• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

McCarth

Apr 8, 2020
Also LOL at saying FFVIIR seemed anything like a living world. It's basically designed for you to run straight from point A to point B, and any deviation from that shows just how scripted and surface level all the background stuff is.
I mean I don't want to pile on those who really enjoy it, and I did myself, but I'm with you. VIIR is anything but a well-fleshed out world, and IMO suffers from what most Japanese-made game narratives suffer from: abject superficiality.

Kudos to all of you who are reading into these simple, quick lines from the NPCs, but I found it all so rote and expected I was immediately turned off and bored. Whether it's a talent gap or simply a difference in raw manpower, the differences between Western and Eastern game narratives are starting to become more and more apparent to me.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
The title doesn't really fit the content of the OP. There are tons of things in Odyssey that make it feel like a lived-in world and not "just" a video game. Anyone who has been to the incredibly designed salt farms can attest to this.

What the OP DOES point out, which I agree with, is that role-playing can be difficult when so many of Odyssey's activities require you to be a raider/conquerer instead of a mercenary, which is a very different motivation. Accordingly, there can be a sense of disconnect between what the player wants to do or is asked to do by Ubisoft and the reasons why the character is doing what they're doing (it's no surprise that their next game has you playing a viking. Dissonance resolved!). I don't actually think, contrary to the OP, that the little repeatable quests are an issue, though, since it is very easy to simply say no to them.

There are many things that can go into a game beyond PC motivation to assist in crafting a believable experience, though, and in my opinion Odyssey does those other things very well: locations, scale, supreme attention to detail, knowledge about the world in which the story takes place and the degree to which this info is doled out to the player through quests and books and such.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I haven't played FF7r so can't say anything about it, is it a open world game though?

I loved Horizon, not because of the open world prospect but because of the thrill of finding out the mystery of what happened to the world and probably my favorite new enemies in a game. Dino-bots ftw.

I really wanted to like Odyssey but I felt the same as you. It kinda felt like the game was missing a bit of heart or personality. Though I don't think that it's the overworld that's missing it's personality but the gameplay loop, because when you look at the Tour Guides that they've done for Origins and Odyssey you can tell that they've done homework.