• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aleman

Dec 20, 2018
My iPad Pro just sits unused as I just end up using my phone. Personally, I think the iPad is useless in todays world

Try leaving your phone plugged in by the door and just using your iPad at home. That's what I do; I got tired of squinting at a small screen and having a low battery when leaving the house.

Brewm0nt

Dec 22, 2017
Orlando, FL
My iPad Pro just sits unused as I just end up using my phone. Personally, I think the iPad is useless in todays world
I have a very specific use case for mine:

I use a personal MacBook Air attached to a monitor for work, iPhone for when I'm totally on the go, and then since I travel for work, the iPad ends up being a media device for the flights, and a portable second screen. They all have their purpose for me.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
iPad Pro + Mac Mini is the best setup I've ever had. It's a cheap Mac for the odd scenario I need a Mac, and the iPad Pro + Magic Keyboard is my "laptop".

It works for me. 🤷‍♂️

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
It's so sad that this old 5k iMac is still one of the best displays simply because it's 5k and not 4k 🙄

A Mac Mini M1 should be a good compromise, but that Studio display is just too expensive imo
Displays have advanced A LOT in the past 6+ years.

I think if you spend a lot of time in front of a PC I actually think the display is probably more important than the specs to most people. Obviously different if you are a pro and need a power hungry PC, but for most people thats probably the most important part of the computer.

I don't mind spending money on a display but value wise $4k is a lot for computer in 2022. And I know I wouldn't get any real benefit from those specs other than the satisfaction that apps open really fucking fast. I don't even game on the PC anymore.

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Mac Studio with the M1 Max chip is great value. It is priced really well.

The Mac Studio Display is a bit disappointing for me. I really wanted to get one when the rumors were flying around but this thing leaves a lot to be desired.
I was willing to sacrifice on screen size (I prefer 32"+) but this display has no HDR, no good refresh rate, and no daisy chain support.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Displays have advanced A LOT in the past 6+ years.

I think if you spend a lot of time in front of a PC I actually think the display is probably more important than the specs to most people. Obviously different if you are a pro and need a power hungry PC, but for most people thats probably the most important part of the computer.

I don't mind spending money on a display but value wise $4k is a lot for computer in 2022. And I know I wouldn't get any real benefit from those specs other than the satisfaction that apps open really fucking fast. I don't even game on the PC anymore.
But the Studio display isn't that. An A13 inside doesn't help with the lack of HDR or higher refresh rates. That's why I think it's overpriced. Everything I use 90% of the time supports HDR for example, that's they didn't include that really confuses me. And you don't need a mini led display for 5000€ to do that

MTR

Oct 27, 2017

I agree I think iPad has become useless today outside of very specific use cases. Doesn't help that Apple hasn't really given iPad os the love it deserves. If you use an Apple Pencil its great.

I've moved from iMac / iPad Pro / iPhone to MacBook Pro / Pro Max now.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
iPad Pro 12.9" with the MiniLED and M1 is like, the best internet browsing device of all time.

Massive screen. Beautiful and fast and responsive. Can easily shoot off some texts, send some emails, and browse the internet, watch Youtube videos, check Twitter, etc.

Is it absolute overkill for that? Yes, absolutely. But so is most modern iPhone in today's world. Does it make life a lot more enjoyable? Sure does. Personally, I think the iPad Pro 12.9 is the best device Apple currently makes. And I say that as someone with an M1 Max MBP.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
But the Studio display isn't that. An A13 inside doesn't help with the lack of HDR or higher refresh rates. That's why I think it's overpriced. Everything I use 90% of the time supports HDR for example, that's they didn't include that really confuses me. And you don't need a mini led display for 5000€ to do that
What is the chip for then?

Pheonix Will

Sep 6, 2021

Agreed across the board, especially for the price being paid. They want to selll this to creators? Creators are swiftly shifting over to using HDR in their work processes, they've been hamstrung before the product is released. Not to mention, this thing will last a few years.

This thing is past before its even out.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
iPad is my most used and liked tech purchase. Why use the phone in the evening when I can use the bigger screen. But my use case is consumption and light office work.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Would be nice if I could use the Studio Display with alternative inputs. It's a rare use case, but I use it often enough to warrant using a LG 4K display that supports HDMI in addition to USBC.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That list has to be outdated because I spent a bunch of time with Arturia and NI plug-ins in December on a 2021 M1 Pro MacBook.

Arturia, Native Instruments, Eventide, GRM Tools, Soundtoys, FabFilter, at least some Plug-in Alliance stuff, Izotope, Waves… all working here, at least the ones I use regularly from those companies.

I think the main hold ups are iLok related issues and Montgomery issues rather than M1 or Rosetta.
Yes, I'm going off of this compatibility matrix which does seem to be out of date for Arturia:

www.pro-tools-expert.com

Apple macOS Monterey Audio Compatibility Chart

Giving you information on Apple macOS Monterey audio compatibility for audio plugins and hardware. The most comprehensive database on the web. Updated daily.

As for Native Instruments, there are still quite a few holdouts among their huge suite of VIs.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017

It's the opposite for me. Always carrying my iPad Pro with me everywhere.
Not really using my iphone unless i have to. And using my 16 inch MacBook Pro at a desk for work mostly.

I think iPad is the best device for todays world.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
It's the opposite for me. Always carrying my iPad Pro with me everywhere.
Not really using my iphone unless i have to. And using my 16 inch MacBook Pro at a desk for work mostly.

I think iPad is the best device for todays world.

Same. Well, I guess I don't know about "best," phones are pretty essential, but my iPad is my favorite piece of tech I own. I read on it, watch YouTube and tv in bed, take notes at work, read an answer emails, read magazines and PDFs…

All of which I could technically do on my phone, but it's a way better experience on an iPad.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
iPad Pro + Mac Mini is the best setup I've ever had. It's a cheap Mac for the odd scenario I need a Mac, and the iPad Pro + Magic Keyboard is my "laptop".

It works for me. 🤷‍♂️

I was looking for a M1Pro Mac Mini to be announced today, which would be my perfect product. Now I have to decide between a M1 Mini and a M1Max studio (which is almost certainly overkill)

dc3k

Feb 10, 2018
not america
Upgrading from a 5th gen iPad, and I am having a tough time justifying this new Air. The 64GB option is not enough, so I would go with 256GB. However that brings the price up significantly to $950. When comparing to the 3rd gen 11" Pro at $1000:

Pro has 128GB, Air has 256GB.
Pro has better speakers.
Pro has 120Hz.

Ignoring camera spec bump since I don't care.

It seems like the Pro is a better choice for me? I am not concerned about having half the storage if I get a significant screen and speaker upgrade for $50. Am I missing anything?

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I was looking for a M1Pro Mac Mini to be announced today, which would be my perfect product. Now I have to decide between a M1 Mini and a M1Max studio (which is almost certainly overkill)

I get that. I don't need anything beyond the M1 for my use case. These are my personal machines, not for work.

I am super jealous of those front ports though. I would upgrade to an eventual M2 mini just for that. Lol.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
M2 Mini this summer is very likely.

I get that. I don't need anything beyond the M1 for my use case. These are my personal machines, not for work.

I am super jealous of those front ports though. I would upgrade to an eventual M2 mini just for that. Lol.

I'm debating whether or not just to pull the plug on a 16GB M1 Mini, or wait. The M2 is unlikely to be a big upgrade, but there is still currently a higher end Mac Mini that's still Intel. The hope would be that they maybe upgrade it to M1Pro when they update the line…

M2 Mini $699

M1Pro Mini $1199

M1Max Studio $1999

M1Ultra Studio $3999

Is a pretty comprehensive and well rounded line up.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Upgrading from a 5th gen iPad, and I am having a tough time justifying this new Air. The 64GB option is not enough, so I would go with 256GB. However that brings the price up significantly to $950. When comparing to the 3rd gen 11" Pro at $1000:

Pro has better speakers.
Pro has 120Hz.

It seems like the Pro is a better choice for me? I am not concerned about having half the storage if I get a significant screen and speaker upgrade for $50. Am I missing anything?
You aren't missing anything. New Air is overpriced. It should have been 128GB for base version and 256GB should have been at most $100 extra.

Edit: I have 12.9" iPad Pro 2nd gen and its fast enough for what I do, but I'd love a bit smaller screen. But not at that price.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I'm debating whether or not just to pull the plug on a 16GB M1 Mini, or wait. The M2 is unlikely to be a big upgrade, but there is still currently a higher end Mac Mini that's still Intel. The hope would be that they maybe upgrade it to M1Pro when they update the line…

M2 Mini $699

M1Pro Mini $1199

M1Max Studio $1999

M1Ultra Studio $3999

Is a pretty comprehensive and well rounded line up.

An M1 Pro mini does seem possible since the Intel model hung around.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Happy with my (OG Butterfly mechanism keyboard) 12" MacBook (2016) until the redesigned MacBook Air comes along, happy with my 11" iPad Pro until the mini-LED version and happy with my iPhone 12 mini for another two and a half years.

Absolutely nothing for me today, but I am glad that the new Studio range is a hit … 😊

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017

Pro has better speakers.
Pro has 120Hz.

I've not bought an iPad in years and honestly, not completely sold on the pricing of the Airs. I just need something that works within the ecosystem and OneNote in particular so my eye is on a discounted 2020 iPad Air…

Aleman

Dec 20, 2018

Pro has better speakers.
Pro has 120Hz.

Nope, Pro is a much better device if 64 GB is not enough and you can live with 128 GB, just for the screen and speaker upgrade.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
iPad Air needs a rework. It's not differentiated enough from the 11" Pro, it's just confusing at this point. I'm guessing this comes down to their release schedules being staggered - ie, this 11" Air should be compared to whatever the next 11" Pro is (likely M2+MiniLED?).

The chunky Mini is pretty damn cool though. Seems to come in at US$900 cheaper than a similar-spec Macbook Pro (M1 Max 10/24, 512GB SSD, 32GB RAM), and should have better sustained performance due to improved thermals. Granted, you don't get a trackpad, keyboard, camera, microphone, speakers or screen... but it's likely that you'd have to budget for those even if you got the Macbook, assuming you wanted to set up work space for it.

If the announced monitor had been cheaper (so the cost for Mac Studio + Studio Display were closer to the Macbook Pro price) the setup might've been more appealing. At its current price, the monitor reveal was disappointing. HDR and 120Hz seemed like a given, now that their laptops and tablets and phones have them.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that continues to amaze me about Apple's production logistics is that I still can't find a retail PS5 to purchase, yet Apple is just pumping out new variants of their highly advanced M1 chip like there's no global component shortage at all.

Gohlad

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
First Geekbench benchmark of the M1 Ultra:

m1-ultraa-benchmark.jpg

By comparison the Mac Pro 28-core Intel Xeon W chip has a single-core score of 1152 and a multi-core score of 19951.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Does this kill any chance of a 27" iMac update? The studio and studio display is way more expensive

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody knows. Mark Gurman is saying he still expects one at some point.

Killing it today while the Intel Mac mini lives is curious.
Yeah. I have an old iMac 27" from 2015. I'm wondering if I should look at the Mini as a replacement with a monitor or wait until June to see if they have a new iMac.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
First Geekbench benchmark of the M1 Ultra:

m1-ultraa-benchmark.jpg

By comparison the Mac Pro 28-core Intel Xeon W chip has a single-core score of 1152 and a multi-core score of 19951.
9bMDto1.png

Sitting right next to $1400 24c/48t Threadrippers and ~$1400 Xeons. That's just Multi-core, the single-core is near consumer CPUs. Insanity. I want to see what the Mac Pro will be powered by.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I might be wrong but to me it looks like this Mac Studio is so much bigger than the Mini just because. Mini is already bigger than it would need to be for the M1 thermals and power usage, and this is twice as big as that, even if you order it with M1 Max chip. I was hoping this size increase would mean you at least get some upgrade options for it, but no.
Not sure what to think about the monitor either. Seems really expensive for what it is.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't happy with the M1 Mini - it was slower than my previous-gen Intel Mini with cheap external eGPU (the M1 Macs don't accept eGPU). The M1 Max MacBook Pro finally surpassed that old setup.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I think he meant one more product line, which is Mac Pro. There is already an Apple Silicon iMac, so that product line is already "done".

That doesn't mean there will never be a larger iMac again.
They apparently removed the Intel one:

www.theverge.com

The 27-inch iMac has been discontinued

Make way for the Mac Studio and Studio Display.

Which isn't a great indicator that they have one in the pipeline currently.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

Soybean

Nov 12, 2017
I'm in for the display. Ain't everything I wanted, but it's only $200 more than LG's 5K and significantly better in appearance, camera quality, and brightness.

First I went nano texture, then read a bunch of reviews and looked at macro photos of XDR's nano, canceled, then ordered a regular glossy screen. Now I have to wait 3 more weeks. Damn you, impulsive self!