• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Surely police should be willing to be tased in the line of duty if they're willing to use it on citizens? Surely police work in duos so that if someone is tased/shot/incapacitated there is another person to fight back? Surely police should be required to be physically fit enough that if a drunk person flees an arrest they can chase them down without resorting to shooting them in the back?

If I put myself in the shoes of a cop and the guy I'm trying to arrest breaks free, grabs my taser and runs I would back off and call in backup. The thought that I would shoot that person RUNNING AWAY and who is no longer even aiming a taser at me is absolutely absurd.

ieandrew

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People praise and thank cops for putting their lives on the line when they are cowards that immediately use their last resort at the least sign of danger.

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
Here is footage from the Wendy's

At 1:12 You can see the cop already pulling his gun before Rayshard turns to point the taser. He was going to shoot him for shooting his buddy with the taser.
He missed the cop and the cop kills him after as he is fleeing. Unnecessary force and he is responsible for Rayshard's death.
I'm sure the cop was thinking "Yeah I can shoot him now as he fired at me with a taser".

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
People shouldn't be getting shot during a routine encounter like this. How do police everywhere else in the world deal with situations like this without shooting people? How do the ambulance deal with intoxicated and violent people without shooting them? How do emergency departments deal with intoxicated/violent people without shooting them?

The onus is on the police to de-escalate and avoid the use of force especially lethal force. Right through this video you could see the cops being antagonistic and drawing the situation out much longer than was necessary (and also being extremely incompetent at restraining someone).

There needs to be much greater scrutiny when someone gets killed.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
User Banned (2 weeks): Concern trolling in a sensitive thread
So this guy reached for the officer's tazer, which is not a lethal weapon, and the response is to use deadly force? WTF

It can easily become one when you get tased while wearing a gun and a criminal takes said gun away. He aimed it at the officer, he had back up so he def shouldn't have shot him though. He was in the wrong here, but if he was alone, idk man. I definitely would not want to be an officer, that's for sure.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
Just a reminder that Rayshard Brooks died. Not because the cop's lives were ever in danger, but because they've been given too much power with little repercussions.

Not to mention firing a gun with other civilians so close in the drive-thru line. Total and complete incompetence.

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
It can easily become one when you get tased while wearing a gun and a criminal takes said gun away. He aimed it at the officer, he had back up so he def shouldn't have shot him though. He was in the wrong here, but if he was alone, idk man. I definitely would not want to be an officer, that's for sure.
But there were 2 officers as you say. Plus, he was shot in the back while running away. You can't justify that.

RyuCookingSomeRice

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020
Just came across this today. Absolutely disgusting. Sleeping in a drivethrough lane is enough to get you killed.

Even if he did grab the tazer, its no reason to shoot him in his back. Revolting. More riots pls.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah there's no excuse for shooting someone while they're running away like that. I think he made a lot of poor decisions that didn't help but the punishment for them shouldn't be death.

Yeah.

They need to know how to handle a situation like this without ending in a loss of life.

Or rather, as with the abolition argument: they should not be the first ones called for drunk people sleeping in parking lots. Perhaps if someone gets particularly disorderly.

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
Hope their erection on being able to be judge dredd for someone drunk and sleeping in parking lot was worth it.

Sad what happened again, being fearful for your life as a black person doesn't count but white people can be fearful for their life and get away with killing all the time.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Just had a huge argument in my office where 2 people were arguing that the cop had every right to shoot him because he took the tazer which means he could have been a threat to other people. My position that shooting someone in the back is never justified unless they are about to use deadly force on someone. The argument was that he could have been a threat. Turned into a screaming match with no resolution.

The bonus round was when I said he wouldn't have shot him if he was white and they said it would have been the same result regardless if he was black or white. I checked out at that point.

Lastdancer

Nov 1, 2017

This. They shot him because they didn't want to run a couple of blocks.

It really is this simple. I am utterly disgusted. Also I apologize for using the word "Incarcerate" in my previous post; it was not the right word, I was angry and venting and it came into my head instead of "arrest".

I do think that Rayshard was frightened about his future during his encounter due to not only the long history of police racism but obviously due to recent events. Even if it was just an arrest to give him a citation or whatever what is clear is once you're in cuffs your life is in the hands of those authorities and you've GOT to understand why he would not want to be in that situation in the first place by now.

Now add in the fact that his mental state was seriously impaired alongside this fright.

To work as a police officer today, literally anytime in the history of the US but *ESPECIALLY* after the most recent events starting with George Floyd, and still not recognize that any situation involving using your cuffs going forward must be dealt with extreme caution and enhanced deduction, and not come to the conclusion that the punishment or fine or whatever can come later after you've protected and served the clearly impaired person to the safety of their home, is absolutely FUCKED.

But no, instead we have yet another needless loss of life from the department that's supposed to keep the peace and maintain our safety.

And sure if you're thinking I'm late to this party and just another drop in the bucket or something fine think that but I think I am done just staying silent, because clearly that doesn't work and everything just gets worse.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
This could've been so easily avoided, the cop should absolutely be in prison. They chose to escalate the situation of a man sleeping in his goddamn car.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Do tasers even effectively stun or incapacitate people successfully? They always seemed to sting for a short period of time if anything. I'm seeing people on my social media post right wing stuff from black YouTubers saying that the cops could've got tased and Rayshard would've went for their guns... Lol

The guy was just a drunk man trying to run the fuck away. He was probably gonna puke around the corner or passout somewhere... He wasn't a lethal threat on foot....

Fucking Skip Bayless making more sense that these shit heads.

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
Can't believe how many people I know justifying this shit. "Bro he could have tased the cop and stole his gun bro!"

It's like the cops screaming "you're resisting arrest" while you shield your face as they pummel it with punches and whatever else they can use to do harm. The reflexive effort to protect yourself doesn't happen in a vaccum but are instead triggered by police aggression.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
I'll never in my life understand killing, charging, and punishing people over a scientifically proven brain response that you have no control over. As a society we should work towards never putting people in that position. Yet the way our police are armed, and represented, they're always going to trigger fight or flight.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
I'll never in my life understand killing, charging, and punishing people over a scientifically proven brain response that you have no control over. As a society we should work towards never putting people in that position. Yet the way our police are armed, and represented, they're always going to trigger fight or flight.

Honestly, it's part of the implementation.

I think that firearms, choke holds, etc., are all designed to kill anyone they think appears aggressive.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Can't believe how many people I know justifying this shit. "Bro he could have tased the cop and stole his gun bro!"
They must not have even watched the video to see him using the taser to run away and the cop shoot him in the back while he was running away to stop him from escaping, not because he posed immediate further threat to him. Hell, even before in the tussle where he potentially posed the most physical harm to them, they at least had enough sense that they could have killed the other cop by indiscriminately starting firing their gun, and even continued to use the taser as he chased him, but even through all that, it is not until the cop get offended (and maybe even hit to be fair) by Brooks attempting to tase him and Brooks potentially being able to get away, where the cop seems to react out of frustration and anger and recklessly kill Brooks just to stop him from running. It's why people aren't making the argument that the taser is the threat to the cop's life, it's this hypothetical imaginary scenario where he is able to use the taser to get an actually lethal weapon and pose an immediate threat.

This also ignores the fact that the cop ignores the safety of the cars of people waiting in the drive-through that he put those innocent lives that had nothing to do with it at risk with his behavior, one car of which was directly in the line of fire.

It just shows how much benefit of the doubt people are willing to give cops that any other details are considered irrelevant or ignored.

Last edited:

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I drove past the spot today, and it's been the center of protest in Atlanta lately. A ton of people crowded into the Wendy's and no police presence so far, so it's pretty awesome.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
"Rolfe earned a silver pin for making 50 to 99 DUI arrests" aw man he was working toward that gold

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

abcnews.go.com

Investigators release disciplinary records of Rayshard Brooks arresting officers, 911 call

The Atlanta Police Department released the disciplinary records of the officers involved in Rayshard Brooks' death and the 911 call that led to the incident.

Officer Garret Rolfe, who fatally shot Brooks, 27, had prior disciplinary investigations some of which stemmed from civilian complaints and use of force.
Rolfe has been terminated from the police force. Devin Brosnan, who was the first officer on scene, was placed on administrative duty while the Georgia Bureau of Investigation conducts its probe into the June 12 shooting.
Rolfe, who was a six year veteran of the force, had 11 incidents that were reviewed before last week, three of which resulted in disciplinary action, the records show.
The records released by police give the form of the complaint and whether there was any discipline or action taken against the officer, but do not give specific details of each case.
In his time with the Atlanta Police Department, records show Rolfe received an "oral admonishment" for a vehicle accident in October 2014, a use of force violation involving the use of a firearm in September 2016 that resulted in a written reprimand and a written reprimand for a vehicle accident in August 2018.
According to the police records, there was also an incident in August 2015 where Rolfe discharged his weapon, but no action was taken against him.

Wolfapo

Dec 27, 2017
Wow. Kicking a man when he's already down after you shot him. What the hell is wrong with those cops?
They were never fearing for their lives. They just wanted to murder Brooks.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This dipshit can get fucked. Actually kicked him? Enjoy life you asshole.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
This has to be one of the most FUCKED UP stories I have ever read, right up there with George Floyd. I pray to God these 2 are removed from society, permanently.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
This is insane that this happened after Floyd. Like cops are under a microscope and still did this.

man lost his life over something he should have just been woken up and given a $150 ticket for.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
They shot him in the back.

As he was down on the ground and bleeding out. One officer held him down by stepping on his shoulders, while the other officer KICKED him!

8aCIjfC.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Do tasers even effectively stun or incapacitate people successfully? They always seemed to sting for a short period of time if anything. I'm seeing people on my social media post right wing stuff from black YouTubers saying that the cops could've got tased and Rayshard would've went for their guns... Lol

The guy was just a drunk man trying to run the fuck away. He was probably gonna puke around the corner or passout somewhere... He wasn't a lethal threat on foot....

Fucking Skip Bayless making more sense that these shit heads.

You guys always say the same damn thing about Skip. He is literally ALWAYS RIGHT ON ISSUES OF RACE.

He's always correct. He stops the act when it's time to talk about real shit. See: his long-running commentary on LeBron vs "shut up and dribble" and Kaep since the beginning for examples. We can always ignore Skip on other issues. But when it comes to race, he turns into Tim Wise real quick. It's actually quite refreshing. He gets it like Popovich and Kerr get it.

NexusCell

Nov 2, 2017
Not really sure if it was very wise to immediately place charges for felony murder. It seems like the Georgia Bureau of Investigation hasn't finished their findings, so the early charge could end up not being supported by the GBI findings. This, combined with potential jury bias toward police (aka: "he grabbed the officers taser" can be pushed onto juries as "he assaulted an officer") makes me just have a feeling the charge will be dropped. I would thought manslaughter as an initial charge that could later be upgraded to felony murder.

Just have a bad feeling the early felony murder charges could end up backfiring.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020

Yep, tasers work, if people are trained how to use them effectively. It is pretty much all the police here carry, and yet it is rare for any police to be killed or likewise police to kill those they should be serving.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, tasers work, if people are trained how to use them effectively. It is pretty much all the police here carry, and yet it is rare for any police to be killed or likewise police to kill those they should be serving.
Tasers work, sometimes. So much goes into whether they work or not. It's definitely not a guarantee by any stretch of the word. Even if you're close enough, and make perfect contact with both probes, it still isn't a guarantee that it will incapacitate someone.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Tasers work, sometimes. So much goes into whether they work or not. It's definitely not a guarantee by any stretch of the word. Even if you're close enough, and make perfect contact with both probes, it still isn't a guarantee that it will incapacitate someone.

For sure. I wasn't implying that it was a dangerous weapon in the hands of Brooks either. The police here tend to surround a subject and so it gives them the option of another go if the first doesn't work, as seen here. The first two didn't stop him.