• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raein

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, back in the 00s the 2 year upgrade plan made sense as things would rapidly change in significant ways. After Apple and Android dominated the smartphone market they really stopped trying to innovate. Innovation has been dead in the water for a number of years. I'd say the last significant smartphone releases was the iPhone 5 and Galaxy S3.

That sounds about right. I think the last time I was actively blown away by a transition was going from the HTC Evo to the Galaxy S3 I think. The screen looked remarkable, and it was much closer to actual Android than HTC's horrible skin. Since then it's just been "better camera, more dumb selfie shit, bigger screen!"

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
No. Not at all.

Right now, my 2yo iPhone goes to my daughter, and I get the latest iPhone. Works out well.

I plan on upgrading to the iPhone Xs,.....probably around Black Friday

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I think I've had the same phone for 4-5 years now. All I'd do is send texts and make phone calls. Not sure why I need to upgrade so frequently for that. I may even downgrade to save money.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's as dead as phone innovations. 3 Year upgrade at the earliest, 4 year upgrade the latest.

Xclash

Oct 25, 2017
I personally am sticking with my 7+ for another year. Will replace the battery and screen before years end.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on my last legs with my 5S so I'm waiting for whatever deal I can get and before that I had a blackberry for 7 maybe more years.
99% of what I do with my phone still works, I'm just ready for a new camera/battery/etc.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
I'm coming up on year 3 of my iphone se i think.

I rarely use the headphone jack, but i also cant justify spending $1000 on a new phone when mine does 98% of the stuff the new ones do. I also like smaller phones.
I wish apple would make a no bezel phone the physical size of the se

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I'm cool with my Galaxy S8 probably for 3+ years. Over a year in and it still feels as snappy as ever.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I went from an iPhone 5s to a Samsung galaxy a8 (2018). Basically: screw the prices of the flagships these days.

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
Been off that for awhile. I'm on the upgrade as needed plan.

Had a Nokia Windows phone for about 4 years, upgraded because it wasn't keeping like 2 years ago. Plan on keeping my current phone for as long as possible.

Before that had a 4s and kept it for almost 3 years.

wvan13

Oct 25, 2017
Like some others I've seen here, I'm also in the "when it breaks" cycle. But that said, my S7 Edge is slow as dirt and the battery dies if I don't charge it in the middle of the day. And it's on power saver mode. I shudder to think what it'd be like without that. I've done factory reset, everything I can. If I type too fast it gets confused and starts typing in the middle of my sentence. I got it in May 2016 and I'm waiting for the OnePlus 6T to upgrade. I hope this one lasts longer.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm three years in with my Note 5 and I'm probably just gonna ride it out until it dies.

The only problem is the battery but I've learned to embrace mid-day charging and I'm generally OK otherwise.

I really don't need THE LATEST AND GREATEST for Pocket Casts, Era, and Spotify, which is what I use my phone for 99% of the time.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I only upgrade my phone when it stops working or apparently in the case of Apple when they force me to upgrade lol.

Just never been a phone person.
I use it but never felt I required the latest and greatest. I also hate how big they have gotten.

Still rocking iPhone SE mostly for the size.

With that said when it's time to upgrade I don't mind paying up front since I'm not refreshing as often as many others.

Oct 27, 2017
Nope still on it as long as their's a trade in promo for an old phone. I might go to once every 3 years honestly. I went from an S7 edge to a note 9 because of a trade in deal where I'd get $500 for it towards the note 9.

As long as they keep those trade in deals coming I'll keep upgrading.

Ryu1999

Oct 29, 2017
I'm due for an upgrade this year but holding off. Currently have an Iphone 7 and I'm not a fan of the X series. My wife has an X and I can't stand not having a home button.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Rethinking? Lol I'm on the same monthly business plan we started ten years ago with the same monthly rate . We buy all our phones outright I'm rocking a new s6 lol. Android stops updating ? Good I don't have to worry about updates. Two year cycle is for suckers

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Original iPhone on launch -> 3GS -> 4S -> 5 -> 5S -> 6 Plus -> 6s Plus -> 7 Plus (Jet black; sexiest phone they ever made) -> Currently on an iPhone X

I have an iPhone Xs Max ready for pickup on Friday.

I've also owned a Galaxy S...3? HTC One. Nexus 5. And Nexus 6 as tinkering devices to try testing the waters with Android. Kept all of those. Did buy an S8 before the X came out, but returned it after a few days (way too much carrier bloat).

My phone is my most used device. I absolutely must have it for work, and rely on it through my entire work day. Factor in the advantage of a great camera for family outings, a media device when traveling (a few times a month), and the necessity for great battery life when I'm leveraging maps for 2-3 hour drives quite often, and I want the best. Being able to play the latest games and enjoy the latest tech each year is just icing.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I've always been on the 3-4 year cycle. I just see no reason to upgrade any sooner as phones are so good.

Ever since my first smartphone in 2011, I no longer felt the need to upgrade that often.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been going with the previous year's Sony flagship with my last two purchases, so the Z3 Compact and the Z5, but they lasted me barely a couple years each, I'm having storage problems and the battery keeps running out on my Z5. Looking into my options to buy an S9..

Kimchi_Breath

Oct 25, 2017
I used to always skip the iPhone "S" models until this year. Upgrading to the Xs Max from a X only because of the big screen.

Will keep the Xs Max for at least 2 years unless the 2019 iPhones have a brand new design or a must have feature.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
I got a brand new Pixel XL for under $200, which will last me at least a couple years, at which point I plan on landing a Pixel 3 XL for under $300, which will last me another couple years.

Lagging behind with 1-2 year old flagships has been my technique since 2011. I've never paid more than $250 for a phone yet, and have had flagship level phones the whole way through.

It blows my mind that people are dropping $1,000 give or take every 1-2 years, which is about as much as I've spent on all 4 of my phones that I've owned in the last 7 years combined.

There's absolutely nothing about a 2017 or 2018 flagship phone that would make my life any better than a 2016 flagship.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hold on to my phone until it no longer receives security updates, or it becomes unbearably slow, or breaks. 3-4 years usually. The plus side is that the new phone feels really fast when I get it. You really notice the difference. I'm actually not looking forward to getting a new phone. I hate the notch and I hate no headphone jack, and it appears that this is the trend, since Apple started it.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My s8 is super fast and I bet it lasts a long long time. I just wish it was smaller :(

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Diminishing returns are a very real thing in the world of phones and tablets these days. The upgrades just aren't that big anymore.

My iPhone 7 still feels like a new phone on iOS 12. Why would I replace it with a newer model? A better camera? Sure, but that's pretty much it. I'm not spending $500 (out of pocket after selling my old phone) for a better camera.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Phone obsolescence has changed. My iPhone 6 Plus is 4 years old and with the performance of iOS12 I could maybe even ride it for 2 more years. It's still a completely modern phone experience and all I'm really missing out on is a few bells and whistles.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, i'll stick with 2 years. Yearly is just not meaningful enough of an upgrade. Also, AppleCare coverage runs out after 2 years. Also, my girlfriend gets my 2 year old phone ... and i'm a fan of her being able to enjoy the more 'recent' features phones have to offer.

But this is because i want to and can afford it - not because there's any need to upgrade on that pace, nowadays.

I used to always skip the iPhone "S" models until this year. Upgrading to the Xs Max from a X only because of the big screen.

Will keep the Xs Max for at least 2 years unless the 2019 iPhones have a brand new design or a must have feature.

it's gonna get harder and harder to create a "brand new design" though. We're literally talking about slabs of glass and metal with an (almost) all-screen front.
Phones are big, hence the bands / frame needs to be round. If the frame stays the same and the screen is almost bezel-less, it's hard to imagine any meaningful redesign (like from 3GS -> 4 or 5S -> 6) happening anytime soon.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
I keep a phone until it breaks or is incompatible with enough apps that the upgrade is worth it. Current phone is now 2 years, hope it lasts 4.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just jumped from a S7 to S9+. I'm actually considering getting a S11 Note down the line since big phones are really nice.

2 years is a fairly long time in retrospect.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still rocking this badboy no plans to upgrade anytime soon
shopping

Did you promise not to get another new phone till a new Metroid Prime was released?