• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
They already made For Honor and it was quite successful. The FGC didn't care because the game is too different from traditional fighters, but if they make another one it'll probably be in the same style.

Well, even For Honor needed quite a bit of fixing out of the gate, but yes, it evolved into a pretty amazing experience.

I'm just sayin', hey Ubisoft, maybe...opt to help publish power rangers 2. Just Saiyan.

Yeah, its just requirements at this point. I think you just hurt your game otherwise.

You absolutely do. It's a hell of a thing to have people who are very excited to spend money on your product tell people not to buy the game because of netcode and crossplay. Everyone should figure out a solution at this point, there really is no excuse.

Dec 23, 2017
We've been pushing for Cross Play for a long time, but these requests are still falling on deaf ears.

At this point this has become really stupid.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh I really wish every fighting game on PC would have crossplay. I don't trust that any of them will have a large enough community with just PC.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I've come to find out if a fighting game is dead on PC it's pretty much dead on every other platform as well. That's why cross platform play should be a thing.

Niche fighting games are niche everywhere.
Rollback alone will go a long way for consoles if Strive is anything close to past Arcsys games with its online playerbase. The numbers were solid enough in my experience, it's just that finding stable connections could be difficult.

This is definitely a case of PC getting hurt mostly, due to having a lower pool of players. If people want a larger playerbase, then the console version will be recommended.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
For every cool thing I hear or see, it feels like 2 negatives pop up. In addition of having no matchmaking, you're going to lower your potential playerbase too?

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Since the players managed to nag rollback into the game, let's see if we can do the same with crossplay.

Xotl5O6.png

The form is here, everybody please send them a ton of requests so they seriously consider doing it. Even if it took until a bit after launch to implement, that would be better than nothing.
I did this months ago. I didn't know the form is still available, but yes everyone should try, though I don't have much hope. I feel like the time has passed.
Not saying it's not impossible or out of the realm. But when we're pulling teeth just to get rollback, don't be surprised when it's even harder to get them to do crossplay.

I assume since Rangers is on Unity there's better tools for it too.
Kinda doubt there's better tools for crossplay in unity than with an engine designed by Epic, who we specifically know has a free service for that very thing.

Sep 7, 2020
Rollback alone will go a long way for consoles if Strive is anything close to past Arcsys games with its online playerbase. The numbers were solid enough in my experience, it's just that finding stable connections could be difficult.

This is definitely a case of PC getting hurt mostly, due to having a lower pool of players. If people want a larger playerbase, then the console version will be recommended.
I am not a video game developer and I don't want to trivialize what they do but if you know that the decision may impact your PC user base, why not just make the game cross-play? I could understand if this was a FPS, RTS, etc where mouse and keyboard would give you an advantage but I don't understand how this wasn't an easy choice to just make it cross-play from the start. I hope someone can educate me on the matter because it just doesn't make sense unless its a substantial increase in money or resources to make it happen, although small budget games like Power Rangers have this option sooo........

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I am not a video game developer and I don't want to trivialize what they do but if you know that the decision may impact your PC user base, why not just make the game cross-play? I could understand if this was a FPS, RTS, etc where mouse and keyboard would give you an advantage but I don't understand how this wasn't an easy choice to just make it cross-play from the start. I hope someone can educate me on the matter because it just doesn't make sense unless its a substantial increase in money or resources to make it happen, although small budget games like Power Rangers have this option sooo........
I agree, it's a really strange choice. I don't know why Arcsys wouldn't go for crossplay after deciding to retroactively add rollback to Strive, something that is well documented as being incredibly difficult.

The idea that they just don't care makes no sense, so i can only imagine something more is going on behind the scenes. Especially when there's a pattern of no PC crossplay for many fighting games, sure Power Rangers has it, but something as big as Mortal Kombat doesn't?

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I agree, it's a really strange choice. I don't know why Arcsys wouldn't go for crossplay after deciding to retroactively add rollback to Strive, something that is well documented as being incredibly difficult.

The idea that they just don't care makes no sense, so i can only imagine something more is going on behind the scenes. Especially when there's a pattern of no PC crossplay for many fighting games, sure Power Rangers has it, but something as big as Mortal Kombat doesn't?

PC crossplay is more common then across consoles. There's Power Rangers, Street Fighter V, Killer Instinct and Fantasy Strike. MK is the weird one out

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB

Mortal Kombat actually has crossplay in unranked rooms already. No confirmation yet if the Ultimate Edition of MK11 will change that to full crossplay.
Update: sorry, missed the part about PC in particular. I assume it's because PC/Switch aren't developed by NRS. Still, something I hope changes going forward.

Last edited:

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
PC crossplay is more common then across consoles. There's Power Rangers, Street Fighter V, Killer Instinct and Fantasy Strike. MK is the weird one out
And if one of the fighting games making the most money hasn't done it, while also making one of the bigger pushes for how necessary rollback is for the genre.

Then I get the feeling that it isn't as simple as "X game could do it".

Maybe I'm wrong and it is on someone at Arcsys, but I just don't have enough info to be confident that's the case right now.

OP
OP
The Turbanator
Oct 25, 2017
I did this months ago. I didn't know the form is still available, but yes everyone should try, though I don't have much hope. I feel like the time has passed.
Even crossplay coming out 6 months after launch, so long as it doesn't take until Season 2 or whatever, would be a big boost to this game's lifespan. It just has to hit before the game reaches the point of no return.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Even crossplay coming out 6 months after launch, so long as it doesn't take until Season 2 or whatever, would be a big boost to this game's lifespan. It just has to hit before the game reaches the point of no return.
I agree, but I just don't see them implementing it if they haven't already.

And let's face it, the PC version is never a priority for them.

On that note, can't wait to see just how badly SNK sabotage the PC version of KoFXV...

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
And if one of the fighting games making the most money hasn't done it, while also making one of the bigger pushes for how necessary rollback is for the genre.

Then I get the feeling that it isn't as simple as "X game could do it".

Maybe I'm wrong and it is on someone at Arcsys, but I just don't have enough info to be confident that's the case right now.
The only reason mk hasn't done it with PC is because the PC version of NRS games are not handled in house. They tend to get updates later than consoles as a result which makes it difficult to manage crossplay. Same reason the switch version isn't included.

To my knowledge, no other fighting game dev handles PC versions that way. They work on them internally. NRS are an anomaly.

They can look to another big fighting game - not as big in sales, but far bigger competitively - Street Fighter V. Capcom had the good sense to do crossplay with PS4 and PC as well as rollback Netcode way back in 2016.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, but I just don't see them implementing it if they haven't already.

And let's face it, the PC version is never a priority for them.

On that note, can't wait to see just how badly SNK sabotage the PC version of KoFXV...
Well, unlike Strive, SNK hasn't commented on rollback yet, and their delay based netcode is significantly worse than Arcsys'...

I really hope them letting Code Mystics update 2002 with rollback is a sign for 15.

The only reason mk hasn't done it with PC is because the PC version of NRS games are not handled in house. They tend to get updates later than consoles as a result which makes it difficult to manage crossplay. Same reason the switch version isn't included.

To my knowledge, no other fighting game dev handles PC versions that way. They work on them internally. NRS are an anomaly.

They can look to another big fighting game - not as big in sales, but far bigger competitively - Street Fighter V. Capcom had the good sense to do crossplay with PS4 and PC as well as rollback Netcode way back in 2016.
Fair enough on MK, though that just makes the separation of playerbases sound even worse if they're not getting updates at the same time.

SFV was a Sony partnership game though, so it's situation is unique for pulling that off during a time we know Sony wasn't too interested in crossplay.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Since the players managed to nag rollback into the game, let's see if we can do the same with crossplay.

Xotl5O6.png

The form is here, everybody please send them a ton of requests so they seriously consider doing it. Even if it took until a bit after launch to implement, that would be better than nothing.

Just sent the form requesting PC crossplay. Thanks for this!

That being said, how can smaller titles have crossplay and an ASW game can't? This is their premiere franchise and it honestly should be included.

I will wait for reviews on the PS4/PS5 version regardless to make sure rollback is good.

Aug 26, 2018
日本
Yeah, buying the PS4 version if you're buying digital makes the most sense.

I imagine that note is there for PS4 buyers who play on PS5 from the disc without downloading the PS5 version.
I wonder if you buy the digital PS5 version, if it'll credit you with the PS4 version, or if it only works the one way. I almost get why it'd only work the one way, but that's probably something they should clarify.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
No not really. Sony never had an issue with crossplay with PC/Steam. It was always with other consoles.
Sony's issues with crossplay are pretty well documented at this point, and they've only officially changed their stance on it late last year.

Crossplay is definitely not something devs can just decide to do on their own. Supposedly Sony isn't an issue anymore, but the fighting game round table indicated there's still other hoops devs have to jump through for it we don't know about.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Sony's issues with crossplay are pretty well documented at this point, and they've only officially changed their stance on it late last year.
I'm well aware of Sony and their issues with crossplay. I say again, PC was never a problem for them.

I remember PC/PS3 cross-play in Portal 2. FFXIV. Fortnite used to have crossplay with PS4 and PC long before that whole crossplay/sony/epic account thing blew up. David Sirlin (Fantasy Strike) specifically said as much when the game got crossplay with PC and PS4, and PC and Switch, but not PS4 and Switch. After Sony relaxed their restrictions, the game got full crossplay.

Crossplay is definitely not something devs can just decide to do on their own. Supposedly Sony isn't an issue anymore, but the fighting game round table indicated there's still other hoops devs have to jump through for it we don't know about.

I don't see it really. The only hoops we know of are that you need the account/server infrastructure for it, which doesn't seem a huge task given that indie developers are doing it.

Battle for the Grid just didn't bother to include the PS4 in crossplay at all and kept it among PC, Switch, and XBOX - but again, quickly included the PS4 after Sony changed their stance. If small devs like Sirlin Games and nWay can enable crossplay, there shouldn't be anything stopping the likes of ArcSys and Bandai Namco, etc. Is Sony going to stand in their way? Arika - who have talked about and tested adding crossplay to Fighting EX Layer as well, were at that same Roundtable you mentioned. To me, it sounded like those present were speaking of their talks with Sony in the past, not currently. We see crossplay games happening all the time now, from giant publishers to tiny indie devs. There really shouldn't be any excuse going forward.

Last edited:

BackwardCap

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Weird that there are so many people speculating how it must be so difficult to add cross-play when we already have a multitude of sources with fewer resources getting it done.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I'm well aware of Sony and their issues with crossplay. I say again, PC was never a problem for them.

I remember PC/PS3 cross-play in Portal 2. FFXIV. Fortnite used to have crossplay with PS4 and PC long before that whole crossplay/sony/epic account thing blew up. David Sirlin (Fantasy Strike) specifically said as much when the game got crossplay with PC and PS4, and PC and Switch, but not PS4 and Switch. After Sony relaxed their restrictions, the game got full crossplay.

I don't see it really. The only hoops we know of are that you need the account/server infrastructure for it, which doesn't seem a huge task given that indie developers are doing it.

Battle for the Grid just didn't bother to include the PS4 in crossplay at all and kept it among PC, Switch, and XBOX - but again, quickly included the PS4 after Sony changed their stance. If small devs like Sirlin Games and nWay can enable crossplay, there shouldn't be anything stopping the likes of ArcSys and Bandai Namco, etc. Is Sony going to stand in their way? Arika - who have talked about and tested adding crossplay to Fighting EX Layer as well, were at that same Roundtable you mentioned. To me, it sounded like those present were speaking of their talks with Sony in the past, not currently. We see crossplay games happening all the time now, from giant publishers to tiny indie devs. There really shouldn't be any excuse going forward.

Weird that there are so many people speculating how it must be so difficult to add cross-play when we already have a multitude of sources with fewer resources getting it done.
One game does it, so why not another, is not a good argument. It's just assuming with no real info into what is needed.

If we got some information from devs explaining the process and requirements and it is really just up to them at this point, no trouble with the platforms anymore or any other outside factor, then cool, let's blame the devs.

Keits

Designer at Iron Galaxy Studios
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Orlando, FL
Cross play is a real good thing, but it does require you to maintain your own account and matchmaking systems rather than using what the platform holder offers. This means it has an ongoing cost associated with it, and it is a non-trivial cost that includes maintenance, customer service, etc.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Cross play is a real good thing, but it does require you to maintain your own account and matchmaking systems rather than using what the platform holder offers. This means it has an ongoing cost associated with it, and it is a non-trivial cost that includes maintenance, customer service, etc.
Is it safe to say then that if you didn't plan for it from the start, it's unlikely it'll be added in either during or after development?

I ask because I always assumed small devs like nWay and Sirlin Games recognised that their games likely wouldn't survive without crossplay and so they made it a priority from the beginning, whereas many bigger studios don't see it as so much of a priority (including ArcSys who probably feel that PS4/PS5 crossplay is 'enough').

Keits

Designer at Iron Galaxy Studios
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Orlando, FL
Jaded Alyx Its all just a question of time/money. Someone makes decisions about what is worth the time/money, and no matter how late in the project, all it takes is that person or persons deciding its worth doing.

It is probably not worth doing if its a game that has already sold most of its copies and has no upcoming DLC. But it may be worth doing to salvage a shrinking community of a game that has future content plans they need to monetize.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Jaded Alyx Its all just a question of time/money. Someone makes decisions about what is worth the time/money, and no matter how late in the project, all it takes is that person or persons deciding its worth doing.

It is probably not worth doing if its a game that has already sold most of its copies and has no upcoming DLC. But it may be worth doing to salvage a shrinking community of a game that has future content plans they need to monetize.

This got me thinking that fans have been making petitions and sending feedback to studios all wrong.

They're appealing to the emotional side when it should be a business justification.

"Please reconsider implementing cross play functionality to the PC version of the game as it would be beneficial to retaining the pool of potential customers for future monetization plans. This would also impact brand reputation in a positive way."

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
As always, if the Power Rangers fighting game can manage Cross-platform play. I just don't see why bigger companies are having this much trouble with it from a funding aspect. You want the FGC to grow and for more players to be active which in-turn means more DLC purchases and the like? You get cross-play in there.

This got me thinking that fans have been making petitions and sending feedback to studios all wrong.

They're appealing to the emotional side when it should be a business justification.

"Please reconsider implementing cross play functionality to the PC version of the game as it would be beneficial to retaining the pool of potential customers for future monetization plans. This would also impact brand reputation in a positive way."

LMAO, yes! We should just start slapping this on all the surveys. Would probably work better.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
As always, if the Power Rangers fighting game can manage Cross-platform play. I just don't see why bigger companies are having this much trouble with it from a funding aspect. You want the FGC to grow and for more players to be active which in-turn means more DLC purchases and the like? You get cross-play in there.

LMAO, yes! We should just start slapping this on all the surveys. Would probably work better.

It's also short enough that you can slap a Japanese version for good measures.

将来の収益化計画のために潜在的な顧客のプールを維持することは有益であるため、ゲームのPCバージョンにクロスプレイ機能を実装することを再検討してください。これは、ブランドの評判にもプラスの影響を与えます。

^google translated, probably not grammatically accurate.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
2013 ass Killer Instinct has crossplay with Xbox and STEAM, really no excuses now. Fighting games, in 2020 and beyond, NEED full crossplay, otherwise the versions of it that are excluded are basically full wastes of money for players that like their chosen platform and want to invest in the game. Power Rangers being the prime example, having lobbies full of my friends regardless of machine, AND being able to access the full pool of players online is massive.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

将来の収益化計画のために潜在的な顧客のプールを維持することは有益であるため、ゲームのPCバージョンにクロスプレイ機能を実装することを再検討してください。これは、ブランドの評判にもプラスの影響を与えます。

This was translated by Apple, so I'm not sure if it's better or worse.

今後モニターの計画の潜在的な顧客のプールを維持することが有益であるため、このゲームのゲームの機能をCバージョンの機能を実行することを再検討してください。これはまた、ブランド名声に肯定的な影響を与えるはずだ。

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Poo. Presumably because Sony pays for PS servers and valve pays for steam servers and ASW isn't willing or capable to fund and maintain their own matchmaking servers. Honestly they have so many fighting games that it would probably be a good investment.

I'm sure PS will have the larger playerbase at launch, but over time I wouldn't be surprised if PC outstripped it as casuals drop it and more dedicated players remain.

Aug 26, 2018
日本

(Lives in Japan) This is actually pretty decent. Maybe a tad unnatural/stilted, but it should be readily understood.

This was translated by Apple, so I'm not sure if it's better or worse.

今後モニターの計画の潜在的な顧客のプールを維持することが有益であるため、このゲームのゲームの機能をCバージョンの機能を実行することを再検討してください。これはまた、ブランド名声に肯定的な影響を与えるはずだ。
This one, no. lol

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Best way to go about trying to get PC crossplay is likely to just keep making noise.

I doubt the ones that decide budgeting are the ones reading the feedback, and the argument probably has already been made to them for potential profit. Convincing those that budget and/or invest in the game would make a lot of sense as one of the hurdles when they talked about wanting to have it but run into trouble.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
It will definitely hurt the playerbase on PC and matchmaking will probably end up being pretty hard down the line. Optional Cross-Play should be a thing on all multiplayer titles tbh (When you can choose if you'll only play against PS4/5 players or PS4/5+PC [in fact Sony should make that toggle mandatory for devs wanting to implement crossplay IMO]). But still, the decision makes sense for ASW, they probably don't have the means to maintain their own servers tbh.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Best way to go about trying to get PC crossplay is likely to just keep making noise.

I doubt the ones that decide budgeting are the ones reading the feedback, and the argument probably has already been made to them for potential profit. Convincing those that budget and/or invest in the game would make a lot of sense as one of the hurdles when they talked about wanting to have it but run into trouble.

How I bet this went down is the decision makers going "Do you have any study that suggests this would be a worth while endeavor?".

With this, at least it's something the devs can bring to the meeting.

It will definitely hurt the playerbase on PC and matchmaking will probably end up being pretty hard down the line. Optional Cross-Play should be a thing on all multiplayer titles tbh (When you can choose if you'll only play against PS4/5 players or PS4/5+PC [in fact Sony should make that toggle mandatory for devs wanting to implement crossplay IMO]). But still, the decision makes sense for ASW, they probably don't have the means to maintain their own servers tbh.

It's the same with Rollback, they just need to have it hammered at them repeatedly.

And just like with Rollback, it'll take 10 years lol.

But yeah, it's probably got to do with the trouble of having a universal account that Arc has to manage themselves.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
How I bet this went down is the decision makers going "Do you have any study that suggests this would be a worth while endeavor?".

With this, at least it's something the devs can bring to the meeting.

The Strive survey is likely what pushed rollback over the edge to convince those deciding the budgets that this is something people really want.

There would have been people pushing for it internally long before it happened, but it needed that noticeable vocal support, and the same will likely be the case with PC crossplay. We know it's something the devs would like because of the roundtable at least, but it probably won't be easy(and if MvCI didn't have it despite SFV, I get the feeling the fight for it is a lot harder than most expect).

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
The Strive survey is likely what pushed rollback over the edge to convince those deciding the budgets that this is something people really want.

There would have been people pushing for it internally long before it happened, but it needed that noticeable vocal support, and the same will likely be the case with PC crossplay. We know it's something the devs would like because of the roundtable at least, but it probably won't be easy(and if MvCI didn't have it despite SFV, I get the feeling the fight for it is a lot harder than most expect).
MvCi did have it, between Xbox One and Windows 10 PC version.