Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
People like to promote Marina but there's no way she'd get in without Pearl and unfortunately any use of the pair would overly emphasize Pearl in part because she's far and away the more popular of the two. Which completely sucks because Marina is best girl.

I like the Octoling suggestions more though.
Hey, don't hate on Pearl because she is perfect

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Elma is that good for representation since that's only a disguise and her true form is whiter than white.

KOS-MOS is the opposite: a POC that was made white.
I'm aware of Elma's secret, as unfortunate as it is, but if that's not good enough, then my last hope is Shantae, who has a 2% chance of getting in, 2 being the number of spirits her series has in Ultimate (herself and Risky Boots).

KnMAvIn.png

Shantae is my dream pick.

OP
OP
Empyrean Cocytus

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I'm aware of Elma's secret, as unfortunate as it is, but if that's not good enough, then my last hope is Shantae, who has a 2% chance of getting in, 2 being the number of spirits her series has in Ultimate (herself and Risky Boots).

KnMAvIn.png

Shantae is my dream pick.

To be fair, with Min Min's inclusion now putting all the characters already in the game as spirits back into the discussion, Shantae became a lot more likely.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
She's weird for me. She looks fun to play to me, and I'll probably use her quite a bit, but she also looks dull as hell lol. Her playstyle is interesting in terms of creativity for sure though.
I'm more excited about Vault Boy tbh.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Didn't even think about those stereotypes, Min Min even falls into two of them.
In some fairness, Min Min is a fighting game character, so the fact that she's a martial artist is just kind of a natural consequence of the setting and she doesn't stick out amongst the cast for that reason. It is true about the food association though, I hadn't thought about that before.
What would she do that the Inklings don't already cover?
I'll spare the long details here but back when Smash Ult was first coming out I put together an entire potential moveset for Agent 8, the lead character of the Octo Expansion, normals, specials, grabs, the whole works. There are a ton of weapons and abilities in Splatoon and S2 that aren't covered in Inklings and gives tons of potential for a different playstyle:
E-liter (she even wields it with her amiibo!), Curling bomb, splat brella, splat dualies (useful for dodge rolls too), octobrush, suction bombs, inkjet, splashdown, luna blaster (I made this their down air--meteor potential if you land a direct hit!), the list can go on and on if you want it to.

Like I said before, folks who think Agent 8/Octoling/Marina would have to be an Inkling echo are really just not thinking about it very much. I think if Marina were made playable it would be along with Pearl as an Off the Hook duo character but I think that would still count pretty well.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, with Min Min's inclusion now putting all the characters already in the game as spirits back into the discussion, Shantae became a lot more likely.

Personally, I just don't see why she'd be made playable while other, more popular indie series like Shovel Knight, Undertale and Cuphead could only get assist trophies or Mii outfits.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Just caught up with the presentation - it's really cool how he translates ARMS to Smash!
Almost every song too. Really nice!
It's interesting that they didn't launch this as a shadow drop as one week away seems a little arbitrary, but it's surely worth the wait.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
In some fairness, Min Min is a fighting game character, so the fact that she's a martial artist is just kind of a natural consequence of the setting and she doesn't stick out amongst the cast for that reason. It is true about the food association though, I hadn't thought about that before.

Min Min is still a a stereotypical kung fu user, as seen by the kick attacks and posing that only she has.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
There aren't many martial artists (at least in the traditional sense) in ARMS though.

Status
Not open for further replies.