• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Think of a genre like Metroidvania. Neither Super Metroid nor Symphony of the Night gave birth to the larger genre of 2D action/adventure games with an exploration focus, but they both created a successful template that was distinct enough for countless games to take inspiration from it for many years afterward. With so many games being made in this style that was directly attributable to these two progenitors, it eventually became appropriate to label it a subgenre unto itself. Thus, Metroidvania was born.

45f.gif

Hotline Miami's memorable aesthetics have been very influential on their own.

At this point I think that Hotline Miami is in a similar position, where it's very common to see games referred to as Hotline Miami-esque or Hotline Miami-inspired. It's usually games that possess some number of these elements that Hotline Miami brought to the table in its very distinctive way:
  • Fast-paced action where death is dealt and received quickly in equal measure and restarts are instantaneous to keep the flow going despite failure. This design sensibility is similar to what you'd see in masocore platformers, but Hotline Miami applied it to top-down action to great success.
  • 80's-inspired audiovisual trappings, typically complete with hallucinogenic or VHS degradation-style visual effects to convey a trippy analog vibe. The use of Vaporwave, Synthwave, or other offshoots of those genres also often accompanies games like these, clearly taking a page from Hotline Miami's playbook.
  • Punchy, arcadey violence. Hotline Miami came onto the scene guns blazing and unafraid to shock players with its unflinching violence, which was stylized by its retro visual aesthetic as to take some of the edge off of the otherwise grisly proceedings. The violence is conveyed through simple, fast gameplay that rewards on-the-fly adaptation and quick reaction times, which ties back into the arcade-inspired design of the core gameplay. This has become an increasingly popular format for indie games in a post-Hotline Miami landscape.

Hotline Miami and its sequel were games that were so consistent and confident with their unique design language that they gave other indie devs a template on how to make a stylish, punchy action game with a memorable aesthetic on a lower budget. As I said before, saying that a game is Hotline Miami-esque has become so common in reviews for these types of games that I feel it's time to give this genre a name.

Katana-ZERO-Action-7.gif

Katana Zero took the Hotline formula and applied it to a side-scrolling action game.

I was listening to a recent HG101 podcast about Katana Zero in which one of the hosts dubbed the genre Superhotline, using a portmanteau between Superhot and Hotline Miami to describe these room-by-room, quick-restart violent action arcade games. I think that's a good start, but I think we can do better.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like you have your answer
Masocore is a broader descriptor, though. That's basically used to describe any game with a focus on difficulty and having the player push through trial-and-error until overcoming challenging scenarios.

With Hotline Miami you can immediately see when games took inspiration from it in more ways than just the somewhat challenging, quick-restart nature of its gameplay.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Shoot-Die-Repeat 'em ups

Perhaps just "Repeat ' em up" might suffice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Playing HLM with a controller sounds straight awful tbh
It's not as good as a KB/M, in my opinion, but it's actually not that much worse. The game controls quite well on a PS4 controller. In some ways dual-stick control is slightly better because you instantly snap to a direction when flicking the right stick as opposed to having to move your cursor across the player-character's central access to make them do a quick 180 on PC.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
This captures the spirit/attitude of these kinds of games as well as the gameplay loop. I love it.

It's like, yeah. In beat 'em ups you're just, well... beating dudes up. Punching and kicking them.

But in these games you're smashing their faces into a pulp with a baseball bat and otherwise mutilating them with zero remorse. Fuckin' them up.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really think Katana Zero is that comparable. It looks like it just took the "flash" from HM and that's it. It obviously doesn't have the top-down perspective and a lot of the strategic elements. I don't really think aesthetics alone is enough. Though I don't know much about KZ, so I could be totally wrong. Ape Out, though I think is pretty similar. Still, I don't think there's really enough clones that we need to consider a sub-genre.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
thinking further on 'hotlike' - does super hot count? it's done in a different way but the idea of creating a 'perfect run' of seemingly improvised (but not really) murder through a particular environment through trial and extremely instant error is there

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bienvenidos a Miamis

I don't really think Katana Zero is that comparable. It looks like it just took the "flash" from HM and that's it. It obviously doesn't have the top-down perspective and a lot of the strategic elements. I don't really think aesthetics alone is enough. Though I don't know much about KZ, so I could be totally wrong. Ape Out, though I think is pretty similar. Still, I don't think there's really enough clones that we need to consider a sub-genre.
The gameplay loop is pretty similar.

it's also a better game

maped

Mar 7, 2018
Fuck 'em up really gets to the point. If you want to be more descriptive maybe something like trippy tactical massacrer.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Katana Zero has the same gameplay loop and flow as Hotline Miami.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Arcade Action? I mean, these games typically have scoring mechanics and difficulty tuned similar to 80's Arcade Games.

The only core difference is you're not spending Quarters each death.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
While influential and very recognisable, I don't think the aesthetic or musical trappings of Hotline Miami are necessarily intrinsic to the 'genre'.

It is all about the gameplay loop of puzzling, one-hit kill, dot-to-dot-esque violence sprees and instant restarts that are the founding stones. I don't even the think the ultra-violence, combo count or top-down view are strict genre pillars (though I can't think of examples that lack the former).

I'd put SuperHOT and Hong Kong Massacre in the 'genre' - maybe even My Friend Pedro? - and neither of those share anything beyond very similar gameplay loops.

I think Ghostrunner is another rare 3D example to go with SuperHOT, though it puts a ton of emphasis on movement and platforming that the others don't.

Oct 24, 2019
This captures the spirit/attitude of these kinds of games as well as the gameplay loop. I love it.

It's like, yeah. In beat 'em ups you're just, well... beating dudes up. Punching and kicking them.

But in these games you're smashing their faces into a pulp with a baseball bat and otherwise mutilating them with zero remorse. Fuckin' them up.

Haha thanks! Yeah it was kinda just the first thing that popped into my head when I saw your question, but I think it fits pretty well and rolls off the tongue nicely.

It also doesn't tie the identity of the genre too closely to one particular franchise. Metroidvania and Soulsborne/Soulslike are handy descriptors that immediately convey what to expect from an experience, but the fact that that they are named after their progenitors' games makes it feel unwieldly. Imagine if we called all vampire fiction "dracula-likes" or all superhero fiction "Superman-likes" lol

Nov 1, 2017
Why does a visual aesthetic need to have influence on the genre of the game? By this definition a Hotline Miami clone with a different look wouldn't qualify as belonging to this sub genre.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Why does a visual aesthetic need to have influence on the genre of the game? By this definition a Hotline Miami clone with a different look wouldn't qualify as belonging to this sub genre.
I said in the OP that a game of this type has some of the bullet points, not all. But HM brought such a memorable audiovisual aesthetic to gaming that it's easy to see its direct influence on other games that have released since. That's why I think it's at least one criterion for categorization, albeit not the most important one.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I think pacing wise it could be grouped together with games like Super Meat Boy, I think the term is "masocore"?

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
I am here to ask about your favourite hot-like games now ERA. I need something new to try in lieu of HM3. Merci.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I said in the OP that a game of this type has some of the bullet points, not all. But HM brought such a memorable audiovisual aesthetic to gaming that it's easy to see its direct influence on other games that have released since. That's why I think it's at least one criterion for categorization, albeit not the most important one.

Just because the aesthetic is influential doesn't mean it is a pillar to identify other games in the genre. Many games outside of the 'genre' have an Neo-80s aesthetic and many games within it don't. It's not just unimportant in terms of categorising the 'genre'; it's arguably not necessary at all.

Plus, I'd argue Drive had more to do with the proliferation of 80's aesthetic and synthwave.