• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Have you made up your mind?

• Yes, Xbox

Votes: 440 11.7%
  • Yes, PS5

Votes: 1,837 48.8%
  • No, still waiting

Votes: 326 8.7%
  • Not getting either at launch

Votes: 836 22.2%
  • Getting both at launch

Votes: 328 8.7%

• Total voters

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I keep flipping between XSX and PS5. Price isn't much of a factor as long as they're within $100 of each other, but there's a few arguments for each.
I decided on XSX at first because I already have investment in the Xbox ecosystem with my XOX. Halo is my all time favorite franchise and I really like the value of Gamepass as somebody who doesn't buy as many games as I used to. I also prefer the hardware aesthetic because all of my hardware sits out in the open where me and my family have to look at it every day. My XOX is tucked upright between some large books and it blends in perfectly. The Halo: Infinite reveal will probably be the deciding factor if it's XSX enhancements compared to XOX seem worth it.
On the other hand, I did not have a PS4 this gen and missed out on a bunch of single player exclusives. Especially Spider-Man, which is the biggest draw for me. I also play more single-player than I used to and that seems to be Sony's forte. BC is obviously going to be a big factor for me, so I need to see the receipts on exactly which games will be compatible and will probably have to spring for the PS5 with a disc drive. All that being said, those games would still be waiting for me (improves even with patches) if I waited for a slim revision. I'm not a big fan of the PS5's size and look for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

What about you? It seems like a lot of people already have their minds made up, but is anybody else on the fence?

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I do not have the information yet.
Need to hear more about backwards compatibility for one thing.

Silent Hill would also be an instant buy.

GhoulOne

Mar 4, 2018
It depends.If all the games are $70 I'll just get the Xbox and play stuff on game pass. Otherwise I might get both

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
I think most people will stick to what ecosystem they are currently in. I can't see how either MS or Sony have really shown enough to make people go through the trouble of switching, and leaving their friends/library behind. That's a big ask and unless one side does something completely stupid (PS3 price reveal / Xbox one launch conference) I can't see it making much of a difference.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I always go PC + Sony + Nintendo, and I get to play 99% of the games so I'm just going to keep doing that.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Not torn, not getting either.

There's nothing that's been shown so far that interests me much. Maybe in a couple of years.

Thanks to Nintendo breaking the generational sync, it's not like I'll be starved for new games to play either

Siobhan

Oct 28, 2017
I'm probably going to get a PS5, but I admit I am actually considering Xbox, whereas for this previous generation the thought never even occurred to me. I probably won't buy either right at launch, though.

Seedy87

Jan 4, 2018
Waiting on Microsoft's first-party event this month to firm up which I will be buying first. I certainly prefer their approach to back-compatibility on Xbox (One / Series X), which I feel is something that Sony has misjudged unless they are holding out on some news about it.

So, I'm leaning towards Xbox Series X at the moment, but, as always, it comes down to the games that will come at launch and beyond. I'm hoping that both companies start to outline when everything will release, as great as it is to see them all in action.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Not really. Not getting PS5 at launch, will wait for a must have game for myself and Xbox is not even an option with all games being on PC.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I already know I won't get either at launch since I normally avoid getting new gens for at least 6 months in case of issues and due to lack of games making the investment worthwhile.
I also know I won't be getting an Xbox anytime soon due to all its exclusives also being available on PC. One day I might get one to replace my 360, if the games I'm interested in are ever added to back compat.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I feel like it has to be difficult to swap ecosystems at this point. Especially with BC now being there—between BC and the lack of cross console play, aren't you sort of bought into a system already?

I guess if all of your friends swap, it works out okay, but otherwise I feel like system swappers have to be in the minority

Plidex

Oct 30, 2017
I never considered the Xbox an option. The only reason I got a PS3 and PS4 was because of exclusives, and now their exclusives are stronger than ever.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
PS5 for exclusives and third-party and then will just sub to GamePass on PC for any of Xbox exclusives that look interesting.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I'm leaning Ps5 because playstation is what I am used to, but they just need to reveal the prices.

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
PS5 at launch, and I have a PC to play any Microsoft studios games. There's not even a choice involved for me.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Both-1451920152.gif

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Without knowing the launch lineup of either console, I'm nowhere near the point of making a decision. It's completely up in the air whether I'll get one or the other, both or neither console at launch.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not yet decided, but Gamepass and smart delivery has me leaning towards Xbox.

Eventually I'll get both.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm already set on the PS5 because of my giant library of PS4 games and also because I own a capable gaming PC. Love what MS has been doing, services and hardware-wise so I'm still keen on what they are cooking up. Lockhart is my most anticipated console because it honestly sounds super smart.

MS do make it hard still with their outstanding BC support and upcoming features such as Auto-HDR

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
PS5. Xbox offers me nothing I really want.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Assuming Series X has Halo at launch the I'll be getting both. Also assuming Series X is going to have better looking 3rd party titles.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely am getting PS5, there is no question about that.
For Xbox I need to see the event first.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Always been a PlayStation guy with Xbox as the second console and Nintendo as it's own thing. So PS5 is definitely day one, xbox will be for when there is an exclusive I really want. Don't have a log of affinity with Halo or Gears, so it will depend on their new studios and if there is enough descripancy with the xbox one x version to warrant the upgrade

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
Microsoft needs original IP that isn't Gears, Forza, or HALO. Buying studios is the right thing, but you can't compare State of Decay to the Likes of 1st party output of Sony top tier. Excited to see them come out swinging this gen. Hopefully they deliver.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, if I'm going to get a console at launch, it'll be a PS5. The dilemma I'm facing is whether or not I'll actually buy it at launch though.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Yes. I'm excited for Death Loop on PS5 and Miles Morales...but that's kinda it. The PS4 has become my "social console", so whenever I want to talk with friends or play games with them I turn on my PS4. So if they all decide to get a PS5 then I'll jump along with them (seeing as any multi-player games, I would buy on PS5 since my friends are on that platform).

On Xbox Series X, I'm excited to get back into Halo and be there on a fresh multi-player population with Halo Infinite, I'm expecting Forza, which is my favorite racing sim franchise, and of course we still have a whole event in a few weeks that will hopefully push me over the ledge. I REALLY like the design of the Xbox Series X and I'm excited for the power, I want to be blown away from it. Also I have a pretty sizable back catelog with Xbox going back even to the OG Xbox, so being able to play all of my old games is a big sell for me.

tophu

Oct 27, 2017
as someone with a decent PC, i feel there is literally no reason to get a series x. I will be there day one with all their exclusives on gamepass.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
I just need Demon's Souls at launch. If not, it's easy wait for a bundle with 2-3 free games in a year..
Maybe MS have more interesting stuff planned for launch this time? We'll see in a month or two.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I'm getting the Series X at launch, and the PS5 holiday 2021.

Xbox BC program support and HDR
Halo Infinite
Game Pass
Xcloud

No brainer for me personally.