Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
The UI are whatevs, but I am jealous of all the people who will be unboxing xbox series s/x hardware, those just look so nice.

Mukrab

Banned
Apr 19, 2020
the Good thing about PC is that you can have the UI you want. I havent seen the steam UI in months except for when going to the store

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I'm a bit jealous that everything works pretty seamlessly on console. Don't have to download a bunch of launchers, don't have random mini launchers for certain games, everything works 100% with controller, and games generally don't have many problems. Just gotta plug the console in and press a button on the controller and you've got everything you need for gaming.

I'm hoping the Steam BPM UI evolves into something more console like, or they literally make SteamOS into a better console like experience with a controller.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
I know trophies aren't a priority to many people, especially in PC space.

But personally I'd like a more flashy and satisfying way for completed trophies to appear like PS and Xbox does.

So far there's no way to mod it in Steam.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The only downside to PC is that you have to do most of the leg work yourself as far as getting games running, but then you have a much wider breadth of what you actually can play compared to consoles.

Honestly it reminds me of Android VS Apple as far as UI, ease of use and program availability.

Mukrab

Banned
Apr 19, 2020
I know trophies aren't a priority to many people, especially in PC space.

But personally I'd like a more flashy and satisfying way for completed trophies to appear like PS and Xbox does.

So far there's no way to mod it in Steam.
I cam from xbox so i already had a lot of achievements but yeah i will buy a game on the xbox app over steam because of the achievements.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ab1.gif
Join us, OP.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Every time someone talk about "this looks like a decade old interface" I feel at loss. Its all panels since then. What is the difference? A image in the background?

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
I know what you mean OP. I definitely get pangs seeing people posting boxes on Twitter, that's it though. I'm just glad that at long last we have a pretty level playing field and instead of games making concessions for console we'll (certainly early on) have console versions leading the pack over all but a handful of PC gamers.

That said...

d9tMNmw.png

Time for the games to shine!

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Yeah, user experience is one of the reasons why people prefer to play on consoles vs PC, and the user interface you just described is part of that.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
If it's just the UI, I doubt you're missing much. Quick Resume stuff is nice tho and could honestly be done on PC.

Resident Guru

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely spot on. UI and ease if use is way more elegant on console. Once you are in game though that sweet PC performance makes it all worth it.

Jan 10, 2018
Visually there's nothing next-gen about any of the new interfaces, imo. I was really disappionted with them appearance wise. It's just a lot of good functions thrown into a mix of old and new design styles.

I will use suspend mode mostly though so it won't really bother me.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
You literally have hundreds of possibilities to configure it how you want it on PC. From shortcuts, library managers, desktop icons to autostarts. You will always be forced to use exactly what the consoles gives you. I don't see any reason to be jealous here.

Try playnite for starters. It's amazing.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The only downside to PC is that you have to do most of the leg work yourself as far as getting games running
Sorry to pick your comment out specifically, but people keep saying things like this and I don't see it.

In the last year, I had one single game give me issues on PC and that was due to MS launcher/store shenanigans. The vast majority of games in modern PC gaming are as plug and play as console, in my experience at least.

Auto updates via launchers, too. Consoles are definitely more plug and play, but the notion of "leg work" is overblown, imo.

Nov 2, 2017
This is my only issue with PC Gaming. I have Playnite installed on my Desktop (plugged in the TV) so the UI part is fine.

The problem is the lack of optimization of things. Take AC Vallhalha as a recent example. It seems to be such an un-optimized mess on PC. Makes me wonder if it's worth buying a new GPU or a XSX for the same price and run the games as good as on a 3070 which is supposed to be superior.
This is just often a matter of dynamic res + lower settings on consoles compared to ultra settings + native resolution on PC. Of course PC isn't going to look good in that comparison. I'd wait for the DF analysis before making such statements. Also the 3070 isn't that much faster than a XSX.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
This is my only issue with PC Gaming. I have Playnite installed on my Desktop (plugged in the TV) so the UI part is fine.

The problem is the lack of optimization of things. Take AC Vallhalha as a recent example. It seems to be such an un-optimized mess on PC. Makes me wonder if it's worth buying a new GPU or a XSX for the same price and run the games as good as on a 3070 which is supposed to be superior.
Consoles have more than their fair share of performance issues. Obscene load times, laggy menus, unstable frame-rates, graphical quirks like pop-in, etc... I'm hoping much of this is going to be smoothed out with the next gen machines, and that the gap between console and PC actually moves to the point where Console feels more like a step sideways for me. Last gen, even though PC did technically have more hoops, switching between my 2080 based PC and my PS4 felt like a massive downgrade and soured my console experience greatly.

I might be agreeing with you a lot more this gen, that's for sure.

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Consoles have more than their fair share of performance issues. Obscene load times, laggy menus, unstable frame-rates, graphical quirks like pop-in, etc... I'm hoping much of this is going to be smoothed out with the next gen machines, and that the gap between console and PC actually moves to the point where Console feels more like a step sideways for me.Last gen, even though PC did technically have more hoops, switching between my 2080 based PC and my PS4 felt like a massive downgrade and soured my console experience greatly.

I might be agreeing with you a lot more this gen, that's for sure.

Yea, it sucks going back to 30 fps. Last time I bought a ps4 for bloodborne and ended up barely using it, but this go round I will wait for ps5 pro or at least a slim.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, it sucks going back to 30 fps. Last time I bought a ps4 for bloodborne and ended up barely using it, but this go round I will wait for ps5 pro or at least a slim.
For sure. I quit Bloodbourne about 3 hours in (the part with the gun placement on the tower), due to the framerate and pacing issues. I absolutely cannot wait to be playing games like this at 60fps, The fact the DS remaster has 60fps mode bodes well for those kinds of games.

Deleted member 15311

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to pick your comment out specifically, but people keep saying things like this and I don't see it.

In the last year, I had one single game give me issues on PC and that was due to MS launcher/store shenanigans. The vast majority of games in modern PC gaming are as plug and play as console, in my experience at least.

Auto updates via launchers, too. Consoles are definitely more plug and play, but the notion of "leg work" is overblown, imo.
Agree, this year alone and because I'm pretty undecided, have a big backlog and did some improvements to the pc, I've installed, uninstalled, reinstalled more than 15 games, not a single one gave me trouble and one of them is AC unity

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I still like the PC platform a lot more. I get what OP is getting at though.

But I think Big Picture isnt used enough for Valve to bother I guess.

ann3nova.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll admit, there was a minor jealousy creeping up.

BUT then I remembered the Pro versions are on the horizon.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really wish Microsoft would build a stream from pc to xbox app to compete with steam link.

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
Been here since the 90's boss
Then either you've had a ridiculous run of good fortune or you're not telling the whole truth. Like I said, it's something I've gone back and forth with so many times, I probably will again if I build another system down the line. I will say at its best PC gaming experience is far superior.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone mention the Steam phone app? Now that's something from the stone age.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
When it works PC gaming is unrivalled but it very rarely works without issues. Just look at any PC thread about a new release, it's just problem after problem. I've switched to console gaming now 90% of the time and these new consoles are so powerful now its not really a trade off like before.
This has been my stance for a while now. I've dabbled into PC gaming around 2014 or 2015 but it brought me so much headache that now I only occasionally play indies on PC.

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
My plan is to wait till 2022 and hopefully it will be more reasonable to build a next gen PC in terms of price.

Yes... I'm always off the cutting edge anyway, so waiting allows a great build for reasonable money, and great performance. In the mean time a XSX or PS5 with all those BC titles is a fantastic prospect.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I also miss a clean, attractive UI for gaming.

It's such a big thing for me, probably one of the primary selling points for a device is starting to become UX. The more barriers or idiosyncrasy I have to "accept" or develop my own solution around, the less likely I am to engage with a device. Certain aspects of the new machines are appealing - the time to game speed, the multiple sleep copies. Over on Switch, it is the ease of use to swap from portable play to TV play.

I can't see that changing over on PC until Windows itself changes. Preferably to a more standardised iOS type model.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

You don't see it?

Good for you on the bolded cause I had the MS store mess me up with MULTIPLE games, and one in particular was so bad that I had to frigging buy an Xbox to play it until the steam release came out because I was that pissed off with it deleting itself after every update.

In a addition, there are also older games that stop receiving updates to work correctly with upgraded hardware and you have to use janky workarounds/mods to keep playing with them.
Though this is largely because of the one size does not fit all nature of PC that consoles don't have to deal with.

The new I gotta have a launcher hotness+DRM is also a additional layer of stupid console people don't have to deal with and is one of the main reasons I still mess around with having multiple consoles with a gaming PC. While there is a a way around both, that again isn't for the casual user and will take tinkering.

I glad that you had an easy time. But I sure didn't and every single time I did everything I was supposed to do.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You don't see it?

Good for you on the bolded cause I had the MS store mess me up with MULTIPLE games, and one in particular was so bad that I had to frigging buy an Xbox to play it until the steam release came out because I was that pissed off with it deleting itself after every update.

In a addition, there are also older games that stop receiving updates to work correctly with upgraded hardware and you have to use janky workarounds/mods to keep playing with them.
Though this is largely because of the one size does not fit all nature of PC that consoles don't have to deal with.

The new I gotta have a launcher hotness+DRM is also a additional layer of stupid console people don't have to deal with and is one of the main reasons I still mess around with having multiple consoles with a gaming PC. While there is a a way around both, that again isn't for the casual user and will take tinkering.

I glad that you had an easy time. But I sure didn't and every single time I did everything I was supposed to do.
Nope, I don't, and not only that but I've had my fair share of issues like this on console too.

Sorry you had such a rough time, but plenty of us didn't and acting like it is the norm for PC gaming is, imo, disingenuous.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
HzDFFpj.png

best PC UI right here friend, and it's freeeeee

uh just realized they added gamepass pc support as well now

Last edited:

City 17

Oct 25, 2017
On the other hand you can barely do anything on that console UI. The functionality is simply barebones. If you want some option in particular you just have to pray that they'd add it within that 5-6 years cycle, or you're SOL, which is usually the case.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I've never made much use of Big Picture Mode on Steam but since getting an air mouse navigating the desktop in general from the proverbial couch hasn't really been an issue.

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
The last few years I've spent much more time (probably 85%) gaming on PC than on any console, and although I still expect to spend a lot of time gaming on my PC going forward it'll probably be a bit closer to 50% over the next 12 months.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I see where you are coming from, as much as I love my PC and my Switch as my secondary gaming device a pretty UI is something PCs always struggle with unless you go out of your way and set it up yourself.