• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 50761

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Yes, and the Aveline single mission. That mission not exactly a huge amount of content but it's nice that it's there anyway.

Probably this will be the same price as ACII Remastered in most countries. That'd mean €40. Last year that somehow translated into a price of £30 in the UK. Whether that'll be £30 this year or go up to £35 or similar, I guess you'll need to wait and see, since there's no eShop listing yet.
It's on amazon for £35 so I'd guess it'll be the same on the eshop, wouldn't surprise me if it's more though lol.

Oct 26, 2017

olobolger

Oct 31, 2017
Andalusia
The plot thickens (not really? 🤔).

As they still have the previous cover without the partial download info banner, I went to the Amazon.com listing and directly asked if both games are on cartdridge. I was expecting a generic answer (This is a cartdridge version or something along those lines) or no response at all.

Well, Ubisoft Support gave a very concrete response:

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx2HELF4TA3WE78/

I still don't trust that they will be using a different cartdrige size in USA, but 🤷‍♂️

So, as expected, Ubisoft Support has deleted the answer now 🙃.

They will probably update the cover art soon.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
The axed multiplayer hurts, but is expected. I know a lot of people didn't like AC multiplayer, but I loved it. There is literally nothing like AC multiplayer with its emphasis on sneaking and blending in.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I played through almost all of Black Flag via remote play on my Vita, so the idea of an actually-portable version of it is kind of intriguing, lol. Been meaning to replay it lately.

Oct 26, 2017

Meant to post this myself, but the game is now listed on the actual eShop and is 11.8GB. But is that for both games? That's wizardry if it's both and could easily fit on one 16GB card. Hopefully it's the case in NA. It seems that it may be one sku after all, so if they did a download code for Rogue, it'd be the stupid FFX/X-2 deal again. :/ Just make it native DLC in that case right from the eShop.

Dec 25, 2018
Pretty exciting, definitely the best AC games imo, mostly because the ship combat was unlike anything for its time. Still is hard to beat.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
This is out tomorrow right? No sign of impressions/performance?
It's out on the 6th on the eShop. I guess that's the physical release date as well. Presumably that'll mean some people end up getting copies within the next few days and hopefully posting some impressions on the performance, though I don't expect anything better than PS3/Xbox 360 performance/assets with 1080p resolution.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
Anyone who can tag the Digital Foundry people on here to ask if they'll be doing a summary of this port? Don't know how to tag people lol

bitunoriginal

Oct 27, 2017
Got my copy today. You need to download Rogue via the cart rather than a code in the box, which presumably is a good thing in terms of the cart actually being able to access both games for a potential future owner?

Also has some nice bonuses like access to Assassins Creed: Awakening which is a manga adaption and Blackbeard: The Captain's Log novel. Both currently unavailable on the eshop but I'm guessing they are free to download - would be surprised if not.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Got my copy today. You need to download Rogue via the cart rather than a code in the box, which presumably is a good thing in terms of the cart actually being able to access both games for a potential future owner?

Also has some nice bonuses like access to Assassins Creed: Awakening which is a manga adaption and Blackbeard: The Captain's Log novel. Both currently unavailable on the eshop but I'm guessing they are free to download - would be surprised if not.

Please do let us know how it looks and runs! I'm planning on grabbing this the second I hear it runs okay. I've been refreshing YouTube for gameplay footage all morning.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, now that is awesome. I don't think they ever announced this.

Does it say if Awakening is the full series, or just the first volume or something? Ditto for the Blackbeard novel; is it the full thing or just a preview?

It's good but not worth the full freight on its own. It's like a 12 hour game.
I actually really liked its length. It felt less bloated and more focused.

bitunoriginal

Oct 27, 2017
Please do let us know how it looks and runs! I'm planning on grabbing this the second I hear it runs okay. I've been refreshing YouTube for gameplay footage all morning.

I've literally only played the intro sequence to Black Flag on my Switch Lite so far so I'm reluctant to say how good is it. It seems a bit smoother than AC3 to me so far though and looks great on the Lite. I replayed Black Flag on my PS4 recently and felt like it had a bit of fogginess to the visuals and this version doesn't seem to have that. It defo looks better than the 360 version to my eyes and way, way better than the Wii U version which was pretty terrible in terms of graphics.

bitunoriginal

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, now that is awesome. I don't think they ever announced this.

Does it say if Awakening is the full series, or just the first volume or something? Ditto for the Blackbeard novel; is it the full thing or just a preview?

I honestly couldn't say as they need to be downloaded and aren't currently accessible via the store, same for Rogue which I'm not able to download yet.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I'm monitoring this thread. Black Flag is the only Assassin's Creed I'm interested in, and if the port is not garbage like AC III, I may eventually bite (on sale of course).

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly couldn't say as they need to be downloaded and aren't currently accessible via the store, same for Rogue which I'm not able to download yet.
Gotcha. Wasn't sure if it might have explained it in the collection's menu or something.

Eager to see if they're indeed the full novel and series. Not sure I'd want to read on the Switch, but that's still a cool bonus.

bitunoriginal

Oct 27, 2017
One additional bonus is that you can change the text size of subtitles, something which is sorely lacking in 90% of Switch games!

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
I've literally only played the intro sequence to Black Flag on my Switch Lite so far so I'm reluctant to say how good is it. It seems a bit smoother than AC3 to me so far though and looks great on the Lite. I replayed Black Flag on my PS4 recently and felt like it had a bit of fogginess to the visuals and this version doesn't seem to have that. It defo looks better than the 360 version to my eyes and way, way better than the Wii U version which was pretty terrible in terms of graphics.

Thank you! I know it's anecdotal, but I'm liking everything I'm hearing. Really hoping Digital Foundry dives in to this one.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Black Flag is the best AC game, so of course I'm going to get it eventually.

Also wouldn't say no to Ezio's Collection.

If you're not a first time player of these games, how do you feel about having to play the abstergo office stuff again?

Didn't like the first time, so that's not going to change lol.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
If you're not a first time player of these games, how do you feel about having to play the abstergo office stuff again?
I'm one of the few people who used to eat up that part of the series, so I'm not turned off by the idea. I loved the puzzles and lore from it. Just wish the story itself in those parts focused on an actual character instead of "me", and I wish the game let you do things other than just the puzzles.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Comparison videos:

At least in Black Flag, framerate seems much better on Switch. Shadows are better too. Want to see undocked footage.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm one of the few people who used to eat up that part of the series, so I'm not turned off by the idea. I loved the puzzles and lore from it. Just wish the story itself in those parts focused on an actual character instead of "me", and I wish the game let you do things other than just the puzzles.
Same, I loved the emails and stuff going back to the first game. But now I'm aware of the lore and stuff. Rogue at least makes a little use of the "me" factor, first timers will be pleasantly surprised.

bitunoriginal

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing as I'm working from home today, I decided to test it out a bit more, in Docked mode this time. Graphics are really clean and menus are really snappy, however it is very jaggy. I personally don't find that a problem but some might. It's almost like the opposite of the Witcher 3 which I found to be very muddy in terms of visual fidelity. Personally I prefer the clarity if this, jaggys be damned. Framerate seems to be a relatively stable 30 FPS but I am generally not someone too bothered about framerate. Definitely has the occasional bit of pop-in as you'd expect but overall it seems to be playing well in the areas that matter to me like framerate, clarity and menu snappiness. Looking forward to see what Digital Foundry say - definitely has some compromises as you'd expect from any Switch port but it seems pretty competent to me so far.

Also forgot how much I liked Kenway lol; 'Shut your fucking gob or I'll fill it with shot, you hear me?!'

Jan 29, 2018

Wow I totally forgot that Black Flag was on Wii U, it's always been a PS4 launch game in my head. I'll keep an eye out for discounts on this port since it seems novel to have it on Switch.

starsleep3

Oct 25, 2017
I played this to completion on 360. Loved it so much. Feel like I should play it again on Switch.
I cannot imagine performance is "bad" considering this was a cross-gen game (PS3/PS4/360/XB1) and it was also on Wii U!

Feb 21, 2018
Seeing as I'm working from home today, I decided to test it out a bit more, in Docked mode this time. Graphics are really clean and menus are really snappy, however it is very jaggy. I personally don't find that a problem but some might. It's almost like the opposite of the Witcher 3 which I found to be very muddy in terms of visual fidelity. Personally I prefer the clarity if this, jaggys be damned. Framerate seems to be a relatively stable 30 FPS but I am generally not someone too bothered about framerate. Definitely has the occasional bit of pop-in as you'd expect but overall it seems to be playing well in the areas that matter to me like framerate, clarity and menu snappiness. Looking forward to see what Digital Foundry say - definitely has some compromises as you'd expect from any Switch port but it seems pretty competent to me so far.

Also forgot how much I liked Kenway lol; 'Shut your fucking gob or I'll fill it with shot, you hear me?!'
Can you turn the blood off in settings?

Dec 2, 2017
If they're never putting the ancient world games (Origins/Odyssey) on Switch, then Black Flag is the best Assassin's Creed you're ever likely to get on Switch. It was genuinely great. I got to 95% completion on Wii U, I'm sure I would've gone for 100% if Nintendo had platinum trophies.

There's so much pirate fiction, so seeing the real individuals, reading the historical entries, and experiencing the actual geography rather than the vaguely defined spaces pirate fiction tends to operate in was a great experience.

Only thing missing here is Assassin's Creed III, since that's the clear prequel/first chapter in the story.

Deleted member 50761

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
If they're never putting the ancient world games (Origins/Odyssey) on Switch, then Black Flag is the best Assassin's Creed you're ever likely to get on Switch. It was genuinely great. I got to 95% completion on Wii U, I'm sure I would've gone for 100% if Nintendo had platinum trophies.

There's so much pirate fiction, so seeing the real individuals, reading the historical entries, and experiencing the actual geography rather than the vaguely defined spaces pirate fiction tends to operate in was a great experience.

Only thing missing here is Assassin's Creed III, since that's the clear prequel/first chapter in the story.
AC3 isn't missing, it came out on Switch earlier this year...?

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Same. I like the corporate conspiracy stuff in the series.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I replayed Black Flag on my PS4 recently and felt like it had a bit of fogginess to the visuals and this version doesn't seem to have that.
Possibly that's the depth of field effect - the PS4 and Xbox One had it but it wasn't there on other consoles. Would make sense for them to turn it off on Switch as well.

It seems a bit smoother than AC3 to me so far
For whatever reason, pretty much every version of ACIV performed better than the equivalent version of ACIII, so...that makes sense. Thanks for the impressions too, good to have some positive word.

I'm not particularly bothered by it. They weren't memorable so I've forgotten all but a few key scenes, so hopefully they're forgettable enough that they won't feel repetitive.

Also wouldn't say no to Ezio's Collection.
I'd guess that's the logical next step for Switch, some time in 2020.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Never really cared about AC as I bought the original and tried a bunch of the others over a friends and hated the gameplay.

However I've always been interested in Black Flag and Rogue as being worth a try since apparently they're standouts in the series and I'm down for some ship combat.

Really hope this performs well technically as I'll definitely pick it up if so. If it's anything like AC3 on Switch then ooooh never mind

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
i watched some YouTube videos and along with the impressions above, I think this could be a better port than AC3. I felt kind of burned by buying AC3 at release, both because it was a rough port and the game itself wasn't good (I'd played it originally on PC and didn't like it then either but thought I'd give it a 2nd chance after few years.) I absolutely loved Black Flag and didn't get too far in Rogue so I'm really considering this release.

Just wait till Switch 2 for Origins/Odyssey (personally I'm not a big fan of the new ones, they have too much RPG elements)

bitunoriginal

Oct 27, 2017
Well I've spent most of the night playing Black Flag docked and I think it's a great port. Seems to run a fairly consistent 30 fps from what I can tell and the graphics are pretty good overall apart from the jagginess. Definitely feels better than the 360 and Wii U versions of the game, although I must admit I haven't played them for ages. Very much enjoying jumping back into this classic!

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Initial impressions are pretty good. I've played for a little over two hours of Black Flag, mostly going straight for story missions (for anyone new to Black Flag - it really limits what you can do at the start of the game, so it's best not to get distracted by the open world stuff and progress through the story, at least until the point where you can freely sail). I've played 100% handheld so far.

In handheld, framerate looks steady and resolution looks to be native. There are quite obvious jaggies, but those edges are clean enough to suggest it's 720p handheld all or almost all of the time. Black Flag is a game packed with detail and that mostly translates well to the Switch screen, but things like leaves on mid-distance trees will shimmer, and the lighting model doesn't extend to the horizon (lighting looks fine on the ground, but higher up that can cause some far-off objects to look strange). Sometimes NPCs dither into existence as well, which looks a bit odd. These are all minor things, the kind of compromise that AC games almost always have to make, and they don't harm the game.

I have noticed one strange graphical glitch which has happened on several occasions when turning the camera, and looks like a vertical screen tear (as in, a tear dividing the screen vertically, not horizontally). Whatever it is, it's not actually screen tear, but I can't describe it any other way. It lasts for a split second and then it's gone, but it is noticeable for that split second.

Gameplay seems entirely unchanged which is mostly a good thing. Several things about the way AC games worked back then will annoy newcomers and anyone who's only played Origins and/or Odyssey - tailing missions are irritating and chasing shanties is just an awful way to obtain them - but the game still offers tons of freedom, a great world, and plenty of stuff to do.

I still have a long way to go but provisionally this is the best handheld Assassin's Creed purchase ever. The competition isn't exactly fierce (Bloodlines, Liberation, the DS games, Chronicles, ACIII, Liberation again), but a good AC game getting a good conversion to handheld has been a long time coming.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Happy to hear positive impressions, can't wait to try this again soon!

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Some small things I forgot to mention:

- the framerate on the mini-map looks like 15FPS (maybe lower). This was kind of distracting for a while but I think I've gotten used to it now.
- loading times are pretty good. Better than I remember from the PS4 version, though that was six years ago so that memory might be all kinds of wrong. Whether they're better than PS4 or not they are tolerable and, for fast travel, quicker than most open-world games I've played recently.
- the game sucks up battery life.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like pretty positive impressions so far, which I wasn't expecting. I was worried it would end up like the Switch version of AC3, which could still do better in performance and actually has bugs from the last-gen versions that were fixed in other platforms' releases of its remaster.

I wonder if Rogue performs as well as Black Flag does.

Status
Not open for further replies.