, Falco being attacked, maybe having some of Zeke's spinal fluid, Kaya attacking Gabi, Eren just showing up to say "yo". My heart is still racing lol.

Kaya attacking Gabi was very interesting. People were very upset at Gabi attacking her, but I imagine we're not going to see the same level of upset leveled at Kaya lol.

Every time this take comes up I'm positive it's paranoia. I've been a big Gabi fan from the first episode, it's nothing to do with spoilers, just people enjoying things differently than you. Manga readers have suggested though that the same dynamic happened with the manga being released, and it makes sense that it's just people on opposing reads of the story and characters.
I mean, obviously? Gabi attacked Kaya out of bigotry, Kaya attacked Gabi because she knew that Gabi PERSONALLY killed a person she cared about. How is that not completely different lol

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
Weird episode. The emotional moments completely felt flat as Sasha WAS mostly comic relief (despite me loving her).

I don't give a shit about Nicolo....Gabi still sucks.

Falco still a cutie.

Javier

Oct 27, 2017
Chile
Excuse me, BEST BOY COMING THROUGH

CaoMctb.jpg

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
I do wonder...

How much spinal fluid can you really extract from one body? Cause I'd assume that's a lot of fucking fluid from Zeke. And does Eren really know what's going on with the wine? Maaaaaaaaaan I feel next episode is gonna be a banger.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
When he says "he wants to talk", I don't think any convincing is happening here and its all about him probably trying to get zekes location out of them with sympathy points they have for him lol
Yeah but there's zero chance Armin and Mikasa give that up. I also don't think Eren is gonna harm his two closest friends over this (I would like to believe he wouldn't)

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Yeah but there's zero chance Armin and Mikasa give that up. I also don't think Eren is gonna harm his two closest friends over this (I would like to believe he wouldn't)
I would also like to believe so but damn eren seems like he's in a real bad place rn
The man walked in with his hand cut too like "Try it if you want to". Also Gabi is right there with the man she despises so much. Man next episode is gonna be goo.
Gabi being in the room of someone she hates after kiya or whatever the blonde girl is called was in a room with gabi is *chefs kiss*. Her reaction will say a lot LOL

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
I like to think Eren is just always walking around with a cut hand so he can get whatever he wants.

"Eren, we're gonna order a sausage pizza"

D-43mtMX4AA3bS0.jpg

"Ok Pepperoni it is"

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
It's gonna be funny because Gabi is gonna be in the room when they're talking I presume.

cant imagine what she'll feel or how it'll affect her
At least she looks like she's finally understanding there's nuance to everything and that not everyone acts in absolutes like she does. She's confused as fuck right now.

Also, I do hope Falco doesn't get dragged down to a wrong path because of all this, now that Eren is out of the picture as someone I can root for (after doubting him for a good while), I'd like to root for Falco, but I need to be sure he's worth rooting for.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Weird episode. The emotional moments completely felt flat as Sasha WAS mostly comic relief (despite me loving her).

I don't give a shit about Nicolo....Gabi still sucks.

Falco still a cutie.

Personally, I don't think it matters how deep Sasha as a character is.

It's more about the consequences that Sasha's death has to the people that loved her and the drama surrounding that to deliver on a theme.

Sasha's boyfriend, Sasha's parents, Sasha's sister and Sasha's killer all in the same room. And they all react differently. It's juicy stuff.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
Personally, I don't think it matters how deep Sasha as a character is.

It's more about the consequences that Sasha's death has to the people that loved her and the drama surrounding that to deliver on a theme.

Sasha's boyfriend, Sasha's parents, Sasha's sister and Sasha's killer all in the same room. And they all react differently. It's juicy stuff.

Which is another problem to me, the entire situation felt way too convenient and, as a result, melodramatic.

"She loved my food". I just had to laugh as Nicolo said that line while crying.

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
I do wonder...
How much spinal fluid can you really extract from one body? Cause I'd assume that's a lot of fucking fluid from Zeke.
(not sure the spoiler tags are really necessary, but I'll follow suit)
I mean, shifters can regenerate limbs, so...
I do wonder how much time it must have taken though! Zeke clearly is a patient man.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick"
Jun 17, 2018
I mean, obviously? Gabi attacked Kaya out of bigotry, Kaya attacked Gabi because she knew that Gabi PERSONALLY killed a person she cared about. How is that not completely different lol
They're really quite complicated situations but if you boil them down to those elements of course it's easy to say one is justified while the other is not. I would say you could reduce it further though and saying "attacking someone who is not an active threat to you is unjustified". Beyond knowing they both did something wrong I would look at the underlying reasons for why they chose that action and the circumstances surrounding it.

To which I would say Gabi is a captured 12 year old prisoner of war, who is in the middle of an escape for what she sees as her own freedom. She isn't killing Eldians as a means of penance against the race in those exact circumstances (even if her intent is to do so through militant means later), her bigotry wasn't defining her actions as much as her fear was. Her volatile and violent nature made her strike out, her bigotry wasn't the force behind it.

Kaya though is not in any danger, nor can she mistake her circumstances for danger. The person she is attacking is confined and trapped by numbers, with no immediate threat to her. She might be "personally" associated with the death of Sasha, but Nicolo, her father and mother have already deescalated the situation and made it clear there's no threat or wish for harm. Kaya, who isn't shown to be volatile or violent, nonetheless makes a dash to kill Gabi not to save Sasha, but satisfy her own desire to have Gabi's life ended for essentially belonging to a military.

So I agree their situations were completely different, but it's a completely different take than yours. In the end they were both saved by outside forces, they each need someone else to be a moral compass directing them to what is right. But they were each just as guilty if not for the help of their friends.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Which is another problem to me, the entire situation felt way too convenient and, as a result, melodramatic.

"She loved my food". I just had to laugh as Nicolo said that line while crying.

I agree that it is melodramatic and convenient but that's just AOT since season 1 though. You should've already learned to roll with that type of convenience for the sake of a good story. And the type of melodrama too.

Remember how Grisha's first wife ate his second wife. Or how that same Titan that killed Eren's mom also killed Hannes in front of Eren and also Eren punching that specific Titan is what allowed to him use the Coordinate briefly.

Or think think about Eren's class included 5 Titan Shifters, an Ackerman and the heir to the throne of Paradis.

-shrugs-

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This episode was really well done. A few times this season I feel like Mappa has outdone WIT with the more drama-focused stuff.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
They're really quite complicated situations but if you boil them down to those elements of course it's easy to say one is justified while the other is not. I would say you could reduce it further though and saying "attacking someone who is not an active threat to you is unjustified". Beyond knowing they both did something wrong I would look at the underlying reasons for why they chose that action and the circumstances surrounding it.

To which I would say Gabi is a captured 12 year old prisoner of war, who is in the middle of an escape for what she sees as her own freedom. She isn't killing Eldians as a means of penance against the race in those exact circumstances (even if her intent is to do so through militant means later), her bigotry wasn't defining her actions as much as her fear was. Her volatile and violent nature made her strike out, her bigotry wasn't the force behind it.

Kaya though is not in any danger, nor can she mistake her circumstances for danger. The person she is attacking is confined and trapped by numbers, with no immediate threat to her. She might be "personally" associated with the death of Sasha, but Nicolo, her father and mother have already deescalated the situation and made it clear there's no threat or wish for harm. Kaya, who isn't shown to be volatile or violent, nonetheless makes a dash to kill Gabi not to save Sasha, but satisfy her own desire to have Gabi's life ended for essentially belonging to a military.

So I agree their situations were completely different, but it's a completely different take than yours. In the end they were both saved by outside forces, they each need someone else to be a moral compass directing them to what is right. But they were each just as guilty if not for the help of their friends.
Your original post was some thin whataboutism. People could think both are wrong for trying to kill in that moment, but the reason people responded harshly to Gabi was because she tried to kill a girl out of ignorant racism who had done nothing but be kind to her even in the face of her simmering hostility. Kaya says she overheard their conversation at the river and knew they things that Gabi was saying, but she saw they were lost and still tried to help them.

The whole defense that Kaya wasn't in immediate danger but trying to make it sound like Gabi was is absurd. Gabi was not under any immediate threat in the moment she chose to attempt to attack Kaya, but immediately after Gabi tries to assassinate her, just to drive the point home further, she covers for Gabi and Falco that they were just horsing around.

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
Remember how Grisha's first wife ate his second wife. Or how that same Titan that killed Eren's mom also killed Hannes in front of Eren and also Eren punching that specific Titan is what allowed to him use the Coordinate briefly.
While I agree that there are some very convenient coincidences here and there, I think the Dina stuff works.
She said she would find Grisha. I don't think it's a coincidence she zeroed in on Grisha's house (even completely ignoring Bertolt on the way), and then on Grisha's son five years later.

think about Eren's class included 5 Titan Shifters, an Ackerman and the heir to the throne of Paradis.
Yep, can't say much about those!

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick"
Jun 17, 2018
Your original post was some thin whataboutism. People could think both are wrong for trying to kill in that moment, but the reason people responded harshly to Gabi was because she tried to kill a girl out of ignorant racism who had done nothing but be kind to her even in the face of her simmering hostility. Kaya says she overheard their conversation at the river and knew they things that Gabi was saying, but she saw they were lost and still tried to help them.

The whole defense that Kaya wasn't in immediate danger but trying to make it sound like Gabi was is absurd. Gabi was not under any immediate threat in the moment she chose to attempt to attack Kaya, but immediately after Gabi tries to assassinate her, just to drive the point home further, she covers for Gabi and Falco that they were just horsing around.
My post wasn't whataboutism, it was suggesting two similar situations episodes apart are likely to be received differently because a large portion of the fandom is enthusiastically hateful of one of the characters.

I fundamentally disagree with the point you make after that, because I don't see Gabi trying to kill Kaya out of racism. She was racist before Kaya revealed she knew they were Mareleyan-Eldians but had not tried to kill her. She only tried to kill Kaya after her secret was revealed. There's nothing absurd about looking at Gabi's situation, where you spend a whole episode watching her crack under anxiety fear and hatred, wide-eyed and clearly under pressure, and understanding that she understood Kaya knowing who she was implied a danger to her.

If she were killing out of racism, she would've killed everyone in the house. She was afraid and trying to survive. Hey violent nature, much like Eren's, leads her to action before resorting to thinking about things.

Kimaris

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Floch and the Jaegerists are the only ones who seem to recognize the direness of the situation. The Paradis government has done fuck all to prepare for the world's attack on the island. Eren has put Paradis in a better position to succeed than anything done under Zachary's leadership.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Floch is channeling his inner Nazi with his manners and haircut.

Also, Eren is DEAD on the inside.

Floch and the Jaegerists are the only ones who seem to recognize the direness of the situation. The Paradis government has done fuck all to prepare for the world's attack on the island. Eren has put Paradis in a better position to succeed than anything done under Zachary's leadership.

I see we have found Flochs ERA account.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
That Floch scene was beautifully executed. It is one of the things they really had to nail.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mikasa probably won't. Armin might out of necessity, but he already stated his opinion. This is just insurance, especially with Gabi with them.
...you know, it is funny that we keep forgetting that there is a nuclear bomb in that house right now.

Historians really are right about us living in the shadow of total annihilation.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick"
Jun 17, 2018
I'm not sure this is true? It kind of sounds like it could be, but the government was making preparations with Eren, Zeke, their prisoners, and a foreign nation. They were just literally betrayed by the biggest players. We might be lacking enough information for a definitive take on this, and I'm inclined to think it sounds right because the Paradis government has been notoriously filled with useless shitheads, but it sounds like you're just agreeing with Floch because he said it, not because he supported it.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
so they would have tried to kill him. if he wasn't already cut
I mean death isn't the only thing Eren has to worry about. Dudes not a super hero. In the spilt second it takes Eren to bite his thumb/slice his hand he could be knocked out, captured and fed to another titan while he's out. Being ready to turn at a moments notice is his best bet in hostile situations.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder...

How much spinal fluid can you really extract from one body? Cause I'd assume that's a lot of fucking fluid from Zeke. And does Eren really know what's going on with the wine? Maaaaaaaaaan I feel next episode is gonna be a banger.
Well, I'm not a biologist, but I would assume all of our bodies produce more spinal fluid when we need it, to reach equlibrium. Same as how our bodies produce more blood. So all you need to do is extract it over a long enough period of time. A shifter especially would produce it faster, you would imagine.