• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I like the idea of these, but the ones I've seen in person had shitty scaling. Do they come with any adjustable video options?

Colloco

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
florida
CotA is a 2d 1v1 fighting game. You're confusing that with the 6p x-men konami beat'em up.
You're thinking of the Konami game. This is the Capcom fighting game.
Youre thinking of the wrong game
COTA was a fighter. You're thinking of the X-Men arcade game by Konami.

I should know better, I used to play Cota on my freinds Sega Saturn all the time as a kid, so that Konami beatemup isn't included?

That's the only reason I was excited for this.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Fuucck...Punisher is one of my all time favorite arcade games, especially from a nostalgia perspective. I really can't justify this. I don't have the space, and really I'd probably never even use it. Hopefully this thing never goes on sale.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I own the Street Fighter 2 cabinet and man, can I not recommend these at all. I got mine as a Christmas gift and put it together around new years day. I am unable to screw the ball onto one of the sticks because there is a defect with the rod. There are several dead pixels on the monitor as well as a dead bug or something stuck under the screen... This stuff happens, I understand.

I reach out to Arcade1up customer support and just get nothing for a while. I understand its the holidays. Several weeks later, they respond asking for a video of the screen. I send it. They say there isn't enough dead pixels to replace the screen. My wife talks to them and they finally agree to replace both parts. This is two months later. Now, I'm supposed to wait 6 weeks for the new pieces.

Two and half months later, just the screen arrives. No new stick or return label like they said they would send. We email them again and after another week or so they send out a new joystick. It arrives fairly quickly and I take apart the cabinet and to install the new screen, easy enough. I take the plastic cover off the board and realize that everything in there is messily hotglued together and I would have to strip the glue from the stick and all the wires to replace it.... I end up just forcing the ball on. W/e

Since I still I don't have a return label to get rid of the old monitor, I email them again to ask to get the return label. They inform that they are no longer taking returns on bad pieces and I get to keep this bad monitor.... Yay

Dealing with Arcade1up is worse than dealing with the DMV or your ISP... If this wasn't a gift that the person had bought months before Christmas, I would've return it right away.

Its kind of fun to have this little cabinet, but these issues aside, its almost too small for two adults to play even with the stand and the sound is so terrible with only one small speaker on the right side of the board.
Quality has always been my question on these. Any one else have bad experiences with these?

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
giphy.gif

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I find it kind of crazy that(to my knowledge) it's not available to purchase anywhere, such a fun game.
It comes down to licenses. It had a slight resurgence during the 360 days with the game being available through Xbox Live and it had a few other ports, like Android. Basically, to re-sell it Konami has to pay Marvel for the X-Men license again even though Konami owns the code. And it's not always feasible.

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
My dream 1UP cabinet is a Donkey Kong machine, but I don't know if Nintendo would ever play ball on that one.

donkey-kong-cabinet.jpg

I would've thought that a few years ago, but with their increased focus on licensing the last few years and them letting Hamster publish their old arcade games on Switch, I doubt it's impossible. Maybe a few more hoops to jump through because they're a western company, but apparently Arcade1up has a presence in Japan, so you never know.

I agree, though. I love the house style of the Nintendo cabs with the artwork around the glass. DK Jr would be the one to break me, though it would probably be bundled in a cab with the OG DK art.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Wow. And here I thought I was never going to buy one of these. What's the over under on the TMNT games having their proper soundtracks? I know that historically there have been strange legal issues around the soundtracks in those games and they've put out roms of these games before with the music replaced...

Also, they made the right choice not going with the Turtles in Time cabinet art:

2038ee183ed522b6696a002638633915.jpg

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Wow. And here I thought I was never going to buy one of these. What's the over under on the TMNT games having their proper soundtracks? I know that historically there have been strange legal issues around the soundtracks in those games and they've put out roms of these games before with the music replaced...
I thought the music was only changed for the remake.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I thought the music was only changed for the remake.

So for the PS2 era Konami developed TMNT games they included roms of TMNT 1989 and Turtles in Time and those roms did not have the original OSTs.

I think this is because Fred Wolf Films owns the classic TMNT cartoon theme, so they'd have to sublicense it, as it's interwoven into some of the bgm.

Right. So do we think they did that work here? I will say that for me, if the games don't have the original OSTs then this is a hard pass.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought two of the height-increasing pedestals on clearance last year for $15, having no use for them.

Looks like they won't go to waste!

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Beat em ups are not fun to own. With free play there is no challenge. You'll beat it once and it will sit there collecting dust.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
i hope this stuff didn't replace the physical console collections. i don't have space for all this hardware and i doubt they sell this stuff in my area anyway.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
So now, we have the following:
  • Asteroids (with Major Havoc, Lunar Lander, & Tempest)
  • Centipede (with Missile Command, Crystal Castles, & Millipede),
  • Final Fight (with 1944: The Loop Master, Ghosts 'N Goblins, & Strider),
  • Galaga (with Galaxian),
  • Golden Tee Classic (with Golden Tee '98, 99, & 2K),
  • Karate Champ (with Burgertime, Caveman Ninja, & Bad Dudes Vs. DragonNinja),
  • Marvel Super Heroes (with X-Men: Children of the Atom, & The Punisher),
  • Mortal Kombat II (with Mortal Kombat 1 & Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3),
  • Pac-Man (with Pac-Man Plus),
  • Rampage (with Gauntlet, Joust & Defender),
  • Space Invaders (Color) (with Space Invaders Black & White),
  • Street Fighter II: Champion Edition (with Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers, & Super Street Fighter II Turbo), &
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles '89 (with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles In Time).

What else will Arcade1up (or Tastemasters) come up with next?

Last edited:

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
That X-Men cabinet is so tempting, but not at that size and with inputs for only 2 players.
EDIT: whoops, I'm an idiot. Thought it also included the X-Men beat em up.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
How tall were the originals? These seem very short.

It varies from machine to machine, but the average arcade cabinet was about 67"' in height. The Arcade1Up cabinets use a standard form factor that's 46.5" in height.

Quality has always been my question on these. Any one else have bad experiences with these?

I picked up an Asteroids cabinet two weeks ago when Walmart was clearancing them out at $75. The LCD screen that came with my unit has about a dozen dead pixels spread out in the upper right-hand corner of the screen. They aren't clumped together, so I don't notice them during gameplay. The stock spinner control they included with this cabinet is garbage. It is a cheap digital dial that is screwed in too tightly into the cabinet. It makes Tempest and Major Havoc virtually unplayable. The worst issue I had with the cabinet was the screen bezel pleziglas. The inside was full of scuff marks, scraches, and particle board dust, as if someone at the factory dropped it on the floor and then installed it without a wipe down.

For $75 I can't complain too much, it was a decent buy at that price. The cabinet looks pretty spiff as a decoration for my game room. I would've been very annoyed if I paid the full $300 though. Since I bought it, I replaced the crappy stock spinner with a metal GRS spinner and removed/washed the bezel to get rid of the more egregious imperfections. The screen looks better now and the new spinner makes Tempest/Havoc play much closer to their true arcade counterparts. It's a cheap kit, but I still should've have had to put that work into it to make it presentable and fully functional.

From what I've read from people who bought the latest cabinets, the quality has been ticking upward. People comparing the MK to SF2 cabinets have noticed the LCD screen and controls on the MK cab appear higher quality. I'm hopeful that Marvel/TMNT cabs will continue that trend upward.

Edit: For my bad experience with the Asteroids cabinet, I'd still think the Arcade1Up is a great concept for people who don't want to roll their own MAME cabinets and (when they go on sale) as a cheap starter base for a MAME cabinet. The quality on the first set of cabinets were lacking, but it seems like those issues are getting ironed out as new cabs are being released. That TMNT cab is super tempting to me even at $350.

It comes down to licenses. It had a slight resurgence during the 360 days with the game being available through Xbox Live and it had a few other ports, like Android. Basically, to re-sell it Konami has to pay Marvel for the X-Men license again even though Konami owns the code. And it's not always feasible.

I'm honestly surprised Arcade1Up went to the effort to secure the TMNT license. I recall reading the TMNT arcade games required licencing from Konami, Nickelodeon, and a 3rd party that owned the rights to the '80s cartoon theme song/voice acting.

Last edited:

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
The price is too high for the quality of these arcade cabinets after having played one a fair bit at work, but that TMNT is dope

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I'm honestly surprised Arcade1Up went to the effort to secure the TMNT license. I recall reading the TMNT arcade games required licencing from Konami, Nickelodeon, and a 3rd party that owned the rights to the '80s cartoon theme song/voice acting.
From what I understand, the company that owned the '80s cartoon stuff is also owned by Nick and/or Paramount. It's why Bebop and Rocksteady weren't in any movies until the last TMNT movie. So it would just be Konami and Nickelodeon that they'd have to negotiate with.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

• Final Fight (with 1944: The Loop Master, Ghosts 'N Goblins & Strider),
  • Street Fighter II: Champion Edition (with Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers, & Super Street Fighter II Turbo),
  • Marvel Super Heroes (with X-Men: Children of the Atom, & The Punisher), &
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles '89 (with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles In Time).
MvC2, NBA Jam/Blitz, X-Men Konami, Simpsons. Those are gimmes

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
why do people want the konami simpsons or x-men games, they suck

the turtles games are pretty good despite the fact they're konami beat em ups

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely don't need one of these things, but MSH is my favorite arcade game and I spent a ton of time one of them, so it's cool to see.

Maybe if I had a basement.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this means the Turtles game will be hitting consoles soon because I can't justify how much space these take.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

• Final Fight (with 1944: The Loop Master, Ghosts 'N Goblins, & Strider),
  • Street Fighter II: Champion Edition (with Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers, & Super Street Fighter II Turbo),
  • Marvel Super Heroes (with X-Men: Children of the Atom, & The Punisher), &
Easy, Marvel vs. Capcom (with MvC1, MvC2, X-Men vs. Street Fighter, & Marvel vs. Street Fighter)

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I told myself when 1up started doing these i was never going to buy them and now im buying 2. Damn you for targeting my 2 biggest weaknesses TMNT and Marvel.