• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
How would the pencil connect with this case on? Does that mean the connector on the pencil actually sticks out a bit? I hope not.
That's a good question, so we'll just need to wait and see. I will say that like with the X, the induction charging may still be possible with a layer in between the Pencil and Pro body. The case can have a pocket or strap to hold the Pencil in place.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
can you even have inductive charging on a long/thin thing? Closest I can think of is electric toothbrushes but they still have a round coil and have to put them on a stand

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the Macbook Pro is getting the AMD Vega 16/20 GPU starting in November apparently as a under the radar announcement.

Deleted member 29806

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Germany
There was some short glimse on a camera connected to the iPad Pro. Any info on that? SD card connector won't help much if you use XQD cards.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
is there no cover for the bigger iPad Pro that isn't a folio? Or just not yet?

I think the location of the new smart connector has to do with that. It's on the back and on the bottom of the iPad now. I was wondering how the smart covers were gonna work before today and well their answer to that was that all their official covers are folios. Maybe someone will make one that connects to where the Apple Pencil goes, but that'd mean no holder for the apple pencil.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
So the Macbook Pro is getting the AMD Vega 16/20 GPU starting in November apparently as a under the radar announcement.

Yeah, but it's just a video card upgrade on the current gen Macbook Pro 15"...so it's better, but nothing else changed (No discrete graphics on 13", no new CPU, etc.) So it makes sense to be mentioned but nothing worthy. I think all that happened is the Vega Mobile part they needed was late, and now it's not. Although honestly it really feels like external is the way to go on notebook video now, until Apple figures out an in-house solution.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I would buy the hell out of this thing, but its just useless for me thanks to iOS. All I could do on it is surfing the internet and play phone games, so it's not for me.

Oct 27, 2017
This thing basically outputs a compressed H.264 stream of the display. These new iPad Pros have actual, native external display support like a Real Computer (TM).
Well shit, maybe I should sell my current Ipad Pro and get ready for this new one....one reason i bought it was for PPT use during classes so I wouldn't have to lug my PC around and it was crap for that. Plus the new Pencil already looks better.... The one time I buy an Apple product and i get screwed in 6 months. lol

Sage

Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Would be a day 1 if they would just get over the fear of people running their own code on the device and port Xcode. I wouldn't even care if you had to use an iCloud virtual server or something instead of running it natively. Until then it'll be a MacBook Air and the entry level iPad for me.

Red or Alive

Oct 28, 2017
Apologies if this is a stupid question: will the new Apple Pencil's existence mean the original model is likely to be discounted?

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
No, since the original pencil is still needed for the $329 iPad and the 10.5" iPad Pro, both of which are still for sale.

The new Apple Pencil will only work with the new iPad Pros
How long is it going to be before Apple's product lineups aren't *all* in the middle of weird complicated transitions?

I feel like the iPhone will likely get there first (if only because there's a likely maximum of two years before the iPhone 7/8 are no longer sold new). But who knows, maybe they'll XR-ize the $329 iPad in 2019 (killing the 10.5" iPad Pro in the process) so they can more rapidly push the TouchID -> FaceID transition.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
How long is it going to be before Apple's product lineups aren't *all* in the middle of weird complicated transitions?

I feel like the iPhone will likely get there first (if only because there's a likely maximum of two years before the iPhone 7/8 are no longer sold new). But who knows, maybe they'll XR-ize the $329 iPad in 2019 (killing the 10.5" iPad Pro in the process) so they can more rapidly push the TouchID -> FaceID transition.

The iOS lines are pretty clear I think. Connectors excepted, but they want to position the iPad as a PC replacement. The Mac is going to be weird with the iMac Pro/ Mac Pro next year.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
The iOS lines are pretty clear I think. Connectors excepted, but they want to position the iPad as a PC replacement. The Mac is going to be weird with the iMac Pro/ Mac Pro next year.
Eh, I think assuming the iMac just adopts the iMac Pro's cooling system and speakers (and goes all-SSD like the rest of Apple's lineup) there'll still be clear differentiation when it comes to sheer CPU/GPU horsepower and RAM quality (and, uh, cool space gray accessories).

It's possible we could see both of them get a chassis update in 2019, I suppose (I still think FaceID makes a lot of sense for the iMac).

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
Is that Hideo Kojima in new Mac commercial? :)

Y8Glt20.png

https://youtu.be/RBDxZYLi630?t=14

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It wouldn't be the first time:
comment_lqryqclrevys8dacsz.jpg

I've seen people claim that this was taken for a magazine ad of the Powerbook 520c, but haven't seen the source. It could also just have been an interview with some publication. Looks like something I'd have seen in a '90s PC magazine.

I didn't know Kojima starred in The Matrix

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Watching that ad.. all I'm thinking is "The apple logo not illuminating anymore is the biggest downgrade ever" :D
I always hated that because sunlight would shine through the screen if it was bright day outside, since it was a window to the other side of the backlight rather than being illuminated by separate LEDs.
4j75hdf4h3z0187fvy.jpg

(first Google Image result I got)

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I always hated that because sunlight would shine through the screen if it was bright day outside, since it was a window to the other side of the backlight rather than being illuminated by separate LEDs.
4j75hdf4h3z0187fvy.jpg

(first Google Image result I got)

Oh wow, I didn't know about this somehow. Was this the case for all their laptops or just MacBook Air? I only really owned the Pro lines and mostly used it inside (not by a window apparently).

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, I didn't know about this somehow. Was this the case for all their laptops or just MacBook Air? I only really owned the Pro lines and mostly used it inside (not by a window apparently).
All Macs as far back as I can remember. I never had a Powerbook G3 so I can't say if it was affected by this, but it was definitely an issue on the Powerbook G4.
It was a neat idea to reuse the backlight like that, since it meant you could have an illuminated logo without any additional power draw, but I would often run into that problem on bright days.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Eh, I think assuming the iMac just adopts the iMac Pro's cooling system and speakers (and goes all-SSD like the rest of Apple's lineup) there'll still be clear differentiation when it comes to sheer CPU/GPU horsepower and RAM quality (and, uh, cool space gray accessories).

It's possible we could see both of them get a chassis update in 2019, I suppose (I still think FaceID makes a lot of sense for the iMac).

I meant with the new Mac Pro coming. It's going to be headless of course, but I can't imagine that being the only differentiator. And I'm wondering if the iMac Pro still has a place in the line when you have Apple made monitors and headless Mac Pro's again. I could be totally off base, but I would think most IT departments would rather buy those than all in one units.

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
Alright. Mac Mini it is. 6 Core model, with the intention to upgrade the ram and get an EGPU down the line.
They are saying this one will be user upgradable, right? Can't go about bragging SO-DIMM and then solder the whole thing shut.

Want the OS and a tiny (mostly) silent system for what little web browsing, music listening and indie/retro gaming I do. Already moved mostly over to using my iPhone and iPad Pro, so I'm in the ecosystem. Need to go deeper!

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Watching that ad.. all I'm thinking is "The apple logo not illuminating anymore is the biggest downgrade ever" :D

Initially I thought the same when they announced the redesign. But now I think it looks super nice. And the illuminating logo looks kind of clumsy and retro-ish.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Initially I thought the same when they announced the redesign. But now I think it looks super nice. And the illuminating logo looks kind of clumsy and retro-ish.
I guess it could be nostalgia but that ad made it look so iconic lol. The glowing Apple. I love the designs of the recent MacBook lineups though.

Genocyber

Jan 31, 2018
Apple needs to bring back both the glowing Apple logo and MagSafe connector.

These are sorely missed on the newer machines.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
MagSafe at least. And while we're at it, the Happy Mac, rainbow stripes, serif fonts and DogCow!

But seriously, MagSafe is a big bummer of a loss. Especially since it was a safety thing. Makes no sense to remove it completely. Did they do testing and find that no one ever tripped over their cords anymore? Because that seems silly.

Genocyber

Jan 31, 2018
If all USB-C ports can charge the Mac than Apple could have added another charging port with a MagSafe connector.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
If all USB-C ports can charge the Mac than Apple could have added another charging port with a MagSafe connector.

Well you can buy one of those things on Amazon.

Anyhow I have just adjusted the way I use my laptops and with current battery tech it is not a big deal. You usually don't need to have your laptop plugged in. You charge it at a desk, and when your out and about you use the battery. No need to travel and have it plugged in so that you would worry about kicking the cord so that MagSafe would have saved you.

If you have A desk setup then just plug it in so that you wouldn't worry about kicking the cord.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
MagSafe is a big bummer of a loss. Especially since it was a safety thing. Makes no sense to remove it completely. Did they do testing and find that no one ever tripped over their cords anymore? Because that seems silly.
Especially as Macs got thinner and lighter, I've seen many of them pulled off desks from people tripping over the cord.
The original MagSafe connectors, and MagSafe 2, only protected against vertical movement. Unless the edge of the notebook was at the edge of the desk, so that the MagSafe connector was hanging over it, it wouldn't do a lot to protect the device.
If the cord was pulled over the edge of the desk, it meant that the force directed on the connector was horizontal and would still pull the notebook.

Here's a quick example that I found:

It's not MagSafe 1 vs 2 as they claim however; both are MagSafe 1 connectors.
Their conclusion is that the original connector is better, but I greatly preferred the L-shaped connector.

They were far more durable in my experience, and if you are at a desk, the L-shaped connector meant that the cable would hang over the back rather than the side. That meant if someone walking past were to catch the cable on something or trip on it, it would pull the connector off.
If someone is walking past the regular MagSafe connector and it catches or they trip over it, that movement is still going to pull it off the desk.

MagSafe was a big improvement over the barrel connectors on older devices though. I've seen so many PowerBooks with bent corners because the casing was made of soft aluminum and it would bend if someone tripped on the cord.
I do generally prefer the magnetic connection, as it does a good job protecting the port, even from things like a cable being bent in it if you are using it plugged in on your lap, it just didn't do nearly as good a job protecting the device as claimed.