• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
I know I started a thread on it, but any thoughts from you guys on Chinese Burn?

Here's the first minute of the pilot.

Hmmm... Remind me of that article about Fresh off the boat where they say the show shouldn't have to represent all of Asian families. At the same time, since there's not much representation of Asians on the screen, all depictions should be careful of how they portray Asian images.

To be honest, I don't like it. I feel they're going for the offensive comedy. At the same time, I can see my friends saying these lines to each other.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the first 20 minutes of it and it's awwwwful, haha.

Oh, this post was from Sunday :(
I watched all 4 hours of it. lol
It's cute. The first one is the more recent one, and it sort of meanders a bit, but it's interesting to hear some banal jokes like the difference between HK heat and Thailand heat, while also some commentary on the current government. The second one focuses more on the relationship with her grandmother (I read on Wikipedia that her mother died of cancer which caused her to try to commit suicide, so I assume the relationship she has with her grandmother is pretty tight) and a lot of "being single at 30" jokes.

I don't want to say it's the greatest stand up, but I've literally never heard Chinese stand up comedy (at least not like the "Western" kind where it's just storytelling), so on that level alone it was worth it. It'd be nice if they added more, but I don't even know how much is out there.

(I would find it funny if I find her specials better than the upcoming Chapelle ones :p)

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Went to Tokyo Disneysea today.

MVIMG_20171228_131433.jpg

Here's a shot of the entrance plaza from the train station.

MVIMG_20171228_135039.jpg

Here's a shot after getting in.

MVIMG_20171228_140022.jpg

Toy Story mochi. It's a neapolitan set: one is filled with chocolate, one vanilla, and one strawberry custard.

MVIMG_20171228_141702.jpg

Seafood pasta set from a restaurant

MVIMG_20171228_131209.jpg

Another shot from the train station

MVIMG_20171228_145441.jpg

Triton's Castle

IMG_20171228_145446.jpg

Not Agrabah. Looks like it, but it's a generic Arabian theme.

MVIMG_20171228_150733.jpg

Unpainted Threepio parts

Overall, the park is like a better put-together version of California Adventure. The theming is on point.

The rides, however, are kind of ass. The waitress are longer, and the rides feel slower. Narration is completely in Japanese.

MVIMG_20171229_014302.jpg

Here's something I got from 7-Eleven just now.

Last edited:

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Hey Asian ERA, came across an interesting article todayand wonder what you thought. If I had to summarize it reductively, it's a rant on the asymmetry of value placed on cultural intellectual property.

Interestingly, I saw Dale speak earlier this month. I didn't know enough about him to ask but I def would have if I knew at the time. Makes me view his presentation in a different light.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
Had some crab with Padang sauce and black pepper. So good. Love the seafood in Asia.

c88a245e-6fbd-4fb6-ad7rsw1.png

28327a04-2489-4401-a5qxsvs.png

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's a Panda Express in Universal Studios that sells sushi but I don't trust it enough to try it. I've been poisoned by seafood before.

Oct 27, 2017
Hello and happy new year, Asian ERA. Indonesian here, currently studying in Austria (there's a number of us here). I've been lurking since GAF and I thought I'd start posting.

I'll be going back to Jakarta for semester break and Saya's pictures have got me thinking about all the stuff I plan on eating. So far I've got:

-Lots of Padang food, obviously. My favorite's gulai otak (brain ...curry, I guess?) but I pretty much like most of what Padang restaurants usually serve.
-Satay. Chicken and lamb.
-Soft bone chicken and/or duck.
-The crispy chicken from Shihlin.
-Pecel lele (catfish)
-Tongseng kambing (a kind of lamb stew)
-Plenty of fish, gourami in particular.
-These Momogi snacks
20170927_11534017pqr.jpg

Also planning to play some maimai a bunch of times. The arcade near my old campus usually keeps their machines online and up-to-date.

Had some crab with Padang sauce and black pepper. So good. Love the seafood in Asia.

Those look delicious. Padang sauce is one of my favorite sauces, along with saos telur asin (salted duck egg sauce).

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
About to head to Asia for 3 and a half weeks!

Taipei, then Manila, then Hong Kong, then Singapore, then Tokyo, then Manila, then Taipei, then back home.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Completely ignorant question...

Visiting the US these days and I wanted to ask. Are the Asian groups/housing areas a mix of different Asian people/first generation/second generation or do the Japanese/Korean/Vietnam etc. Peoples not mix?

I ask this because we stumbled upon a hill to watch fireworks over San Jose and it was 99% Asian, and I could overhear different languages. It was a little like being in the Chinese college back in the UK.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Completely ignorant question...

Visiting the US these days and I wanted to ask. Are the Asian groups/housing areas a mix of different Asian people/first generation/second generation or do the Japanese/Korean/Vietnam etc. Peoples not mix?

I ask this because we stumbled upon a hill to watch fireworks over San Jose and it was 99% Asian, and I could overhear different languages. It was a little like being in the Chinese college back in the UK.
Just depends on where you are, really. Both types of communities exist here.

BladeofAura

Oct 30, 2017
Hello fellow Asians! Asian-American here. I visited Seoul in November and it was great, especially the food! This year I want to go to HK or SG, I don't know which.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Visiting an Asian Market in San Jose and the Manchester anthem plays: https://youtu.be/enDtoyzkdvc

All this food and the Mirin was placed with the Sake :/ I literally got carded for it. They only had fake Plum Wine too, but whatever.

Way larger than what you can get in the UK.

Anyway

IldqHjd.jpg

Food pics incoming!

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
My half-Asian two-year old niece switches between Chinese and English all the time... understanding her is getting quite tricky! D:

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Visiting an Asian Market in San Jose and the Manchester anthem plays: https://youtu.be/enDtoyzkdvc

All this food and the Mirin was placed with the Sake :/ I literally got carded for it. They only had fake Plum Wine too, but whatever.

Way larger than what you can get in the UK.

Anyway

Food pics incoming!

Dude where did you go. I was at Mitsuwa yesterday. It was a madhouse.

I was at Hatcho tonight, dinner with the cousins. Traditional Japanese New Years (osechi) was had by all.

Last edited:

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone wanna link up before I leave on Thursday? I want a good AsAm recommendation.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Oh wow, first meal of the new year.

Partner had this for 2018
1Qk4JEX.jpg

RQ0A24m.jpg

Second is for dogs.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Dude that shit is ballin'. We had Sashimi too, but I ate it before I realized I needed to get pics. Japanese New Year is the best.

I last had this thing 2 years ago as well, and well, I'm not that used to it haha. I just eat the akami and root vegetables.

Last edited:

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
There was alot of food where I went..... I always forget to take pictures, lol. Happy New Years y'all (a day late but whatever).

Farooq

Oct 25, 2017
User warned for insulting users.
Heading to the homeland in June, if everything pans out.

Expect lots of awkward pictures.
You should post it in an Israel thread.

Also, why do you use this thread to post your Israeli propaganda? Is this really the place to show your feelings about an apartheid state? Didn't you make a Jewish thread?

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I have 100 pictures of food from Taiwan.

When I get around to uploading them I will link them here. :D

Oct 28, 2017
You should post it in an Israel thread

The Middle East is included within the ambit of this thread, and I was welcomed here personally. You are the only one who has objected to my presence thus far.

Also, why do you use this thread to post your Israeli propaganda? Is this really the place to show your feelings about an apartheid state?

This is wildly inappropriate (not to mention extremely ignorant, and essentially tantamount to gaslighting).

You have been reported.

Last edited:

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Middle East is included within the ambit of this thread, and I was welcomed here personally. You are the only one who has objected to my presence thus far.

This is wildly inappropriate (not to mention extremely ignorant, and essentially tantamount to gaslighting).

You have been reported.
Uhhh...ok?

You reported an Asian in the Asian OT about wanting to keep the Asian OT Asian/Asian-American/Asian-X/API-centric? Really??

Truth be told, I found it odd that you've been posting stuff about Israel in this thread. No one really responds to those posts. Yeah, we're welcoming and no one person owns this thread all that, but I wouldn't be posting stuff about Spain in the Black OT if you get what I mean. If you don't get me, I'm more than willing to explain. I can't explain why others were silent, but I was being polite and if me and Farooq feel that way, I know there are others, just as I'm sure there are others that disagree with us.

Look, I get that you're just looking for a community and maybe the Israel OT is dead(I haven't checked)? Honestly, I couldn't care less that you post sporadically, but to report someone? Either way, it's a bad look to go into someone's house with your shoes on and then get mad when someone tells you to wear slippers.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Uhhh...ok?

You reported an Asian in the Asian OT about wanting to keep the Asian OT Asian/Asian-American/Asian-X/API-centric? Really??

That's not why I reported him, but ok.

Truth be told, I found it weird that you've been posting stuff about Israel in this thread. No one really responds to those posts. Yeah, we're welcoming and no one person owns this thread all that, but I wouldn't be posting stuff about Spain in the Black OT if you get what I mean. If you don't get me, I'm more than willing to explain. I can't explain why others were silent, but I was being polite and if me and Farooq feel that way, I know there are others, just as I'm sure there are others that disagree with us.

Look, I get that you're just looking for a community and maybe the Israel OT is dead(I haven't checked)? Either way, it's a bad look to go into someone's house with your shoes on and then get mad when someone tells you to wear slippers.

Maybe you don't remember, but the very first thing I asked when I came in here several months ago was "do Middle Easterners count"? I was told "yes" by various people, so I stuck around. If the community in this thread changes its mind, I'll go somewhere else.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Uhhh...ok?

Yeah, we're welcoming and no one person owns this thread all that, but I wouldn't be posting stuff about Spain in the Black OT if you get what I mean. If you don't get me, I'm more than willing to explain. I can't explain why others were silent, but I was being polite and if me and Farooq feel that way, I know there are others, just as I'm sure there are others that disagree with us.

Look, I get that you're just looking for a community and maybe the Israel OT is dead(I haven't checked)? Honestly, I couldn't care less that you post sporadically, but to report someone? Either way, it's a bad look to go into someone's house with your shoes on and then get mad when someone tells you to wear slippers.

I especially agree with your bolded.

As for whether or not the Middle East falls into Asia-- debatable, still. Technically, I think it shares borders with both Asia and Africa (and that's reflected in the people of the countries).

That, however, is different than posts that border on propaganda. I think most of Asian GAF understands there's a frustration with racism that doesn't get taken seriously. Which, TBH, seems to include racism against East Asians, South Asians, Jewish people, Muslim people in Muslim countries, and Palestinians. I understand that this thread is an outlet for people. There's also straight up educational posts which are always appreciated.

But yeah, I don't really get it either. I utilize the ignore button liberally, so it doesn't bother me, but the warning baffled me because I don't see how it is insulting to users. It's not "nice," but last I checked we don't get warned for not using a "nice" tone.

D65

Oct 26, 2017

I'm gunna stick to food pictures.

But after this hot take. British Chinese girl visited Hong Kong recently and found out she can't take real Cantonese food.

Low key insulted my cooking.

Oct 28, 2017
I especially agree with your bolded.

As for whether or not the Middle East falls into Asia-- debatable, still. Technically, I think it shares borders with both Asia and Africa (and that's reflected in the people of the countries).

I think most of Asian GAF understands there's a frustration with racism that doesn't get taken seriously. Which, TBH, seems to include racism against East Asians, South Asians, Jewish people, Muslim people in Muslim countries, and Palestinians. I understand that this thread is an outlet for people. There's also straight up educational posts which are always appreciated.

But yeah, I don't really get it either. I utilize the ignore button liberally, so it doesn't bother me, but the warning baffled me because I don't see how it is insulting to users. It's not "nice," but last I checked we don't get warned for not using a "nice" tone.

I only reported him because he insulted and gaslighted me. No other reason.

But as I said before, if the community in here doesn't want me, I'll go somewhere else. The last thing I want is to insert myself in a space where I'm not welcome. The only reason I stayed is because I was given the ok by various members.

That, however, is different than posts that border on propaganda.

To be perfectly honest, this portion right here sums up the main reason I reported Farooq. I understand that our perspective isn't popular (for various reasons, some of which I've expounded upon in this thread), but dismissing our perspectives and lived experiences as propaganda is very problematic to me. It also implicitly (albeit perhaps unintentionally) draws on ingrained stereotypes of Jewish deceit and media control.

Last edited:

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm gunna stick to food pictures.

But after this hot take. British Chinese girl visited Hong Kong recently and found out she can't take real Cantonese food.

Low key insulted my cooking.

Hey, I'll eat chicken feet and tripe, but I won't eat fried intestines either! :D

Seriously though, are there NO authentic Cantonese joints in the UK? If I couldn't get my roast pork, salted chicken, and roast duck fix, I'd go nuts!

If this is your takeaway, then you obviously didn't read what I wrote. At least not carefully.

Holy crap, I thought I was sensitive. My brother, you have an unpopular stance on the subject and that's fine. Attributing being called out on it to the "hook-nosed lawyers that control the media" stereotype because someone used the word "propaganda" is a bit of a reach imo, but if you're offended by it, better to say why so at least we can understand your sensitivities instead of simply reporting the post to the mods ESPECIALLY when you know that you have an unpopular opinion that's being referenced.

edit: No one is saying that you can't post here or post things that aren't Asian-centric, but it helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pet

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
It's a little incredulous people want to argue that propaganda isn't a real thing. Please come back to reality and look at like any country - US, China, North Korea, Russia, Japan, etc.

*As promised- food pictures. I'll upload them place by place.

This is from the restaurant on the 31st floor of W Taipei. It doesn't have a Michelin star but the chef that runs it does apparently.

Some of the dishes were replated as we ate (they arranged them on smaller dishes to conserve table space after we ate most but not all.) Super impressive. :D

IMG_20171229_125009.jpg

Fried noodle with scallop.

IMG_20171229_122205.jpg

Some sort of mega.. wonton? Dumpling?

IMG_20171229_121248.jpg

Pork, chicken, jellyfish salad (replated). Highly recommend jellyfish!

IMG_20171229_121243.jpg

Pressed pork, mushroom dip with taro.

IMG_20171229_120922.jpg

Taro as pictured,

IMG_20171229_120918.jpg

Their version of Peking duck. Not very good, put too many weird things in it, the sauce was too light. I went to a place with way better Peking duck (but apparently it's a pain in the ass to get in. Have to make reservations on the first of the month, and it fills up quickly.)

Last edited:

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
I think I have trypophobia? Or a cringey reaction to small clusters of holes and things in a bundle, lol. That noodle picture, although it looks delicious, would make me second guess eating it hah!

I'm jelly Pet ! Nice pictures so far.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IMG_20171229_121248.jpg

Pork, chicken, jellyfish salad (replated). Highly recommend jellyfish!

IMG_20171229_121243.jpg

IMG_20171229_120918.jpg

Their version of Peking duck. Not very good, put too many weird things in it, the sauce was too light. I went to a place with way better Peking duck (but apparently it's a pain in the ass to get in. Have to make reservations on the first of the month, and it fills up quickly.)
Now THAT is what I'm talking about! BBQ pork, roast pork, bai ji?, and roast duck. You're keeping it real in Taiwan fo'sho.

Hoisin, scallions, duck, and wrap is all you need for Peking duck. I don't think there's a need to fancy it up or reinvent it imo.