• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's shite being Scottish!
We're the lowest of the low!
The scum of the fucking Earth!
The most wretched, miserable, servile, pathetic trash, that was shat into civilisation!

Can't even find a decent culture to be colonised by!

Obviously would be very Scottish to be missed out on the way to Ireland via Norway

Look youse are always welcome in Ireland.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Right into veins. Legion was just okay, but I loved Odyssey so I expect to have great time with Valhalla. Those maps looks real nice.

I hope you like bandit camps!

You know... you could just not do meaningless filler content..?

Even all maps together doesn't look as big as Odysseys map, which is kinda odd. 🤔

Devs have said that this game will have less landmass than Odyssey had, so no surprise there.

DrewyMcK

Nov 5, 2017
Yuuup. I love, love both England and Scotland (haven't been to Wales yet), but landscape-wise, Ireland has to be my favourite place out of all of the UK. Suuuper hyped for Francia as well!
Just to let you know, Ireland isn't part of the UK, and hasn't been for over 70 years (with the exception of Northern Ireland).

Oct 27, 2017
What's 140km squared - about 90-odd square miles?

According to a bit of Googling I found on Den of Geek this is how some other games compare:

Ghost of Tsushima: 11.02 square miles
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt: 20.8 square miles
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: 28.9 square miles

www.denofgeek.com

Ghost of Tsushima Map Size: How Big is the PS4 Game?

Just how big is the map in Ghost of Tsushima? We have the details.

Even just the England area works out to around 75 miles squared, which is close enough to 3x the area of Breath of the Wild. That's so huge. There's no way it will be filled with meaningful or interesting content.

Last edited:

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
That's a lot of Assassin's Creed-ing. Looking forward to it!

Though I just wish England didn't look so...squished haha. East Anglia and Kent don't stick out far enough.

ACVE.jpg

But I am nitpicking. It's not like Egypt or Greece were 1:1 recreations after all.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Yeah, that's a lot of map to explore. Glad they decided to make exploration the main focus of the game and gave us a huge playground to do so.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
That's a lot of Assassin's Creed-ing. Looking forward to it!

Though I just wish England didn't look so...squished haha. East Anglia and Kent don't stick out far enough.

ACVE.jpg

But I am nitpicking. It's not like Egypt or Greece were 1:1 recreations after all.

I wonder if it's a deliberate representation of the kind of squished maps of the time.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
why do they use real measurements like square miles when the maps they're referencing are obviously massively bigger - I mean the UK is maybe 300km north to south on that bit of the map vs 13km in game. I get its compressed because you need to be able to ride a horse across the map in about 30-60 mins but it still seems a bit odd.

CorrisD

Oct 25, 2017
And also, because of the split up maps, it doesn't look big at all to be honest. Even all maps together doesn't look as big as Odysseys map, which is kinda odd. 🤔

This is what I first thought looking at them, there's obviously a lot less water compared to Odyssey which I imagine reduces the overall size a bit. But as a whole it doesn't look as massive as Odyssey was, which isn't a bad thing, there was a lot of Odyssey's map that was entirely pointless, and big cities you'd visit a couple times and then never see again.

Going by the viewpoints though England looks like it will be huge. Disappointed Wales didn't make it in there, we know Vikings settled a bit there but nowhere near the numbers they in England, would have been nice to make an appearance in an AC game though.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't any comment on the game but mostly my own feelings but good lawd those maps made me so tired just to look at it. I don't think I'm gonna hop into this any time soon. Hardly made a dent in Odyssey

KrAzY

Sep 2, 2018
Jeez, I love open world games but ass creed games just get to much, odyssey got me to a point where I just stuck to doing as less as I could til I finished the main story. This is coming from someone who 100% inquisition numerous times and on another play through, same with witcher etc. I like 100%'n them but ass creed games now, just makes me feel exhausted thinking about playing them.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
This isn't any comment on the game but mostly my own feelings but good lawd those maps made me so tired just to look at it. I don't think I'm gonna hop into this any time soon. Hardly made a dent in Odyssey

This is how I felt playing Oddyssey until recently. The opening period of the game felt more of a slog. Then the game opened up and I found myself seeing much more of the map more quickly.

I hope Valhalla doesn't take so long to open up. But even so, not seeing an endless sea of islands doesn't make me feel as fatigued. Really looking forward to Valhalla.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Shame. I was hoping more for a return to the older sizes. Granted I had a feeling this would be even more bloated so haven't looked into it.

Another to skip.

You those into oversized games with the time for them I hope you have a great time

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Will you explore all of them as the story goes? Or the plotline only covers some certain maps only?

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I mean it looks like they're all pretty small other than England. The other maps are like smaller than or comparable to the AC3 ones

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
I'm out, as much as I'd like to see this running I simply don't have time for it. AC Origins took me 2yrs2m to complete the main story!

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Will you explore all of them as the story goes? Or the plotline only covers some certain maps only?

At least in Odyssey there was a lot areas that weren't touched by main story.

I mean it looks like they're all pretty small other than England. The other maps are like smaller than or comparable to the AC3 ones

Streamers have spent 8+ hours in Norway area at start of the game, and still not 100% completed quests etc. from the zone.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Eww. Not interested to explore maps that huge. Might just play through the story and be done with it.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At least in Odyssey there was a lot areas that weren't touched by main story.

Streamers have spent 8+ hours in Norway area at start of the game, and still not 100% completed quests etc. from the zone.

Is it possible to 100 % Norway before moving on? I'm so going to do that if it's possible lol.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Looks incredible, but I'm still a little sad that the west of England and all of Wales isn't DLC. Locations like Tintagel in Cornwall and Snowdonia in Wales would have been awesome to explore in this time period, and would have made the main map absolutely colossal.

Still super hyped, and knowing there will be an Ireland location to explore makes me very excited =)

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
Asgard? o.O (Valhalla is a fantasy game?)

Nevermind, i never played Odyssey and Origins.

Last edited:

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Ubisoft has to have some AI generating all that, crazy that it's all in a relatively short dev cycle.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Is it possible to 100 % Norway before moving on? I'm so going to do that if it's possible lol.
The top part looks very high level content (lvl280) so I doubt it.

Supposedly you can do high power stuff at low power, but need be real good as you die in single hit.

Still there is ton to do in "tutorial zone" / start of the game even without full access to everything and a lot smaller area than e.g. England is.

Asgard? o.O (Valhalla is a fantasy game?)

I take it you haven't played Origin or Odyssey..?

I'm sure its possible to spend 8+ hours on White Orchard as well but that doesnt mean that map is huge

Seems like the reason for not doing all content is level difference more than anything. Theres a freaking level 280 area in that first map

WO is really bad comparison for that kind time spent as you need literally leave game running and idle there to get such hours. Content will run out well before that.

I don't base that "100%" on doing absolute everything as there is high level content, but "Doing everything that is reasonably available to you and meets your power level"

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

I'm sure its possible to spend 8+ hours on White Orchard as well but that doesnt mean that map is huge

Seems like the reason for not doing all content is level difference more than anything. Theres a freaking level 280 area in that first map

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it's a deliberate representation of the kind of squished maps of the time.
Nah, is just game design techniques of when you are trying recreate real locations. They felt that was too long of an area wihtout anything meningful to show gameplay wise, so the "cut it" in this case squished, while still feel somewhat like the real thing.
Nearly all ubisoft games do that.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Supposedly you can do high power stuff at low power, but need be real good as you die in single hit.

Still there is ton to do in "tutorial zone" / start of the game even without full access to everything and a lot smaller area than e.g. England is.
I see, I'll probably wait with those areas then.

How do you know the power level of an area? Do you have to physically reach that area or is the power level visible on the map?

BobsReset

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
Looks like only the South East of England is present? Could have sworn stuff like Stonehenge was going to be in this? Am I misreading the map?

EDIT: Looks like I am misreading! Seems like its just the South West missing from England, I guess Wales and Scotland! (And Ireland) were never gonna be part of it?

ravn0s

Oct 29, 2017
Looks like only the South East of England is present? Could have sworn stuff like Stonehenge was going to be in this? Am I misreading the map?

EDIT: Looks like I am misreading! Seems like its just the South West missing from England, I guess Wales and Scotland! (And Ireland) were never gonna be part of it?

Ireland will be a part of the season pass.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
This is how I felt playing Oddyssey until recently. The opening period of the game felt more of a slog. Then the game opened up and I found myself seeing much more of the map more quickly.

I hope Valhalla doesn't take so long to open up. But even so, not seeing an endless sea of islands doesn't make me feel as fatigued. Really looking forward to Valhalla.

That's how I felt about Origins yeah, and I ended up loving it so much. It's just, going from Origins to Odyssey and then Valhalla, the large maps just become to much for me personally. But yeah I hope it doesn't drag at the start and that you enjoy it!

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Main OT is up for anyone interested!
Keep the spoiler map discussion in here until the game is out for all though.

Let me do a quick and rough outline on a modern map of the UK.

WTnWWPE.jpg

The ingame map is squashed/moved around a little to work for a game but this is pretty much what they're representing in the game.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, is just game design techniques of when you are trying recreate real locations. They felt that was too long of an area wihtout anything meningful to show gameplay wise, so the "cut it" in this case squished, while still feel somewhat like the real thing.
Nearly all ubisoft games do that.

Or in other words - 'Very flat, Norfolk'

Quote from Noel Coward!

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
What's 140km squared - about 90-odd square miles?

According to a bit of Googling I found on Den of Geek this is how some other games compare:

Ghost of Tsushima: 11.02 square miles
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt: 20.8 square miles
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: 28.9 square miles

www.denofgeek.com

Ghost of Tsushima Map Size: How Big is the PS4 Game?

Just how big is the map in Ghost of Tsushima? We have the details.

Even just the England area works out to around 75 miles squared, which is close enough to 3x the area of Breath of the Wild. That's so huge. There's no way it will be filled with meaningful or interesting content.

These comparisons are always tricky because video game scale doesn't adhere to some kind of norm across different games. The way people measure world maps are extremely suspect to say the least and in most cases they are measured by hardcore fans wanting to prove that their favorite game has the biggest number no matter how meaningless that is which means they use the method most favorable to the game they are playing.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I wouldn't be surprised if we get features that are really outside that area.

In the same way the Forza Horizon 4 "best of uk" version of the map works.