• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
Not really. Jez said there is noticable lag, but this Ars article clearly doesnt have that.

Also this is still testing the service in perfect conditions.

First you claim he's a fanboy, now you're quoting Jez in order to discount the XCloud service. You change your alliances pretty conveniently huh?

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
1. Don't buy into the hype. We need more testing by hundreds of real users, when open beta comes, before having useful, real-world info.

2. Azure > Google Cloud so I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft beats google at this.

3. Amazon could've been in the picture. Their cloud is still the biggest, followed by Azure.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was with Kyle when he was reviewing his first clip, and he almost put the numbers down as double the "latency" until realizing he'd recorded in 240fps slow-mo, not 120fps. Our jaws both dropped.

Again, yes, we'll see how this all plays out in the wild with more tests on more smartphones/laptops and more software, but it's not like the devices Kyle used were secretly connected with invisible Ethernet adapters. Like, dang, Microsoft.
Could you do the same test with stadia next time you go hands on with it?

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I was with Kyle when he was reviewing his first clip, and he almost put the numbers down as double the "latency" until realizing he'd recorded in 240fps slow-mo, not 120fps. Our jaws both dropped.

Again, yes, we'll see how this all plays out in the wild with more tests on more smartphones/laptops and more software, but it's not like the devices Kyle used were secretly connected with invisible Ethernet adapters. Like, dang, Microsoft.

This needs to be thread marked.
We have someone who was their doing the test no need to speculate for them.
We can just ask them

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Absolutely meaningless. There wont be cloud servers every 400 miles throughout the country with everyone on the best possible connection that exists. Nothing has changed, this is DOA as far as america goes

That's like saying the PS5 and next gen Xbox are DOA in America since a whole lot of American households can't afford to pay $399+ for a game console.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
FWIW, a friend got in 1st on Rayman Legends on Wii U many times on the online leader boards with a TV that had Motion Smoothing on which made it over 100ms. She tried it on the gamepad itself sometimes and got off set since it has much better response time on there (less than HDMI can do btw). So yeah, there it proves you can adapt to it.

Yeah, if the lag is steady and predictable, you can adjust. If it's all over the place, then it gets tricky. Space Channel 5 on DC was fucked for beat timing, but it could still be completed.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Sooo, if this is possible, and Xcloud comes this October, doesn't it make the upcoming consoles less exciting? I wonder what the Teraflop power of Xcloud will be.

Hasn't MS been working on getting servers up and running around the US for a long time? Having 1 in many major cities in the most populous states is a good bet, I'd say.

Even assuming they do, which they wont, internet infrastructure in america is trash. And that applies to landline internet and cellular services. Its slow and unreliable for over 90% of the country. I think spectrum currently has more customers than any other company in america and it probably spends almost as much time down as it does up. And the vast majority of us stuck with it have no better option

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Doesnt 63 ms local input-lag seem like a very big lag? Are there any comparisons?

Based on Digital Foundry data.

IMG-20190611-084953-491.jpg

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Im having hard time understanding this. So the input lag means the total time that is inbetween you pressing a button and the character moving on screen? So the "input lag" consists of atleast your controller's input lag, your screen's input lag (refreshrate), your hardware's lag (frametime) and whatever the streaming causes on top of that.(?)

So if my controller's input lag is 10 ms, screen's is 1 ms (like most monitors seem to have), the game is rendered at 120 fps (ie 8 ms) and streaming causes 10 ms on top of that (im just throwing these numbers out of my ass), does that mean that the over all input lag is 10+1+8+10=29 ms?

Correct, all of the latencies add up. That is why increasing the framerate of the game running in the cloud, can compensate for the network latency.

Last edited:

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
That's like saying the PS5 and next gen Xbox are DOA in America since a whole lot of American households can't afford to pay $399+ for a game console.

You would think that is obvious to anyone that says that cloud services will fail in the US because not everyone has access to the service.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
the fact that halo 5 over xCloud would have less input lag than titanfall 2 local is... remarkable

That's the thing, people need to look at the actual numbers, not all games have the same input lag. What we should start to see in the future are games that are optimized for lower latency. See Call of Duty Infinity warfare for example. A game like Killzone Shadowfall would actually have lower latency than the local version if it would be optimized to run with a 39.3 ms latency like call of duty.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It sounds really ace, but I need to try it myself before I'm a true believer. It'll be crazy if they get it right though.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's the thing, people need to look at the actual numbers, not all games have the same input lag. What we should start to see in the future are games that are optimized for lower latency. See Call of Duty Infinity warfare for example. A game like Killzone Shadowfall would actually have lower latency than the local version if it would be optimized to run with a 39.3 ms latency like call of duty.
The local version would still be lower if they could optimize it to CoD levels.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Those conference conditions are always perfect for pretty much everything you are showing. And why wouldnt they Be, because people are getting their first experiences for stuff there.

You may be confusing a stage show with the show floor. The show floor tends to be a nightmare for wireless networking. They try to keep things as simple/smooth as possible, but the density of people and devices pulling from the same pool of networks isn't ideal.

Absolutely meaningless. There wont be cloud servers every 400 miles throughout the country with everyone on the best possible connection that exists. Nothing has changed, this is DOA as far as america goes

The US is "only" ~2500 miles wide, and the current density of data centers puts most potential users within a 400 mile (or less) range, because of how population centers work. It's more practical than you might think, even for a geographically challenging territory like NA. Microsoft having based their service business off Azure infrastructure for so long puts them in a good place to deliver on this in the current landscape, and a lot of the local infrastructure development pushed by companies like Amazon for their own purposes have made a big difference.

Last edited:

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Controlled (press event!) environment and not available for any public use, I'm gonna need to see some real-world scenarios before I start accepting stats and benchmarks

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Lmao at the amount of people drinking the kool aid.
I'm ready to eat crow whenever you want (spoilers: i won't) but all this downplaying of controlled environment is remarkable.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
The local version would still be lower if they could optimize it to CoD levels.

You can see examples of games running at 120fps like Fortnite and or PUPG on Geforce Now to reduce latency, that is not possible on consoles. Even if it were the case that the same optimization could be applied locally, at that point we would be talking about a game with a more than acceptable latency for millions. You can imagine the number of people that say that they would never play a cloud game because of the latency and right after that they go and play/enjoy an online match of Killzone Shadowfall. That is the main point of my example.

Last edited:

SublimeAnarky

Oct 27, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
This sounds incredible! Wonder where Jez picked up on that lag from. I'm sure that while there will be user experience in a beta that shows a degree of variability, the fact that they could also offer documented experiences like what Ars reports - has to mean that they've figured some critical parts of the streaming landscape out.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I got to try this out last night with Halo and was very impressed. I mean i was also thinking well this was a controlled environment so it's not like they are going to show it off broken lol. I did overhear that the same tech used by their azure servers is the same that will run on our consoles to stream. So I imagine technically you can set up your own controlled environment and make it as fast as you want with your own internet. I know this is old news with PS4 and others but if there really is some secret sauce behind this that's real it could be the leap it needs.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I got to try this out last night with Halo and was very impressed. I mean i was also thinking well this was a controlled environment so it's not like they are going to show it off broken lol. I did overhear that the same tech used by their azure servers is the same that will run on our consoles to stream. So I imagine technically you can set up your own controlled environment and make it as fast as you want with your own internet. I know this is old news with PS4 and others but if there really is some secret sauce behind this that's real it could be the leap it needs.

I can't say I would consider an E3 showfloor really a controlled environment. A controlled environment is in a conference room/lab in Redmond, Washington. At E3 they're subject to network traffic that they can't account for along with having a pretty high amount of devices connecting through the same network.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I can't say I would consider an E3 showfloor really a controlled environment. A controlled environment is in a conference room/lab in Redmond, Washington. At E3 they're subject to network traffic that they can't account for along with having a pretty high amount of devices connecting through the same network.

Absolutely what was shown off should not be brushed off by anyone just because it was at e3, but I also can't blame anyone for being skeptical until they see it work on their own network and device. The big impression here is that when I played Halo I didn't get the feeling I was playing at a disadvantage and that's an impression to build upon for me.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

This. Worked at many a conferences and for every one of them connection speed is always an issue.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely what was shown off should not be brushed off by anyone just because it was at e3, but I also can't blame anyone for being skeptical until they see it work on their own network and device. The big impression here is that when I played Halo I didn't get the feeling I was playing at a disadvantage and that's an impression to build upon for me.

Absolutely. The October launch of the public preview of both the in home console streaming and xCloud should really be insightful to see how various network setups handle it.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I sensed that Stillwell wasn't satisfied, and he suddenly made a suggestion. He got the attention of one of the demo workers and asked them to unplug one of the units and put it back on Wi-Fi. He was taking a risk. Interesting!

I was handed an untethered phone-controller combo running Halo 5. No Ethernet cable, just Wi-Fi in a room no doubt still full of signals from nearby reporters walking around with mobile hotspots.

The result? Halo 5 ran fine. I tried it for a couple of minutes. It was mostly smooth. I saw a framerate hitch or two but was largely fine running around, shooting and swinging an energy sword. At one point, the graphics got blotchy, but they snapped back to a clear resolution.

I handed the unit back. I'd had the experience I had expected from the get-go. It ran well enough that the tech seems viable to me as a way to check in on a game when I'm not near my console. It didn't run so well that I'm ready to throw my console out and just play games this way. And it all happened in an unusual setting that is nothing like where I normally play games, so I can't really judge it. I also can't tell what I'd think of this service if it cost a lot of money or if it was a free service or perk of Xbox Live Gold or what.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have like 100 down at home on WiFi. I really don't care what the connection is like when there's like 20 journalists connected to this on the floor. People keep saying it's not normal conditions and I'm like....yeah no shit if anything it should work way better in the comfort of your own home.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
I wish that there was more science on how lag in video games actually interacts with our reflexes, which have their own set of lag, and our brains, which are constantly behind, and constantly making predictions about the future to make up for it. (When you're moving at a walking pace, your brain is about 10cm behind you -- it's a miracle that we don't bump into stuff more than we do.)
Is there an article about this brain thing?

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Can't wait to stream my games on the go this fall! Gears 5 while on the road traveling is going to be so good

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
Tested this yesterday playing halo 5 and forza. It felt amazing and didn't really notice any latency problems. Really excited for more testing in October and curious about the pricing details. Its really good

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

What America do you live in? Because there are already cloud servers all up and down both coasts, where most people live, in the U.S. Thinking this is DOA is some wishful thinking, this stuff is going to be pretty popular next gen and perfectly accessible to millions and millions of people.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Can you provide his original video file? Because There is approximately zero chance the game was actually streamed from SF while only adding 4ms. xCloud doesn't use any code changes. That 4ms would have to include input travelling 400m to the server, frame rendering on a One S, video compression, a 400m trip back to LA, and video decompression.

It is far, far more likely the video was actually 120fps, and he did the math assuming 240fps. That or some other error in deteermining which button press cause which action.