• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Drey1082

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished it last night. Might be my personal game of the year. That world 5 was so, so good.

Such a great game. I want more worlds / levels!

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
Just bought VR the other day. Brought my Brother over yesterday who doesn't game anymore to give this a shot and here is his thoughts on the game in a group message we're in:

Jesus Christ that game is my fav game ever.
That game just made my day.
When I watched game-play it was meh but when I put the headset on it took me to another f*cking dimension.
Best game I've ever played and that's not even kidding. I'm serious.

Someone mentions they watched a video:

Does no justice. Like zero. Like, it's SH*T compared to playing.

It's an incredible game and it was very fun to see Astrobot bring the inner child out of my Bro.

Leon123

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I always see the comparisons to this being similar to that first Mario 64 experience and I totally agree to the point that this is exactly what Mario Odyssey should have been.
Nintendo really should have brought out a more powerful console with s VR unit for their games.
Imagine Mario Kart, Odyssey and Luigi's Mansion in VR.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I always see the comparisons to this being similar to that first Mario 64 experience and I totally agree to the point that this is exactly what Mario Odyssey should have been.
Nintendo really should have brought out a more powerful console with s VR unit for their games.
Imagine Mario Kart, Odyssey and Luigi's Mansion in VR.

There even IS a VR Mario Kart, though it is for arcades only. A VR platform from Nintendo would be the best thing ever.
img_8290h8elr.jpg

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Just bought VR the other day. Brought my Brother over yesterday who doesn't game anymore to give this a shot and here is his thoughts on the game in a group message we're in:

Jesus Christ that game is my fav game ever.
That game just made my day.
When I watched game-play it was meh but when I put the headset on it took me to another f*cking dimension.
Best game I've ever played and that's not even kidding. I'm serious.

Someone mentions they watched a video:

Does no justice. Like zero. Like, it's SH*T compared to playing.

It's an incredible game and it was very fun to see Astrobot bring the inner child out of my Bro.

A lot of people just go to see a YouTube video from this game, trying to understand what's all the hype about, but you WON'T get the experience that everyone is getting by seeing a flat video of a VR game, you just won't.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Oh yeah, is that the roller coaster one? Because that was amazing! (Also Feed Willy, 3-3, is fantastic as well)

Yeah. For me, that level was what blow my mind. How many times I've played a roller coaster level? A lot, and after a while, it became at cliche level. A lot of games have it, but you rarely feel any new or fresh on them. It's something you have experienced countless times.

VR changed that.

There even IS a VR Mario Kart, though it is for arcades only. A VR platform from Nintendo would be the best thing ever.

One of my greatest disappointments is that Nintendo is not interested in VR. If there's a single company I trust to create incredible, original and transformative experiences in VR, is Nintendo. I just knew that if they get into, some of the games they would create, would be defining experiences for VR.

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the game over new year's break having started it at Christmas, absolutely loved it.

I was highly cynical when folks were comparing it to Nintendo's best, but after having beaten the game, I can see where they're coming from. Calling it this gen's Mario 64 moment is a bit much, I mean that's a hard fucking feeling to replicate- one of gaming's true event horizon moments where you knew nothing was ever going to be the same again because you were playing a massive, superhuman leap over what had gone before, a game which showed definitively what was possible with a third dimension and how it should be done. I don't think Astro Bot quite reaches that level. It's more like the first time I played one of the early Saturn or PlayStation 3D platformers, where I was mesmerised by the exciting new visuals but at the same time thinking about what was possible further down the line. I also wouldn't say that it compares to the typical Nintendo game in terms of interactive complexity or design intricacy either. Astro Bot's abilities and controls are very simple, traditional, and straightforward. There's not a lot you can do with your Bot alone besides jump and punch things. And the level design is packaged in a very (literally) in-your-face, theme park ride kind of way, and it serves the game very well, but there's not much room for subtlety or the kind of optional diversions which make a game like this truly thrive. That said, I was very impressed by how well they managed to integrate secrets and fun asides into what is essentially a series of linear hallways.

The areas where Astro Bot absolutely does match the Nintendo experience however are in its astounding creativity, personality, technical achievement, and flawless polish. There are moments... too many... of pure brilliance. Sometimes big, showstopping moments (someone's been playing Retro's DKC games for sure), or sometimes something as small as creative use of perspective to get your eye line curious, until you literally move your entire head and make a cool discovery. The
Luigi's Mansion
-inspired level- man, I just didn't want it to end. It's absolutely the most successful attempt at this kind of game by Sony thus far (it kicks the everloving fuck out of Knack), maybe even better than anyone other than Nintendo themselves.

I'm surprised to hear myself say it, especially being a massive RE fan and all, but I really do think Astro Bot has the edge over RE7 as VR's killer app. Sony and ASOBI have accomplished something I didn't think was possible- an unmissable VR game which doesn't rely on first person control. I think it's even worth getting the device just to play it. Can't give it a higher recommendation than that.

Last edited:

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
The impressions in this thread are probably the most positive, glowing I've read in any gaming impressions thread, ever. It almost comes off like people are promoting the game. If I hadn't played it myself it might make me wonder. Lol

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I was totally won over the first time that he runs past you and waves. The game's just so charming, and keeps changing it up enough to keep you coming back. I had a blast with it.

I started Moss yesterday, and while the camera and the actual game haven't won me over as quickly, I do love Quill. There was one room where I was trying to grab the scroll, and had to stop to think about it, and she kept miming using the bad guy to shoot the target, and I said (out loud, like a crazy person) "I know, but I'm trying to get the thing". She didn't reply, because, well, that's not how it works. But one day, maybe.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
i love Astrobot and i'm amazed it got made.

at any rate, hopefully devs and execs at Nintendo will play Astrobot and get inspired to get off their asses :P

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Got all the trophies except for the challenge trophies. Once I complete those all I will have my second platinum ever! I usually don't give a crap about trophies but this game is so good I have to complete it 100%.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
The
Luigi's Mansion
-inspired level- man, I just didn't want it to end. It's absolutely the most successful attempt at this kind of game by Sony thus far (it kicks the everloving fuck out of Knack), maybe even better than anyone other than Nintendo themselves.

I'm surprised to hear myself say it, especially being a massive RE fan and all, but I really do think Astro Bot has the edge over RE7 as VR's killer app. Sony and ASOBI have accomplished something I didn't think was possible- an unmissable VR game which doesn't rely on first person control. I think it's even worth getting the device just to play it. Can't give it a higher recommendation than that.

Regarding that spoiler - The godly soundtrack that accompanies it is soo good. From the 47th second onwards.... the level design and music in total harmony.

[

The music is absolutely brilliant and complements the game so well. To think this masterpiece was made by a small team of 20 with a small budget... Give them all the money Sony Japan.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Regarding that spoiler - The godly soundtrack that accompanies it is soo good. From the 47th second onwards.... the level design and music in total harmony.

[

The music is absolutely brilliant and complements the game so well.

Oh my gosh that was my favorite level AND song of the game. The challenge level is also awesome.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Was looking at trophies and 97% of players finished 1-1, but only 50+% finished 1-5. Not sure I understand how this of call games could lose 40% it's players that quickly.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This game singlehandedly makes me excited to play traditional third-person games in VR. I see no reason why VR couldn't just enhance the experience of games like, say, Final Fantasy or a Zelda (to pick two random third person games).

I also think Nintendo going VR is a matter of not if, but when.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This game singlehanded makes me excited to play traditional third-person games in VR. I see no reason why VR couldn't just enhance the experience of games like, say, Final Fantasy or a Zelda (to pick two random third person games).

Oh fuck, BoTW in VR would be wild.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I love Astro Bot too but I swear Moss blew me away even more. It came out first didn't it?
It doesn't do as much with the camera as Astro Bot does but the effect is incredible anyway.

When I opened that gate to the village near the beginning and peered inside to see the world stretch forward beyond the gate I was properly mind fucked.

Last edited:

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so tempted to drop coin on PSVR. sounds like Astro Bot could be a GOTY-tier game for me.

This game leapfrogged RDR2 and God of War for my personal GOTY. If you can spare the money for it, I would highly recommend it. It's one of, if not, my favorite game experience of this gen.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Does the game's camera constantly move around with you like a typical 3rd person game? Doesn't that cause motion sickness? I guess the closest game to this I've tried is Lucky's Tale on my Vive and even the starting level made me nauseous whenever the camera would start to pan around. Other games like Moss on the other hand are great because of the lack of involuntary camera movement

Nov 30, 2017
This game leapfrogged RDR2 and God of War for my personal GOTY. If you can spare the money for it, I would highly recommend it. It's one of, if not, my favorite game experience of this gen.

I agree. It really is up there among the best. At the same time it's hard to even compare it to traditional flat screen gaming. It really is a whole different experience.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Does the game's camera constantly move around with you like a typical 3rd person game? Doesn't that cause motion sickness? I guess the closest game to this I've tried is Lucky's Tale on my Vive and even the starting level made me nauseous whenever the camera would start to pan around. Other games like Moss on the other hand are great because of the lack of involuntary camera movement

The camera follows behind the Bot, its pretty linear and straightforward. Out of the two dozen people I've demoed Astro Bot to, none of them got motion sick.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The camera moves with you, but in a limited way. Essentially you move forward on a linear track, at your own pace. The game stops in most large areas to let you explore. Then it will move forward slowly if you keep progressing.

I am particularly sensitive to VR motion sickness - and Astro Bot never bothered me at all.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017

No the camera position just moves and certain progression points in the level.

Oct 27, 2017

Each level is like a Disney ride, it's on one track that you are pulled forward on depending on how much forward progress your astrobot makes. But you are in control of the camera using your head (and body to get up / turn around/ lean down / look up / etc.)

Hinkypunk

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
off-topic: can someone explain how the title bar of the thread works? It's a neat banner of Astro Bot. Did OP set that? A mod? Is it auto-generated because the title of the thread contains "Astro Bot"?

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Was looking at trophies and 97% of players finished 1-1, but only 50+% finished 1-5. Not sure I understand how this of call games could lose 40% it's players that quickly.

There's also the thing where you show the game to someone, and this game is one everyone wants to have a go. They need to sign in on their own account to have a chance to play it properly and search for the bots themselves which would be missing if they played my game, like my son and nephews did before finding it too tough to continue.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished all of world 1 and this game honestly just puts a big smile of my face the entire time I'm playing it. The city levels also look really good for a VR game.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
This game singlehandedly makes me excited to play traditional third-person games in VR. I see no reason why VR couldn't just enhance the experience of games like, say, Final Fantasy or a Zelda (to pick two random third person games).

I said the same in one of the various osvrv threads.
I always thought vr was almost designed for first person and i couldn't be more wrong.
The games that impressed me the most have been the ones you can see the character, with fixed or moving camera.
I think almost every third person game could have a vr mode even if it didn't add anything gameplay wise.
I know it won't happen, but maybe on ps5 we could have every first party game from Sony having a VR mode with ps4 level visuals... I'd choose that over 4k and all bells and whistles. Imagine playing Ghosts of tsushima with a navigation controller and a move for the sword....

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. For me, that level was what blow my mind. How many times I've played a roller coaster level? A lot, and after a while, it became at cliche level. A lot of games have it, but you rarely feel any new or fresh on them. It's something you have experienced countless times.

VR changed that.

One of my greatest disappointments is that Nintendo is not interested in VR. If there's a single company I trust to create incredible, original and transformative experiences in VR, is Nintendo. I just knew that if they get into, some of the games they would create, would be defining experiences for VR.
Maybe. But when was the last time they really made such games ? Are we sure they could do their own Astro-bot moment if they could make games using VR ? Mario 64 was a defining experience in 3D. I was there and bought a japanese N64 to play the game, and I was blown away by the game. But that was more than 20 years ago. Since then they just improved and polished the formula and didn't really innovate in the same way.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe. But when was the last time they really made such games ? Are we sure they could do their own Astro-bot moment if they could make games using VR ? Mario 64 was a defining experience in 3D. I was there and bought a japanese N64 to play the game, and I was blown away by the game. But that was more than 20 years ago. Since then they just improved and polished the formula and didn't really innovate in the same way.
I'm not sure where you get your skepticism from here. Nintendo has capitalized on a number of hardware innovations over the last 20 years (touchscreen, motion controls, etc). They're known for games that do a million new tricks every level, even recently (Super Mario Odyssey).

Not to undermine Astro Bot, because it is a triumph they should be proud of. But there's a reason why Astro Boy is being called "Nintendo-esque". Nintendo-like innovation is the standard they have risen to. And we're talking about modern Nintendo. I have zero doubt a Mario VR would rise to meet the standards set by Astro Bot, and exceed it.

Nintendo with VR would certainly be a beast.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure where you get your skepticism from here. Nintendo has capitalized on a number of hardware innovations over the last 20 years (touchscreen, motion controls, etc). They're known for games that do a million new tricks every level, even recently (Super Mario Odyssey).

Not to undermine Astro Bot, because it is a triumph they should be proud of. But there's a reason why Astro Boy is being called "Nintendo-esque". Nintendo-like innovation is the standard they have risen to. And we're talking about modern Nintendo. I have zero doubt a Mario VR would rise to meet the standards set by Astro Bot, and exceed it.

Nintendo with VR would certainly be a beast.
They have made innovations, gimmicks and tricks but those weren't a defining experience IMO. All their recent games are mostly done by polishing the old formula, a great formula. People nowadays don't play Nintendo games to play super innovative games, they play them to have fun, for many to have fun the way they had fun years ago.

I have many doubts Nintendo could do again what they did on N64 with Mario 64 and Zelda 64. Particularly for VR cause you need ambitious hardware for that, on multiple fronts: console, headset and APIs. Back then the N64 was a very ambitious 3D machine and It was co-designed by Silicon graphics.

But the thing is we don't need Nintendo to make such defining experiences on those new ways to play. We should be grateful that Nintendo is still there and continue to make their fun games on their tablets. Because we have plenty of others hungry companies out there on PC and consoles (and even mobiles) that are ready to be ambitious for us (because they want some of that new pie obviously).

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
I guess the closest game to this I've tried is Lucky's Tale on my Vive and even the starting level made me nauseous whenever the camera would start to pan around
Lucky's tale was one of those early examples of how 'not to' move camera, Astro Bot is a lot more comfortable with how they manage the movement (and for obvious reasons, it's not free roaming camera).

I think almost every third person game could have a vr mode even if it didn't add anything gameplay wise.
Adding well done VR-camera is basically designing a new game in of itself (or at least the levels) - it's not that straightforward yet.

I know it won't happen, but maybe on ps5 we could have every first party game from Sony having a VR mode with ps4 level visuals...
I'd argue that the whole "VR is a generation behind in visuals" hasn't been true for awhile now. Astro Bot is unlike anything PS3 ever managed in a platformer, especially once you add the framerate and resolution it's rendered at.
And this delta is only set to shrink - we'll be at a point in a few years where you'll need less GPU to render equivalent image in VR than on flat-screen.