• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I thought Apple are trying to recycle all the components and parts and not throw stuff away?
See the last page:
So they can throw it away for you.

Just earlier in the thread there was an article about Apple forbidding companies from actually recycling their products.

Holy shit how many times does it have to be said, anecdotal evidence isn't actually valid. You're like the people that think correlation means causation

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I feel like I'm having a fever dream reading this "fuck the poors" shit on reset era dot com

I haven't laughed this hard in a while

on topic, looking over the pictures it doesn't look that hard to repair? it looks tricky but the audio components seem easily replaced even if the outer housing looks a little tricky. as for the SiP stuff, that's kinda just where the tech is headed

from the title I thought "impossible to repair" was going to be like the literally impossible to open stadia controller

OP
OP

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm having a fever dream reading this "fuck the poors" shit on reset era dot com

I haven't laughed this hard in a while

on topic, looking over the pictures it doesn't look that hard to repair? it looks tricky but the audio components seem easily replaced even if the outer housing looks a little tricky. as for the SiP stuff, that's kinda just where the tech is headed

from the title I thought "impossible to repair" was going to be like the literally impossible to open stadia controller
Next to*

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
yeah yeah I know, but even that seems like a stretch. the audio components are ostensibly replaceable, the caps look easy to access, and you get a fine enough tipped soldering iron in there and you could even fix a cold joint or something too. it's not ideal, but it looks fine. it's not glued or clipped together too egregiously.

now airpods on the other hand, they're complete horseshit

OP
OP

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
yeah yeah I know, but even that seems like a stretch. the audio components are ostensibly replaceable, the caps look easy to access, and you get a fine enough tipped soldering iron in there and you could even fix a cold joint or something too. it's not ideal, but it looks fine. it's not glued or clipped together too egregiously.

now airpods on the other hand, they're complete horseshit
Fair enough. And I agree with the later, but also, add the first one, too:
www.ifixit.com

HomePod Teardown

Apple’s beloved voice assistant is back again, this time in the form of a Mac Pro wearing a jacket. Siri can now (attempt to) answer your questions...

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Fair enough. And I agree with the later, but also, add the first one, too:
www.ifixit.com

HomePod Teardown

Apple’s beloved voice assistant is back again, this time in the form of a Mac Pro wearing a jacket. Siri can now (attempt to) answer your questions...
yeesh that's rough. the shot with the xacto knife, damn. it almost looks like these little gobshites could be considered a marginal improvement over the bigguns

it's funny how similar it looks to the 2013 mac pro which, despite its weird form factor, was a delightful accessible machine

www.ifixit.com

Mac Pro Late 2013 Teardown

After making its debut during the WWDC 2013 Keynote, the reimagined, reformulated Mac Pro finally arrived at iFixit's doorstep. Join us as we turn...

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
yeesh that's rough. the shot with the xacto knife, damn. it almost looks like these little gobshites could be considered a marginal improvement over the bigguns

it's funny how similar it looks to the 2013 mac pro which, despite its weird form factor, was a delightful accessible machine

www.ifixit.com

Mac Pro Late 2013 Teardown

After making its debut during the WWDC 2013 Keynote, the reimagined, reformulated Mac Pro finally arrived at iFixit's doorstep. Join us as we turn...
That is a work of art in comparison to their latest foray into undelightfully inaccessible hell.

Seriously, that's amazing.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
That is a work of art in comparison to their latest foray into undelightfully inaccessible hell.

Seriously, that's amazing.
historically there have been a lot of macs that are really cool to take apart and work on

my favorite are the "compact macs," the classic ones from the 80s and early 90s

1GLFJMUyGekPABkb.large

so beautifully compartmentalized, easy to take apart, 10/10

No, I have no animosity as long as they keep their distance.
lmfao jesus man

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a mess of a thread, people comparing right to repair with being a gearhead or shitting on others for being poor.

Disgusting.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
historically there have been a lot of macs that are really cool to take apart and work on

my favorite are the "compact macs," the classic ones from the 80s and early 90s

1GLFJMUyGekPABkb.large

so beautifully compartmentalized, easy to take apart, 10/10

lmfao jesus man

That looks aces!

I still have the 'lamp' one (G3?). The HDD is going and I have no clue how to get Leopard (or a modded version of Snow Leopard) on it with the new HDD. It doesn't take USB boot installs, I can't connect it to the net while booting like the newer ones. And the CD drive is on its last legs. So it just sits there, menacingly.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
What a mess of a thread, people comparing right to repair with being a gearhead or calling others poor. Disgusting.
this is an important point to make, right to repair doesn't mean that the end user whips out their 40 bit ifixit kit to take apart their imac, it means being able to take it to somebody who can (reasonably) easily do that for you

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
What a mess of a thread, people comparing right to repair with being a gearhead or shitting on others for being poor.

Disgusting.

Well, comparing right to repair with being a gearhead isn't too out of place, since corporations are fighting right to repair in the car industry as well.

But its not just the end user repairing their stuff. Its also about being able to take it to any repair shop and have them be able to fix it. Not having to rely on just the manufacturer or official repair shops.

Last edited:

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I still have the 'lamp' one (G3?). The HDD is going and I have no clue how to get Leopard (or a modded version of Snow Leopard) on it with the new HDD. It doesn't take USB boot installs, I can't connect it to the net while booting like the newer ones. And the CD drive is on its last legs. So it just sits there, menacingly.
that's the G4, I'd love to get my hands on one someday

I poked around online a bit but I also have no clue what you could do about that. my first thought is to use another mac with disk imager to make a new installation disk, but that won't help if the optical drive is failing

when it gets to the end of its life you could worst case poke around locally and find your local raccoon (ie young dork desperate for old apple hardware to play with), maybe make like fifty bucks off it

Well, comparing right to repair with being a gearhead isn't too out of place, since corporations are fighting right to repair in the car industry as well.

But its not just the end user repairing their stuff. Its also about being able to take it to any repair shop and have them be able to fix it. Not having to rely on just the manufacture or official repair shops.
wait a second, this is just my post but better

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
this is an important point to make, right to repair doesn't mean that the end user whips out their 40 bit ifixit kit to take apart their imac, it means being able to take it to somebody who can (reasonably) easily do that for you
And also manufacturers making replacement parts and (actual) repair services available.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
honestly I kind of like the tinkerer aesthetic for right to repair people even if it's bad for the movement in the long term

I spent a chunk of my summer trying to turn one of my busted compacts into a crude oscilloscope. it didn't work, but I sure did tinker damn it

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
If you're in Jersey or NYC-area, you can have it for fifty lol It's the base model, or one up from it.

I've been meaning to get back around to messing with it but I have a ton of other bullshit to mess with first!

I also wanted to turn it into a lamp. There's a guide somewhere on the net... but it's just been taking up space in my closet for years now. I'm never getting around to it knowing me
it didn't work, but I sure did tinker damn it
Yo, this is all we ask for at the end of the day. Why hurt us so? Why?

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
If you're in Jersey or NYC-area, you can have it for fifty lol It's the base model, or one up from it.

I've been meaning to get back around to messing with it but I have a ton of other bullshit to mess with first!

I also wanted to turn it into a lamp. There's a guide somewhere on the net... but it's just been taking up space in my closet for years now. I'm never getting around to it knowing me
lmao not even close! but I appreciate the offer lol

g4 lamps are fun. the compacts I linked earlier were so often turned into aquariums after becoming obsolete that they have their own wikipedia page:

en.wikipedia.org

Macquarium - Wikipedia

see guys, what are you going to turn a homepod mini into? the world's worst egg cup?

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
lmao not even close! but I appreciate the offer lol

g4 lamps are fun. the compacts I linked earlier were so often turned into aquariums after becoming obsolete that they have their own wikipedia page:

en.wikipedia.org

Macquarium - Wikipedia

see guys, what are you going to turn a homepod mini into? the world's worst egg cup?
"the final upgrade" — as well as an affordable way to have a color Compact Mac.

hell yeah.

Well, I'm glad we added a little fun and humor into this thread. It was sorely needed.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
"the final upgrade" — as well as an affordable way to have a color Compact Mac.

hell yeah.

Well, I'm glad we added a little fun and humor into this thread. It was sorely needed.
yes, indeed it was.

now everyone, you can recommence with the, what was it, poor shaming? yes everyone, carry on with your poor shaming

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
You can fix these things? My old ass Alexa has been acting funny for a year. I just assumed smart speakers were basically disposable. Once they stop working, only option is get a new one.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
You can fix these things? My old ass Alexa has been acting funny for a year. I just assumed smart speakers were basically disposable. Once they stop working, only option is get a new one.
As far as I've seen, all Google and Amazon smart speakers are quite easy to repair, at least according to IFIXIT.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
That's because the framing of these kinds of threads are usually "Look at this thing Apple is or isn't doing that we all knew they would or would not do anyway, doesn't that make you mad?!".

Thoughtful threads are made by thoughtful OPs.
It is a thoughtful thread. That some (or you) don't like it is another thing. Or should we just stfu and be happy that these things are happening?

And, by the way, that still doesn't give some the right to say shit like "fuck the poors" or shove the concerns away.

Just.. awful.

Last edited:

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
It is a thoughtful thread. That some don't like it is another thing.

And, by the way, that still doesn't give some the right to say shit like "fuck the poors".
I'm still reeling from fuck the poors lmfao

here of all places

edit: poor as a noun is just one of those things that just doesn't sound right, like "females"

OP
OP

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still reeling from fuck the poors lmfao

here of all places

edit: poor as a noun is just one of those things that just doesn't sound right, like "females"
I'm surprised that he even took that "joke" to the next level with "I'm fine as long as they keep their distance", Christ...

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
It is a thoughtful thread. That some don't like it is another thing. Or should we just stfu and be happy that these things are happening?

And, by the way, that still doesn't give some the right to say shit like "fuck the poors" or shove the concerns away.

Just.. awful.
Yeah, that person saying "fuck the poors" is beyond reproach.

I don't think you should stay quiet, however I think there are multiple approaches to sustainability. Really, if we cared about the environment we wouldn't be buying anything but the bare minimum. If you truly care, no smart speaker should be bought - period. The world isn't so simple, and people will have their reasons for buying or not buying things. Repairability may or may not be the best approach at sustainability, depending on the product, etc. Perhaps, a smart speaker that will get thrown out when it breaks isn't a high priority to have self-servicable.

If offering a free turn in service (or even offering credit), where the company can salvage some parts, refurbish and resale, melt down for resources, gets more people to do so, is it not possible that may be better for the environment than a product that no-one knows how to repair, or would just rather not deal with it and buy a new one throwing the old one in the trash? Like, I don't have the statistics for this, so I have no idea, but it is probably not completely outside the realm of possibility that a fully modular self-repairable device, that few will repair is not inherently better for the environment.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that person saying "fuck the poors" is beyond reproach.

I don't think you should stay quiet, however I think there are multiple approaches to sustainability. Really, if we cared about the environment we wouldn't be buying anything but the bare minimum. If you truly care, no smart speaker should be bought - period. The world isn't so simple, and people will have their reasons for buying or not buying things. Repairability may or may not be the best approach at sustainability, depending on the product, etc. Perhaps, a smart speaker that will get thrown out when it breaks isn't a high priority to have self-servicable.

If offering a free turn in service (or even offering credit), where the company can salvage some parts, refurbish and resale, melt down for resources, gets more people to do so, is it not possible that may be better for the environment than a product that no-one knows how to repair, or would just rather not deal with it and buy a new one throwing the old one in the trash? Like, I don't have the statistics for this, so I have no idea, but it is probably not completely outside the realm of possibility that a fully modular self-repairable device, that few will repair is inherently better for the environment.
That's the thing, we should ask for more. The right to repair is a thing that you should fight for.

Not really about just consuming the bare minimum. But overconsumption and overproduction, they are the real problem.

Reducing waste by repairing stuff is a lot better. If you make parts available for repairshops or even online, you can bet e-waste would go down. At the moment, we don't have a way to recycle all e-waste, and it's plastic the bigger offender.

And of course it's not simple.. companies fight against the right to repair for a reason. They created tgis problem to drive profit up.

Finally, always remember the triple Rs: reduce, reuse and, as a last resort, recycle.

Brewm0nt

Dec 22, 2017
Orlando, FL
It is a thoughtful thread. That some (or you) don't like it is another thing. Or should we just stfu and be happy that these things are happening?

Just.. awful.
I'm with the poster you quoted.
Every post challenging the premise of having this thread, like all the other ones, is met with condescension.

Not everyone has to or will be angry about this or the next Apple controversy. This, like the threads before it, won't change anything.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
That's the thing, we should ask for more. The right to repair is a thing that you should fight for.

Reducing waste by repairing stuff is a lot better. If you make parts available for repairshops or even online, you can bet e-waste would go down. At the moment, we don't have a way to recycle all e-waste, and it's plastic the bigger offender.

And of course it's not simple.. companies fight against the right to repair for a reason. They created tgis problem to drive profit up.

Finally, always remember the triple Rs: reduce, reuse and, as a last resort, recycle.

Right, but the problem is people have already given up on reduction since capitalism and all that, and so you are advocating reuse. Which is fine, except for the people who have already given up on reuse and find it too much of a nuisance.

Like I'm curious about real numbers, like ideally you are right, but (hypothetically) if 99.99% of people who get a Echo Dot just throw it out when it stops working or a new model comes out, and 1% of people who send in their old HomePod to Apple when getting a new one, which method is tangibly doing better for the environment?

Maybe Apple has done some research on this? Maybe they haven't? I don't know, in an ideal world no one would buy a useless smart speaker, in a slightly less ideal world everyone who does would repair it when it stops working, in the world we live in, most probably just toss it, so if the path of least resistance of sending in old products to their manufacturer is worse than the slightly less ideal world of self repair but better than the world as it is, IMO it's better than nothing.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
I'm with the poster you quoted.
Every post challenging the premise of having this thread, like all the other ones, is met with condescension.

Not everyone has to or will be angry about this or the next Apple controversy. This, like the threads before it, won't change anything.
Then don't post. This is a real problem, and if you want to drive by post with "it's a $99 bro, just buy another" you bet you are gonna receive condescension.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Right, but the problem is people have already given up on reduction since capitalism and all that, and so you are advocating reuse. Which is fine, except for the people who have already given up on reuse and find it too much of a nuisance.

Like I'm curious about real numbers, like ideally you are right, but (hypothetically) if 99.99% of people who get a Echo Dot just throw it out when it stops working or a new model comes out, and 1% of people who send in their old HomePod to Apple when getting a new one, which method is tangibly doing better for the environment?

Maybe Apple has done some research on this? Maybe they haven't? I don't know, in an ideal world no one would buy a useless smart speaker, in a slightly less ideal world everyone who does would repair it when it stops working, in the world we live in, most probably just toss it, so if the path of least resistance of sending in old products to their manufacturer is worse than the slightly less ideal world of self repair but better than the world as it is, IMO it's better than nothing.
Well, of course I'm mad about it. You said it's normal, and that pisses me off. This is normalized and it shouldn't be :(

OP
OP

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
See, what is this? I didn't make a post at all like that.
What is this? A response to your "when someone challenges the premise".

What I meant with "if you want to drive by post" wasn't meant for you, but your "premise challengers".

Last edited:

Brewm0nt

Dec 22, 2017
Orlando, FL
What is this? A response to your "when someone challenges the premise", not about you.
No, I'm questioning the random hostility in your tone. Not everyone that disagrees is doing so to be contrarian or to go against you.

I've just, literally, seen Apple outrage on the internet going on what, 14 years now? Since I started following tech, essentially. It becomes the same stuff over and over and I guess I don't see how people are still able to be surprised that Apple will do something they disagree with. It's one of the few constants these days.

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
I'll never understand the complaints of a hardware company making hardware with a certain design philosophy. If you want a big, honking, upgradeable tower with off market components and limitless customization you already know you're not the demographic for this company. Gear heads need to feel superior to justify their totally unrelated hobby.

On topic I have literally never met anyone that wanted to repair a speaker.

I had to throw away a perfectly good portable speaker before just because the charging port broke, I couldn't get it open without breaking it due to a shitload of glue. You bet I'd love to have it repaired instead of spending another 100 bucks

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
Environment aside, do the economics even make sense for repairing sub $100 devices? Let's say something goes wrong after six months of ownership. I have to drive to the repair shop, pay for labour, and potentially pay for a part. The device will already be going for half/two thirds of its value on Kijiji by that time. the cost of repair + the opportunity cost of wasting time repairing it will exceed the value of the device.

Sorry OP I'd rather just give it away/chuck it and get a new one.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Environment aside, do the economics even make sense for repairing sub $100 devices? Let's say something goes wrong after six months of ownership. I have to drive to the repair shop, pay for labour, and potentially pay for a part. The device will already be going for half/two thirds of its value on Kijiji by that time. the cost of repair + the opportunity cost of wasting time repairing it will exceed the value of the device.

Do that, fine. But that's YOUR world. You have to think not everyone lives in the U.S, not everyone thinks 99usd is cheap, not everyone will have your same problems when it comes to finding a repairshop.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
It probably would cost more to repair than to buy a new one. If mine ever break I will get Apple to repair or recycle it and buy a new one.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017

It probably would cost more to repair than to buy a new one. If mine ever break I will get Apple to repair or recycle it and buy a new one.
As stated a few times here, some people would love to attempt a repair themselves. For instance, the charging port breaking is a $5 fix – which is common on many devices. Not this Homepod Mini tho, the big one, yes.

Look, if it was 10 bucks, I probably wouldn't complain lol but to a certain point, things should be repairable. Apple designs with the intent of no 3rd party/self repairs.

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
Do that, fine. But that's YOUR world. You have to think not everyone lives in the U.S, not everyone thinks 99usd is cheap.
I'm not saying $100 is cheap. I'm saying I don't see a way to repair it (repair costs + opportunity costs) for less than its worth.

If $100 is a lot for you then it's probably better to get an extended warranty so you can send it back if it breaks down.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
As stated a few times here, some people would love to attempt a repair themselves. For instance, the charging port breaking is a $5 fix – which is common on many devices. Not this Homepod Mini tho, the big one, yes.

That's cool, I doubt there is a huge percentage of users who would love to attempt to repair it themselves.