Which one do you usually prefer

• Fantasy, I like me some dragons, elves and orcs.

Votes: 211 28.5%
  • Sci Fi, I prefer aliens, spaceships and future tech

Votes: 353 47.7%
  • I dig both settings equally

Votes: 176 23.8%

• Total voters

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely sci-fi. I play fantasy RPGs only because we get like two RPGs per year and beggars can't be choosers.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
In books, fantasy.

There's so much bad sci fi out there in books, compared to fantasy.

But games? Sci fi, usually.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
High fantasy bores me to tears, but fantasy with some extra sauce is my jam.
...Or put fantasy and sci-fi in a blender, like Xenoblade.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer Sci fi but most games are shit at it

so fantasy for games

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
It depends what's being done with either, I like sci-fi but I'd probably go to fantasy first because like robots and guns and space marines aren't my thing but they seem the go to thing when I think of sci-fi games.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I really hate hard-sci-fi. Like the 'what if in the future...' type settings. But space-fantasy is one of my absolute favourite settings. I like settings with grand mythologies and a feeling of magic and fantasy. Whether that's dragons or aliens doesn't really bother me.

ArchLector

Banned
Apr 10, 2020
In general, I really like both the genres. In gaming however sci-fi is way under represented. We need more sci-fi games! And I am not counting military shooters where the genre is just a dumb ass excuse to shoot living things without guilt.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
I like fantasy but nothing can really beat the infinitely more numerous possibilities that sci-fi or sci-fantasy presents in terms of themes, storytelling and etc.

Plus, you can have giant robots in sci-fi/fantasy, and that just kicks ass.
EqgotamVgAAhRc9

Armored-Core-5_1920x1200.jpg

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
SF for sure. One of the reasons I love Assassin's Creed so much is the (mostly) authentic historical settings, rather than generic fantasy worlds.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I like both

its in the quality of the product

both are great when done well

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
it depends on the medium for me

Fantasy in books, Sci-fi in TV/Movies, don't really have a preference in games

that said I can't stand certain kinds of Sci-fi(the Star Trek type super optimistic stuff mostly) while there isn't really a type of Fantasy that's a hard pass for me

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Both are great, but I hate the most generic (i.e. the most popular) versions of both. Knockoff Tolkien fantasy is just as dull and overdone to me as space military is.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I should like both settings equally, but my favorite games/stories tend to be fantasy. Maybe because there are way more fantasy novels/games than sci-fi?

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
I like it best when they intersect

Likewise. I also really like it when there's a high contrast clash between aesthetics. Give me modern high fantasy RPGs where you end up crawling high tech dungeons and encountering robots to hack to pieces with an axe! Give me enemies shooting lasers whose armors can still be pierced with enchanted arrows! Give me computers that practice literal magic!

15-mm3_2194.png

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
What is commonly understood as sci fi for most people I put it on the same category as high fantasy.

amademage

May 19, 2020
I feel like I'm a fantasy guy because sci-fi is very visually drab. There are modern cities that look more advanced than what I see in most sci-fi games.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Fantasy, for the most part. I like boring Fantasy over boring Sci-Fi, but well done Sci-Fi is just as good as the best Fantasy. I just have a better "baseline" with Fantasy.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest, sci-fi largely bores me. I hate listening to technobabble and most future tech isn't that compelling to me on a general level. I do like the occasional sci-fi show like Doctor Who or Stargate but for the most part I prefer fantasy fiction.

And as far as games are concerned, I like sci-fi even less because sci-fi settings typically lean towards shooter mechanics and I really don't enjoy guns and shooting things. Give me melee combat or don't waste my time.

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
I love sci-fi but I gotta say, a lot of the more popular games in the genre tend to lean more towards the space opera genre (i.e. Mass Effect etc.). It's rare that you get a game that's more in line with the type of sci-fi I enjoy, like The Swapper or SOMA. Having said that, I love me some fantasy too, so space opera is A-OK with me!

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't have to be this way, but fantasy ends up being a lot more samey. Lord of the Rings? DnD? Witcher? Dragon Age? Time for elves and humans and dwarves and magic and dragons again

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Video games have been sci-fi for a while now. I got plenty of really enaging RPGs in a fantasy setting. I don't seem to have too many sci-fi ones.

dasu

Aug 2, 2018
I don't have a super deep knowledge of either, but fantasy games seems to get stuck in a D&D shaped rut or a jRPG shaped rut. Even if I don't particularly like shooting games, Sci Fi seems more varied in mechanics, environment, and storytelling.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Both equally. And both shares so many things.
Usually fantasy. Always felt like fantasy worlds are more unique and distinct than others, while most Sci-Fi worlds feel exactly the same as other Sci-Fi worlds. Rarely see any uniqueness within them that amazes me
This is just because you read more fantasy than Sci-Fi. Because on that front, they both shares this flow.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I don't have a super deep knowledge of either, but fantasy games seems to get stuck in a D&D shaped rut or a jRPG shaped rut.
That definitely feels accurate. While there are definitely fantasy games with more inspired settings (e.g. Deadfire and Morrowind), the vast majority of them still draw most inspiration from Tolkien, DnD or anime tropes. It would be great if games took more inspiration from successful book series such as The Divine Cities or The Books of Babel trilogies.

Oct 28, 2017
Neither in the strictest sense. Even with novels neither genre in their purest form appeal to me.

I'm more inclined to play something like Control/Metal Gear where elements seep into the world (scfi I guess?). Something like FF16 immediately turns me off just because of the more fantasy aspect. Even the Souls franchise took me a while to get into it just because I dislike knights/castle setting.

If I had to pick, I'd take a scfi setting over a fantasy but I would vote neither.