Ryu_Ken

Oct 30, 2017
I bought a used 2015 13' MBP as my first MacBook for school and I'm pretty darn happy with it. My only concern is the anti-glare coming coating coming off when cleaning the screen, which is apparently a problem with these models.

Mine had this (same year) I just got the screen replaced by Apple as they are covered under the repair program until December.

Oct 25, 2017
México
Apple is way ahead of the curve with the ports. USB-C is the one port to rule them all dream that people have had for decades. It's just a shame that other PC makers and accessory makers aren't committing to it yet. Yes the transition will be annoying but the quicker they do it, the quicker it's over with.
And yet they are the only ones not using USB-C in their phones. Besides, most laptops include USB-C and regular USB. It's not like Apple is the only one using USB-C on their laptops.

Every other single laptop recommendation that have been posted here in this thread has USB-C.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
They should add Touch ID to the base model. I don't know anyone who loves the touch bar. Seems like either you hate it or you're indifferent towards it. I'm reading the comments on MacRumors now.

Poutine

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just bought one for a sales rep where I work and it came to 5800$CAN and it's not even the highest model. That Apple tax!

lukeskymac

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It should never ever hit those temps. And lol.

slamhk made a really good post with details and real use. Thanks, it's so not as bad as I thought.
It doesn't. Peak temperature was 97C. Also, slamhk linked to the 2017 review where they only stress test the CPU and GPU at the same time (FurMark+Prime95). The 2016 model reaches similar temps and throttles to the similar speeds under the same test - it doesn't reach higher temps or speeds because the power adapter can't cope with it. Furthermore, synthetic tests are used for such stress tests precisely because it's incredibly unlikely that a CPU will be under such load IRL. Think of it as a worst-case scenario.

Again, considering that you can leave the entire cooling system to the CPU only with an eGPU, the 3.3GHz speed and 97C temps with Prime95 are a more impressive statement of performance than 2.3GHz 90C with the dGPU. In my opinion. It also means that in gaming, for example, the CPU wouldn't throttle at all from it's 3.4GHz max turbo speed for four cores with an eGPU. When those gain Boot Camp support, that is.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Apple is way ahead of the curve with the ports. USB-C is the one port to rule them all dream that people have had for decades. It's just a shame that other PC makers and accessory makers aren't committing to it yet. Yes the transition will be annoying but the quicker they do it, the quicker it's over with.

It's a great port, but only having 2 on the base 13" is insanity.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
don't understand the hate for touch bar. I love using it for volume and brightness. TouchID for confirming installs. Can't imagine going back.

HipHop

Banned
Feb 28, 2018
Is the base model 13 inch Mac worth it?

Or should I bite the bullet and go all out for the 15-inch?

And if im just using it for music listening and music production (Logic X Pro) should i just wait on a deal on a current model or do i need the new model (And do I wait for the rumored Mini or Air)??

Oct 25, 2017
They should add Touch ID to the base model. I don't know anyone who loves the touch bar. Seems like either you hate it or you're indifferent towards it. I'm reading the comments on MacRumors now.

Lol I don't think the Touchbar is well-received overall either but MacRumors is the absolute worst place to gauge reactions to anything.

Best part of the site is that its archives go back years so you can chuckle at people being totally wrong about so much stuff.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017

Huh? Apple are the reason I still have to use a non USB-C charger for my tablet and bluetooth headphones. All my other shit's on USB-C--they're the ones who are lagging behind, and it's annoying as hell.

(Plus, it's not like they just removed the ports to make way for USB-C--the SD card reader went as well, and that's something USB-C can't replace, unless you like dongles.)

Yeah the Touch Bar is great. It only adds functionality. I only wish it was on all their keyboards.

It definitely removes functionality, though? Physical function row keys are valuable for people who rely on them, ESC in particular. If they'd put the touch bar above the F-row, I'd agree, but they didn't.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Nasty pricing. Apple just release macOS as an open distro pls. Also someone buy me a Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro.

don't understand the hate for touch bar. I love using it for volume and brightness. TouchID for confirming installs. Can't imagine going back.

You 'can't imagine' using physical buttons for volume or brightness again? I'm paranoid of battery drain so I like the non-screen options.

Last edited:

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
Mine had this (same year) I just got the screen replaced by Apple as they are covered under the repair program until December.
What did you use to clean the screen? I'm using a regular microfiber cloth and I'm afraid I'll get this too. Is your new screen supposed to be immune to this problem?
I don't even know if this program applies to my laptop because it's used and was bought in Russia (I assume, since the keyboard is English/Russian) and I live in Israel

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the base model 13 inch Mac worth it?

Or should I bite the bullet and go all out for the 15-inch?

And if im just using it for music listening and music production (Logic X Pro) should i just wait on a deal on a current model or do i need the new model (And do I wait for the rumored Mini or Air)??

For Logic I would probably recommend a 15" - you want a lot of RAM for heavy Logic work, and likely storage for samples/VSTs/etc. Once you deck out a 13" with more storage and RAM you're pretty much at 15" pricing anyway.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really starting to warm up to the idea of upgrading. Save for 144hz and/or OLED, this is pretty much my dream laptop.

Nearly 5ghz in turbo and finally more than 4 cores. 32gb of RAM will last years and years. The SSD aid lightning fast. If they had just used a Vega GPU... damn, had that video card just seen a bump, I'd have already ordered, I think.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't. Peak temperature was 97C. Also, slamhk linked to the 2017 review where they only stress test the CPU and GPU at the same time (FurMark+Prime95). The 2016 model reaches similar temps and throttles to the similar speeds under the same test - it doesn't reach higher temps or speeds because the power adapter can't cope with it. Furthermore, synthetic tests are used for such stress tests precisely because it's incredibly unlikely that a CPU will be under such load IRL. Think of it as a worst-case scenario.

Again, considering that you can leave the entire cooling system to the CPU only with an eGPU, the 3.3GHz speed and 97C temps with Prime95 are a more impressive statement of performance than 2.3GHz 90C with the dGPU. In my opinion. It also means that in gaming, for example, the CPU wouldn't throttle at all from it's 3.4GHz max turbo speed for four cores with an eGPU. When those gain Boot Camp support, that is.
it's cool. I been searching thoroughly now and watching videos. It still gets hot as fuck when using intense programs, but it's impressive how well it manages to sustain performance without melting itself.
but, my perspective has changed from horrible cooling to great performer (altough still toasty).

Ryu_Ken

Oct 30, 2017
What did you use to clean the screen? I'm using a regular microfiber cloth and I'm afraid I'll get this too. Is your new screen supposed to be immune to this problem?
I don't even know if this program applies to my laptop because it's used and was bought in Russia (I assume, since the keyboard is English/Russian) and I live in Israel
Just a microfibre occasionally slightly damp.

It shouldn't make a difference where it was bought.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
People loathe change. Also, they can direct their general anger at Apple onto something they view as pointless. Fuck, look at the frothing rage the "notch" still generates.

As long as I've been a Mac user, I barely recall using the non-media F keys. Use of them is not as prevalent on Mac as they are on Windows or Linux.

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Tempted to sell my MacBook Pro 2016 for this model but...I'll hold out for 2019.

So, about the Mac mini, can Apple please release it right now? I would love a Mac desktop

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
all i want from a new MBP is a native-res display (2880x1800 on the 13", 3360x2100 on the 15") and a meaningfully better GPU and this update gives me neither :(

Gohlad

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Huh? Apple are the reason I still have to use a non USB-C charger for my tablet and bluetooth headphones. All my other shit's on USB-C--they're the ones who are lagging behind, and it's annoying as hell.

(Plus, it's not like they just removed the ports to make way for USB-C--the SD card reader went as well, and that's something USB-C can't replace, unless you like dongles.)

No, actually, Apples way of adopting USB-C makes the most sense to the overall transition. They changed the ports to USB-C on the devices where it makes the most sense in terms of beneficial features.

On MacBooks you can actually benefit from all the advantages USB-C brings like video output, fast data transfer, charging etc., while on phones and BT headphones you only use it for charging, where the old regular usb cables would be totally fine for. There is no real feature benefit there in using USB-C.

Also, it doesn't make sense to change a port when in 1-2 years everything mobile has moved to all wireless.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
Just a microfibre occasionally slightly damp.

It shouldn't make a difference where it was bought.
Great! Although, obviously I hope it doesn't happen to me.. lol
I searched a lot but couldn't find an answer if this happens to all models from that era, or if you can prevent it by cleaning with a certain type of cloth

Did it just happen one day or did you notice it over time?

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
Is USB-C as secure as Lightning is for trying to crack a phone? Apple controls that aspect of their phone and I'm okay with it being on phones and iPad since its their proprietary thing

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's so weird to me how no one can emulate the build quality of macbooks. I picked up my brother's XPS 15 and it really does just feel like a piece of shit compared to my macbook.

pennanton

Oct 31, 2017
Should we expect an update for non-touchbar models in the near future? I'm in the market for one atm, but I don't want to get shafted if I pull the trigger on one now.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I don't really get the hate for the touchbar. My previous work computer was a 15 inch macbook pro and I thought the touchbar was fine. Well, other than accidentally hitting the siri button when I go for delete. The keyboard did suck though.

However, that starting price of $1799 will keep me from buying one.

Prologue

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Given the price, I wish there was less of a bezel on the screen. But it seems they only want to focus on that new feature with the iPAD.

Always seem to be behind the ball when it comes to these sorts of things. And a bezel free laptop is not out of this world either.

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I don't have a problem with the Touchbar per se, I just think it drives up the price for something I don't really need. I'd like to have a cheaper alternative without resorting to less capable hardware.

OP
OP
Vanillalite

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really get the hate for the touchbar. My previous work computer was a 15 inch macbook pro and I thought the touchbar was fine. Well, other than accidentally hitting the siri button when I go for delete. The keyboard did suck though.

However, that starting price of $1799 will keep me from buying one.

The touch bar adds to the starting price. Fine isn't good enough if it's gonna bump the cost up $200-$300 dollars.

Gohlad

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The touch bar adds to the starting price. Fine isn't good enough if it's gonna bump the cost up $200-$300 dollars.

Yep, or they should seriously make an effort to add some useful features to it, to make it worth the price increase. But to be honest, I can't think of something that they could implement to justify a 200-300€ price increase.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Should we expect an update for non-touchbar models in the near future? I'm in the market for one atm, but I don't want to get shafted if I pull the trigger on one now.

Scratching my head tbh. The touch bar adds functionality, therefore you'd be missing functionality if it were removed, not vice versa.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Scratching my head tbh. The touch bar adds functionality, therefore you'd be missing functionality if it were removed, not vice versa.

This. Also, spending $2300 on a laptop and worrying about $50-100. That's some BS....

At this point wanting a macbook without touch bar is like wanting an old school iPod instead of a Touch. Sure, they both play music - but the touch functionality became standard.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
Apple is rumoured to be going to USB-C for their phones/tablet chargers starting this year. And no, the port on the tablet will still be lightning but the port on the charger will be USB-C instead of USB-A.