SixtyTwoMike

Oct 26, 2017
I used to scoff at these but sort of want one now - I'm going away for work soon and I'll have a case with most my stuff in it but could do with something for AirPods, battery, etc

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
inFAMOUS-2-Sling-Pack-Messenger-Bag-Backpack-Cole-.jpg

I actually wore this to school lol

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I have a Bellroy sling (used to have an Aer and Topo Designs ones before this).
bellroy.com

Venture Sling 9L | Large crossbody bag for all-day adventure | Bellroy

An extra capacity sling built for all-day adventure, with plenty of pocket organization, and a focus on easy access.

I love it. Holds all my everyday stuff, I just grab it and my water bottle when I leave the house and toss it in my car. I don't like things in my pockets, in general.

And guys, you wear them in the front when you are in crowds, public transport, or tight areas. So it's harder to steal your shit and the bag is not swinging around on your back, into people.

If lived in a city with public transport and I had no car, my everyday carry bag with be my timbuk2 messenger bag, so I can carry around water and purchases. Or might get like an Evergoods Civic backpack, though I don't really like backpacks.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I have an old Waterfield Designs sling-ish pack that fits a 13" laptop. It was originally designed to fit the OG iPad when it was new so I've had it for what? 10 years. Still looks good and works great. I had been looking at one of the LV sling bags for men because it's just the right size for a phone, wallet and some of the other smaller stuff I carry while being less cumbersome than the Waterfield bag but I haven't pulled the trigger just yet. Maybe never due to price. Or maybe tomorrow. Depends on how motivated and how much I hype myself up. I have a LV wallet that is 3 years old and you'd think it was 3 days old.

zzz

Oct 27, 2017
I've got a Peak Design sling I like a lot. I never carry enough stuff to need a backpack.

I wouldn't wear it high and up-front like those photos in the OP. I wear it like this fella.
black_MKD5290_1024x1024.jpg
Peak Design makes quality stuff. The sling I have is the perfect size for my iPad Pro with magic keyboard, Switch, power bank, and water bottle, along with any miscellaneous things I need. It's also perfect for travelling with a DSLR, though I haven't been able to do much of that these days.

Oct 28, 2017
Not really into these things, personally. I need space in case I'm gonna be needing to carry big or heavy things. I also worry about the impact on the one shoulder if heavy shit is inside the bag, but with the size of these, its probably not gonna do anything to your shoulder.

I do own a Ukoala bag though. In the before times when I was doing tourist shit, only really wanted to carry my passport, some local dosh and keep my bag in a far better position against pickpocketing, its pretty good. Nowadays though? Doesn't get as much use.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
These are neat, and I see a lot of people using them, but it's not enough storage for me.

I have a backpack that I always take with me when I go out. It fits my work laptop, my umbrella, some medicine in case I get a headache or my allergies act up, hand sanitizer, cleaning wipes, extra face masks, and of course it has some extra space in case I buy something while I'm out.

GoutPatrol

Oct 30, 2017
I got an Alpaka bag that can fit all the things I need and yeah, I treat it like a purse but it is useful. I can carry everything I need in it.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I've been thinking about getting one only havnt found one I like yet.

Wearing it on the chest is practical but not my style. Wearing on the back looks better but isn't too practical.

Definetly want one though. Backpacks can carry more but are too clunky, and while I can fit all I need in a winter coat pockets, I cant in summer.

Gold!e

Jun 7, 2018
Britain
Oh them's fighting words 🤣

I have a 20-year-old backpack that still does exactly what I need and I don't give a shit what anyone thinks about it. It's a bag to hold stuff not some extension of me. I doubt anyone would mistake me for a kid when I am commuting to work.

I look at sling bags and see no utility, we already have messenger bags, fanny packs, duffel bags, and travel bags, and I just see another bag. It's a fashion trend that's going to disappear in a few years, and everyone wearing them will be made fun of like those here that wear cargo shorts. Us backpack wearers will still be rocking 'em because they are superior at literally being a bag.

Backpacks 4 life.
Cargo shorts are literally in style right now,
how old are you?

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
Cargo shorts are literally in style right now,
how old are you?

How old are you? What does it matter?

I was kidding in my post but we used to joke about cargo shorts for many years in this very forum, my point was styles change, as you pointed out, and backpacks are not for style and offer better utility. But theyre just bags, wear what you want, just don't judge people on their damn accessories because it's a bag.

Gold!e

Jun 7, 2018
Britain
How old are you? What does it matter?

I was kidding in my post but we used to joke about cargo shorts for many years in this very forum, my point was styles change, as you pointed out, and backpacks are not for style and offer better utility. But theyre just bags, wear what you want, just don't judge people on their damn accessories because it's a bag.
I do remember the backlash against cargo shorts but those years are behind us now. I wasn't trying to be disrespectful, I was legit asking because slightly older millenials (I'm 25) often believe things that went out of fashion in their day will never come back around. The future is now old man.

On topic though, sling bags have their advantages over backpacks but they're all just bags, they're interchangable.
I usually just grab whichever one is closest to me when heading out.

Oct 29, 2017
I've been using sling packs for a decade now, ever since I bought the limited edition of infamous 2 that came with one. Loved how they felt to wear, and I never carry enough stuff to justify a full-ass backpack, so I stuck with them. My current bag is the Extractor 2.0 by Oakley, roomy, stylish and comfortable.

I never wear them front-facing unless im getting something out of the bag, just don't feel right.

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
I do remember the backlash against cargo shorts but those years are behind us now. I wasn't trying to be disrespectful, I was legit asking because slightly older millenials (I'm 25) often believe things that went out of fashion in their day will never come back around. The future is now old man.

On topic though, sling bags have their advantages over backpacks but they're all just bags, they're interchangable.
I usually just grab whichever one is closest to me when heading out.
Hah I am in my mid 30s! You called it. I definitely don't fall into that category, I'm always joking with my partner we are coming back to the late 90s early 2000s fashion trends. It's already started.

On topic as well. I will admit having a sling bag 15 years ago for traveling around Europe. I will also admit that the Louis Vuitton bag looks nice and would look really good on a few outfits for work. I'll still use my old bag tho cause I refuse to change.

solisolisoli

Jul 30, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
I actually have the second one. It's great for carrying batteries, cards, cleaning and some audio gear when I'm working. I've never actually needed it outside of that though, I rarely carry more than my wallet, phone and keys.

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they look great, but I don't live in a city. I do daily use a messenger bag to carry laptop to office.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
I use them for festivals and maybe a day out on holiday. Out all day long with nowhere to stop, it's better than a backpack, you want to carry the minimum while having everything accessible. Pockets are a liability in those scenarios and not enough on their own.

I don't use them outside of that, something to consider though.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
In this heat, sling bag is the way to go. I had to wear my backpack for a 20 minute work the other day and my back was getting way too hot, and the temperature outside wasn't even that high.

BlkSquirtle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I got an Alpaka bag that can fit all the things I need and yeah, I treat it like a purse but it is useful. I can carry everything I need in it.
Omg somebody else using Alpaka ITT. I have like 4 Alpaka bags - Bravo Sling Max (for work/for travel when that becomes a thing), Bravo X Sling (originally for work but now just a backup), Elements Tech Case (this is my everyday carry) and the Modular Phone Sling (for when I wear outfits that don't have good pockets/I only want to carry my phone).

I weep for all the people in this thread (I know how resetera leans lol) sleeping on using bags besides backpacks.

Uh, which one? How do you like it, just ordered an elements backpack and modular phone sling?

The phone sling pretty small so if you have a big phone expect to only get that in there and maybe a card or two. I dont have the elements backpack so I can't help you there, sorry!

ɣGammaɣ

Oct 26, 2017
the middle of the woods
Omg somebody else using Alpaka ITT. I have like 4 Alpaka bags - Bravo Sling Max (for work/for travel when that becomes a thing), Bravo X Sling (originally for work but now just a backup), Elements Tech Case (this is my everyday carry) and the Modular Phone Sling (for when I wear outfits that don't have good pockets/I only want to carry my phone).

I weep for all the people in this thread (I know how resetera leans lol) sleeping on using bags besides backpacks.

The phone sling pretty small so if you have a big phone expect to only get that in there and maybe a card or two. I dont have the elements backpack so I can't help you there, sorry!

Thanks for the reply, S22 Ultra, hope it fits a trayvax armoured summit and 2 keys ^_^ will find out and whatever fits, is not in my pockets anymore - will just use it for concerts and nights out.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i've been eyeing a few high end bags but can't really justify buying one. i have a fairly stationary day to day life

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I've been thinking about getting one and been looking at alpaka, peak design, bellroy, and defy. Seems like alpaka isn't bad according to this thread so maybe I'll finally buy it...

cake

Oct 25, 2017
inFAMOUS-2-Sling-Pack-Messenger-Bag-Backpack-Cole-.jpg

I actually wore this to school lol

This is actually what I still use! It's my gym bag, or for shorter casual hikes, or generally for days out when I need storage but don't want to take one of my real backpacks (so like a smaller casual bag while on vacation). I've been pondering getting something newer to replace it but it's held up well, and I even get the occasional comment on the Sly logo (chatted with someone just this weekend about it).

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
I have sling bags but since I carry around my camera a lot these days, I carry around a messenger like this:
aGo1oeX.jpg

I mainly use it cause the sling looks pretty cool. That and there's lots of storage.
sAB05dI.jpg

I kinda want to go back to a minimal bag though and not carry too much stuff with me so I may switch it up again. Though I have a dilemma with bringing my camera around or not.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
man the fanny pack quips in this thread are hilarious and original. keep it up!

akinmoto.com

WINGMAN MOTORCYCLE MESSENGER BAG

Introducing the ‘Wingman’ Motorcycle Messenger Bag from Akin Moto – the ultimate companion for your next ride. More than just a messenger bag, the Wingman's versatile design allows it to be used as a tail-bag, pannier, handlebar bag + more. This is made possible via our unique ‘Smart Strap...
I have a pair of motorcycle gloves (blip) from akin and like the style a lot but the velcro is falling apart after 2 years.. maybe that's expected.

that said I really like this bag because can strap down on my motorcycle. I mostly just want something to carry my x100v camera and small stuff on rides or when traveling abroad. I cant decide if its a little too big for what I want and because it ships from Australia it means returning it would be a pain

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Tried everything (minus the fanny pack) for work, and settled on a backpack. It's better looking (on me), is more comfortable, and held all my shit outside of gym gear (which was a duffel).

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I am not but I really like that third one tbh, it looks like it might be able to fit a 13" Macbook Pro. I know I should ditch the clunky backpack.

Why not just get a backpack that's not clunky?

I have two backpacks. I use a Tom Bihn Synik 30 for travel and it definitely is clunky, it would feel and look awkward for everyday use. I also have a 20L Evergoods pack that's just big enough for the stuff I need for work.

There's a TON of options out there.

As for these slings, I associate them with young tryhards. Like it seems every time Jake Paul comes up in one of my feeds he's wearing one.

I also don't really get the use case, but maybe I carry less stuff than most people. If I'm going somewhere where I need my laptop or a change of clothes (and if I need those things I probably also want a water bottle, food, etc) I want a backpack. If I don't need those things, I'm fine with just my phone, wallet, and keys, and don't need a bag.

Wanace

Oct 29, 2017
I have one, loved it when I lived overseas and was always taking public transportation and flying etc. Now that I'm back in the states I don't use it as often, but it's a high quality one from www.sfbags.com and I don't think I'll ever get rid of it unless it falls apart which I don't think it will any time soon.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
I have a small Patagonia hip pack I bring on walks to keep my shit out of my pockets, but I don't wear them around town really

Oct 25, 2017
Funny this thread pops up while I was searching for a smaller sling bag to use. I have a Patagonia Atom 8L but while I appreciate how much it carries, it's very awkward to carry against my chest.

I'm considering picking up this Aer City Sling 2 as the profile is more reminiscent of a running belt vs a fanny pack.

AER91012_citysling2xpac_black_front.jpg

City Sling 2 X-Pac

Aer bags are great. I have this exact one and a larger brief/backpack hybrid from them that I take to work.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
I carry a sling bag with me whenever I go out. It's perfect for storing a reusable shopping bag, keys, wallet etc. Means I'm not trying to cram way too much into trouser pockets. It's perfect for summer too, as your back doesn't get swampy like it does with a full backpack when it's hot out

badatorigami

Dec 5, 2019
Love using slings.
Very annoyed at the trend of placing easily-disengaged buckles (especially the super trendy costly fidlock ones) onto the straps that sit on one's back and thereby making them easily-snatchable. Sucks that so many of the nice ones (like Peak Design, Aer) are going this route these days; feels like justification for new product revs rather than practicality. This might be just a personal annoyance, as I'm a front-wearer whereas it seems most wear slings on their backs, putting the buckle in front.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Love using slings.
Very annoyed at the trend of placing easily-disengaged buckles (especially the super trendy costly fidlock ones) onto the straps that sit on one's back and thereby making them easily-snatchable. Sucks that so many of the nice ones (like Peak Design, Aer) are going this route these days; feels like justification for new product revs rather than practicality. This might be just a personal annoyance, as I'm a front-wearer whereas it seems most wear slings on their backs, putting the buckle in front.

Yea, I don't like these new type buckles.

Me personally though, I don't even like buckles at all along the length of the strap. I just like when the strap is attached to the bag or the secure buckle mechanism is where the strap and bag come together.

I see a few backpacks using these new type buckles for the sternum straps, who would seem to suck too.

Last edited:

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
I love messenger bags and backpacks compared to other forms of luggage when going on trips. Sling bags always seemed a bit too small for me but I might like one for just leaving a room while going to a convention or something since I usually just need my wallet, badge and phone at that time.

EliVilla

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I only use one when I'm at a convention. Best place to have my phone and headphones and wallet secure and small things I end up buying.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure a sling bag would have a use case for me. At home, I dont need to carry a bag around. When I travel, even downsizing to a very small fixed lens camera, I need a small backpack if I end up buying souvenirs, food, clothes, etc.

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like a purse for men lol. I bet it has some nice safety/functionality if you don't want to get your phone or wallet stolen from your back pockets at a musical festival or traveling in a sketchy foreign country or something, but I can't imagine needing one otherwise

I'd rather use a small backpack if I'm skating around town, or messenger/laptop bag If I'm going to work