• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Wow. Running scripts over SSH is a game changer for home automation. No more having to mess with Amazon's shitty developer tools for custom voice activated functions.

Makes me want to ditch my Echo's for a HomePod.

Yeah, it's awesome. I already used this with Workflow, but being able to use Siri with it is the cherry on top.

What do you two guys use SSH scripts for exactly?

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a way to close specific apps within shortcuts? Haven't found a solution yet.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
man widget use is so much better than Siri use when input is required. They really need to fix that.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, I'll give this a shot.
Thanks, sounds good. I'm done with the phone/watch remote though, I tried to use that for my last presentation and it refused to work when it mattered even when I tested it on the company network just 10mins before and it was fine. I must have looked so unprofessional and like an idiot juggling my watch and phone at the beginning just to run over to my MacBook for switching slides... ugh. should have just brought my Magic Trackpad. For iPad I'll bring my magic keyboard if that works for keynote in presentation mode. Less possible interference with direct Bluetooth connection.

Check my NAS status, put it to sleep if I'm using it outside of its "bedtime hour" where it does that automatically, communicating with the various scripts/bots running on my Raspi (though I will move everything on device as far as Scriptable and time allows)

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA

I use one to launch TeamViewer (remote assistance app) on my Mac, for when I forget to do so before I leave home. The command for that is simple "open -a TeamViewer" . Once that app is running on my home desktop I can control my home computer from my laptop while away. Can also do the opposite and force quit apps, command for that would be: pkill -9 "Google Chrome"

You can lock your Mac's screen if you walk away (link). And also shut down / reboot / sleep it. Wake on LAN too but I haven't tried that yet.

And I use it for maintenance type commands on my headless Raspberry Pi running Home Assistant which controls most of my smart home stuff. You could easily restart the Pi or update the OS, check logs etc.

My favorite is a "Watch Later" type workflow where it downloads practically any web video I give it via the share sheet. The download happens on my Mac so it's faster and doesn't use any cell data, and the downloaded video gets moved to my Plex folder so then I can watch (and resume) it on any device. Right now it's specific to my setup but I'll clean it up and share it one day.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to make my first shortcut and am struggling. Instead of waking up to an alarm at 7 in the morning I want to wake up to overcast playing my podcasts. I can't figure out how to get a shortcut to start at a specific time. Is that not possible?

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to make my first shortcut and am struggling. Instead of waking up to an alarm at 7 in the morning I want to wake up to overcast playing my podcasts. I can't figure out how to get a shortcut to start at a specific time. Is that not possible?
Nope - shortcuts require user input to start.

In theory you could have a shortcut you initiate before bed that waits until a certain time, then starts your podcast... I think. But that's clearly far from ideal and more trouble than it's worth.

Oct 25, 2017
Nope - shortcuts require user input to start.

In theory you could have a shortcut you initiate before bed that waits until a certain time, then starts your podcast... I think. But that's clearly far from ideal and more trouble than it's worth.
I'll take that as an option. How would i set that up?

Edit: would I have to use the wait command? Any way to change it away from seconds because that's going to take forever.

Last edited:

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I'll take that as an option. How would i set that up?

Edit: would I have to use the wait command? Any way to change it away from seconds because that's going to take forever.
It will also time out after a longer period. This isn't supposed to be something that should stall the workflow for multiple minutes but seconds.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I use one to launch TeamViewer (remote assistance app) on my Mac, for when I forget to do so before I leave home. The command for that is simple "open -a TeamViewer" . Once that app is running on my home desktop I can control my home computer from my laptop while away. Can also do the opposite and force quit apps, command for that would be: pkill -9 "Google Chrome"

Oh this is neat. Would have saved me in the past.
Gonna try this out.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Is there a way to close specific apps within shortcuts? Haven't found a solution yet.

What would the use case for that be? You don't need to close apps (unless they are apps that've found workarounds to Apple's backgrounding and therefore vampire your battery but there have been fewer and fewer of those in the past year or two). It is unlikely Apple would create a shortcut for that purpose.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
What would the use case for that be? You don't need to close apps (unless they are apps that've found workarounds to Apple's backgrounding and therefore vampire your battery but there have been fewer and fewer of those in the past year or two). It is unlikely Apple would create a shortcut for that purpose.
Set a navigation app to close after a certain amount of time, for instance. If location triggers were added, would be nice to have those apps close by location and stop using GPS services once you got to some trigger point. And I'd like to tell apps that use location tracking in background to turn off if my battery is below say 40%. Or if there is a non-video media app that forces the screen to be on, and I'm not moving for let's say 10 minutes, turn off that app (or at least turn the screen off), because the only time I'd want the screen to be on that long is if I'm driving. Sometimes if I have a misbehaving app/mysterious battery drain, I will close all apps and restart the phone, and it would be nice to close all apps with one press instead of swiping one at a time.

Last edited:

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Set a navigation app to close after a certain amount of time, for instance. If location triggers were added, would be nice to have those apps close by location and stop using GPS services once you got to some trigger point. And I'd like to tell apps that use location tracking in background to turn off if my battery is below say 40%. Or if there is a non-video media app that forces the screen to be on, and I'm not moving for let's say 10 minutes, turn off that app (or at least turn the screen off), because the only time I'd want the screen to be on that long is if I'm driving. Sometimes if I have a misbehaving app/mysterious battery drain, I will close all apps and restart the phone, and it would be nice to close all apps with one press instead of swiping one at a time.
Doesn't restarting the phone close all apps anyway?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Can you do a "Add [x] to the shopping list" siri command, where shopping list is a specific list in the Reminders app?
I think you'd have to:

Have a Siri command that triggers the work flow - and within the workflow you have ask for text input (via voice) where you say like "milk"

Edit: Yup, works:

"Hey Siri" - "Add to Shopping List" (or whatever phrase you pick) - "Milk"

iK5b9Te.png

Sorry, German shortcuts app, but i'm sure you'll be able to figure out the commands.
"dictate text" and "new reminder" or something ;)

Last edited:

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Can shortcuts set Theater mode on the watch and if so, how? I get no matches for theater in the search, but I set and unset Theater mode every night/morning as the watch is otherwise blindingly bright when trying to sleep (and I use AutoSleep for sleep tracking info, so I'm wearing it while I Zzz)

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
This "Mayday" shortcut seems pretty cool, it will text designated contact(s) with your precise location in an emergency, silences the phone for safety, enables low power mode in order to preserve your battery life as long as possible (allowing you to be tracked by Find My Friends for example). It even includes altitude information and WiFi network to better pinpoint your location when indoors. So rather than just knowing you're in a shopping mall they'd know you're connected to Starbucks WiFi on the second floor for example.

READ FIRST: there might be an issue with either the app or this workflow, if you're in a group convo with the recipient it might send to that group chat as well. Be warned, ymmv:

I just tested this one and it didn't grab my address or geographical details despite allowing location access.

But worst of all, I chose my friend to test it with but the text went to a group chat we were both in!
Wtf. Embarrassing!

Shortcut link (and her tweaked one with auto video recording)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
So I was able to make a hey Siri take a picture shortcut but I want to be able to have it set the picture timer, take the picture and then remove the picture timer. I can't seem to find a way to do this. Anyone know if it's possible?

Or even better, could I make Siri audibly count down and they say, 'say cheese' before taking the picture?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Sweet, I got Siri to count down. Now for some reason the flash does get used for the pictures even though it's set to use automatically in the camera app. :/

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
This "Mayday" shortcut seems pretty cool, it will text designated contact(s) with your precise location in an emergency, silences the phone for safety, enables low power mode in order to preserve your battery life as long as possible (allowing you to be tracked by Find My Friends for example). It even includes altitude information and WiFi network to better pinpoint your location when indoors. So rather than just knowing you're in a shopping mall they'd know you're connected to Starbucks WiFi on the second floor for example.

Shortcut link (and her tweaked one with auto video recording)

I just tested this one and it didn't grab my address or geographical details despite allowing location access.

But worst of all, I chose my friend to test it with but the text went to a group chat we were both in!
Wtf. Embarrassing!

Nov 22, 2017
I wanted to share my my favorite Shortcuts so far because I couldn't be more excited for Shortcuts!
  • I work in a laboratory and sometimes use pictures of experiments in my electronic notebook, but getting the files to my work pc is a hassle. So I made these two depending on the situation:
    • Activate shortcut > Open camera > take a picture > Email picture to my work email (photo is never saved to phone).
    • Activate shortcut > Ask user to select photos > Email to my work email > Delete photos.
  • While at home or walking through the lab at work I think of something I need to do later.
    • Activate shortcut > Prompt user for text > Email text to work email with subject "Reminder". (I wish there was a way to send an actual outlook shortcut, since I have to use that at work).
  • I don't wear my watch while doing Crossfit but I like data and hate monotonous tapping to log it! So I made a simple Shortcut to add a 'High Interval Workout' for 45min to my Health app s
    • Activate shortcut > Prompt user "Add Crossfit workout?" > If yes, add a 45min workout > Show banner indicating it was added successfully.
  • I set two alarms every day before my workout. I have been verbally dictating them to my Echo, but its weirdly laborious to do so every day so I made a shortcut and I love it. The first alarm is the "you have 15min to get ready" the second is "time to leave". Setting it up was tricky because there isn't a specific clock/alarm feature in Shortcuts. If you tell Siri to set an alarm at the time you want and wait a couple minutes, it will pop up in Shortcuts as a suggestion that you can use ( I wonder what else is that way?).
    • Activate shortcut > Sets two alarms > Finished.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA

Wtf. Embarrassing!

Oof, that's horrible. For what it's worth, it worked fine when I tested it and I didn't get either of those issues. I suspect you ran into a bug on the Shortcuts app side of things, rather than the workflow itself (which you can see all the steps of in advance). But I'll edit in your post as a warning.

This makes me a little hesitant to use any text message stuff in my workflows, seems like the app might have issues differentiating between solo and group convos.

Oct 25, 2017
Made my first shortcut. It turns on my Apple TV and television. Pretty neat when it works! I just need to come up with some sort of morning routine. Oh, and maybe find a way to integrate Plex would be cool.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Is it not possible to send a message with a picture without confirmation? That's stupid

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a way to feed a variable into the wait function? Or to somehow combine wait and if to make a "wait until" function? I'm trying to automatically reduce volume to 0 and cut brightness to 40% once I hit my ETA.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to feed a variable into the wait function? Or to somehow combine wait and if to make a "wait until" function? I'm trying to automatically reduce volume to 0 and cut brightness to 40% once I hit my ETA.
I think you could feed a number to a for each loop and then wait a second each and then do your other actions? Just be aware that Wait isn't intended for long periods of time. It's really just to add some seconds of waiting to an action. It will time out for longer periods of time or screw up in general if "abused". Somebody on reddit tried to game the function in various ways but didn't succeed iirc.

---

I love how Shortcuts got my brother into scripting. We already did a custom "How's the weather" shortcut pulling data from his favored site and today we created a shortcut that allows him to view mountain scenery webcams of choice at a date and time of choice. He can't wait for variables to be a thing in Siri Shortcuts lol

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I think you could feed a number to a for each loop and then wait a second each and then do your other actions? Just be aware that Wait isn't intended for long periods of time. It's really just to add some seconds of waiting to an action. It will time out for longer periods of time or screw up in general if "abused". Somebody on reddit tried to game the function in various ways but didn't succeed iirc.

---

I love how Shortcuts got my brother into scripting. We already did a custom "How's the weather" shortcut pulling data from his favored site and today we created a shortcut that allows him to view mountain scenery webcams of choice at a date and time of choice. He can't wait for variables to be a thing in Siri Shortcuts lol
Is there a subreddit for Shortcuts?

Also wish there was a way to cycle between apps as media plays. Eg play a song on Apple Music, then once finished play a chapter in Audible. Once the chapter's done play a podcast. Then back to Apple Music.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Hmmm, is there a way to make the shortcut not show when run when running my "upload to imgur" shortcut? I hate how when I run it, it goes to Shortcuts and shows the whole flow.

It's like that on purpose because iOS only allocates a very tiny amount of resources to share sheet extensions. If they tried to run things in the background like that iOS would kill the process. By switching to the main Shortcuts app it prevents that issue (also has the benefit of showing exactly what's going on). It does make those really simple shortcuts feel a bit more clunky, though.

And I can't find them in the Shortcuts app, anybody figured out what you need to do?

You have to trigger the scene(s) in the Hue app first, then that scene will get added to Shortcuts. Repeat for each scene.