• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Well?

• You are crazy. It's the best apple.

Votes: 54 15.5%
  • You are right. It's the worst kind of apple.

Votes: 294 84.5%

• Total voters

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
Any time a new apple variety shows up at my grocery store I make a point to try them. They've all been great. I can remember when Granny Smith first got popular and they were great; now they seem to just be a sour apple (though still great for baking). I had Envy and Sugar Bee the other night, both very good.

baltic

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for sharing this topic, most people in my entourage don't understand this.

Imo, they are closer to a fake plastic apple than a real fruit.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Red Delicious...I guess its good for applesauce, but thats about it. I hate the mealy, grainy-ass texture they have if you eat them at the wrong time.

RedBlue

Oct 27, 2017
Queens, NY
I like red delicious just fine, but yes, its probably the worst apple. Taste is just okay compared to other apples and its grainy once you start to chew it. It almost has a dry texture despite being a juicy fruit. I will say, it is one of the crispiest, which would make the first bite exceptional, if it weren't for the dry graininess of the interior.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
cosmic crisp is the new hotness

Launch-of-Cosmic-Crisp-could-revitalize-premium-apple-industry.jpg

The Awesomest

Mar 3, 2018
My favorites:
- Envy
- Opal (like an organic Jolly Rancher)
- Ambrosia (huge and sweet!)
- A properly sweet Pink Lady (tastes like candy)
- The kind that nearly gave me a heart attack by having purple flesh

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
It's definitely the worst, although I was never a fan of the flavor of grannies tbh.

Nittany (a northeastern US variety) is the best, it's like Honeycrisp but better. A fantastic snacking apple.

Jun 8, 2018
Problem is, red delicious apples look like a stereotypical apple (shape, color, etc.), like you would see in a cartoon. But then you eat one, and it's all wrong.

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
delicious looking. terrible tasting.

It's more offensive than being just bad, it's disappointing.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
delicious looking. terrible tasting.

It's more offensive than being just bad, it's disappointing.
Red delicious were grown with an emphasis on appearance over flavor or texture, which meant as time went on they got worse and worse while they're appearance improved. Supposedly some of the original red delicious apples were actually much tastier than what currently exists

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Are Pippin's Cox Orange geographically limited? I'm surprised nobody mentions them at all.

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Red delicious were grown with an emphasis on appearance over flavor or texture, which meant as time went on they got worse and worse while they're appearance improved. Supposedly some of the original red delicious apples were actually much tastier than what currently exists

This explains a lot. I wonder if there's any way to restart the experiment again.

I feel like it's shame they're associated with apples since they're a bad example of the crispy sweet goodness an apple provides.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a reason honey crisp are friggin $3.50 a pound here. They're the dopest by far.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I came in here to agree - and I sort of do. But I think that red delicious apples are by far the worst kind of commercially available apple - golden delicious aren't great, but they're nowhere near the bland, mealy, wooden taste of the red apples that do not deserve any speck of their 'delicious' moniker.

Ambrosia or Gala are my two go-to eating apples. Honeycrisp are good, but they're not so good as to justify the price increase - I assume they must cold store more poorly than other apples as they cost about twice as much any time that's not harvest season.

Granny smiths are good for cooking but sometimes when they're raw they're like eating the most sour crabapple with a tougher texture.

Having said that, the woody, mealy texture that apples occasionally get isn't always reserved for red delicious - they just seem more prone to it. Better to use them to make juice or cider and save the proper table apples for eating.

mug

Oct 26, 2017
They're the ideal apples if you're using a juicer. Lots of flavor and taste great with PB.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I think Scishow did an episode on why it's so bad, and it has to do with how difficult apples are to actually pollinate each other and reproduce and actually produce fruit when they do. So some selective breeding trickery to increase yields or something led to the red delicious.... or something. (I may have remembered all of that wrong)

EDIT:

Yeah this too. Appearance + yields just led to them being bland and the skins tough and bitter.

For the record I am but one of many "basic" honeycrisp lovers. It's the best of sweet and sour apples to me, so I always get them. They do seem to suffer from those black dimples more than other varieties though. (not the black speckles which is fungi, but this other issue where there are little tiny pock marks almost that turn black)

Yoss

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Depends on the season. Red Delicious are great for 3 months of the year and bad for the rest. Gotta choose with the seasons.