Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
So previews for Assassin's Creed Odyssey are going up.
Journos got to play the first eight hours of the title. Impressions are quite positive overall

The Introduction of the game:

The First 20 Minutes After The Introduction:

WARNING, IF YOU AVOIDED THE SPOILERS ABOVE PREVIEWS SPOIL THE INTRODUCTION OF THE GAME:
VG27
Assassin's Creed Odyssey plays like a greatest hits of the current trends in open-world gaming, with a tighter focus on story and side quests than overly-dense collectathons. A lot of games promise to offer decisions that matter, but the choices in the demo I played did seem to create demostrable differences in the game world, with certain dialogue paths leading to new questlines, fun set-pieces, and overarching changes in Odyssey's main story. For example, you can choose to kill the debt-collecting thugs or send them running with their tails between their legs. The latter choice might sit better if you're roleplaying someone that doesn't take life lightly, but it means those same goons will call some friends, lick their wounds, and ambush you when you set off down the road.

Polygon
It's a good decision to tell a personal story in a chaotic time. I'm skating around the details to leave the game as unspoiled as possible, but flow of the main narrative in these first six hours was good. There were big story hooks embedded throughout that drove me forward, and the challenges that stood between me and the next juicy reveal didn't feel arbitrary.

Eurogamer:
Odyssey delivers some of the best writing in the series by a country mile, evident from the three hours of mid-campaign missions I played just prior to E3, but noticeable too even in the brief lead-up to the Medusa boss fight on offer at gamescom. I've been impressed by the nuance and dry humour present in Odyssey's storytelling, and in particular I've been blown away by the delivery from Kassandra's voice actor Melissanthi Mahut, who puts in a passionate performance which easily rivals that of previous franchise bests.

Venturebeat:
Ubisoft has unquestionably provided a big world in Assassin's Creed: Odyssey. It's full of exciting environments, big land and sea battles, compelling missions, great moments from both history and the myths, and beautiful graphics. I've enjoyed what I've seen so far. But the developers have to walk a fine line. They have to provide a hundred hours of content for the die-hard fans who want to explore every bit of the world.

But I want to follow the main story, the real Odyssey of the game, which relates to Kassandra's past and is very compelling. It's an emotional journey, and one that is so compelling that you'll want to speed through the narrative as fast as you can.

PCGamer:
The addition of dialogue choices kept my head in the scenes more effectively than passive cutscenes would, and your avatar—whether you choose Alexios or Kassandra—is a lot of fun. I can't think of many RPG heroes that would stuff an important quest item up a passing goat's arse just to spite someone, for example. In many situations you have the choice to behave like a reckless and bloodthirsty warrior or take a more measured approach. At one point Kassandra lost patience with a quest-giver's attitude and yelled "I'll kill the bandits and get your fucking wood!", and the NPC recoiled in fear.

GamingTrend
One of my favorite new additions to the Assassin's Creed playbook is a new mode. Typically, when you are given a quest objective, you are also provided a marker on the map to chase it down. Now, right after choosing between four difficulty levels, you can choose between Guided Mode (where markers are displayed at all times) and Exploration mode. Exploration mode provides general locations of things instead of specifics ("The Captain will meet you east of the city of Phokis" or "We believe he's nearby a cave at the southern edge of the island"), allowing the player to explore without so much hand-holding. This small change made the open world, which is already 2.5x larger than the massive play space of Origins, feel even larger and more mysterious.

As you explore the island, uncovering quests and opportunities, you are constantly exposed to the new approach to narrative engagement that the team has taken with Odyssey. Moving from traditional linear storytelling to, as they've phrased it, "choice driven interactive cinematic storytelling", Ubisoft Quebec is pushing engagement and player decision into every interaction. As such, there are over 30 hours of new dialogue choices in the game, pushing the play time into eye-popping "over 100 hours" territory.

To help flesh out the player-choice mechanic, the team built Alexios and Kassandra with a base personality, rather than creating an empty template. They are both short tempered, passionate, emotional, and occasionally rash people with their own innate drivers baked in. Where you take them from this point is entirely your choice — your Odyssey.

Last edited:

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
Day Zero.

so fuckin pumped, kinda interested in upgrading and instead of getting the standard version I wanna get the one with the statue

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I hecked up and accidentally pressed create thread instead of preview so the OP only had one impression. Please hold.

Luke76bg

Oct 29, 2017
The waves in the beach cut scene are amazing! The best shore that i ever see! But the water is really in that way in gameplay, or it's different in cut scenes ? Someone knows ?

YuriLowell

Oct 26, 2017
I might snag this earlier rather than later now that you can turn off all the stupid waypoints and stuff.

Luke76bg

Oct 29, 2017
At e3 they were quite proud of the improvements they made to their water shader.

it's not only the water shader, it's the waves, seems like geometry deformations when the waves fall on themselves. The most realistic water ocean shore that i ever see in any videogame! If it's really in that way, this is the definitive proof that water can be excellent and with real geometric deformation in any game with enough budget and time, it's no a power problem anymore! Unfortunately only ubisoft managed to get this kind of water in most of their games lately. Others adventures games are really behind in this aspect (shadow of the tomb raider seems to have the same painted waves on the surface like oblivion! A 2006 game! I hate that kind of water with all myself!!!)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like it's sounding good but between Spiderman and Red Dead, I really want to wait till next year to play this. I play way too many open world games as it is, and I poured over 100 hours into Origins.

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
it's not only the water shader, it's the waves, seems like geometry deformations when the waves fall on themselves. The most realistic water ocean shore that i ever see in any videogame! If it's really in that way, this is the definitive proof that water can be excellent and with real geometric deformation in any game with enough budget and time, it's no a power problem anymore! Unfortunately only ubisoft managed to get this kind of water in most of their games lately. Others adventures games are really behind in this aspect (shadow of the tomb raider seems to have the same painted waves on the surface like oblivion! A 2006 game!) I have that kind of water with all myself!!!
Helps that they have an entire studio solely dedicated to working on all things related to water simulation. Here's a video dedicated to naval combat specifically that's a better look at what water looks like in the game:

About when you choose which pc you want, the other is thrown off a cliff and becomes an enemy later.
Ah

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
If they actually improved the writing I might pick this up sooner than I initially planned. I liked Bayek well enough but the main plot still felt like a lot of wasted potential. Interested in what the final reviews have to say for sure.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
sounds better as the weeks go by. can't wait. I have taken the 2nd and 3rd off and will just play this non-stop

Luke76bg

Oct 29, 2017
Helps that they have an entire studio solely dedicated to working on all things related to water simulation. Here's a video dedicated to naval combat specifically that's a better look at what water looks like in the game:

Yes, i guess this explain why it's so good! But i want to see more about the shore specifically, if you find other videos with the beach and the shore, with the character walking in there, please post them! I'm dowloading the 20 min video from youtube so i can watch it without bandwith problems in 4k. I'm so curious of the interaction of the characters in the shore!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, i guess this explain why it's so good! But i want to see more about the shore specifically, if you find other videos with the beach and the shore, with character walking in there, please post them! I'm dowloading the 20 min video from youtube so i can watch it without bandwith problems in 4k. I'm so curious of the interaction of the characters in the shore!

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really does sound like more Origins with even more stuff squeezed in, as is the ubisoft way. Every game has to have more "stuff" to do and find.

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks! Here doesn't seems impressive as the other video posted, i guess this is older footage ? However soon we will discover the truth!
It's all from the same build but different platforms and all that, the videos in the OP are of the PC version apparently maxed out? Unconfirmed if there are more bells and whistles besides resolution.

fdamoreg

Oct 28, 2017
Looking good.

Is the combat more refined? The combat in origin was a step up above the rest of the series, but i find it a little floaty for my taste.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Very excited

I'm so glad they ditched all the shitty AC shit and just turned them into the Witcher, Best decision they ever made.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine this game (like Origins) will be easy to lose yourself in. At least, that's what happened for me. I'm not getting Odyssey day 1, but I am really excited to play it.

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They really want to show more and more of this game, i think there's at least 20 hours of the game in YT.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The MC's movement during combat looks kinda weird, like she's moving in fast motion.

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Looking good.

Is the combat more refined? The combat in origin was a step up above the rest of the series, but i find it a little floaty for my taste.
On a surface level, the combat feels like a refined version of Origins, but on a deeper level, there's a much bigger focus on combat abilities and aggression thanks to the Spear of Leonidas being a PoE. Combat is in general much more aggressive, (both you and the enemies), as you try and manage your adrenaline/abilities.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
I'm assuming a 1080ti was being used for the 4K@60fps video (maybe sli?). Hopefully the CPU won't hit 100% like it does in Origins (on my i5 8600k).

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
yummy i can't wait to sail and swim in the warm clear blue grecian waters!

atlantis DLC should be awesome!

Kratos2013

Jan 25, 2018
This is one of my most wanted games this year. From the settings to the history behind, the new RPG elements and the few gameplay videos I've watched; I cant wait to play the full game. Day one.

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I'm assuming a 1080ti was being used for the 4K@60fps video (maybe sli?). Hopefully the CPU won't hit 100% like it does in Origins (on my i5 8600k).
PC Specs:

Minimum Requirements

OS: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)

Processor: AMD FX 6300 @ 3.8 GHz, Ryzen 3 – 1200, Intel Core i5 2400 @ 3.1 GHz

Video: AMD Radeon R9 285 or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (2GB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0)

Memory: 8GB RAM

Resolution: 720p

Targeted framerate: 30 FPS

Video Preset: Low

Storage: 46GB available hard drive space

DirectX: DirectX June 2010 Redistributable

Sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card with latest drivers

Recommended Specification

OS: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)

Processor: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz, Ryzen 5 - 1400, Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.5 GHz

Video: AMD Radeon R9 290 or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (4GB VRAM or more with Shader Model 5.0) or better – See supported list*

Memory: 8GB RAM

Resolution: 1080p

Video Preset: High

Recommended 4K Configuration

Processor: AMD Ryzen 1700X @ 3.8 GHz, Intel Core i7 7700 @ 4.2 GHz

Video: AMD Vega 64, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (8GB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0)

Memory: 16GB RAM

Resolution: 4K

Video Preset: High

Luke76bg

Oct 29, 2017
It's all from the same build but different platforms and all that, the videos in the OP are of the PC version apparently maxed out? Unconfirmed if there are more bells and whistles besides resolution.

I have the doubt that scene is a cut scene with improved visual, the behaviour of the water in the shore is really too good to my eyes!

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Will keep an eye on the game, that Gaming Trend snippet regarding Exploration Mode and VG27 snippet regarding the open world and choice system seems interesting.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
quickly turning into a day 1, I played Origins and all the dlc recently and loved it, so having just played 80+ hours of AC recently plus the games having a tendancy to drop in price quite fast, I was going to wait on Odyssey but I dont think I cant hold off on the hype, it seems to go even more into the rpg side of things which was what I loved in Origins.

why is it always targeting 30fps?

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Hearing multiple outlets praise the writing is a big relief. It was the only real wild card that could drag things down. So long as the Origins formula is intact, and the writing is good, the game should be really good.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I had fun playing through the demo, even though I had the worst headache that day. Choices really seem to matter, and not all of them seem openly important at first, which can lead to some surprises.

The whole Athens x Sparta thing gives more context to the random stuff you do across the map, which is a huge improvement over Origins.

The naval battles aren't my cup of tea, but the new customization options make they seem way more interesting than they were in any of the games since Black Flag.

Some good story moments as well.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Can't wait to jump in. I'm still not quite finished with Origins, been really taking my time with it. But the whole experience with it has been quite enjoyable. Love what I see so far with Odyssey.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
why is it always targeting 30fps?

Because it lets them reduce the requirements. If they targeted 60 FPS, the requirements would be significantly higher. Is it stupid to target 30 FPS for recommended PC specs? Definitely, but it makes sense from a marketing standpoint.

In any case, I suspect the game will run exactly the same as Origins. It will be pretty demanding on both CPU and GPU if you want 60 FPS.

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to hear positive things about exploration mode and choice
I'm really looking forward to this, gotta make time for it between spider man and tomb raider