• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are DS controllers bad?

• Yes

Votes: 820 28.1%
  • Nah

Votes: 2,099 71.9%

• Total voters

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Felt like it deserved a thread because I wanted to see Era's take and experience with PS4 Dualshock controllers, and also if you know about alternatives from third party companies with great controllers, please do post em.

So, through 4-5 years of owning a ps4, I've gone through 5 dualshock controllers, the first jet black colored one that came with my base ps4 was the one that lasted longer more than 2 years of playing every day, and every single controller after that, I start having problems with it from the first 3 to 6 months, more notably drifting with the analog sticks. Now i'm doubting that colored Dualshock controllers might have quality issues and the jet black ones might be better.

This might be just me, but with dualshock 3 controllers the jet black ones lasted longer than different colored ones I owned, but i dont know if there's something actually wrong with the colored ones.

How long does Dualshock 4 controllers last for you? And Have you had problems with em?

This is NOT a console war thread, I play mainly on console and ps4 is the one I play the most, ergonomic wise i believe Dualshock 4 to be the best, and they're good controllers that have issues, this is something I wanted to discuss with everyone. Cheers

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018
I've never had a Dualshock 4 controller where the USB port didn't turn to trash 3 days after purchase. Half the reason I want next gen to just hurry up and get here is hopefully everything is just USB-C and we can forget micro USB forever.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
they have poorly quality control.

xbox one controls are only slighty better
switch too

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
i like the shape, how it feels in my hand, but ive never had so many controllers break on me, yeah.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish I never had to hear the word "trash" again.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
I've never had a Dualshock 4 controller where the USB port didn't turn to trash 3 days after purchase. Half the reason I want next gen to just hurry up and get here is hopefully everything is just USB-C and we can forget micro USB forever.
My PS1 Anniversary controller died after a year because somehow the USB port broke.

Last edited:

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
The only Dualshock 4 controller I destroyed was the first one because of the sticks peeling off.

I got my bronze Dualshock 4 replacement for two years now. Hundreds of hours of gaming and there is nothing wrong with it.

Having to replace 4-5? You must be cursed.

OP
OP
AllMight1

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I never had to hear the word "trash" again.

Apologies.

I primarily play PS4, I've owned one for over four years now, and I'm still using the controller it came with.

Yeah, that's what i'm thinking, that the controller that comes with the console have better quality control.

The only Dualshock 4 controller I destroyed was the first one because of the sticks peeling off.

I got my bronze Dualshock 4 replacement for two years now. Hundreds of hours of gaming and there is nothing wrong with it.

Having to replace 4-5? You must be cursed.

Yes, had trouble with one from week 2, it was a midnight blue one, and I was able to return it to Amazon for my money back.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm happy with the design but they're definitely super poor quality. I've gone through like four or five controllers over the system's lifespan, that shouldn't happen. Feels like it's kind of always been the story with Sony's controllers.

Oct 25, 2017
My DualShock somehow caught my joycons drift. Now it just moves on it's own....
Between the DualShock 4 and the gold headsets I'm about to go third party with theses accessories lol

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
terrible, terrible quality control yeah.

I love the feel of it, but the amount of sticks i went through is something else.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
The charge port of my base PS4 controller died, and the X button contact pad as well as the the trigger contact pads needed to be replaced after two years. My day one Pro controller hasn't shown any issues yet, and it's my primary controller.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
I've had to send four back to Sony for repair.

No other controller has ever broke on me, including all previous PlayStation ones.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
They're solid. Lower build quality than Xbone controllers or the pro for switch. I do love that it has a headphone jack though.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Quality for all controllers seems to be bad for me. Something always breaks. Xbox one controller seems sturdier out of all basic controllers but somehow my left stick still has some kind of issue.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Nah, they're perfectly fine.
The only technical issues I've had were rage-related, lol

The only thing I don't like is the L2 and R2 buttons. They're a bit too easy to press by accident when you put the controller down.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
I still have my launch controller. Only issue is the sticks peeled. But I replaced them.

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The only issue I had with the Dual Shock 4 was the rubber coming off the sticks on the launch version but since they fixed that problem I've had no dramas whatsoever. Great controller.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised there wasn't a class action lawsuit for the first gen of DS4s; everyone I know had their R1 trigger fail.

In general I feel that Sony really cheaped out with the PS4 to hit price points. I hope with the PS5 they can get back to a quality level we associate with Sony hardware.

Mac Dalton

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I modded All of my DS4s with aluminium buttons and sticks The DS4 is the best controller I ever ownd..

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
The quality isn't the best but what the fuck do you people do to your controllers to make them break within a year or two? I got two controllers at launch and one of them lasted five years before one of the sticks started to drift and the other one still works perfectly fine today. I only needed to replace the battery which is understandable.

Design-wise thought the DS4 is the best controller I've touched. I love the chunk.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Still have my launch DS4 that still works fine. Can't say the same for my launch XB1 controller with the broken L3 out of the box. My launch Switch Pro Controller is completely dead and won't charge anymore, which is pure horseshit for a $70 controller.

Last edited:

Warukyure

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
I too have a launch PS4 controller and it works just fine. I bought 2 spare controllers when they went on sale in 2017 expecting it to die due to all the doom and gloom threads but nothing came to pass.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
i legit never had an issue with my DS4 controllers, i never get the complaints about them, or better yet, what are you doing to these controllers that breaks them so much, lol.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
I think both of them drift but it could be the dust. Blowing stops the drifting.

Battery is terrible but I tend to play one hour sessions anyway so I am cool.

Curious about the back attachment affects battery. Still want one though.

OP
OP
AllMight1

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, they're perfectly fine.
The only technical issues I've had were rage-related, lol

The only thing I don't like is the L2 and R2 buttons. They're a bit too easy to press by accident when you put the controller down.

Check the comments, already a lot of different complaints on them, but i'm glad you havent had bad dualshocks haha.

My DualShock somehow caught my joycons drift. Now it just moves on it's own....
Between the DualShock 4 and the gold headsets I'm about to go third party with theses accessories lol

Yeah, that's the problem I have with a current controllers i'm using. It's midnight blue and it drifts, it's horrible for competitive fps.
I have an older one, silver, and that works fine, but I use it less so that at least I have a perfectly good one lol.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've had the same controller since the day I bought my PS4 four and a half years ago and it works and looks like the first day. Zero problems, no peeling, no issues. Then again I've never had a problem with any controller ever. Which makes me ask... What the fuck are you guys doing with yours lol

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i like mine for the occasional game i play on my laptop, but it's got its problems. my X button is mushy and gets stuck and the battery life is really bad. i don't use it too much tho, otherwise i probably would have bought a X1 controller.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
The first waves of ds4s are pretty bad with the rubber falling off.

But the revision that came with PS4 pro is still nice, haven't had any break.

Oct 25, 2017
Check the comments, already a lot of different complaints on them, but i'm glad you havent had bad dualshocks haha.

Yeah, that's the problem I have with a current controllers i'm using. It's midnight blue and it drifts, it's horrible for competitive fps.
I have an older one, silver, and that works fine, but I use it less so that at least I have a perfectly good one lol.
Like I literally just got the berry one at best 3 months ago and it's drifting... I don't even use it either. My primary died on me playing a game so I didn't have a choice turned the controller on and bomb drift...

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have three. One from my launch PS4 (Nov, 2013) one from a christmas present the year after (Dec 2014), and one with my PS4 Pro (Nov, 2016)

So they're 6, 5 and 3 years old - all function and look as if brand new.

OP
OP
AllMight1

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still on my two DS4 controllers that I bought at launch with the PS4 itself. Battery life is shorter than I would like, but it's not really an issue.
Seems like bundled controllers with the ps4 have better quality.

i legit never had an issue with my DS4 controllers, i never get the complaints about them, or better yet, what are you doing to these controllers that breaks them so much, lol.

Seriously? nothing at all, I don't eat while I play so they're not dirty and there's no dust or anything where I play, it's kept clean. I just play a lot, 2 to 5 hours daily, depending the day and free time. One controller delivered from Amazon went bad 2 weeks in from the analog sticks (drift) but I was able to return it for my money back.

EliR

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
I have two blacks from my day of purchasing my PS4 3 years ago. They work perfectly fine. That said; I absolutely hate the controllers, but that doesn't warrant the 'trash' label.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite controller. Most comfortable, ergonomic, and effective. Switch Pro comes close, but its digital shoulder buttons keep it from greatness.

Own several, including my original launch ds4, and never had a problem

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Ehhhh. Nah.

The light bar is stupid and annoying when it reflects off my screen. The touchpad is severely under-utilized. The battery life is seriously pathetic, lasting barely 1/5th as long as any other controller on the market. But ergonomically, I think it feels good to hold. The softness of the buttons feel much better to press than the clicky XB1 buttons. I think the feedback on the triggers is about perfect.

I'd give it about a 7/10. Maybe the weakest of the current gen controllers, but by no means bad.

I think the perfect controller lay somewhere between the XB1 controller (D-pad, sticks), DS4 (face buttons, triggers), and Switch Pro (size, weight distribution, soft handles).

And I've never broken a single controller in about 25 years of console gaming. Worn out over a decade+ of use, sure. Broken, never. I can't even fathom how one would even do it with "regular" use. This shit doesn't break.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I've had my DualShock 4 since the time the Pro launched in 2016 and can't say I've had any issues with it, outside wishing it had better battery life.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I have the 20th Anniversary controller and have been using it for nearly four years now (a friend gave it to me as a birthday gift) but the USB port completely fried so I had to get that fixed for $15 at a local mom and pop shop.

Outside of that, I rarely had issues with it.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I play close to a thousand hours per year on my Pro and still use the Magma Red Dualshock I bought in 2016. Even the battery life is still the same since I bought it.

Don't know. Pretty awesome controller if you ask me.