• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Name.

• Chickpeas.

Votes: 289 71.7%
  • Garbanzo beans.

Votes: 61 15.1%
  • Prehummus.

Votes: 53 13.2%

• Total voters

hidys

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I call them chickpeas but you can call them whatever you like IDGAF.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I almost always call them chickpeas. Garbanzo bean is a term that feels like you'd only whip it out when you're feeling petulant, want to be technically correct, and just saying something like 'a tomato is a botanical fruit' is not enough.

Desi chickpeas are kind of interesting, too. They're smaller, darker, and tougher than regular chickpeas. I don't think they'd make good hummus (I've never tried) but they have a little more texture in a curry or other stew-like dish.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
The first time I heard the term "garbanzo bean" was when I lived in the States for a spell. (You could probably make a similar thread for cilantro vs. coriander.)

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe I legit said "prehummus" in my head and then I see it's actually listed as a choice 🤣

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The first time I heard the term "garbanzo bean" was when I lived in the States for a spell. (You could probably make a similar thread for cilantro vs. coriander.)

lots of foods have different names even in different English speaking countries
Zucchini/Courgette
Eggplant/Aubergine
Butternut Squash/Butternut Pumpkin
Peppers/Capsicum

let's not start on chips/crisps/fries nomenclature
also for shits and giggles: American use of Entree verses elsewhere.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had always called it chickpeas and then I saw it referred to as garbanzo beans at a Mediterranean Chipotle-style place called Garbanzo.

It'll always be chickpeas to me.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure they're called garbanzos in Spanish. Though of course they're also called that sometimes in English.

At least where I'm from (NYC) both terms seem pretty common. In all fairness, we do commonly use terminology that comes from Spanish, e.g. bodega, so I don't know.

In any case, they're a really good bean, probably my favorite, even as a kid. They're also what hummus and falafel are made of.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

Pancoar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Considering I was raised in a mostly Spanish speaking house, it's garbanzo for me.

Deleted member 20471

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Use the italian name, you already do it for a lot of foods... plus, "ceci" sound quiete cool when pronounced with an american accent.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
A thing can only have one name. You must choose.

having recently moved to Italy from the US, I was shocked to learn that almost everything in the grocery store was being called a different name. an outrage! I demanded to speak to a manager but apparently there is a different word for that too as the clerk just looked at me, confused, and shrugged his shoulders.

flook

Oct 28, 2017
My sister (who was trying out the veggie life) once asked if there was chicken in chickpeas. The thought of it still brings a smile.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Garbanzo is a variety of chickpea, it's not interchangable. Garbanzo is lighter coloured and larger.

In South East Asia your regular chickpea is known "Chana" and Garbanzo is also known as "Kabuli Chana" as it was introduced to India from Kabul.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
After a little research it is apparently just made with 'pulses', so I think chickpeas fall under that umbrella! I think every time I've made a chickpea curry though it's been called something else, like chana masala, aloo sabzi, or chole.
Chana Dal is a North Indian dish, where the chickpeas are split into halves.
www.vegrecipesofindia.com

Chana Dal (Split Chickpeas)

This Chana Dal is an easy and tasty recipe of split chickpeas and an authentic North Indian recipe like the way it is made in Punjabi homes.

Not as common as other kinds of Dal but it exists.