Assuming that Insomniac goes for Gwen Stacy next in their Spider-Man universe, who should voice her?

• Dove Cameron (Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon, Marvel Rising)

Votes: 22 3.2%
  • Allegra Clark (Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3)

Votes: 23 3.4%
  • Laura Bailey (2017 Spider-Man cartoon)

Votes: 58 8.5%
  • Hailee Steinfeld (Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse)

Votes: 318 46.8%
  • Someone entirely new to the role

Votes: 237 34.9%
  • Lacey Chabert (The Spectacular Spider-Man)

Votes: 22 3.2%

• Total voters

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
hero_spider-gwen.png

Gwen Stacy seems to be a popular request regarding side games for Insomniac's Spider-Man series after the inevitable main sequel. And coming off of Into the Spider-Verse, I can see why. But the question is, who should voice her. They could go for an actress who did the role before (as was the case with Miles, as Nadji Jeter voiced the character in the 2017 Spider-Man cartoon), or try someone completely new to the role (as was the case with Yuri Lowenthal as Peter). I put a few popular options in the poll, so take your pick. If you want someone new, I'd love for you to nominate someone for the role.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Would prefer someone new just to let them have a chance at a big role, but it could definitely be Laura.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Where's the option for Lacey Chabert? Her Spectacular Spider-Man voice actor.

Besides Laura Bailey already plays Mary Jane.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
As a gameplay-first type, if they decide to pick Gwen instead of Venom, I hope they give her symbiote powers. Regardless of the character's story, I want a new mix on the gameplay. Symbiote powers will do that. Otherwise regular Gwen will feel like a regression, gameplay-wise.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
As a gameplay-first type, if they decide to pick Gwen instead of Venom, I hope they give her symbiote powers. Regardless of the character's story, I want a new mix on the gameplay. Symbiote powers will do that. Otherwise regular Gwen will feel like a regression, gameplay-wise.
I could actually see Gwen as a means of keeping the symbiote stuff around if they go with her instead of Venom.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
My choice is a bit out there, but I'd like to see Erica Lindbeck do it. She usually voices anime characters, but her performance in Tell Me Why (from what I've heard so far) has been great.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Anyone but Laura Bailey. Not because I have something against her as a person, but she's simply in too much stuff and quite often you can immediately tell it's her which breaks whatever character she's playing. The fact that she already plays MJ probably also means there's no chance to begin with.

Sounds like a load of shit. There's no reason to believe Spider-Man 2 wont just be NYC again.

Last edited:

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
If it wasn't for her playing Black Cat, Erica Lindbeck would've been perfect. Ditto Ashky Burch who is now in the universe.

Since she does though, Allegra Clark is a good pick as are Brianna White, Brittany Cox, Abby Trott and Cherami Leigh.

Please not Laura Bailey. Her Gwen voice is basically her "Laura Bailey actresss" voice the directors have her use all the time, but is not distinct enough from her actual voice she uses for MJ. I love Laura but she's in everything and it will get distracting real quick having MJ and Gwen talk.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
I dig Spider-Gwen (especially if her game takes place in her universe's version of New York) but I'm hoping Spider-Man 2099 gets a shot too. The futuristic spin would lend itself to a pretty different NYC.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they don't. I love Gwen and Ghost-Spider is cool and all but not everything Spider-Man needs to be Spider-Verse. They'd have to either explain that their new game is in a different universe than the others, or just make Gwen alive in the Insomniac universe, which would be weird. It's like Red Hood being around in the DC universe for me; it undercuts a defining event in comics history.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
If it wasn't for her playing Black Cat, Erica Lindbeck would've been perfect. Ditto Ashky Burch who is now in the universe.

Since she does though, Allegra Clark is a good pick as are Brianna White, Brittany Cox, Abby Trott and Cherami Leigh.

Please not Laura Bailey. Her Gwen voice is basically her "Laura Bailey actresss" voice the directors have her use all the time, but is not distinct enough from her actual voice she uses for MJ. I love Laura but she's in everything and it will get distracting real quick having MJ and Gwen talk.
Disagree on Brianna. I thought her performance as Aerith was extremely charming, but wildly inconsistent (she sound completely different at certain points). She needs a few more smaller roles to fully find her footing, I think.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I hope they don't. I love Gwen and Ghost-Spider is cool and all but not everything Spider-Man needs to be Spider-Verse. They'd have to either explain that their new game is in a different universe than the others, or just make Gwen alive in the Insomniac universe, which would be weird. It's like Red Hood being around in the DC universe for me; it undercuts a defining event in comics history.
Gwen was seemingly never part of Peter's backstory, so Insomniac can do whatever with her.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Admittedly my knowledge of Gwen Stacey is limited to the 70s ASM comics and SM3 but I remember her being more innocent and earnest compared to the more flamboyant MJ, is that still the case I her recent incarnations?

Add another vote for Cherami Leigh, Id listen to her read the phone book

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Gwen was seemingly never part of Peter's backstory, so Insomniac can do whatever with her.

Sure, but now you're just giving multiple people in the same universe similar spider powers and suddenly Spider-Man isn't as unique anymore. It works in the comics because they're alternate universe versions replacing Peter rather than existing alongside him; Miles is an odd case and still feels a little weird to me to be existing alongside Pete.

SoneaB

Oct 18, 2020
UK
They'll probably go for Ashley Burch, but they should try and get Beanie Feldstein or better yet Mae Whitman.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I wanted Ashly Burch for the role but they got her for Danika so I'd say someone new, not well known. Give some new talent a chance.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I'd love it if they mix it up to such a degree.

Yeah, also wouldn't mind if they just introduce plain Gwen Stacy.