• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I have been told like 10 times in this thread that they are only allowed time off after they deliver everything, not straw manning anything, people bare literally advocating that this person is not to rest until the job is done and to hell with anything else until then.

Hope alot of people in here aren't in charge of people at work, would be insufferable bosses lol.
Usually if you get quoted 10+ times you've probably said something dumb 🤷🏻‍♂️

ColdDeckEd

Jul 25, 2018
Fuck people, only the deadline matters, crunch until it's done, no time off, no rest, only work.

I've worked shit jobs like that before, they are miserable and shouldn't exist, workers are people and deserve respect and time off.

This isn't life saving medicine, or food for the starving, it's IKEA furniture and kitchen junk they have been without for a month, another couple days isn't going to kill anyone.

This is the middle of winter in upstate NY. So yea they might actually freeze to death.

Dec 22, 2017
Fuck people, only the deadline matters, crunch until it's done, no time off, no rest, only work.

I've worked shit jobs like that before, they are miserable and shouldn't exist, workers are people and deserve respect and time off.

This isn't life saving medicine, or food for the starving, it's IKEA furniture and kitchen junk they have been without for a month, another couple days isn't going to kill anyone.
"shouldn't exist" 🙄

I worked shit jobs like this too. Moving furniture, construction, kitchen work. It's grueling but usually paid more money and involved less interaction with people than other shit jobs, so I was fine doing it. People will always need furniture moved, so really curious to hear what the alternative would be.

And as I stated earlier, every moving company I have ever worked with was a 5 day a week company, since most people want to move on saturdays, with weekends being a day on and random days like tues/weds being when they get off. If the delivery was scheduled Sunday that is probably a normal workday for the driver.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
This is the middle of winter in upstate NY. So yea they might actually freeze to death.

They weren't delivering a damn heater lol, not going to die in an empty heated house. Trust me it was like -20 this morning and I was laying on the floor playing with my dogs, far from dead.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Makes me wonder how many of the people downplaying this still live with their parents.
Yep, this is ridiculous. Family with 2 kids not having their possessions for a month and then more over things are missing and what they hone in is that the woman wasn't justified in tracking her belongings?!

This must be coming from folks without kids and also those who really havent had any issues with movers. Movers suck. Every single time I have moved I have had issues.

Oct 25, 2017
Once again, you're missing the point. As someone who sets the deadline, it's their responsibility to set a realistic delivery date WITH breaks included. This driver (or company) didn't do that. If there is a change or additional break time needed, it is something that should be communicated. The driver didn't do that. You're strawmannirg with "I GUESS HE SHOULDNT SLEEP PISS OR SHIT JUST WORK WORK WORK". Literally no one is saying that. Communicate and plan a realistic deadline WITH breaks included. Update and be upfront. Either the company or the driver both failed to plan with a realistic delivery date or with honesty concerning the reason for the delays. You're doing a job, not dropping off your buddy's Playstation next time you're in town- keeping your client in the loop with the service they paid for is not some draconian shit.
I feel like people are getting the wrong idea. Or maybe I am haha.

It seems that she was told it would take a month to get there, not that it had been delayed by a month after they paid.
I'm seeing this now which makes it much less severe. My argument still stands to give realistic deadlines for yourself and the client that include enough break time/work time. And if something were to come up and you needed more time off, communicate it- you owe to your client to be honest so they don't feel like they have to resort to tracking you with devices like these.

Hairtux

Oct 25, 2017
It's actually kind of blowing my mind right now that moving company location data isn't already available as a perk or benefit. Pay extra to get tracking information to know where your stuff is at all times? Some of these companies have to have lo-jack or other GPS tech in their trucks already for insurance purposes, I imagine. Seems like something a bigger moving company with a lot of national coverage would have been doing years ago and makes me wonder if companies like the ones who rent out the "Pods" shipping containers have tracking in them.

Some of them do offer tracking as standard. My wife and I have moved across the country multiple times and we only use ones that have truck tracking.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
If you are taking time off from work, why are you taking the work with you and holding onto it, instead of leaving it in the hands of the work so that they can give it to an employee who isn't on time off?

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston

apparently, you are 15 because you seem to be unfamiliar with how customer service jobs work. Not to mention you keep arguing things no one has argued for.

ColdDeckEd

Jul 25, 2018
They weren't delivering a damn heater lol, not going to die in an empty heated house. Trust me it was like -20 this morning and I was laying on the floor playing with my dogs, far from dead.

No just their warm clothes... How do u know the heat was on? Or their electric? What if they didnt have an appointment to turn them on till monday and have no money to stay in a hotel?

Sirhc

Oct 27, 2017
Once again, you're missing the point. As someone who sets the deadline, it's their responsibility to set a realistic delivery date WITH breaks included. This driver (or company) didn't do that. If there is a change or additional break time needed, it is something that should be communicated. The driver didn't do that. You're strawmannirg with "I GUESS HE SHOULDNT SLEEP PISS OR SHIT JUST WORK WORK WORK". Literally no one is saying that. Communicate and plan a realistic deadline WITH breaks included. Update and be upfront. Either the company or the driver both failed to plan with a realistic delivery date or with honesty concerning the reason for the delays. You're doing a job, not dropping off your buddy's Playstation next time you're in town- keeping your client in the loop with the service they paid for is not some draconian shit.

I'm seeing this now which makes it much less severe. My argument still stands to give realistic deadlines for yourself and the client that include enough break time/work time. And if something were to come up and you needed more time off, communicate it- you owe to your client to be honest so they don't feel like they have to resort to tracking you with devices like these.

The deadline being off sucks, this was almost certainly the company who set that delivery date so the driver would just be trying to meet it.

And certainly communication could be better, that's not my issue at all, it people trying to argue that the driver shouldn't rest until the job is done that are my problem.

I couldn't care less about any of the parties involved in this story, I've got no skin in the game. My only concern is that disregard some people have for basic workers rights, especially in an industry that has struggled with this issue for decades.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
apparently, you are 15 because you seem to be unfamiliar with how customer service jobs work. Not to mention you keep arguing things no one has argued for.

They also don't understand what taking time off means in the context of a job. As evidenced by the fact that they are incorrectly framing this as "an employee taking time off", and not "an employee no-showed to a job that their employer scheduled them for"

Sirhc

Oct 27, 2017
No just their warm clothes... How do u know the heat was on? Or their electric? What if they didnt have an appointment to turn them on till monday and have no money to stay in a hotel?

They've been there a damn month from the sound of this story lol, they have clothes and utilities.

Oct 25, 2017
My only concern is that disregard some people have for basic workers rights, especially in an industry that has struggled with this issue for decades.
Not that there aren't people out there like that, there certainly are. But I haven't really seen any responses on here arguing the above. I doubt anyone would take the side of the woman had the article been "Exhausted truck driver asked for delay to rest, woman reports him for being late".

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I'm trying to figure out what her husbands career has to do with this. Army spouse is a really odd way to describe a human who presumably lives her own life.
Because army families move a lot. And you can end up in a new place without your shit and sleeping on the floor, no pots or pans to cook with, no clothes, etc.

Some of y'all are on some bullshit with these responses. If you pay for something and it's supposed to be delivered within a certain time frame then it should be delivered in that time frame. We're not talking about a pizza being 15 minutes late here. If you're paid to do a job with specific terms then you fucking do the job. If you can't do the job in the specified time then you COMMUNICATE and set new expectations. You don't fucking lie like this guy did.

Some of the responses here look like y'all just read fight club for the first time and spent the last week on r/antiwork. This situation doesn't look like someone being unreasonable and abusing a worker. Cmon son.

Last edited:

Sirhc

Oct 27, 2017
They also don't understand what taking time off means in the context of a job. As evidenced by the fact that they are incorrectly framing this as "an employee taking time off", and not "an employee no-showed to a job that their employer scheduled them for"

This isn't about a local delivery no show, this is a cross country haul, you do realize that the driver was likely on working for days straight hauling, hell he might not have even been able to legally drive due to wheel time restrictions.

ColdDeckEd

Jul 25, 2018
This isn't about a local delivery no show, this is a cross country haul, you do realize that the driver was likely on working for days straight hauling, hell he might not have even been able to legally drive due to wheel time restrictions.

Yet he committed himself to driving from Colorado to New York in 1 day.

There's a name for misrepresenting yourself when it comes to business, that name is fraud. The real question is why do you believe consumers don't deserve protection from fraud.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Dude got caught LYING. How do you explain that? "I just picked your stuff up in Colorado!" "We know you're in New Jersey."

Nobody out there is like "OH MY BAD COLORADO AND JERSEY SURE DO LOOK SIMILAR SO I GOT CONFUSED!"

Clay

Oct 29, 2017

If he was legally prevented from driving, why lie? Why not just tell the customer "Hey, I'm sorry for the inconvenience but I've been driving nonstop for x hours and I legally can't go further"?

ColdDeckEd

Jul 25, 2018
Dude got caught LYING. How do you explain that? "I just picked your stuff up in Colorado!" "We know you're in New Jersey."

Nobody out there is like "OH MY BAD COLORADO AND JERSEY SURE DO LOOK SIMILAR SO I GOT CONFUSED!"

Telling white lies to customers is acceptable if they're being "pushy", especially if all they are waiting for is "kitchen stuff".

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
the delivery was originally supposed to occur after about a month, on Friday, Jan. 7. the moving company missed the friday delivery and told the family the delivery was pushed back to Sunday, Jan. 9. right after the moving company said this, the driver told the family actually no, the earliest i can do is is Monday, Jan 10, because I just picked up the goods in Colorado. after being confronted with his lies, the driver conceded that he would actually be able to do sunday like his company had said.

so, couple things:
the moving company didn't actually seem to know where their driver was
the driver lied to the family to push back delivery one day, from sunday to monday, because he was in NJ at the time, not CO. quite a big difference. if there's a delay, fine, it happens. the family wasn't gonna die from having their stuff 1 day later after already waiting for a month. however, if there's an extra day of delay caused entirely by you because you're just dicking around to go see someone en route, then you're simply shit at your job and dishonest to boot.

i don't see how the family did anything wrong.

Jun 20, 2019
Moving companies in the US are some shady shit. There are regulatory agencies at the federal level that supposedly work to hold movers accountable but they are toothless, doing little more than hosting poorly-maintained websites. States lack power to regulate the industry or punish bad actors in many cases because of interstate commerce making this a federal issue, which… see above.

This driver reportedly told the customer he "picked up her items in Colorado": this is bizarre. Interstate movers do not operate this way, there usually isn't a single driver taking your shit cross country. Instead, the moving company contracts out to a wide network of subcontractors, and those subcontractors run the gamut from "forthright, long established businesses" to "fly-by-night operations that might go bankrupt tomorrow" to "literally a mob front".

So while the truck (if it's a truck move) doesn't change, the driver will. Frequently. Maybe every few hundred miles; these can be day jobs, with people sticking to their 14-hour FMCSA working limit and going home every night, which means they'll drive 4 hours if so with one truck, stop at a depot, then get an assignment to drive 4-6 hours back the other way and go home to sleep.

This particular driver probably never went to Colorado. It would be shocking if he did. He probably got this truck from a depot in New Jersey, where he lived. He probably was supposed to drive the half-day to upstate New York, drop it off at a depot, then come back.

The unknown is whether the driver was shirking responsibilities or if he was overburdened by an excessive schedule that his employers set him. If dude hadn't had a break in a week it's hard to fault him, particularly after the "umbrella" moving company and the local subcontractor (his employer) threw him under the bus by giving his number to the customer. If he was at/near his weekly FMCSS legal limit it could have been illegal to make the delivery until his hours reset.

This isn't a customer facing job. He shouldn't have had to talk to her and make excuses, assuming he is an employee driver and not an owner-operator.

But all of this is speculation about the employer-employee relationship. In truth we don't know how his schedule looked or how far he had taken these goods. That's why…

If you're going to be mad at someone, if you're going to rake someone over the coals, IT SHOULD BE THE MOVING COMPANY. That's who you have s contract with, that's who you paid money to, that's who is supposed to be in the business of coordinating cross-continental logistics.

Sirhc

Oct 27, 2017
If he was legally prevented from driving, why lie? Why not just tell the customer "Hey, I'm sorry for the inconvenience but I've been driving nonstop for x hours and I legally can't go further"?

It's alot easier to explain distance to someone then complex labor laws? Or maybe he just had some days off? People tell white lies like that all the time because it's easier to explain, especially to customers who might demand more otherwise.

Like I've said, I don't give a crap about any of these parties involved, just about people getting time off they deserve which being that the dude was at a lady friend's place he was probably on some time off.

Maybe he wasn't and was just fucking off on the clock and he's an asshole, who knows, but I normally ere towards not assuming something malicious in most cases.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
This is the most Era thread in months lol

The family did nothing wrong. The driver and the company are at fault.

ColdDeckEd

Jul 25, 2018
Maybe he wasn't and was just fucking off on the clock and he's an asshole, who knows, but I normally ere towards not assuming something malicious in most cases.

That's fine, but in my opinion lying indicates malicious intent.

You act like he was for sure going to be there on Monday, but what if he wanted to take another detour? If they don't call him out, its highly likely (judging by this guys character) he isn't there by Monday either.

Last edited:

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
It's alot easier to explain distance to someone then complex labor laws? Or maybe he just had some days off? People tell white lies like that all the time because it's easier to explain, especially to customers who might demand more otherwise.

Like I've said, I don't give a crap about any of these parties involved, just about people getting time off they deserve which being that the dude was at a lady friend's place he was probably on some time off.

Oh, I see. You have a list of concerns that have nothing to do with the story in the OP that you're trying to relate to it anyway.

You're doing a lot more than "not assuming something malicious, lol, you're bending over backwards to explain away any and all reasons the driver might be at fault.

You look up "Occam's Razor," I think it'll help simplify your thought process a bit. I agree it's technically the possible that the driver couldn't make the delivery because of legal reasons, or he was promised days off that the woman was forcibly keeping him from taking. It's also possible he's actually a spy and had to go a secret mission to protect the life of an ambassador (which would explain why he had to lie). Maybe he was abducted by aliens and couldn't tell the real reason for the delay for fear of not being believed.

Or maybe he'd rather hang out with his girlfriend than work and thought he could get away with it since he was unaware the customer knew his location. Which of these scenarios sounds most likely? 🤔🤔🤔

This is the most Era thread in months lol

The family did nothing wrong. The driver and the company are at fault.

To be fair it's mostly Sirhc acting like the driver did a normal, excusable thing, not the thread as a whole.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
It's also possible the moving company is over working the guy and he didn't want to deal with the bullshit of having to do a weekend move after being overworked all week as well. I'm not sure its entirely on the driver but that's obviously pure speculation.

Sirhc

Oct 27, 2017
That's fine, but in my opinion lying indicates malicious intent.

Clients get fed white lies like that all the time honestly, it's alot easier to frame things in simple terms for a delay then to try and explain alot more in depth industry specific issues. Nothing that was stated in the story feels malicious at all from any party, just some unfortunate circumstances.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Page 6 and people are still inventing narratives for the driver to absolve their shitty behavior.

By the end of the thread he'll have diverted to spend time with his "lady" who is probbly his mother who is dying of cancer, therefore what they did is A OK

ColdDeckEd

Jul 25, 2018
Clients get fed white lies like that all the time honestly, it's alot easier to frame things in simple terms for a delay then to try and explain alot more in depth industry specific issues. Nothing that was stated in the story feels malicious at all from any party, just some unfortunate circumstances.

I imagine this is the thinking of alot of cops.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
100%. This is very Era behavior lol, blindly pointing to "workers rights" or some shit without even a shred of critical thinking.
Don't get me wrong like 90% of the time it's usually a customer being a Karen or a company treating their employees like crap so I get siding with the worker, but in this case it is 100% on the guy and the company.

The woman did nothing wrong by trying to track her belongings and didn't just immediately creep on the guy. She only called him on his bullshit after she suspected something was wrong and he straight up lied to her.

To take the side of the guy here is so weird.

Oct 25, 2017
Movers defense force. Just wild.

I'm 100% with the client on this, its a great idea. I've had stuff in limbo for more than a month and then delivered with things missing. Cross country moves, hopefully never again.

Dec 22, 2017
Moving companies in the US are some shady shit. There are regulatory agencies at the federal level that supposedly work to hold movers accountable but they are toothless, doing little more than hosting poorly-maintained websites. States lack power to regulate the industry or punish bad actors in many cases because of interstate commerce making this a federal issue, which… see above.

This driver reportedly told the customer he "picked up her items in Colorado": this is bizarre. Interstate movers do not operate this way, there usually isn't a single driver taking your shit cross country. Instead, the moving company contracts out to a wide network of subcontractors, and those subcontractors run the gamut from "forthright, long established businesses" to "fly-by-night operations that might go bankrupt tomorrow" to "literally a mob front".

So while the truck (if it's a truck move) doesn't change, the driver will. Frequently. Maybe every few hundred miles; these can be day jobs, with people sticking to their 14-hour FMCSA working limit and going home every night, which means they'll drive 4 hours if so with one truck, stop at a depot, then get an assignment to drive 4-6 hours back the other way and go home to sleep.

This particular driver probably never went to Colorado. It would be shocking if he did. He probably got this truck from a depot in New Jersey, where he lived. He probably was supposed to drive the half-day to upstate New York, drop it off at a depot, then come back.

The unknown is whether the driver was shirking responsibilities or if he was overburdened by an excessive schedule that his employers set him. If dude hadn't had a break in a week it's hard to fault him, particularly after the "umbrella" moving company and the local subcontractor (his employer) threw him under the bus by giving his number to the customer. If he was at/near his weekly FMCSS legal limit it could have been illegal to make the delivery until his hours reset.

This isn't a customer facing job. He shouldn't have had to talk to her and make excuses, assuming he is an employee driver and not an owner-operator.

But all of this is speculation about the employer-employee relationship. In truth we don't know how his schedule looked or how far he had taken these goods. That's why…

If you're going to be mad at someone, if you're going to rake someone over the coals, IT SHOULD BE THE MOVING COMPANY. That's who you have s contract with, that's who you paid money to, that's who is supposed to be in the business of coordinating cross-continental logistics.
This is a really good post. I will add though that when my friends moved from Canada to Seattle they had a single point of contact that supervised the counts while loading and offloading, and who was in regular contact with them. 90% of the actual transit was done by third parties like you said, but he was there for at least the beginning and end of the journey. I only know this because I met the guy at their storage bin and he explained how it all worked and I was pretty surprised. This is probably more expensive than what the army shells out for though.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I really don't think it's justifiable to track someone unsuspectedly even if you suspect they aren't doing their job properly...

I legitimately don't know where I fall on the matter and I agree with what you've said,

but then there's a part of me that's like... "but all my stuff tho. I might track my stuff if I don't trust the person transporting it..."