• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Disney bought Marvel a decade ago and people were pretty worried how they may or may not change these characters and stories going forward. Do you approve or not approve of how the Marvel brand has progressed over time?

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The mad lads brought Guardians of the Galaxy into actual theaters and brought them into the cultural consciousness. It's easy to take that for granted now but that achievement alone is incredible.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda crazy what they've managed to pull off. An interconnected web of movies and shows that crossover with each other and reference events that occurred elsewhere, creating the illusion of a cohesive world that people actually live in. This is especially true since they started putting material on Disney+. Far From Home kinda brushed over the whole Blip thing but, thanks to the shows on Disney+, we know just how much that affected everything.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I didn't like having Spiderman' story revolve around Iron Man and other paternal figures. He now is "Tony Stark's lil bitch". I think that in 4 movies + Endgame he says "mr. Stark" almost a hundred times.

I always saw him as an indipendent strongwilled kid/man... now he is a petulant appendix.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
You might disagree with some interpretations and adaptations of stuff, but I think most Marvel fans are very, very happy. You're seeing stuff on screen that would have been unthinkable a decade back.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
This has to be one of the best IP acquisitions of all time in any medium. They took Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and turned them into some of the most recognized characters of our time.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Yeah extremely, I don't remember when the deal happened but I doubt I would've been pissed. Knowing in the internet I'm sure there was a loud crowd that though Mickey would show up and beat up The Punisher or something.

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
Are we talking about the MCU or comics or both? Honestly I'm just getting back into comics after falling behind about 10ish years ago? I absolutely love the movies and shows but I don't know much about the current era of comics.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
MCU is the best marvel has been. Glad that their Disney shows are delivering for me as well.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
The maniacs made Rocket Raccoon and Groot household names. I'm a huge nerd and even I didn't know who Rocket was when he was announced as a character for Marvel vs Capcom 3.

Now there's a Guardians of the Galaxy ride in Disneyland and another different GOTG ride opening at Walt Disney World.

So yeah, small quibbles aside, Disney has been pretty damn good for Marvel.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
It somehow keeps getting better and better. I hope this next phase continues that trend, but the MCU has to peak at some point, right?

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't like having Spiderman' story revolve around Iron Man and other paternal figures. He now is "Tony Stark's lil bitch". I think that in 4 movies + Endgame he says "mr. Stark" almost a hundred times.

I always saw him as an indipendent strongwilled kid/man... now he is a petulant appendix.

I don't either, but I wonder how much of that was tied up in the Fox license. ie: Disney wanted to make Spidey their "bitch". They probably don't treat Spidey that way if they had the license from the start.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
I grew up reading spider-man (can't forget the dash) and doctor strange. Cant wait for the new movie.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with a peak of Infinity War and epilogue of EndGame, if it gets even better with the next phase - awesome - if it gets worse, I'll have a fantastic collection of 22 movies, of which at least 10 are eminently rewatchable to be happy with forever.

Its definitely destroyed a big chunk of the Hollywood machine, between the need for cinematic universes/franchises, Superhero movies taking over theaters, the creep into merchandising/streaming/theme parks/etc, but its not like Hollywood was cranking out 10/10 amazing movies before MCU so forcing creative people who hate superhero movies to respond with something better (or different) is fine with me.

The only minor blip I'm sad about is probably the death of mid budget comedy movies, they sorta vanished and almost always do poorly if released to theaters, unlike say horror movies.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've never really cared for Marvel until the MCU and I only got into it around Ragnarok/Infinity War. I've now seen these films like 5 times or more each, watched the shows and will watch all of them as they release. Between me and my wife we've ended up with a pretty big collection of merch and can't wait for Avengers Campus in Paris and will be going as soon as its safely viable and open.

Before my exposure was that I'd played a Mega Drive game that had Cap, Silver Surfer and a couple other characters. It went from being a non presence to one of me and my wifes fav things together.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the Marvel Studios team has constantly proved they get the comics. I don't think it's necessarily due to Disney though, but they have steered away enough.

Nov 27, 2017
California
Yeah I'm satisfied
Never expected guardians of the galaxy, any man, captain marvel and black panther to make it onto the big screen and we have Feige to thank for that because if he wasn't there we probably wouldn't

plus Iron man, Thor, Captain America were considered like C list heroes before the MCU

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely, they've been blowing away my expectations since the beginning. The MCU while not actually a product of Disney from the beginning has only gotten better as the years go on. It's crazy how Marvel is still undoubtedly Marvel, it seems like they have a lot of autonomy

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
100%.

If Disney hadn't taken over, Perlmutter would still be in charge and the movies would have been at the same level of quality as Age of Ultron and Dark World.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I'm happy ish but Daredevil my favorite character and they put him in a side u inverse that may or may not even exist in the mainline mcu. They at least did his show well, but I don't know if he will show up again other than a lawyer from time to time in Spiderman or black widow movies.notethat is not a spoiler just a total guess because marvel does not seem interested in street level movies... Maybe a Disney plus show

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
One stinker and the rest are good to amazing...I'd say they've done a bang up job. And from what I understand, Disney allowed Fiege to do more than Paramount didn't like go after Spider-Man.

Oct 27, 2017
No because I'm most likely not gonna get R rated Marvel movies anymore.
We're getting an R rated Deadpool 3. It's already been announced

Only because it was a thing before FOX acquisition but after that?

The Punisher movie? Daredevil? Blade R-rated? Not gonna happen.

I want to be wrong but since they want to have everything in the MCU they are going to drop the ball and tone down everyone.
Yeah, but a lot of those were things before the Fox acquisition too. The different is they ranged in quality. We've yet to see how they handle Daredevil, but I could actually see that having a chance of being R rated or a strictly TV-MA show like the Netflix one

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
They have been crushing it.

I'd like to see better games outside of Spider-Man, which again, they fucking smashed with Insomniac. Both OG and Miles are so so good.

But as far as the Feige stuff? And even a few outside that like AoS, DD, etc?

10/10 couldn't ask for more. As someone said, in fifteen years we've gone from a quite grounded a Iron Man to Ironheart, a THIRD Guardians of the friggin Galaxy, a Thanos that people recognize, multiverses with what seems will be multiple versions of the same hero including the crown jewel of Marvel, and the rarest gem of them all: a sure-to-be-solid Fantastic Four.

Couple missteps along the way but that infinity saga (especially 2017-19) is undefeated. Jordan shit.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't followed the comics but from a movie/TV perspective it's been fantastic. Only complaint would be the Netflix shows has too many episodes a season but loving Wandavision and Winter Soldier

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Extremely happy. They have treated Marvel very well when it comes to movies and TV shows, the MCU is awesome.

Great characters, great actor's, big budget action, massive connected universe that is still evolving after 23 movies and multiple TV shows. I never expected it to get so big and popular but they definitely deserve all the success they've had so far.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
this is a layup

thor shows up in Wakanda with rocket racoon and the entire world cheers

lifelong marvel fan here - i am beyond happy

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Yup. I would make an argument that Fox and Sony owning more of the recognizable characters helped them immensely as opposed to Star Wars, they could do things creatively without having to deal with the extra bullshit of that property. No one was going to organize an online mob of manbabies with torches over the characterization of Drax ("He was my fav character in my childhood and you ruined him, I hope your daughter dies"), or have high expectations of selling 3 million drax toys.

They have a universe runner with passion for the project, use talented writers/directors from the indie world, and really no built in audience expectation as far as storylines and characterization is concerned.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
No question about movies. It's a phenomenal success and its really because they left control to Feige.

Marvel TV was a bit of a mistake though, they've rectified it by handing control to Feige and there were some good spots here and there but most of it was forgettable and ultimately inconsequential.

Their Marvel animation output is probably the biggest disaster from a Marvel perspective. Disney interference in that space for both Marvel and Star Wars definitely made those extremely weak.

Though with Disney+ it seems like things will get better.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
well they made a fan out of me. up until infinity war i thought it was people in leotards jumping around. which, it kind of is but i'm pretty deep in the rabbit hole with marvel atm

Oct 27, 2017
I like some of them and will continue watching, but they're like McDonald's: tasty, but empty and ultimately not good for you. They are safe and unchallenging, factory-made. Feige doesn't have an eye for visual storytelling, but he does know how to cast a movie. WandaVision was an insult, an incredibly intriguing premise kneecapped by formula. Let's solve this woman's grief by....shooting laser beams?

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
No question about movies. It's a phenomenal success and its really because they left control to Feige.

Marvel TV was a bit of a mistake though, they've rectified it by handing control to Feige and there were some good spots here and there but most of it was forgettable and ultimately inconsequential.

Their Marvel animation output is probably the biggest disaster from a Marvel perspective. Disney interference in that space for both Marvel and Star Wars definitely made those extremely weak.

Though with Disney+ it seems like things will get better.

Giving Feige the reins to the whole of Marvel Entertainment will hopefully fix their non movie output.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry

Yeah this is s massive issue for me. It takes away so much of his autonomy.

Oct 26, 2017
I like some of them and will continue watching, but they're like McDonald's: tasty, but empty and ultimately not good for you. They are safe and unchallenging, factory-made. Feige doesn't have an eye for visual storytelling, but he does know how to cast a movie. WandaVision was an insult, an incredibly intriguing premise kneecapped by formula. Let's solve this woman's grief by....shooting laser beams?
I just finished WandaVision, and what should have be a simple, down-to-earth show about dealing with loss turned instead turned into....I don't even know what the fuck I would call what it turned into.

It's a shame too because Holland is the best Peter Parker we've ever gotten on screen, and then some.